Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had to look up MPA, do you think adding progesterone would be good for the hair? I so, at what dosing/interval and administration route? I think the hairloss hast stopped, I'm really hopeful I can get back to where I was a couple of months ago.
I am puzzled why you don't hear more about MPA in the hair context as well. It is a progestin like CPA and high dosages have similar effects but I think that MPA, also known as provera or depo-provera when injected acts similarly to large rectal or injected amounts of progesterone, which is another thing always seems like it should be more important to HRT but eh. Certainly, the 100 mg swallowed that most of us take, provide little hormone that is usable.

Franz, I am really, really down on basically all HRT meds. There is something compelling about it, setting up or establishing a protocol especially when one can buy offshore and overrule one's doctor, as well as the permutations of different meds compared to FtMs, how use one. Newbies ask questions right off the bat about changing protocols or AA and it is always related to something they have heard about breast growth.

Long story short: One thing that was sort of thrilling with @bridgeburn was the way that he kept popping up with this eclectic mix of different meds, all of which were alleged to grow hair in some context. It seemed with @bridgeburn we were learning about using different AA's or oral minoxidil but everything seemed to work for him. The dice were hot.

Now partially, my goal is to be boring and show that all you need is love, er, estradiol and none of the rest. I have used oral minoxidil for about 17 days as well ~ 12.5mg eyeballed. It think that it is like comparing a cocktail to scotch neat. Both can get you there but with the skill of the average weekend cocktail mixer, I will stick with the scotch. AA's tend not to be very expensive except for bica and the 'mides but if people can do HRT or regrow hair and they only need one med, that doesn't have to be adjusted but only titrated. Much less complicated and if it works, then I don't know why people would use three meds when only one can do the job. Obviously, different for cis-males but I am afraid that the AA thing, especially with bica, just raises the cost and the complexity and also AA's seem implicated in lots of sheds, which is me of course. So I will be watching to see if any others rely only or mostly on estrogen because in HRT, mono estradiol therapy is pretty chic. Goddess Bless.

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am puzzled why you don't hear more about MPA in the hair context as well. It is a progestin like CPA and high dosages have similar effects but I think that MPA, also known as provera or depo-provera when injected acts similarly to large rectal or injected amounts of progesterone, which is another thing always seems like it should be more important to HRT but eh. Certainly, the 100 mg swallowed that most of us take, provide little hormone that is usable.

Franz, I am really, really down on basically all HRT meds. There is something compelling about it, setting up or establishing a protocol especially when one can buy offshore and overrule one's doctor, as well as the permutations of different meds compared to FtMs, how use one. Newbies ask questions right off the bat about changing protocols or AA and it is always related to something they have heard about breast growth.

Long story short: One thing that was sort of thrilling with @bridgeburn was the way that he kept popping up with this eclectic mix of different meds, all of which were alleged to grow hair in some context. It seemed with @bridgeburn we were learning about using different AA's or oral minoxidil but everything seemed to work for him. The dice were hot.

Now partially, my goal is to be boring and show that all you need is love, er, estradiol and none of the rest. I have used oral minoxidil for about 17 days as well ~ 12.5mg eyeballed. It think that it is like comparing a cocktail to scotch neat. Both can get you there but with the skill of the average weekend cocktail mixer, I will stick with the scotch. AA's tend not to be very expensive except for bica and the 'mides but if people can do HRT or regrow hair and they only need one med, that doesn't have to be adjusted but only titrated. Much less complicated and if it works, then I don't know why people would use three meds when only one can do the job. Obviously, different for cis-males but I am afraid that the AA thing, especially with bica, just raises the cost and the complexity and also AA's seem implicated in lots of sheds, which is me of course. So I will be watching to see if any others rely only or mostly on estrogen because in HRT, mono estradiol therapy is pretty chic. Goddess Bless.
Anecdotally I think people’s response to the different AA’s seems to vary a lot and I have no idea why. Different people have vastly different experiences. You can find people who have tried all 3 of the primary AA’s and there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on which is the most effective. spironolactone is objectively the weakest but some actually report that it’s the best for hair growth. I got the worst sexual sides on spironolactone as well. The only thing consistent across the spectrum when it comes to transitioning (and aggressive hairloss treatments) is that things are never consistent. People’s sensitivity and response to estrogen also seems to vary a lot.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anecdotally I think people’s response to the different AA’s seems to vary a lot and I have no idea why. Different people have vastly different experiences. You can find people who have tried all 3 of the primary AA’s and there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on which is the most effective. spironolactone is objectively the weakest but some actually report that it’s the best for hair growth. I got the worst sexual sides on spironolactone as well. The only thing consistent across the spectrum when it comes to transitioning (and aggressive hairloss treatments) is that things are never consistent. People’s sensitivity and response to estrogen also seems to vary a lot.
You hear so much about the purported sides that it makes it easier to conjure them up. I mean, what is brain fog? Then we have feature search where say spironolactone is working fine but the person switches to bicalutamide because someone said that it was good for breasts or hair.

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JaneyElizabeth I've heard that synthetic progestins like MPA and CPA have mostly fallen out of favor since they can come with risk of long term side effects, like liver problems, whereas bioidentical progesterone generally has fewer side effects. Same with synthetic estrogens like are used in older oral contraceptives

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JaneyElizabeth I've heard that synthetic progestins like MPA and CPA have mostly fallen out of favor since they can come with risk of long term side effects, like liver problems, whereas bioidentical progesterone generally has fewer side effects. Same with synthetic estrogens like are used in older oral contraceptives
All synthetics have fallen out of favor which is another thing that promotes E2-only. Since HRT is for life or at least until one goes off it, they do squawk a lot about the liver. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Premarin is what I was on until June and it did right by me for two years at very low doses.

Last edited:

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I aleady tried cpa and it gave me severe depression. If mpa is anything like cpa, I think I'd be best to avoid it.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
More HRT pics, before and after of cis-males with perfect male hair and still sporting enormous "improvement" not related to increased hair counts. I harp on this aspect which others might fail to see the importance of, because I believe the same factor, estrogen is doing all of the work and somehow, even great caucasian hair for cis-males can still be improved in an ineffable sense:

I note lastly, that in all races, HRT appears to noticeably lighten skin tone more or less equally, for Asians, blacks and whites. This is often unacknowledged. Freckling can both disappear in areas heavily afflicted by the sun but they can also appear facially in a female context. Generally in my opinion, they look cute. It may increase absorption of vitamin D but since this appears present in all races, it is perhaps not related in any way to the survival of the fittest except in the sense that folks with lighter skin have often had a more privileged upbringing and not out working in the sun and also because fair skin seems to be "attractive" to many, although certainly not built for war or brambles or the desert.

What's it got to do with hair? Well, something is purportedly orchestrating skin changes in both scalp skin and in skin in its entirety so it might be relevant. In the "caveman" context both scalp hair and beard hair seem equally important in terms of avoiding the elements but some conjecture that in a northern European context, that beards were actually more useful to males than was scalp hair. Beards are obviously also an instantly noticeable sexual dimorphic change and related entirely to increases in testosterone. Beards play important signaling processes for whites and that is why, I come down pretty hard but in a good way, on cis-males who don't remove their beards who want to pass as cis-female. Except with the puberty blocker folks or those with scant beards like Asians or Native Americans, retention of beard follicles, even shaved is an obvious no-no. This is true not only with respect to passing but also, even more so, with respect to being perceived as an attractive person, who is not dangerous to unknown third parties. Beard follicles scream testosterone, which screams hormonal function and "danger" to people outside of one's tribal community.

Finally, here is equal time to those who find that full heads of male hair can be just as attractive. This person is at mid-point but to me, she already had hair to die for with subtle rolling curves which she doesn't have any longer. This person's hair, to me, is the goal that I have for all of you guys in the Brad Pitt sense:

https://www.reddit.com/r/transtimelines/comments/jl8hvz/6_months_hrt_left_day_1_right_day_180_3/

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
HRT Regrowth out of a slick bald scalp:

I think that many on here are aware of this gal and she might have posted a few times. I love seeing something that virtually all hospital/university sites allege to be, if not impossible, highly improbable. My comment/question is as follows:

JaneyElizabeth:

The 64K question since I have seen you on hair loss talk and other places is why are you now wearing wigs? I don't ask this to be mean. I am in a similar situation where even though I wasn't bald, my hair has improved greatly. I remain in my wig, though because my own hair is not as attractive, fuller though it may be.

Did you stall at pic 3, which is still an instance of hair growth from slick bald scalp, which many of the hospital sites claim to be impossible (while alleging or implying noticeable breast growth in everyone) but then the next 3 pics to me, diminish the power of your "hair" testimonial. They are wigs and each is progressively easier to spot than the one before. I understand also, that like me, you are not only focused on hair. The wig pics are intended more so to show your journey towards femininity. I provide copious pics of both hair and other "results" on my site and places where I camp out like hairlosstalk.

I note that in a post further down the scrolling page, OP mentions that her reason for wigs is similar to mine.

It is a strange thing seeing my life-long goal of restoring a full head of hair moving towards completion with me still contemplating continuing with wigs. People know me this way and I prefer my hair longer but the goal remains no wig due to my own hair being just as good.(Goddess continue to bless me because at 56 years of age, I continue to be extremely greedy hair-wise. Considering that I started balding significantly at age 19, having as much hair as I do now is all but miraculous but HRT-effects seem to be very much independent of age).

Please consider contributing here again:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/exploring-the-hormonal-route-hair-life.109288/page-593

Full head of hair or not, you will be like a rock star over there because virtually all of the non-trans folks would kill for the mediocre (apart from the impossibility of it according to the gatekeepers) hair you have in pic 3, since it is actually styleable and provides coverage to the entire scalp and crown. Your pic three would be essentially my pic one but it still provides plenty of visual evidence.
I love that four of the six shirts are the same but you probably needed to do a wash for the other two, lol? Poor cis-male you, got the grungy t-shirt.

I also love your facial impressions because I do that too. In my situation, I can actually make attractive grimaces and different sorts of smiles that I could not achieve physically before HRT which has some effects on facial muscles and fat re-distribution.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
They might be but I have seen little or nothing related to the process by which reductase inhibitors do their dirty work. How is it that Duta's specs are so much better but that many find Finasteride to work more or less just as well? I know of no studies comparing them.
Because I have gained an hour and feel like writing I am going to give a long-winded answer but long story short, unless someone is rich, he or she doesn't need both. I don't think that it is counterproductive however but simply eh. It is similar to the three main AA's in that you don't need more than one although reductase inhibitors are far more benign than AA's.

So I was able to go on proscar really early after it came out and I used to bite the tablets four times. I never saw any sides including new growth or hair loss but I had decent coverage and was in my 30's and didn't sweat it. Because I alleged prostate issues in my family, I was able to get the 5 mg version and it was much cheaper. I might have bought it offshore but usually I had a prescription. When the transgender issue raised its pretty head, I sought treatment and without going into a lot of details, the prescribing doctor put me on dutasteride so now I had two doctors prescribing and it was all covered by insurance. Neat, huh?

I had used minoxidil for many years and it was pretty eh but I wasn't actively losing hair.
Changed my mind about making this long. It's a female's prerogative. But I always remain "as ordens" as we say in Brazil and please feel free to DM me at any time.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are Hair Loss Journeys Nothing More Than Contrived Cis-Male Whining?

I think that many of us feel somewhat guilty for caring so much about hair loss. Our grandfathers were working in steel mills and coal mines and they didn't have the bandwidth to address hair loss nor were there any medications until late in the 20th century. Of course, it would be trite to over-analyze this aspect but men were men and females were female and rarely the twain did meet.

Now we have two reliable medications that cause little to no feminization and which are highly efficacious. For over 80 percent of us, particularly younger guys, finasteride and Duta can stop hair loss cold. But the guilt is palpable among the male balding cohort for even using these. You might miss an erection or two or your fertility might be temporarily affected or not only that. Morning wood complaints are numerous and these guys seem to be actively looking for sides.

Most notice no feminization artifacts ever nor do they ever experience sides and yet, XY's remain conflicted about reductase inhibitors and many males actively attempt to dissuade others from using them. Many of the "stories" on Tressless are shamelessly contrived, not to mention apparently written by guys who can neither read nor scroll because they ask the same vapid questions again and again and they already know the answers.

I am going to make a list of best questions on Tressless to kid those less fortunate than I. Humor about others is a big thing now online I have noticed. When Covid-19 commenced, I started looking for things to do and I am smart and good at separating the wheat from the chaff.

But something very common to lawyers and therapists soon began. I began to dislike my clients just as had happened to me earlier in life as a criminal defense lawyer.

I started to get fed up at "volunteering" my time and began somewhat mocking the very people that I sought to help. I then moved to the trans sites and every Goddess-damned question is about breast growth. The level of discourse on such sites is often poor and people get their feelings hurt easily which is also tiresome. They also cling to whatever notions they want to cling to, regardless of the evidence and data and somehow become invested in their HRT and baldness protocols.

An online friend balding since 15, recommended this thread and I became easily enthralled but also annoyed because there was no way to scroll and literally one had to click, where are we now, 600 times to consume the entire thread. I usually petered out around page 15 and then would start over. Now I know how to enter a particular page number but we still can't scroll over impertinent comments.

@bridgeburn had found a marketing technique by starting this thread which resulted in his both restoring his hairline and getting acclaim here for doing so. It began as sort of a 95 theses related to hair restoration and as he commented in serial form, it was easy to get really interested in what he was doing in the cis-male context. Obviously, trans MtFs had been using these meds for 70 years with little interest until Cait Jenner came out.

Every single thing that Mr. Bridgeburn tried worked for him. He shifted AA's frequently and they all worked for him and I don't remember his ever mentioning unwanted sides. Unlike everyone else virtually, he never had sheds. Oral minoxidil? No sides there either even though many report significant unwanted hair growth. He did mention his arms getting hairy. I had my arms "done" on Friday in 20 minutes for $125 so the excess hair issue is probably not a reason to not try oral minoxidil. I gained 20 pounds immediately in about two weeks and now I have gotten 8 or so pounds to drop off in a couple of days so oral minoxidil might play havoc with body weight but of course, that stabilizes.

Back to Mr. Bridgeburn. It became obvious early on that he was going to succeed in his hair quest and the fact that he had rock star long curls was intriguing.

"You can't recapture the past". But maybe we can.

The disappointment seemed palpable however when he announced significant breast growth which all of you had predicted even though I continue harping on the fact that significant breast growth only occurs in fewer than 20 percent of MtFs and over half have breasts sized AA or less and on a broad male frame, AA's are inconsequential. Cup size, here, not the meds.

Many, if not most MtFs get breast augmentation (over 50 percent). They struggle with breast growth and become obsessed with it in exactly the same way that many of us do with male pattern baldness. Rube Goldberg-esque protocols are often employed and MtFs set alarm clocks to ring in the middle of the night to ensure the half-lives of their meds remain steady, lest their breasts recoil or fail to begin or get "stalled" which is an MtF euphemism for that's all folks, in terms of developing more breast tissue.

We have breast data going back decades and no one's boobs are getting any better or bigger non-surgically in the MtF community.

In the cis-male context, many purported hair loss gurus had enormous, "stick to the wall stacks" that they had no idea about in terms of synergy. Cis-males love to tinker. Complexity is often sought. If restoring hair loss or growing breasts was easy, then everyone would do it and where's the fun in that? Everyone waited breathlessly for Mr. Bridgeburn to schedule his gyno (guy-no!) removal when he announced that he had no intention to do so, ever. In fact, he liked them!

Probably the thread declined at this point since @bridgeburn had done nothing more than what thousands of MtFs do every day.

We know that hair restoration is possible for MtFs but only at the price of random-sized boobs so that doesn't bother balding cis-males too much. But in a male-context, MtFs are cheating to restore their hair so eh. What helps to bring the two groups together is restoring a full head of hair is hard and many MtFs never experience significant hair regrowth. There are no statistics to my knowledge but it is clear that breasts are the MtF obsession, not hair and hair protocols are rarely discussed on the reddit sites. Like many folks with great hair (all?) breast growth came easily to me and it was unnervingly, in a good way, similar to a teenage girl in how extended and thorough the process was. It's easy to grow boobs when one isn't trying, though and I never tried, Goddess knows.

So, honestly, Mr. Bridgeburn failed in his quest in terms of his stated intentions and he didn't cross back over, which remains the Holy Grail of using HRT to restore a full head of hair. Not only that, in my view, his facial "results" as an MtF were exceptional and he began to look less and less male. I got impatient in my own situation and I sought tweaks that were non-surgical in nature but he wasn't trying to pass. Generally, with MtFs from what I have viewed, the phrase "garbage in, garbage out" reigns. Good looking males say between 5' 5" and 5' 10" usually improve their looks in terms of Greek ideals and less attractive males, less so. That's another reason that I enjoy the MtF full head of hair pics, before and after.

Passing is no longer the goal. Instead, passing with style and panache became my quest. Merely passing is for the less refined. I remain a snob. I sought to become more attractive in a non-binary context, meaning becoming more attractive in a male context and also in a female context. My wife remained unimpressed though so I proselytize only for people to do "this" as safely and as sensibly as possible while retaining "reasonable expectations". I am vain and prideful enough to believe that I have found better ways but none of this relates to HRT, which remains a hit and miss process for pretty much everybody. What we are trying to do as males in a caucasian context is hard, and close to impossible throughout history.

I recommend that individuals change their expectations from merely restoration and rather towards becoming more attractive males. This is another bugaboo but I no longer care and I freely analyze male "beauty" and there is nothing to feel guilty about trying to do so. The focus changes however and hair loss becomes just part of the mix of things that make any cis-male attractive. @bridgeburn became adorable but in the cis-male world, no one wanted anything but his hair since he looked young and girlish (in a good way, lol). It is very strange analyzing someone that I have never met or interacted with and I continue to view him as a pioneer and nothing that I say should be viewed as derogatory but as he stated, "he had hair and a life and was ready to move on".

It was one of the coolest send-offs ever even though he backslid and would comment from time to time but the fact is that he didn't finish the process.

Even the MtFs who posted and who were out were suffering from serious sheds and I became concerned about all of the medication switching. FtMs only use T or maybe DHT on their organs but they don't sit around conjecturing.

They closed the DIY FtM reddit site and I think that I know why. Aside from the legal issues with procuring T which is a highly regulated medication, their sites were boring and there was little to discuss and the "men" on these sites would put up transition pics and ask for feedback and then whine to the moderators if someone said that they were eh as a male or Goddess-forbid, beginning to bald. I am not politically correct and I know that being trans allows me to make certain observations that others cannot but to me, eh, FtM sites are full of cis-females who continue to have the ethic of cis-females and eh, that's probably all that I should say.

But their "results" are rarely refined and often easily clockable, which given that most of them are under 170 cm's and petite in breadth isn't hard to do. Last time that I looked they were discussing why peeing standing up was so much better than squatting or using a funnel on camping trips, which is mindless and to me, embarrassing.

As my digression continues--I gained an hour today!

And nope, sorry, the beards don't look authentic or impressive and the neck to toe body hair is not something that MtFs find endearing or really even understand. I know no cis-males who seek to become head to toe bears and most would consider this gross--note that male body builders don't do this but almost every pic on the more revelatory sites show FtM men with incredible body hair coverage, anus included, sigh, and it still doesn't look cis-male-like.

It looks contrived and hyper-male and MtFs have their own issues with seeking hyper-femininity related to tits and nipple size and *** size and even bimbofication so it can become just as zany and unrealistic for people purporting to try to pass; instead, inside the goal becomes to become hyper-specimens of the opposite sex. It is often poorly thought out and based on stereotypes and it makes me feel uneasy every single time. To me, chest binding by anyone is antiquated and if a certain goal requires binding then all of us should run in the opposite direction. FtMs sit around discussing which binders work best which simply makes me shudder. They love pics where they make disparaging "remarks" with their hands or fingers or where they hold their crotch which is not something I ever did and certainly not in a picture posted on the internet.

I recently encountered one guy who in my view, had just destroyed his looks to the point of annihilation by using testosterone and he was perfectly happy in his new life, growing his new dick out of his arm, apparently. I stopped following this person because I found him horrendously ugly and scarred and just three years earlier, this had been a very pretty girl. I am not against it and I am not against breast removal but it does mar one's body and it leave horrendous scars so just telling people to get surgery is not cognizant of what a difficult decision breast removal should be.

Back to the corset or worse, which is not very "male" or female at all. I would never recommend a binder to anyone following my path. Breast growth is a possibility. Man up and take what you get but hiding them by binding them in shame is no way to increase self-esteem.

Goddess bless. I am libertarian but many trans folks have to get off the high horse of superiority and be more "normal".

MtFs and cis-males using hormones have the possibility of greatly increasing their attractiveness as males, per se and I encourage a more global goal, including not seeking the ability to wear their hair long. That just ain't gonna happen for any cis-males who eschew copious amounts of estrogen, which of course makes them infertile and susceptible to looking less attractive depending upon what they use as factors in being attractive, i.e., male face but not too male or squarish, being tall, lean, muscular, broad, maybe expert in copulation ability and size, income, etc. as these are things that cis-females look for when considering mating. @bridgeburn and I are both petite in height, size and breadth and those to me are the most important factors in achieving one's goals in an MtF context but of course, MtFs whine about the unfairness of petite folks passing more easily to which I say, yes, it is unfair but ask the Goddess why, not me.

Even worse are the MtFs, who are usually over 190 cm denying that their height in any way makes them less likely to pass. "It's all about how you handle yourself", they say, which is major BS when a person has a booming voice and broad shoulders and a square neck and head. Of course, anyone over 190 cm is unlikely to pass in public but one tends to get shouted down for telling the simple truth. Being MtF, outside of puberty blocker context is incredibly influenced by size factors and many of the younger non-puberty blocker gals are desperate to stop growing taller so just like anti-finasteride types, in come the "helpful" people telling them that size doesn't matter and making them feel guilty for trying to use HRT so that they don't pass 190 cm. Sigh.

For cis-males, however:

Pretty faces, and long curls, not so much and certainly not D cups bouncing about everywhere. White males have beards almost invariably and using facial hair is perhaps the best means aside from scalp hair styling to perfect one's look. I liked the lean, narrow-faced three day stubble look until expanding dermatitis ruined even that for me. Now I lack facial follicles pretty much entirely and that was not an easy decision to make because there is no way back, which is another hormonal theme that fascinates and scares cis-folks in terms of regret stories: "I cut off my penis and now it sucks when I go camping". MtFs actually do not cut off their penises if receiving SRS but that is the public perception.

We can all unite to try to find a solution to the shedding issue, though. That shouldn't be happening so frequently but then again, hormones are not toys; they are powerful and have to be used with respect for what they can do.

To me, this thread was and is a great idea and we deal with some of the most arcane issues in endocrinology. But it was incomplete and only one person, Mr. Bridgeburn grew cosmetically significant hair with the ability to achieve female-like locks. The rest of the guys and some gals, got bogged down and people began constantly writing about shedding and switching meds, which rang a bell since MtFs switch meds at a dime, myself included, perhaps, once, and it often indicates a type of sickness psychologically. There is only so much that can be micro-managed in life and what worked for the founder of the thread seemed highly difficult to replicate. Noah met and knows him; I am certain that he did in fact have great hair results but where does that leave the rest of us?

Last edited:

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This might be to much personal info for some of y'all, but recently I've noticed some darkening of my scrotum along the central bilateral line. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere a while ago this is a side effect of estrogen usage, right? I suppose that this could be a good sign that estriol is working for me. I've gotten no gynecomastia or anything like that

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If people don't report purported or possible sides then no one else benefits. That is an issue that I have never heard about but I am not going to say that "you should probably get that checked out" because you are an adult and adults evaluate their own risks. You can PM me about such things at any time.

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If people don't report purported or possible sides then no one else benefits. That is an issue that I have never heard about but I am not going to say that "you should probably get that checked out" because you are an adult and adults evaluate their own risks. You can PM me about such things at any time.
skin hyperpigmentation (aka melasma) is a well known side-effect of estrogen. Especially in pregnant women who may get a linea nigra, which is a dark stripe down their belly

I could have sworn that I read that scrotal skin was especially prone to hyperpigmentation during exogenous estrogen application in men and trans women but maybe I'm tweaking out and making that up

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do know that this is a bizarre sort of line that extends from the anus to the top of the scrotum or labia, which strangely enough or not, is related to ano-genital distance being significantly shorter in females, i.e, their holes are situated very close together.

It is called the raphe and it is curious to see it change during the MtF process. I don't believe that there are studies indicating that MtFs have shorter raphes due to HRT. This is relevant mostly because it becomes clear just how closely related female and male genitalia are and depending upon the person, an intersex aspect can develop in the scrotal tissue. No everyone has genital sides at all, however and I believe @bridgeburn when he says that he was copulating right to the end without issue. Many MtFs say the same thing and it puzzles me completely because I still see lack of potency as a major side and also lack of desire as a major side for many males. For me, they are features, not bugs. I had copulated enough happily and I was a straight bottom, for more TMI. Top men have their own concerns.

Last edited:

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This tells me 99% of hair loss solutions fail because the participant pulls out too early. With any one effective regimen, it's a life long process and change. Even if you don't see growth after 12 months, it doesn't necessarily mean your regimen is ineffective.

Good food for thought!

Yeah I agree with this 100% and it goes with some of what Janey was saying above. Whatever your choice of therapy, you got to stick with it to see results. Switching between AAs every two months will probably make your hair even worse than you started. Hair growth cycles take a long time.

This is why I'm going to wait a few months before I make any further changes to my regimen now that I've settled into one that I'm happy with. I'll re-evaluate next spring to see if I want to upgrade to stronger stuff.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
For those who doubt the effectiveness of spironolactone, how do you explain this case study? Bald 73 year old man (been balding for 45 years) takes spironolactone for 6 years and regrows hair. No other drugs were used. Take a look at the pic here:

View attachment 149906

Original study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1977262/

This tells me 99% of hair loss solutions fail because the participant pulls out too early. With any one effective regimen, it's a life long process and change. Even if you don't see growth after 12 months, it doesn't necessarily mean your regimen is ineffective.

Good food for thought!
Were there any other pics more representative than that? That's just minoxidil-like regrowth or finasteride-type regrowth and not cosmetically significant. I don't disagree about people changing meds so often but AA's are harsh to the body for many people and they are synthetic and can be harsh to the liver. I continue to believe what occurs in cases of AA regrowth or reductase inhibitor regrowth isn't regrowth at all. It is merely marginal hair that has largely gone out of cycle. For the time that I spend on this, that picture is unacceptable to me if that is the extent of the "regrowth". Otherwise, I agree.

Most hair loss research is accidental such as in the case of minoxidil and drugs used for prostate cancer. Clinicians certainly noticed what laymen would refer to as significant regrowth among some minoxidil users and prostate cancer victims. I just don't think that it was found to be cosmetically significant except as a vehicle to halt the balding process, not reverse. To me, one of my main goals is to discuss this very issue related to AA's because @bridgeburn was using so many things that it was and is impossible to tell whether the AA's did anything at all for him except curtail the time needed to reach adult female hormonal target range, which might act as a digital signal to the body systemically to commence regrowth. Other feminization like breast growth starts right away but many MtFs appear to keep losing hair and suffering from massive sheds.

So in my hypothesis, yes, guys, it is every bit as bad as you thought. To get to the hair part, you have to travel a considerable while through varying degrees of feminization and if, you get the treasured regrowth, I doubt that any of you will "cross back" which is another goal for the thread that would be thrilling and notable. For those with only the toe in, say using 2 mg of estradiol and even 50 mg daily of bicalutamide to set boundaries purportedly on the feminization journey, I don't see people recounting anything but marginal cosmetically insignificant hair regrowth. Hair regrowth probably has both an analog and digital aspect but cosmetically significant hair regrowth is likely in my intuitive but not necessarily correct view, dependent upon the free use of copious amounts of estradiol. Because you guys haven't experienced the skin effects of not having T circulating since you were 12 or so, you fail to perceive that this is likely to be a skin issue every bit as much as a follicle issue.

However, I am also older and that is probably a confounding factor. @bridgeburn had had his follicles under attack if you will for far less time when he began HRT as he was in his mid to late 20's.

Last edited:

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do know that this is a bizarre sort of line that extends from the anus to the top of the scrotum or labia, which strangely enough or not, is related to ano-genital distance being significantly shorter in males. It is called the raphe and it is curious to see it change during the MtF process. I don't believe that there are studies indicating that MtFs have shorter raphes due to HRT. This is relevant mostly because it becomes clear just how closely related female and male genitalia are and depending upon the person, an intersex aspect can develop in the scrotal tissue. No everyone has genital sides at all, however and I believe @bridgeburn when he says that he was copulating right to the end without issue. Many MtFs say the same thing and it puzzles me completely because I still see lack of potency as a major side and also lack of desire as a major side for many males. For me, they are features, not bugs. I had copulated enough happily and I was a straight bottom, for more TMI. Top men have their own concerns.
Yes I believe it is the raphe that I am describing. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that estrogen can cause hyperpigmentation and darkening of the raphe, but I could be completely wrong on that