Dutasteride

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
That's a bit ridiculous. You can get 30 capsules for $91 from your local pharmacy right now. I priced it at RiteAid for fun.

Not that $91 is cheap... especially when Glaxo seems to have had the Phase III trial participants take 2.5mg daily for the first six months, (which means 5 tablets a day, lasting 6 days if you have 30!).

Guess that's the price you pay for "no prescription". They're trying to make it worth their while to break the law :)

HairLossTalk.com

jwb

Reaction score
Do you have more info on the phase III trials? What is their plan? Get the maximum growth out in the fist six months then drop the dosage down to maintain? Hmmmm your talking about Phase III BPH study... What did they do in the phase II male pattern baldness study?

"especially when Glaxo seems to have had the Phase III trial participants take 2.5mg daily for the first six months"

Webbie

Reaction score
Great article, HairLossTalk.com...but, there was little mention of whether or not the Phase III trials were cancelled? From what I gather, the European Phase III trials have been cannced but the US trials are still on?

Also, in response to the article, you wrote that the difference in serum DHT inhibition b/w the .5mg and 2.5mg dosages was minimal. This may be true. However, the DHT *scalp* inhibition b/w the two dosages was up to 30% in difference. Isn't that what we are concerned about the most??

Thanks...

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
The speculation that Phase III trials were cancelled in the US is unverified at this time. We've spoken to several sources, including Glaxo's own official dutasteride Rep, and none have heard this is true nor can they verify it as true after inquiring with the powers that be. Doesn't mean it's not true... just means we've heard nothing that backs it up yet.

Regarding your other question:

0.5mg dutasteride is still going to do better than 1mg of finasteride in reducing skin DHT. Finasteride shows that you don't need to get rid of all the DHT to have a hair growth response - reduction is enough. Our source was thinking in terms of the trade off between higher dose, more expense, (higher side effect risk?), and only gaining a 20-30% further reduction in DHT.

If the skin DHT goes down by 50%, that may be quite enough for most guys to get a response. Another 30% DHT reduction is unlikely to correspond to 30% more hair. If guys aren't getting a result at 0.5mg they can always up the dose. If they start at 2.5mg they may be wasting money but won't know it unless they decide to cut the dose.

HairLossTalk.com

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
The speculation that Phase III trials were cancelled in the US is unverified at this time. We've spoken to several sources, including Glaxo's own official dutasteride Rep, and none have heard this is true nor can they verify it as true after inquiring with the powers that be. Doesn't mean it's not true... just means we've heard nothing that backs it up yet.

HairLossTalk.com

So.....................is HLH full of sh*t?

jwb

Reaction score
I would agree with a plan to take 2.5 for six months and then drop down to .5 to maintain. Did I read that there are no problems in taking Propecia at the same time? I wonder what effect this would have??? What do we all think?

Webbie

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, HairLossTalk.com.

It bothers me that AvoDart is going to be so expensive. Those tallies we've seen on RiteAid and Drugstore.com have *got* to be without proper insurance coverage, right? I currently pay $20 for 30 Proscar pills, but I remember a time when I was used to paing $50 for a month's supply of Propecia. I can't imagine going back to that while adding another $20-30 on top of that.

Ouch.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
MrTelogen said:
So.....................is HLH full of sh*t?
I wouldn't say that. We just haven't heard anyone who has heard the same thing, among all the people we've inquired with, including Kevin McElwee who was rather closely tied to the European Phase III trials, and the single point of contact to the public from Glaxo themselves. Her latest information is that they're still on. I asked her to do some more research, she made some phone calls, and said she never heard back from anyone. As is typical with Glaxo its very possible that you get different stories from different people within the same company.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Webbie said:
Thanks for the response, HairLossTalk.com. It bothers me that AvoDart is going to be so expensive. Those tallies we've seen on RiteAid and Drugstore.com have *got* to be without proper insurance coverage, right?
Correct. And its unlikely that if you ever use Dutasteride in any form for any purpose other than treatment of BPH, that it will be covered by insurance, just like Finasteride as Propecia is not covered because it is considered a cosmetic.

Webbie said:
I currently pay $20 for 30 Proscar pills, but I remember a time when I was used to paing $50 for a month's supply of Propecia. I can't imagine going back to that while adding another $20-30 on top of that.
This is the thought process many are going through right now. For a lot of men it will come down to the question of ... whats it worth to you? If you've lost noticeable amounts of hair and like the Dutasteride trial photos, then it very well may be worth it to you. If you're of the younger generation, just trying to maintain what you have, and have been a decent responder to Propecia ... then I would see no reason to switch. As with everything, it comes down to a "Cost-to-benefit" ratio.

HairLossTalk.com

Axon

Reaction score
I agree with HairLossTalk.com. Frankly, I think everyone who isn't satisfied with the results from their regimen should give Avodart 6 months at .5mg daily. I think investing 400 bucks into your hair is worth it.

If I wasn't so happy with my results, I'd of been all over Avodart. But I am happy, and I wanna see where the Nizoral/minoxidil-Xandrox/Finasteride regimen takes me before I start playing with the shiny new toy.

pete2001

Reaction score
Well after much speculation, research, waiting, highs, lows, etc, I have FINALLY placed my order for Dutasteride (100 x 0.5mg) from MensPharmacy. It cost $425 plus $7.50 p&p and I suppose if I wait I may be able to get it cheaper. But I figure I've waited long enough so I'm taking the plunge.

As myself, Bryan and many others have been saying for a long time, don't expect this drug to grow all or infact very much hair. Expect it to stop any loss you are having on Propecia and maybe thicken up a little what you already have. I am also hoping it may help Minoxidil work more effectively than it has been doing. With a bit of luck, I can confine my regimen to Dutasteride (1 pill a day), Minoxidil 5% twice daily and Tricomin after a shower. I may also use 2% spironolactone solution at night depending on whether I can be bothered every night. I think spironolactone may help too.

So there you go, just got to wait 10 or so days for it to arrive now. But I'm not expecting miracles.

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
blimey, it's Pete!! where you been mate? How'r things going for you, whats your regimen now, from whati remember you changed as often as i did ;)

Good luck on dutasteride by the way...i'd be sorely tempted to buy now if it weren't so expensive...

paulo

Reaction score
To Pete

Hi, Pete.

What do you mean by "maybe thicken up a little what you already have"?

In terms of time, do you think the hairs lost last year will thicken up?

Thanks. Sorry for mistakes.

Best Regards.

pete2001

Reaction score
hi Troy, how you doing mate? I'm doing ok, not been on the forums for a while as my regimen has been pretty settled:

Loniten 5mg, Finasteride 5mg, Folligen and 100mg spironolactone daily. It's been like that for about 6 months now. Not a great deal of growth, but no more loss, bit of thickening up at temples and crown and slight overall thickening. Plus Tottenham have been doing ok lately too apart from losing to Arsenal - and we beat Bolton 3-1! (I seem to remember you were a Bolton fan?) How you doing?

Paolo,

I think we can gauge how well Dutasteride will perform by looking at men who have been castrated and who have taken very strong anti-androgen pills. They have similar levels of DHT to Dutasteride takers. These people lose no more hair, but often don't regrow a great deal either unless they've only recently begun to lose their hair. So don't expect too much, but expect an improvement on Propecia. That's what I think.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
For Pete's sake Pete, take some pics for us will ya?

HairLossTalk.com

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
hey Pete i'm doing okay...yep i was watching the 3-1 game on tv, saw the London derby too...ouch Ledley King stamping on Freddie eh :x ...we got a big derby tomorrow against Man City

so you're back on the internal cocktail then? Is Folligen your only topical now? I'm going to wait a while before trying dutasteride i think, certainly until it comes down in price anyway, i don't particularly like putting topicals on but loniten made me shed too much too often, topical minoxidil is a bit easier to take

paulo

Reaction score
To Pete

Hey, Pete. Don´t you have problems taking 5mg fina and oral spironolactone?? Do you take something to combat GYNO, like Arimidex? I think i´ll have to take something when i start Duta. Any idea?

Just one more thing: what can be considered a recent loss? One year, two years? If the hair is there, even thinned (not vellus), don´t you think that there´s a great chance to turn it into decent hair? What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks

Sorry for so many questions and for the english.

peace

pete2001

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com,

I will take some pics if my mate with his camera ever gets his butt round my house!

Troy,

I am stopping the cocktail treatment when Dutasteride arrives. My Loniten and spironolactone is nearly out now anyway. After that it will be 5% minoxidil twice daily, Tricomin after a shower, Dutasteride once a day (and topical spironolactone when I can be bothered). I don't want 9 topicals lined up in the bathroom to take religiously every day. I just want something easy and effective. I have most of my hair anyway, just a little thin at the front but my final transplant in January should sort that out.