Dutasteride

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
MrTelogen said:
How bout you too? :lol:
There's nothing to look at. Im trying to maintain a full head of hair that is thinning in the front. The best I could do is take really really really close pictures of the front 1/2 inch of my hairline that's thinning (to the point that you can count the hairs whereas it used to be a wall of hairy-ness), but without "before" pix showing the difference, that would be pointless too. Some guys (and even my girlfriend) were born with that type of hairline.

HairLossTalk.com

paulo

Reaction score
To HairLossTalk.com

HairLossTalk.com, what do you use to combat thinning in the front? Is Avodart in your plans?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
This is in follow up to the article we posted on how to get Avodart covered by Insurance: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article198.htm

1. Your insurance may not have Avodart on the coverage list at all. My opinion is that this will change in time. The drug is only a week or two old on the pharmacists order lists, so give it a little while. If your insurance never carries it then this means even a 60 year old with BPH wont get it covered. It also depends upon your medical coverage, so these factors come into play too.

2. Second factor is that your Doctor went out of his way to point out that its for off label purposes. I actually think this is less likely to happen, because if you get your doctor to the point of agreeing to write the script, he already knows he's doing something somewhat "iffy" ethically, and I doubt he's going to make a spectacle of it by writing it on the paper. If this is the problem however, change your Doctor to "Medicalwellness.com". According to Jason they don't bother to mention that it to the pharmacist, and may even in fact (this is speculation) do what they can to help ensure you get it.

HairLossTalk.com

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
tommo...you can get it now in the UK...go to http://www.inweb.net.uk/drm and click at the link at the top for dutasteride

Bit costly still...245 quid for 100 (inc del) - but you don't need a prescription i think you just click YES on the part that says "i take responsibility for informing my GP/Doctor"

FWIW, i have ordered minoxidil from these before and had no problems :)

Merry Christmas - Santa might bring you some hair after all!

jwb

Reaction score
I try those guys about 10 days ago and they said that they didn’t do avrodart…. I got a prescription from the medicalwellnesscentre and went with their recommendation of a pharmacy in New Jersey at a cost of $245 that’s dollars not pounds for 100. I have to say though that I haven’t got delivery yet but it should be any day now….. if its coming at all I don’t know if there is any customs issues I need to know about…???

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
$245? you'll be lucky...that price is in Pounds Sterling :?

tommo

Reaction score
Making the swop

Ive just ordered some dutasteride. Is it gonna be a simple case of stop using Propecia one day and start using dutasteride the next?

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
i personally would ease into it...take 0.5mg dutasteride every 3 days for a while and propecia as normal the other days, then eventually build up to whatever daily dose of dutasteride you want and drop propecia altogether

TreeFrogRX

Reaction score
Why would you ease into taking dutasteride every 3 days, that makes no chemical or biological sense? I think I remember from a man's health lecture I recently attended that finasteride has a 5-6 hour half life (don't hold me to that), and anything after 24 hours is purely academic and no need for concern. Just stop one drug one day and start the new drug the next day. Mind you however, this logic doesn't hold up when starting new seizure medications, antidepressants, and many others, so for the love of god! please talk to your doctor or pharmacist before you d/c one medication and start another. But for a 5a-reductase inhibitor don't sweat the small stuff. This drug appears to have dose related side effects that would probably quickly resolve upon stopping the med.

Take home note: please don't listen to bone-heads (no offense) on the net when it comes to dosing regiments! A pharmacist is a much better source of information, and no pharmacist with 2 or more IQ points is going to tell you to start off dosing dutasteride every 3 days!

s5

Reaction score
Medical Wellness + Local Pharmacy = Success

I was a bit surprised that it worked actually.

The good news:

I used medicalwellness.com ("MWC") to get my Avodart script and it worked. My local pharmacist (F&M in MI, USA) honored the script and filled it out. They charge $77.95 for a bottle of 30. Medical Wellness charged me $49.95 + 8.85 (= 58.80) for the online "evaluation." I got my script in 3 days by US priority mail. It was a regular looking script with Medical Wellness Center located in West Palm Beach Florida at the top; the physician listed was Joan Katz. It had her phone number and everything and looked fairly legit. The script itself provided for Avodart in bottles of 30 (see below) with 6 months of refills (so MWC added a cost of $10 per bottle or $0.33 per pill). The script says it's for hair loss.

Anyway I was pretty surprised that my pharmacy bought it. The one thing I did was make a photocopy of the script before I presented it to them. The reason I did this was so I could use RXUSA.com if they gave me any trouble (I actually called RXUSA and a human verified that they will honor MWC perscriptions but only for the amount stated).

The bad news:

The only real problem I have is that MWC only perscribed me bottles of 30. I could have saved some money if they'd give me bottles of 90 or 100 but I suppose they want me as a repeat customer (hopefully within a few months I won't need them (Avolve from Europe) and the price will go down). So I guess I probably still overpaid. On the other hand I am now able to start the most promising drug therapy for hair loss without investing $450 in Men's Pharmacy (IF they are even legit). And I got my Avodart within 5 days.

So my recomendation is this: if you can wait a few months do so. You'll probably be able to bypass MWC and maybe, hopefully, the prices will start coming down. If you can't wait, do not chuck $450 to Men's Pharmacy. Why invest so much in a product that is probably not all it's cracked up to be? On the other hand it seems reasonable to believe that it's better than anything else out there right now. My view is that if it at least slows my hairloss I'll be pretty happy.

N.B. The above facts reflect my personal experience accurately. Will MWC scam you? Maybe. But it all worked out for me. Will your local pharmacy honor MWC's script? I hope so. If not RXUSA looked like it might work too.

Good Luck!

tommo

Reaction score
help

Ordered some dutasteride from Direct response marketing. Got an email saying the delivery will be delayed due to high demand. Just been back on their website and theyve taken Advodart off. sh*t. Any ideas where us UK blokes can get some?

Baldude

Reaction score
Questions about dutasteride

Hi.
1. Is Dutasteride only available at a high concentration for prostate patients or does it have an male pattern baldness treatment version?
2. What's the concentration that should be used for male pattern baldness anyway?
3. And are its side-effects much worse than finasteride's?
4. If side effects are experienced, are they reversible if I quit dutasteride?
Seems a bit harder to split gel capsules than Propecia pills...
thanks 8O

Axon

Reaction score
Re: Questions about dutasteride

Baldude said:
Hi.
1. Is Dutasteride only available at a high concentration for prostate patients or does it have an male pattern baldness treatment version?
2. What's the concentration that should be used for male pattern baldness anyway?
3. And are its side-effects much worse than finasteride's?
4. If side effects are experienced, are they reversible if I quit dutasteride?
Seems a bit harder to split gel capsules than Propecia pills...
thanks 8O

1. Dutasteride is currently only avaliable in .5mg form. It is to be prescribed for prostate treatment *only* and has not been approved as a treatment for male pattern baldness. An Avodart Rx needs to be writen as "off-label" for male pattern baldness.

2. Some say 2.5 mg daily is the "best" dosage; I feel .5 mg is just fine...

3. Side effects occured in more patients than with Finasteride - but you don't get MORE impotent. :p

Still, not a lot of adverse reactions across the board.

4. Yes. All side effects subside after discontinuation.

jwb

Reaction score
UK delivery

Info for the uk I just got my delivery of Avodart I got a script from the medicalwellnesscentre and got them to forward it on to the pomarco pharmacy. The charged my credit card and sent it recorded airmail. Delivery took approximately 20 days from clicking submit on the medicalwellness web site. I was charged $49 for the script $268 for the pills and $12.95 for shipping. What I had forgotten about was that I would also have to pay VAT and a post office handling charge £35

All up this route cost £255 that’s £2.55 per day. Next time round it will be a little cheaper but not much.

Hope this helps if anyone finds a cheaper way please post a response.

rex

Reaction score
where is the cheapest place to order dutasteride? Is anyone taking this and what are the results?

jwb

Reaction score
Re: UK delivery

What’s all this about dutasteride affecting the brain….. Someone posted a message on the end of the article warning users of possible long term side affects. The guy said that he had to come off it after two weeks because he found that he had trouble performing simple tasks. Is there ant research on this subject? Or is he pulling my leg?

Anyone got anything useful on this one. I am coming up to my second week on dutasteride. Nothing positive or negative to report.

tommo

Reaction score
Hey, anybody from the UK got dutasteride yet? I just cant get the stuff from anywhere. Any ideas?

Cheers

Tommo

jwb

Reaction score
tommo said:
Hey, anybody from the UK got dutasteride yet? I just cant get the stuff from anywhere. Any ideas?

Cheers

Tommo

See my earlier post. It took about three weeks to get here and it was a bit of a pain collecting it from the post office coz they lost then finally found it the fridge but the guy is trustworthy