Dr john Crisler Discusses his fears on finasteride

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Good post Enden.

I have a final three questions for you Dr. Crisler. Please take your time and answer i think these are critcial.

Firstly, where you do find that a person has increased reductase I activity (either via THF/5-a-THF, or AN/ET, and/or serum/urine DHT testing) ...what next? I spoke of this to my endo and he said there's an old saying in medicine alone the lines of "if you dont know what to do with the results, the test itself isn't worth taking". Is this the case here?

In relation to this, i have read that an increase in free testosterone levels can help 3-adiol-G levels so that may be connected somehow.

Secondly, do you believe Cortisol levels are an important factor here or not? Are you seeing any trend whereby your PFS patients exhibit low cortisol levels.

Lastly, are you are all interested in the low vitamin D levels alot of people on propecia help seem to have?

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mew has been talking about a couple of neurohormones, but from what I've read, they're made by 5AR Type 1. I've asked Mew about this a couple of times, but he doesn't answer.

I don't recall you posing this question to me before, but I have answered it.

In addition to Testosterone --> DHT, 5AR1 and 5AR2 metabolize neurosteroids (Progesterone --> Allopregnanolone, Deoxycorticosterone --> THDOC).

See diagrams here:

viewtopic.php?p=593293#p593293

Specifically:

download/file.php?id=7323&mode=view
download/file.php?id=7324&mode=view
download/file.php?id=7328&mode=view

Ende

Reaction score
Yeah, make fun of me. Maybe you're not so different from the rest of your kind after all. We'll see who's right. If this problem is irreversible as you're suggesting, at least I'll give your suicide statistics a raise.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Enden,

Two things i think we should all bear in mind:

As a doctor, Dr Crisler, Dr Shippin etc are searching for blanket answers in this debate. That's why they'll be non-comittal to any specific theory - especially a more simplistic one. They have hundreds of patients with hormones etc all going opposite directions. Remember this.

Dr Crisler will tell you himself different patients respond to different treatments. He will also tell you many cases people have improved etc. No two cases are exactly the same.

You and and I aren't treating 100's of other people - just ourselves. We just have to find out what works for us.

I mean, if we both recover next month by using a specific protocol of an AI for instance, that'd be great. It would be a "case solved" for us personally, but it wouldn't impact the overall field that much.

A generic theory doesn't always apply to you. Especially an obscure, imprecise and un-developed one.

This is the same for all hormone related things.

Some people take TRT and need it for the rest of their lives. That is the conventional wisdom. But some also can recover their own T production naturally. I know a guy, who after 5 years, go off TRT.

Anyway, regardless of any doctors theory, however complex, many people improve over time. This trend is obviously independent of any theory.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Dr Crisler can Propecia affect your IGF-1 levels in any way? I have very high levels for my age(44) and I have been tested for acromegaly with the GTT and I showed no signs of it. I had an excellent advanced MRI of the pituitary and it came back normal. I dont have any symptoms of acromegaly. I dont consume dairy or use any type of muscle supplements. My levels were rising for a while but they came done on my last blood test. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis too. Could that have any effect on my IGF-1 levels?

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr. Crisler. Do you believe the 2% side effects are true or is it all BS. How many men who take propecia, do you think, suffer from sexual side effects, it must be more that 2%

Mens Rea

Reaction score
My IGF-1 levels are high too

Serum IGF-1 46.8 nmol/L (15-45)

I attribute that, atleast some what to high E2 and possibly low DHT. Why? Because E2 upregulates IGF-1 whilst DHT downregulates it. High E2 and low DHT would contribute to high IGF-1.

Opinion on this Dr Crisler?

My last tests showed high Iron levels too. Getting them checked again, i think i was on multi-vitamins at the time.

Iron 30.7 umol/L (11-28)
Saturation 48.3% (30 - 40)

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Dr. John Crisler said:
DoctorHouse said:
Dr Crisler can Propecia affect your IGF-1 levels in any way? I have very high levels for my age(44) and I have been tested for acromegaly with the GTT and I showed no signs of it. I had an excellent advanced MRI of the pituitary and it came back normal. I dont have any symptoms of acromegaly. I dont consume dairy or use any type of muscle supplements. My levels were rising for a while but they came done on my last blood test. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis too. Could that have any effect on my IGF-1 levels?
What is your IGF-1?

Acromegaly is specifically the condition of inappropriate growth secondary to profound GH production. You could develop a pituitary issue long before it shows up in this way.

What led you to have your IGF-1 tested?

The dairy/growth hormone thing is a COMPLETE non-issue. The so-called health food industry is crying wolf.
My IGF-1 levels on the first blood test was 401, then it went to 500s and low 600's and now recently down to the 300s. My endo tested those levels because I was complaining of fatigue alot and thought I was going to have very low IGF-1 levels but was surprised to find them higher than normal for my age. He also checked my cortisol levels and they were slightly high but nothing too bad and have come down recently. My iron, vitamin D, insulin all were excellent. My thyroid antibodies are rising and my thyroid levels are still remaining in the normal range but on the edge of almost hypothyroid. He just put me on synthroid and it has made a world of difference mentally( no more brain fogginess and less feelings of anxiety) and physically. I asked him if the Propecia could affect the IGF-1 levels and he said no. He said the fact that my IGF-1 levels went down was a good thing but he is going to still do blood work along with my thyroid testing every three months.

You said one could develop a pituitary issue before acromegaly shows up? Are you saying it is possible to not show anything on the MRI with the pituitary yet it will still have an issue? Does the thyroid have any indirect effect on the IGF-1 levels? Are there any supplements or herbs that can affect IGF-1 levels? I used to take DIM( diindolylmethane) supplements and he thought that might have cause my levels to go up but even after I quit DIM my levels still were rising.

barcafan

Reaction score
Enden said:
Yeah, make fun of me. Maybe you're not so different from the rest of your kind after all. We'll see who's right. If this problem is irreversible as you're suggesting, at least I'll give your suicide statistics a raise.

I think an answer or at least a bandaid solution will be discovered real soon, theres just too many people suffering now and ALOT of doctors/researchers getting onboard, i think we'll be hearing alot of developments in the near future

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
dr crisler, i want to ask you if u have some standard protocol
for recognize a genuine post fina syndrome

i went to many uro-andro but i want something undoubtable to show them

Cassin

Reaction score
Do you Work for Someone?
The HairlossTalk Discussion Forum is a consumers-only forum. This means anyone who is associated with any product or service tied to the hair loss industry is not permitted to register or participate here. This includes consumers who may not be receiving monetary kickbacks, but are still interested in gaining exposure for a product or service in exchange for other favors from the company. Our forums are closely monitored for spam. Even well-disguised spam posts intended to look like real consumers will be identified, and deleted. Any memberships deemed by the moderators to be biased in this regard will be deleted and removed from our forums. If you are interested in legitimately sponsoring the HairlossTalk Site, please contact us via the proper means through our Contact Us page.

Medical Advice
You understand that information conveyed by users AND administrators or moderators on this forum does not constitute medical advice. Unless specifically endorsed by this site, no members on this forum are designated as medical professionals, or experts, and any advice you are given should be followed at your own risk. This includes the recommendation of other websites or services, generic hair loss products, hair transplant surgeons, or other products or services. You are hereby notified that you are responsible to seek the advice of a qualified physician pertaining to any matters discussed on this forum, and that you will not hold HairLossTalk.com Group Inc, or its owners responsible for any adverse events that may arise as a result of your participation on this web site or these forums

babis

Reaction score
Dear Dr Crisler,

There is evidence that the acne medication Accutane (Isotretinoin) inhibits type 5-alpha reductase type I (not type II, like finastride).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8175961

Do you think this is more than a coincidence? Could the hormones imbalances caused by inhibiting 5-alpha reductase type I lead to a cluster of symptoms analogous (but not exactly the same) as those of type II?

Have you seen patients with erectile dysfunction from Accutane? (I am one of those unlucky people... I developed hypogonadism, with low-normal testosterone, and autonomic dysfunction).

Thanks for taking the time to respond.