Decreased libido: No it's not a myth, not a lie, not an illusion and not psychogenic

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know nothing? I'll assume English isn't your first language. I've done a lot of home research on minoxidil, finasteride and many other anti androgens.. minoxidil is a vasodilator which helps control blood pressure, it has absolutely no effect on libido. What could happen is a psychological reaction to taking the medicine which may cause problems with libido, or absolutely anything else. Also I have really low DHT and Testosterone levels due to treatments, I function fine and can still have sex with my girlfriend.

Yep, its all about having sex. 95% percent of people here who were suffering "no libido" or "weak erections" they are mostly wanker boys or turbomasturbators. I had problems with erections when i was wank boy also even my dht levels were like 950ng/dl since norm is 250-800 and ofcourse i wasnt on finasteride yet! Now, i have girlfriend, i am on finasteride and my dht levels are in 300ng/dl range and still i f*** like p**rn star somedays with rock solid dick (lol). Ahh, and i forgot to mention, they masturbating while thinking about side effects :D

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know nothing? I'll assume English isn't your first language. I've done a lot of home research on minoxidil, finasteride and many other anti androgens.. minoxidil is a vasodilator which helps control blood pressure, it has absolutely no effect on libido. What could happen is a psychological reaction to taking the medicine which may cause problems with libido, or absolutely anything else. Also I have really low DHT and Testosterone levels due to treatments, I function fine and can still have sex with my girlfriend.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

"Minoxidil may suppress androgen receptor-related functions"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30064598

"Minoxidil Acts as an Antiandrogen: A Study of 5α-reductase Type 2 Gene Expression in a Human Keratinocyte Cell Line."

---

People taking finasteride/dutasteride/minoxidil without side effects : it's in their head

People taking finasteride/dutasteride/minoxidil with side effects : no it's not.

Ok ... for some guys with side effects it's indeed in their head, but not for all. Side effects are real.

Benne9

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
OP had low bp and could barely open his eyes so he thought minoxidil causes ed

Hello hairlosstalk

gym4me

My Regimen
Reaction score
Standard answer from America. First always says something about the English skills and after that some stupid theories .... Just go to library and find some book about the endocrine system. There is also a lot of materials in internet about Minoxidil. You speak english really well and have no idea about the world. All pharmacy industry know about this problem, but dont tell us, because they earn billions. Btw Minoxidil also increase prolactin hormone....

Benne9

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Standard answer from America. First always says something about the English skills and after that some stupid theories .... Just go to library and find some book about the endocrine system. There is also a lot of materials in internet about Minoxidil. You speak english really well and have no idea about the world. All pharmacy industry know about this problem, but dont tell us, because they earn billions. Btw Minoxidil also increase prolactin hormone....

I’ll put this to the test starting today.

Binil

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I would love to share my current scenario and situation on this matter. Im 33 this year and i have been using minoxidil since 29.

I keep fit, swim, gym about 4 days/week, ocasional drinker, and lifestyle is above average than my peers. I have amazing sex drive (above average) i would say and i have been diligently and religiously only have been using my Regro 5% since 29. That's a total of 3 years.

I have tried propecia in 2015 and within 3 weeks although amazing hair growth and thickness, i had loss of libido, no morning erection and all the other effects we already know. I stopped and i recovered after 2 months or so.

My Regime now is only: Minoxidil 5% & Laser Helmet

Since December 2017, i have been having erection issues again, loss of libido, very noticeable water retention, loss of sex drive, watery semen(ejaculation) and i am totally clueless (almost Propecia effect but i have not taken them ever since)

I checked every supplement in my kitchen and nothing would indicate why i loss my drive. Depression & Anxiety kicked in because whenever i see a curve on women, it doesn't give me the drive to go WoW like how it used to. Imma wolf in the women department cause i would approach any curvy women when i see one and that's the drive that excites me.

Sadly, in december i had my first flaccid penis situation with a new chick when i was about to have sex and it just didn't go up. Depression kicked in afterwards.

I waited no more and consulted two urologist. I did my Testosterone Test It is within the range & soon to do my Free Test and SBGH as well end of February 2018. I didn't take the first urologist into consideration because he did not take my situation seriously due to the age. He kept saying that my body will recover fast & im only 33 and fit.

However, the second urologist took me seriously asked me to bring over all the items i apply or consume and he asked me to stop all supplements for 2 weeks from MACA, Multivits, Ginko and most importantly that caught his eye and raised my curiosity and his concern was the MINOXIDIL too.

He says, minoxidil does affect libido and brings down to sperm count in some men but it accumulates in months or years and not overnight. It does give water retention and may interfere with other medications such as iron or iodine if you're on them.

I am no expert in this matter and all im doing is to hold my hair. I have decent hair after a good Hair Transplant and i am NOT ON PROPECIA.

Im only on the next two FDA approved hair loss method

I have been asked to stop minoxidil and all supplements for two weeks and to return to him early MARCH. I will update this thread again, if at all Minoxidil affects me and im hoping that my morning steel & drive comes back.

Fingers Crossed
Hi, I am curious to know if you are able to completely recover from the side effect. I am going through same situation and scared about my sexual life . Appreciate quick response

Balkhnarb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I came across this discussion trying to find causes of my low libido.
Here is my story:
I used topical minoxidil on a very regular basis (2 times a day almost every day) from 2014 to 2019. I rarely stopped treatment more than 3 or 4 consecutive days.
From 2014 to August 2018, I never experienced any sexual side effect (or, at least nothing to worry about : never more than one week of decreased libido).

In August and September 2018 I experienced for first time a severe decreased libido phase (almost 2 months).
In October 2018, I recovered a perfect libido level
In March 2019 it decreased again during one month.
Since then, my libido level is about 20% of what it should be.

I decided to quit Minoxidil one week ago. My libido seems to be a little better, but still lower than it used to be.

I am not sure Minoxidil caused this, but the study one member shared here about the alleged androgen receptor suppressing effect of minoxidil seems to be the most pertinent scientific information we have to discuss the potential sexual side effects of minoxidil on a serious basis.

Here is my question:
Does anyone here, have scientific research based information about the time necessary to recover the androgen receptors that minoxidil might suppress? Or, are they eliminated for ever??

Thanks and good luck!

LosingHairLosingPatience

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I came across this discussion trying to find causes of my low libido.
Here is my story:
I used topical minoxidil on a very regular basis (2 times a day almost every day) from 2014 to 2019. I rarely stopped treatment more than 3 or 4 consecutive days.
From 2014 to August 2018, I never experienced any sexual side effect (or, at least nothing to worry about : never more than one week of decreased libido).

In August and September 2018 I experienced for first time a severe decreased libido phase (almost 2 months).
In October 2018, I recovered a perfect libido level
In March 2019 it decreased again during one month.
Since then, my libido level is about 20% of what it should be.

I decided to quit Minoxidil one week ago. My libido seems to be a little better, but still lower than it used to be.

I am not sure Minoxidil caused this, but the study one member shared here about the alleged androgen receptor suppressing effect of minoxidil seems to be the most pertinent scientific information we have to discuss the potential sexual side effects of minoxidil on a serious basis.

Here is my question:
Does anyone here, have scientific research based information about the time necessary to recover the androgen receptors that minoxidil might suppress? Or, are they eliminated for ever??

Thanks and good luck!
Keep your T and your aromatase in check.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, so now we got some studies showing the mechanism for potential sides, but how come these sides have never been reported in literature? A lot of studies have small sample sizes, but at this point there have been many, haven't there? In aggregate, that's a large sample, how come it's never been reported?

Furthermore, Minoxidil has actually been used to treat ED. Look at how many studies a search of google scholar turns up

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hair loss=en&as_sdt=0,5&q=minoxidil+erectile+dysfunction&oq=minoxidil+erecti

There's also this, which seems like a pretty strong objection

Holy sh*t, is HairLossTalk.com now becoming propeciahelp 2.0 or what.

Suddenly ppl got even limp dicks off minoxidil lmfao. You know that only minor amounts go systematical right?
Meanwhile loniten, the oral version of minoxidil, is given up to 100mg. If topical went that much systematically, ppl would need additional meds, like beta-adrenergic blocker and a diuretic. I never even heard that from ppl using 15% minoxidil, and 5 or whatever percentage in the morning.

Well, when ppl smell law suits and money...

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, so now we got some studies showing the mechanism for potential sides, but how come these sides have never been reported in literature? A lot of studies have small sample sizes, but at this point there have been many, haven't there? In aggregate, that's a large sample, how come it's never been reported?

Furthermore, Minoxidil has actually been used to treat ED. Look at how many studies a search of google scholar turns up

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hair loss=en&as_sdt=0,5&q=minoxidil+erectile+dysfunction&oq=minoxidil+erecti

There's also this, which seems like a pretty strong objection

From the very first study in your link:

These results indicate that 2% topical minoxidil solution is not effective when applied to the penis in the treatment of erectile dysfunction.

And FYI there are multiple ingredients to erections, including testosterone, dopamine, and nitric oxide. It's possible for one ingredient to be elevated and the other lessened.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look you hormone altering mongoloid, just because it's in vitro does not mean it's a worthless study you absolute idiot. Btw, notice the word "possible" and don't forget to take your daily pills.

Also read how many guys have sexual side effects from minoxidil. And I'm not saying it's as dangerous as fina.
Lol you call everyone out for being a hormone altering mongoloid but u complain about ur limp dick and bald head while u were on finasteride urself. Little hypocritic kiddo, go neck urself.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
How am I a hypocrite when I admitted that taking fina for long term was a mistake? Holy fck you are probably the most insecure, emotionally invested fina taker on this board.(quite an accomplishment too) Your edgy persona doesn't work with me to camouflage your deep uncertainty about the safety of fina when you swallow your daily hormonal poison pills.

Anyway good luck with your chemical castration goals of 2020.
Finasteride clearly altered ur brain because not a rational thought comes out of it.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop being a butthurt phaggot, ignore my posts if you can't deal with reality and go cope on r/tressless with the rest of your balding tranny friends.
Ur a tranny urself u finasteride swallowing hypocrite.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil made OP retarded. That's the real story here.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hahaha! Your butthurt is quite amazing and all that because you are so insecure about the pills you swallow to save your ratsnest.

Anyway, you have entertained me long enough. But I know you're a fool that is incapable of moving on so I look forward to your next coping attempt.
And yet u took seti which is far less studied than finasteride. Seems like it made u autistic and even more of a hypocrite.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank god you are chemically castrating yourself, the world needs less genetic subhuman filth like you around.
Why is ur name phaginator on the misc? I think u like it up ur butthole mate. Just LOL at u, having a limp noodle because ur in denial about ur sexuality. Finasteride didn't give u any sides u sexually frustead boylover.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol who?

But keep on crying here and in other threads, your butthurt is very amusing. And pls do not kill yourself, keep on living your sad, pathetic existence where you pop hormonal pills to try and save your ratsnest. Death would be the biggest gift in your case.

Not sure why you are shaming people who want to keep their hair