Decreased libido: No it's not a myth, not a lie, not an illusion and not psychogenic

Crown

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got zero libido after using Rogaine. My erection is not too bad but not as good as it use to be.
These skeptics who want you to believe that Rogaine has no effect on your sex drive should take a bottle of Rogaine and shove it up their a**. Maybe it will have the side effect of making them less conditioned to believe the pharma insdury and their sponsored research.

Last edited:

MyExMadeMeBald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Correlation is not causation. The one thing no one has seemed to point out is that all the people experiencing enough hair loss are also getting older. Hence the hair loss. Your age is what’s changing these issues. When you turn 30 you’re not going to feel the same as you do when you were 18.

It’s rediculous to think this stuff causes ED or any other issues. It’s just an easy thing to blame. The entire “permanent” ED is all the evidence one would need to prove it’s not this drug. The human system doesn’t work that way. It would eventually go back to a large extent once stopped, if this had any negative side effects.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, it does have these sides for some people. Several doctors I've seen confirmed it and it has been reported to regulatory bodies in many countries (especially in Europe). Some of the brands even mention these sides on the box. And no, they will not go once you stop the medication as it has the ability to suppress androgen receptors, which usually recover, but there have been reports of permanent sides lasting 2+ years. In my opinion minoxidil should be banned and most definitely should not be and OTC drug.

Based on what the doctors said, it will affect everybody's libido at least a bit, but some do not notice it. The sides can hit you right away or after 10 years of usage - it does not really matter.

Avoid at all costs. If you search the forums you will find hundreds of these reports from all over the world. The drug can also make you infertile, even if you recover from the sexual sides. This is not anecdotal, I was told by 3 doctors.

Last edited:

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, I just tried to warn you, these issues are real and I will soon post the medical report from the hospital. I don't want to be a scaremonger, but minoxidil really does have sexual side effects. How do you think it grows hair from the DHT damaged follicle? It blocks the androgen receptor. It is a recognized side effect in France, the Czech Republic and other countries. This is not some sort of a joke. The collagen synthesis issues are caused by the suppresion of the androgen receptors. Finasteride has done that, Isotretinoin has too.

Last edited:

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, I just tried to warn you, these issues are real and I will soon post the medical report from the hospital. I don't want to be a scaremonger, but minoxidil really does have sexual side effects. How do you think it grows hair from the DHT damaged follicle? It blocks the androgen receptor. It is a recognized side effect in France, the Czech Republic and other countries. This is not some sort of a joke. The collagen synthesis issues are caused by the suppresion of the androgen receptors. Finasteride has done that, Isotretinoin has too.

Great idea, please post the complete report. How severe were your symptoms? Did they (the doctor) explain the mechanism of action to you? What was your actual medical diagnosis? Thanks.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am currently on holiday. I know people will not believe me no matter what I write here, but I will at least try. I am having more tests done and will post all the results next week. All the reports are in Czech so I will have to translate them and others here will likely accuse me of manipulation, but you can use online tools/dictionaries to confirm my translation. Also, the blood/urine tests do not lie. My free testosterone is very high (testosterone is within range) and I need to have my DHT tested (this is not a standard procedure). It will likely also be very high as for the other guys affected.

First of all, there you have the package insert warnings from Switzerland and the Czech Republic:

https://compendium.ch/mpro/mnr/21877/html/de?Platform=Desktop

Which clearly says "Als systemische Nebenwirkungen wurden sehr selten sexuelle Dysfunktionen beobachtet."

Meaning: "Very rarely, sexual dysfunctions were observed as systemic side effects."

The same applies to the Czech/Slovak package insert which lists sexual dysfunction as a side effect. Among the very rare side effects it lists:

"sexuální poruchy"

Meaning: "sexual dysfunctions"

http://www.neocapil.cz/images/neocapil_850275_07_sk.pdf

The diagnosis is clear. Minoxidil suppresses androgen receptors and their functions, which are then unable to bind androgens - that is DHT and testosterone, which results in these hormones circulating in your blood and having nowhere to bind. After a while, the liver produces more SHBG, which takes up to several months and binds the free testosterone/DHT. Still, there might be an excess of both of these. The doctors believe it does exactly the thing described in this article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

What the package inserts do not say is that the dysfunction often persists long after stopping treatment (it has been 45 days and I have not gotten any better) and possibly may be permanent is some extreme cases (which I hope is not my case).

The progression of the symptoms I had was the following:

1) puffy face due to water retention (3 days before stopping/resolved)
2) lightheadedness/severe eye irritation (2 days before stopping/resolved)
3) a mild libido shift (less than 2 days before stopping/has gotten far worse)
4) 0 libido, very low ejaculate volume (like 1/5th of normal), 90% genital numbness and decreased ability to get an erection, hardly can feel the orgasm if I can reach it, which I sometimes can't (1 day after stopping/no change)
5) several days of severe testicular pain (about 3 days after stopping/resolved but reoccured later for a brief period of time)
6) very strong tingling/throbbing/pulsating feeling in my penis and testicles (since 7 days after stopping/still continues without a change in intensity or duration but there are changes in the intensity during the day)
7) swollen lymph nodes in the neck, difficulty swallowing (since 3 weeks after stopping treatment)

Before you suggests it is all psychological, I would wish it to be, but it is not. I have symptoms, origin of which can in no way be psychological. I have never used any other medication (propecia, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin, antidepressants). Not even vitamins or minerals, simply nothing. Also, I used the minoxidil 5% liquid exactly as prescribed/directed. I did not overdose and did not put it on wet scalp. I have contacted 3 other men who are suffering from this after using minoxidil only, they can confirm and possibly will share their medical reports.

Minoxidil appears to interfere with exactly the same pathways/functions 5ARII inhibitors do except it does not block DHT itself, only the receptors. The symptoms, however, are just as severe.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally, I don't doubt your doctor's diagnosis. I know of one other case similar confirmed by an endocrinologist. It may be rare but that does not negate the existence. Humans vary greatly in their sensitivity and genetic makeup

You will very likely recover even though it may take a few months, so don't worry about that too much.

gym4me

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used Minoxidil for only 1 week and got Low libido and ED. This sh*t is dangerous! Now I just can wait......to recover.

gym4me

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am currently on holiday. I know people will not believe me no matter what I write here, but I will at least try. I am having more tests done and will post all the results next week. All the reports are in Czech so I will have to translate them and others here will likely accuse me of manipulation, but you can use online tools/dictionaries to confirm my translation. Also, the blood/urine tests do not lie. My free testosterone is very high (testosterone is within range) and I need to have my DHT tested (this is not a standard procedure). It will likely also be very high as for the other guys affected.

First of all, there you have the package insert warnings from Switzerland and the Czech Republic:

https://compendium.ch/mpro/mnr/21877/html/de?Platform=Desktop

Which clearly says "Als systemische Nebenwirkungen wurden sehr selten sexuelle Dysfunktionen beobachtet."

Meaning: "Very rarely, sexual dysfunctions were observed as systemic side effects."

The same applies to the Czech/Slovak package insert which lists sexual dysfunction as a side effect. Among the very rare side effects it lists:

"sexuální poruchy"

Meaning: "sexual dysfunctions"

http://www.neocapil.cz/images/neocapil_850275_07_sk.pdf

The diagnosis is clear. Minoxidil suppresses androgen receptors and their functions, which are then unable to bind androgens - that is DHT and testosterone, which results in these hormones circulating in your blood and having nowhere to bind. After a while, the liver produces more SHBG, which takes up to several months and binds the free testosterone/DHT. Still, there might be an excess of both of these. The doctors believe it does exactly the thing described in this article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

What the package inserts do not say is that the dysfunction often persists long after stopping treatment (it has been 45 days and I have not gotten any better) and possibly may be permanent is some extreme cases (which I hope is not my case).

The progression of the symptoms I had was the following:

1) puffy face due to water retention (3 days before stopping/resolved)
2) lightheadedness/severe eye irritation (2 days before stopping/resolved)
3) a mild libido shift (less than 2 days before stopping/has gotten far worse)
4) 0 libido, very low ejaculate volume (like 1/5th of normal), 90% genital numbness and decreased ability to get an erection, hardly can feel the orgasm if I can reach it, which I sometimes can't (1 day after stopping/no change)
5) several days of severe testicular pain (about 3 days after stopping/resolved but reoccured later for a brief period of time)
6) very strong tingling/throbbing/pulsating feeling in my penis and testicles (since 7 days after stopping/still continues without a change in intensity or duration but there are changes in the intensity during the day)
7) swollen lymph nodes in the neck, difficulty swallowing (since 3 weeks after stopping treatment)

Before you suggests it is all psychological, I would wish it to be, but it is not. I have symptoms, origin of which can in no way be psychological. I have never used any other medication (propecia, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin, antidepressants). Not even vitamins or minerals, simply nothing. Also, I used the minoxidil 5% liquid exactly as prescribed/directed. I did not overdose and did not put it on wet scalp. I have contacted 3 other men who are suffering from this after using minoxidil only, they can confirm and possibly will share their medical reports.

Minoxidil appears to interfere with exactly the same pathways/functions 5ARII inhibitors do except it does not block DHT itself, only the receptors. The symptoms, however, are just as severe.
Man did you recover ? How is your libido, now ?

resu

Reaction score
It's not via DHT because you get hairier all over, I now have hairs on my hands but it does affect the libido somehow, when I stopped it for a almost a month because the shipment got delayed my libido was higher.

Last edited:

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy sh*t, is HairLossTalk.com now becoming propeciahelp 2.0 or what.

Suddenly ppl got even limp dicks off minoxidil lmfao. You know that only minor amounts go systematical right?
Meanwhile loniten, the oral version of minoxidil, is given up to 100mg. If topical went that much systematically, ppl would need additional meds, like beta-adrenergic blocker and a diuretic. I never even heard that from ppl using 15% minoxidil, and 5 or whatever percentage in the morning.

Well, when ppl smell law suits and money...

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I didnt have any problem in that regard. I did however get very low blood pressure. Up to a point i couldnt take it anymore. Seems like my body cant handle any of the medications for hairloss.

youngforster

Reaction score
I use minoxidil once a day and my libido is as strong as it used to be. I want to hump anything I can see. What people might experience is decreased libido due to low blood pressure. If its not high enough just reduce the dosage.

danielf

My Regimen
Reaction score
i made an account just to say this is indeed a real side effect. i am 16 and i already started balding so im using rogaine foam. This brought me from being a humpy hormone junky teenager who masturbates 2 times a day to no sexual desire whatsoever in just a week. I also thought this is strange as this side effect is not mentioned

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
i made an account just to say this is indeed a real side effect. i am 16 and i already started balding so im using rogaine foam. This brought me from being a humpy hormone junky teenager who masturbates 2 times a day to no sexual desire whatsoever in just a week. I also thought this is strange as this side effect is not mentioned
minoxidil doesn't interfere with hormone levels so it would be scientifically impossible for it to reduce libido. I'm not saying you haven't experienced a drop in yours, what I am saying is its most likely psychological.

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah... no

zozzarz

My Regimen
Reaction score
24 yo, 3 weeks on minoxidil.. i started experiencing low libido and weak erections after some days on it,
maybe for the low blood pressure, i don't know.. but i never had these problems before, i'll try to reduce the dose and see what happends.

gym4me

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil doesn't interfere with hormone levels so it would be scientifically impossible for it to reduce libido. I'm not saying you haven't experienced a drop in yours, what I am saying is its most likely psychological.
You dont know nothing about the hormones and still talking. Maybe you have to read something about DHT hormone? Minoxidil block it. DHT is the key of the sex drives. A lot of people are thinking, that Testosterone is the important think, yes it is, but without DHT, the men can not have good sex drives.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You dont know nothing about the hormones and still talking. Maybe you have to read something about DHT hormone? Minoxidil block it. DHT is the key of the sex drives. A lot of people are thinking, that Testosterone is the important think, yes it is, but without DHT, the men can not have good sex drives.
I don't know nothing? I'll assume English isn't your first language. I've done a lot of home research on minoxidil, finasteride and many other anti androgens.. minoxidil is a vasodilator which helps control blood pressure, it has absolutely no effect on libido. What could happen is a psychological reaction to taking the medicine which may cause problems with libido, or absolutely anything else. Also I have really low DHT and Testosterone levels due to treatments, I function fine and can still have sex with my girlfriend.