Can High Level Of Tsh Speed Up Hair Loss ?

HeadGrass

My Regimen
Reaction score
and your hair is coming back?

my doctor ruled out thyroid isues age ago because my test were 'normal', plus my hairloss is typical male pattern baldness pattern (receding hairline and crown) so he said it was just normal hairloss. i took finasteride and min and repsonded great to both drugs and regrew a lot of hair. but i had bad sides on finasteride so i quit and the hair got thin again

is it possible that whilst i do have normal male pattern baldness, thyroid issues could have sped the process up? i have the most aggressive hairloss in all my immediate family

I feel you. I have been dealing with the same nonsense. Doctor says it's in the "range", as if we are in kindergarden and he is just fitting the right cube shape in the right hole. Well I did test after test and I kept getting it in the red anyway. Yet I kept being forced to do more tests until it magically "fixed" itself and got out of the red and the Doctor said I'm "fine". I said I have hair loss fatigue and I was dismissed and they don't want to hear it. What a charade. Not to mention the thyroids started because of their medicine in the first place.

Regardless. I am mostly in this thread because I would like to know how everyone else got their thyroid problems if they are willing to share.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am confident I didn’t have a Thyroid issue and the meds triggered my Hairloss. Now it’s a losing game where a gradual aging decline is taking less than a few years after ZERO loss in 40 years.

HeadGrass

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am confident I didn’t have a Thyroid issue and the meds triggered my Hairloss. Now it’s a losing game where a gradual aging decline is taking less than a few years after ZERO loss in 40 years.

It's incredible how much permanent damage these "medicines" can do. I guess it's a lesson everyone has to learn about the medical industry right now. I can't imagine what other things medical drugs do apart from hair loss. I'd wager most cancers are from them as well. I'll never take another drug again.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@DoctorHouse

Quick question on your TSH experience. I dropped my dose down to 26mg almost nothing. Hoping it might keep me in range and reduce any loss caused by the medication.

Just had a TSH pulled in I was still pretty Hypo 4.8 range (1-4).

I’m still diffusing steadily with prone areas showing miniaturized hairs. Density under 5 percent of the start. Hair that is falling is mostly long healthy hair but no white bulbs.

Oral minoxidil 1.25
RU 70 ED in Stemox

Do you think you got more shedding from the medication or from a hypo state? I gained a bit of weight as well, no change in eating/workout.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
@DoctorHouse

Quick question on your TSH experience. I dropped my dose down to 26mg almost nothing. Hoping it might keep me in range and reduce any loss caused by the medication.

Just had a TSH pulled in I was still pretty Hypo 4.8 range (1-4).

I’m still diffusing steadily with prone areas showing miniaturized hairs. Density under 5 percent of the start. Hair that is falling is mostly long healthy hair but no white bulbs.

Oral minoxidil 1.25
RU 70 ED in Stemox

Do you think you got more shedding from the medication or from a hypo state? I gained a bit of weight as well, no change in eating/workout.
My thyroid levels were never abnormal. Your TSH is way too high considering you are taking synthroid. That was not a smart move to lower your dose. You need Propecia. Your fear is justifiable but I think you should try Propecia.

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My thyroid levels were never abnormal. Your TSH is way too high considering you are taking synthroid. That was not a smart move to lower your dose. You need Propecia. Your fear is justifiable but I think you should try Propecia.

If his ft4 levels are normal why would it make a difference? T4 is what has the end organ effect.

I’m more worried about hyperthyroidism than hypo, hyper has been shown to increase dht dramatically and to a greater extent than the increase in SHBG. So I would assume there is an increase in free dht

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I disagree with him. You will have diffuse thinning all over. Can you PM a photo of your hair?

If I send you a pic of my hair would you be able to tell if its thyroid related? I have thyroid problems in family and I think it could be a possiblity.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
If I send you a pic of my hair would you be able to tell if its thyroid related? I have thyroid problems in family and I think it could be a possiblity.
Have you had your thyroid checked?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just can’t get a clear sense of risk with Propecia or Duta... even if I knew it would work it would still be a tough choice. But for so many it seems like it doesn’t work, causes sides and in many cases makes hair worse. Even it it does I have to live with regret of waiting. It’s insane that no doctors understand this drug.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If his ft4 levels are normal why would it make a difference? T4 is what has the end organ effect.

I’m more worried about hyperthyroidism than hypo, hyper has been shown to increase dht dramatically and to a greater extent than the increase in SHBG. So I would assume there is an increase in free dht

Where did you read about the increase of dht in hyperthyroidism ?
I found only 1 study about that..if you can link it..thanks!

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Second this observation. I cut back dose and itch disappeared. TSH went way up. Upsetting.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No problem! Anecdotally my scalp feels much calmer on my lower dose of thyroxine

I dont thyroid problems but in the past i took thyroid pills to increase metabolism and lose weight faster. I didnt know it can affect sex hormones...i was hyperthyroidism for 1 month , i took 50mcg of t3, it destroyed my hairs and the nightmare started..biggest mistake of my life!

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
After zero Hairloss. 4 months In Synthroid and the nightmare started.

I think your hair loss is caused by the medication itself and not by hormones. Its a good thing because it may eventually growth back, its not destroyed by dht.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you had your thyroid checked?

I am going to get it checked sometime this week. Been a bit busy. The thing is I have thyroid problems in my family and my hairloss seems unreasonably aggressive which makes me think that something could be making my male pattern baldness even worse.