Can High Level Of Tsh Speed Up Hair Loss ?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
light brown hair with green eyes

lol how is this thyroid related?
Its not anymore. I just was curious more for why you have male pattern baldness. Sounds like you just have plain old male pattern baldness and you are just going to be a NW7 around 40 like you said.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pavi whats your hair loss pattern, is just diffuse or do you have receding hairline and crown?

f*** man i need to go to doctors. what do i need to test to see if thyroid are my problem?

Last edited:

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pavi whats your hair loss pattern, is just diffuse or do you have receding hairline and crown?

f*** man i need to go to doctors. what do i need to test to see if thyroid are my problem?

Receding + crown + diffusion. The major problem I had was hair loss on the sides of my head. That's how I knew something was messed up. I got massive regrowth in the crown but I still have diffusion all over, but it's only noticeable when my hair is wet. My father was a NW1 until 35 too. Lucky guy.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Receding + crown + diffusion. The major problem I had was hair loss on the sides of my head. That's how I knew something was messed up. I got massive regrowth in the crown but I still have diffusion all over, but it's only noticeable when my hair is wet. My father was a NW1 until 35 too. Lucky guy.

so what should i do man?

what tests do i take? what meds are u on?

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Free T3, Free T4, TSH, TPO (Thyroid Peroxidase antibody)

I take Levothyroxine (T4)
And Liothyronine (T3)

what sorts of ranges do i need to look for to show me i may have a problem? im sure when i speak to the doctor about the numbers they will just bullshit me

my tsh is 3.89. thats pretty high right? enough to cause accelerated hair loss?

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
what sorts of ranges do i need to look for to show me i may have a problem? im sure when i speak to the doctor about the numbers they will just bullshit me

my tsh is 3.89. thats pretty high right? enough to cause accelerated hair loss?

I felt hypothyroidal at a TSH of 4.5. It's all individual. What symptoms do u have?

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I felt hypothyroidal at a TSH of 4.5. It's all individual. What symptoms do u have?

i dont know much about thyroid stuff so i cant really say. but i know im tired a lot. and i know thats thyroid related. and i think im always kinda been tired and weak my whole life really.

i know it sounds stupid, but i really hope this is contributing to my hair loss. least i can do something about it if it is

afferd

Reaction score
@sunchyme1 I don't think your TSH value of 3.89 should alarm you too much.

Also you should get it checked on different days to get an average. Here are some TSH values that I got:

3.38 mIU/L
2.18 mIU/L
2.34 mIU/L
2.59 mIU/L

Reference range 0.35 to 5.0 mIU/L

Last edited:

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
@sunchyme1 I don't think your TSH value of 3.89 should alarm you too much.

Also you should get it checked on different days to get an average. Here are some TSH values that I got:

3.38 mIU/L
2.18 mIU/L
2.34 mIU/L
2.59 mIU/L

Reference range 0.35 to 5.0 mIU/L

Curious, what is the blonde hair, blue eyes reference? I have both...

alright cool ill check it again another time. get some other tests done too.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience thyroid is more likely to result in diffuse loss all over the head as well as on the sides and back of the head, so a general thinning of all hairs involved, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could also speed up male pattern baldness. Low thyroid makes every part of your body work worse.

skylinee

My Regimen
Reaction score
experiencing terrible hair shedding and thinning for past 6 months. My thyroid is being monitored but doctor is being a d-bag and won't treat.
My initial TSH levels were 7.5, second blood test it went down to 6.2... now I'm waiting for third and its been 5 months since 2nd blood test. Lost a good amount of hair, you can see my scalp on top and side temples because hair is gone. Hairline has receded too. I'm also loosing hair on chest and eyebrows

male pattern baldness on my dad's side :(
I'm 24

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
In my experience thyroid is more likely to result in diffuse loss all over the head as well as on the sides and back of the head, so a general thinning of all hairs involved, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could also speed up male pattern baldness. Low thyroid makes every part of your body work worse.
I read somewhere recently that thyroid disease can accelerate male pattern baldness and it has something to do with increasing the conversation of DHT so I guess finasteride would help slow it down. I have Hashimoto's and it definitely caused me to have diffuse thinning all over but enough to not cause any one to point it out just yet. My crown has taken the biggest hit recently but its mostly just diffuse were my cowlick is so with some toppik I can mask it well. I had no crown loss when I started treatments and finasteride and minoxidil did not prevent it from thinning. I am now on an autoimmune diet hoping to reverse some damage. So far I am noticing less inflammation in my joints and muscle tissue and gut. Hopefully, it might slow down my hair loss.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read somewhere recently that thyroid disease can accelerate male pattern baldness and it has something to do with increasing the conversation of DHT so I guess finasteride would help slow it down. I have Hashimoto's and it definitely caused me to have diffuse thinning all over but enough to not cause any one to point it out just yet. My crown has taken the biggest hit recently but its mostly just diffuse were my cowlick is so with some toppik I can mask it well. I had no crown loss when I started treatments and finasteride and minoxidil did not prevent it from thinning. I am now on an autoimmune diet hoping to reverse some damage. So far I am noticing less inflammation in my joints and muscle tissue and gut. Hopefully, it might slow down my hair loss.

Think that's true. I know women who have low thyroid, and they were diffuse all over. Not just the normal Norwood scale for females. Interestingly enough, when they treated their thyroid issues, their hair grew back.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score

@rclark

This is NOT true. Low thyroid hormone or high thyroid hormone do not cause hair loss becuase of DHT.

What happens is, the thyroid hormone is "permissive" of GH (growth hormone). Permissive means it helps it. Low thyroid hormone means GH doesn't act on target tissues as well.

This is why a main side effect of hypothyroidism is fatigue. Your body is trying to conserve energy because it has limited GH and a slower metabolism. The slower metabolism leads to the next main symptom: weight gain.

With low thyroid hormone, your body doesn't replicate DNA as fast AND your growth hormone goes to more important places... thus hair loss.

DHT hair loss is permanent. Thyroid hairloss is reversible.

Source: my pre med class

Last edited:

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hyperthyroidism raise DHT and Testosterone 8/10 times! i don't know the effects of hypo.

this was the biggest mistake of my life. i took t3 for rapid weight loss , i didnt know it can speed up baldness, after 3 months i went from nw1 to n3/4. i havent peace since than

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
hyperthyroidism raise DHT and Testosterone 8/10 times! i don't know the effects of hypo.

this was the biggest mistake of my life. i took t3 for rapid weight loss , i didnt know it can speed up baldness, after 3 months i went from nw1 to n3/4. i havent peace since than

Why would you ever take a hormone for weight loss. Triiodothyronine (T3) has serous health effects if you do not need it