Can High Level Of Tsh Speed Up Hair Loss ?

skylinee

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pavi

where did you loose hair when you realized you were hypo? Was it rapid shedding?
And did thyroid medicine help hair regrow? or do you think its was min?

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pavi

where did you loose hair when you realized you were hypo? Was it rapid shedding?
And did thyroid medicine help hair regrow? or do you think its was min?

All over. Even the sides. It was very diffuse and yes the medicine helped regrow hair

skylinee

My Regimen
Reaction score
All over. Even the sides. It was very diffuse and yes the medicine helped regrow hair
I see. how long did it take to regrow?

I'm hypo and waiting on blood test. TSH level high, this time endo should put me on thyroid meds. never used rogaine yet because I don't know exact reason for hair loss. My worry is that even after thyroid medication, hair continues to fall out and I go from NW2 to NW3. I went for NW1 to NW2 within 6 months!

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see. how long did it take to regrow?

I'm hypo and waiting on blood test. TSH level high, this time endo should put me on thyroid meds. never used rogaine yet because I don't know exact reason for hair loss. My worry is that even after thyroid medication, hair continues to fall out and I go from NW2 to NW3. I went for NW1 to NW2 within 6 months!

Realize that you can have male pattern baldness and hypothyroidism (like me). You could very well be put on thyroid medicine and continue to lose hair from male pattern baldness

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Realize that you can have male pattern baldness and hypothyroidism (like me). You could very well be put on thyroid medicine and continue to lose hair from male pattern baldness
I have both too. Do you have Hashimoto's too?

mdmnota

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My TSH is 0.8 which I believe may be a sign of hyperthyroidism. I'm loosing hair everywhere and also quality of my hair sucks now. Even though 0.8 is in range, it's very low and loosing eyebrows as well supports my theory.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
My TSH is 0.8 which I believe may be a sign of hyperthyroidism. I'm loosing hair everywhere and also quality of my hair sucks now. Even though 0.8 is in range, it's very low and loosing eyebrows as well supports my theory.

You very well may have what is called subclinical hyperthyroidism. What are your symptoms?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@Pavi hypothyroidism speed up male pattern baldness because it causes low progesterone. Last one help the inihbition from test to dht. So low levels of progesterone = more dht.

Today i have my results. T4 and t3 normal but tsh is 3.12. In january was 1.48 and in october 4.19. I fall in subclinical hypothyroidism ? :(

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pavi hypothyroidism speed up male pattern baldness because it causes low progesterone. Last one help the inihbition from test to dht. So low levels of progesterone = more dht.

Today i have my results. T4 and t3 normal but tsh is 3.12. In january was 1.48 and in october 4.19. I fall in subclinical hypothyroidism ? :(

That's kinda untrue. If it speeds up male pattern baldness... why does it grow back when properly medicated...?

I felt horrible at TSH of 4.5. Try to maybe get your Doctor to get you a low dose T4. Make sure you seek the advice of your doctor though. I don't know your history.

mdmnota

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You very well may have what is called subclinical hyperthyroidism. What are your symptoms?

Well aside from loosing hair from all over head, and eyebrows and eyelashes. I have usual mood swings, my wrists are weak and I can't get any weight. I'll go to a private doctor to check my thyroid again this summer.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thyroid medication is largely a joke and endo's do not know how to treat it.

It works the same way as testosterone replacement - you take it, your own glands starts making less of the hormone (when the TSH drops), and now you're back to square one...

I've tried synthetic T4, T3, and natural desiccated thyroid, never felt normal on any of them (despite that I had PERFECT labs on them).

But I managed to lower my TSH from 8 to 3.57 with the Ray Peat diet and Steve Richfield's temperature protocol...

My hormones are still not optimal but I never got anywhere with those f*****g pills, I actually feel half decent now.

mdmnota

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whatevr, do you have androgenetic alopecia, or thyroid problems? Or both?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's kinda untrue. If it speeds up male pattern baldness... why does it grow back when properly medicated...?

I felt horrible at TSH of 4.5. Try to maybe get your Doctor to get you a low dose T4. Make sure you seek the advice of your doctor though. I don't know your history.

Im still in the avarege range (0,5-4.20) , i wont take any t4 for now..

Im also taking dutasteride which raises a bit (0,40) the tsh.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pavi this is really helpful. I was diagnosed with a slightly low T4 in October 2015. Started synthroid. By May I started to notice thinning at the crown. Until then, at age 40, I was an incredibly thick NW0 with black hair and no loss. I had a crazy shed in June after I got off track with the doses. Quit the synthesis and freaked out about male pattern baldness. Continue to diffuse thin for a year started minoxidil for much worse and docs trying to get me on Propecia. Had new labs and TSH is at 5.1. T4 T3 in range but sub optimal. Hair is differed thinner, weaker lighter, shedding a ton. Could this still be thyroid related? Should I push for T3 medication?

I think the thyroid rapid sped up a slow MBP process and my hair in under two years is at about 30% density with 20% miniaturized.

Thank you!

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Won’t I still be in bad shape with thyroid and too low a ferritin level to grow anything back?

I have topical Finasteride too. Debating on starting there. Any thoughts?

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pavi this is really helpful. I was diagnosed with a slightly low T4 in October 2015. Started synthroid. By May I started to notice thinning at the crown. Until then, at age 40, I was an incredibly thick NW0 with black hair and no loss. I had a crazy shed in June after I got off track with the doses. Quit the synthesis and freaked out about male pattern baldness. Continue to diffuse thin for a year started minoxidil for much worse and docs trying to get me on Propecia. Had new labs and TSH is at 5.1. T4 T3 in range but sub optimal. Hair is differed thinner, weaker lighter, shedding a ton. Could this still be thyroid related? Should I push for T3 medication?

I think the thyroid rapid sped up a slow MBP process and my hair in under two years is at about 30% density with 20% miniaturized.

Thank you!

Your TSH is considered subclinical hypothyroidism. Are you feeling any symptoms besides hair loss? Fatigue? Coldness? Slow heart rate?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
All but the cold. Ultrasound came back with some swelling. TPO led them to think it was Hashimoto. Hoping meds might help hair. I still think there’s underlying male pattern baldness.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Following up on this. On 39 mg labs normal.

I know there is significant miniaturized hair all over where there had been diffuse loss.

On my labs though I have high progesterone very very low DHT and PSA. Moderate T. Prolactin was slightly about midpoint.

I’m afraid lowering serum DHT when it’s already so low will just mean sides and no meaningful impact on hair. I feel like I need to do something as the diffuse is borderline noticeable with a clear pattern.