Anyone Else Experiencing Constant Shedding But Also Regrowth? | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Anyone Else Experiencing Constant Shedding But Also Regrowth?

Discussion in 'Shedding Shedding Shedding' started by Harro, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Harro

Harro New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Dear hairloss soldiers,

Let me start this post by introducing myself:
    Male,23 years old. Gym 3 a 4x a week, active and semi healthy lifestyle (no nutrient difficiencies)
    Started receiding around 16, slowly but it was happening at the temples. I always had a high hairline so I ignored it and thought it was just the way my hairline was.

Well, in the summer of 2018 my hair got really bad, so I started doing research and bought castor oil and a derma roller. Hair only got thinner for 4 months so I bought Rogaine (minoxidil), Nizoral and ditched the castor oil.

Started Rogaine 24 oktober every night and derma rolling once a week. I wash my hair with Nizoral 2/3x a week and 2x a week with random shampoo.
    I have to say that I did not derma roll every week, but started doing it consistently for the last 3 months. So I have been on rogaine+dermaroller +nizoral for +- 5 months.

I first started out with 0.5 cap of Rogaine foam on the temples and a little in the vertex. But since I am thinning on the whole top of my head I thought after 3 months why not use a whole cap and apply it over the whole dht affected area.

However... I have been experiencing constant shedding for the last 5 months and not talking about some hair in the shower but:

- Every morning 10-20 on pillow
    - every day shower when applying shampoo:20 - 50
    - When applying Rogaine in the evening : 20 - 40
    - hairs falling out during the day:+-20
    - when dermarolling over whole head (1x/week) +-50 hairs

The hairs that I'm shedding are, thick thin long, short, curly, straight, brown, vellus. So there is not a specific type of hairs shedding.

I do not remember how this was before i started treatment since I didn't really pay attention when washing my hair/ checking hairs on pillow.

What I do know however, is I always got like 2 - 6 hairs in my hand while running my fingers through my hairs. While now when I do this I get none - 1/2

Eventhough I have these enormous amounts of hair falling out every day, I think that I'm actually making progress with my hair in some places. But my hair still seems to get thinner overall. This could be due to the facts that I am applying it all over my head for the last 2 months,but not sure.

My question is, are there people out there experiencing the same constant shedding like mine but are still seeing overall results? Did the shedding ever stop?

P.s i don't want to hop on finesteride because I don't want to mess with my hormones.
    Also, sorry for any spelling errors typing this on my phone

2. shidoin

shidoin Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rogaine will cause a dramatic shed, derma rolling can cause scar tissue. Rogaine does not stop hairloss or DHT. If you don't want to get on finasteride or dutasteride you may not see improvements. Rogaine increases the growth cycle of some hairs and may cause some regrowth but won't stop the hairs from miniaturizing

3. Calikid

Calikid Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I have the some kind of diffuse loss all over. Just about every hair that I shed 90% are terminal and have a white bulb at the end on it. I hope its Telogen Effluvium as I have been on finasteride for 14 months and oral min for 9 months.

However its probably just a sign of aggressive balding.

4. UnknownT

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen

Have you noticed less hair fall at all?

How is it taking oral minoxidil? I hear of lots of sides

5. Calikid

Calikid Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Yes lots of shedding since I started oral min. 150 a day some days 200. No sides however.

bluecyclone likes this.
  6. Benjamin

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Yes! I’m experiencing the same thing. Just
    rogaine topical for awhile and got fed up with it and that’s when I switched to the oral.
    Yes! I’m going through Something similar. I’ve had ridiculous amounts of shedding but also what it seems at times to be regrowth and like new hairs coming in that feel pokey in a way”for the past month every single day ever since I switched from 0.45 oral a day to 2.5 twice a day. And I did the 0.45 for maybe a couple of months. And before that I did just rogaine foam for like a year. And I was finesteride for about half a year and then switched to dutasteride and have been on that for about 7 months. And same thing to what the other guy said about the hairs being different that shed. 90% of them are good looking hairs with the white at the end. The shedding has also affected my entire scalp which I find odd because I thought the dutasteride had stopped the back part, which means it shouldn’t shed from mindioxil according to theory. Also sorry for the incoherent mess. I typed it much better and then it fucking deleted half of it.

#6 Benjamin, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. Benjamin

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Look at my response to Harro

8. bluecyclone

bluecyclone Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Do you guys feel like anytime you touch your hair or light brushing you pull out 5-10 hairs? For me it is a constant everyday in addition to the general hair fall in pillows etc. in the shower this is insane for years, handfuls.

At first all Terminal white bulbs, now thinner no bulbs. Got worse when I started Oral Minoxidil.

Is this just aggressive balding?

Are other factors at play? It is all diffuse, pretty even on top. Some side and back thinning but less so.

Finasteride has increased the shedding with no slow down after 9 months.

Stop oral minoxidil? Risk?
    Stop Finasteride?

I’m just broken as this is happening so fast. Under 60% in just 2 years and thick dark hair has become a whispy nest.

MrsS likes this.
  9. noveau22

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I got telogen effivium which is like a crazy shed or w/e for a month after taking finasteride. I believe 3 weeks after I started finasteride.
    I'm a diffuse thinner as well. It prob doesn't happen to a lot of people but yea just a heads up. I clogged my strainer up each day b/c it was so bad and like you said. Every time I toughed my head hairs would just fall down like hell.

Just remember every reacts differently to w/e drug or food etc..so many arguments online and here about finasteride or minoxidil etc..

10. bluecyclone

bluecyclone Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Did it change? Did you stay on Finasteride?

11. noveau22

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    yes it changed after 6 to 7 weeks to normal shedding and hell to the NO to finasteride.

trust me I wanted it to work and not trying to scare you. I mean Ashton Kutcher was on dutasteride or w.e for 15 years and hes fine.

Risk is a bitch man. wish you the best! hopefully CB becomes a lot cheaper and works for everyone but prob not till 3 years later..

12. WheeljackG1

WheeljackG1 Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Yes, I have temple regrowth. I'm not on any hairloss medication. I just got really OCD trying to find other ways to make my hair grow. My temple regrowth is slow and not thick or growing too long yet, but I am getting some. I shed like mad though. I'm pretty sure I have dermatitis and that is what's causing this. I don't know how to get rid of this dermatitis. I suspect if I could get rid of it my hair shedding would dramatically decrease.