Any Experience With Very Low Dose Oral Minoxidil (less Than 5 Mg)

jasari

Reaction score
I've recently been reading alot on oral minoxidil, and anecdotally almost everyone seems to claim dramatically better results the topical variety.

The biggest issue as hairloss progresses, is trying to style it once the greasy mixtures such as minoxidil hit your scalp which has led me to look towards a stronger oral protocol.

I've been taking finasteride for the better part of 7 years with minimal issues minus a relatively mild loss of libido, which, while mild still bothers me.

This has led me to considered whether Sildenafil could be a possible option in place of oral Min. While it isn't free from risk, it does appear to be heavily studied and potentially safer than oral Min, plus there does seem to be studies which show it significantly outperforming topical minoxidil.

As I'm losing ground, I was considering whether a regimen of finasteride, Sildenafil, Weekly Dermrolling + a topical that allows for easier hairstyling (say zix) could yield results?

[I've linked one of the studies I've found below. I'm not science savvy, so all I get from the below is that it potentially works?].

"Results

We confirmed high expression of PDE5 in hDPCs and hHFs. Sildenafil enhances proliferation of hDPCs and up-regulates the mRNA expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), which are responsible for hair growth. Additionally, sildenafil up-regulates the levels of phosphorylated ERK accelerates anagen induction by stimulating perifollicular vessel formation topical application in mice.

Conclusion

Our study demonstrates for the first time, the significant therapeutic potential of sildenafil on hair growth and its potential use in treatment of alopecia."

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Posting this again because my oral minoxidil tablets are running out and shipment is being delayed.

I know from other posts on this forum that 1ml of Minoxidil 5% solution is 50mg. My question is, if I want to get 5mg out of the liquid formula, would that equate to 0.25ml of the 2% solution?

I'm assuming since 1mg of 5% solution = 50mg, so 1mg of 2% solution = 20mg.

Would really really appreciate an answer for this as oral minoxidil has done so much for thickening my miniaturized hairs and I'd really hate to lose ground.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably i mean I was always curious about the absorption of such a small amount in the mucous membranes in the mouth. Sublingual meds also bypass the first pass effect so they dont get extensively metabolized in the liver. Idk its been awhile since I've been into the science stuff but i guess if you made sure you swallowed it it would be similar? :shrug: again i don't advise this but hey man you do you.

DiffuseSucks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will being vegan cause sides? One of the benefits of vegan diet is lowering blood pressure levels. My Blood pressure is higher than normal range so taking Oral min would seem like it's work well for me. But If i were to lower BP from vegan diet and then use oral it would bring my BP down even lower which would probably cause sides?

Kaue carrera

My Regimen
Reaction score
any pictures of before and after oral minoxidil?

of the topical minoxidil we have several photos and reports showing its effectiveness.

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm maybe a month into taking 1.25mg a day. I initially thought I was experiencing an elevated heart rate, but this could have been down to nervousness surrounding taking a new medication.

Strangely my resting heart rate seems to be lower than usual now. Can Minoxidil cause this? My resting hear rate has dropped to the low 60s, even got a 59 reading earlier - never seen it this low before.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I added 5 mg oral minoxidil to my regimen 6 weeks ago and just very recently noticed a huge improvement in hair thickness AND some regrowth along the hairline. I was thrilled, considering I have had nothing but loss and recession for 9 straight months.

Unfortunately, I started getting heart palpitations and edema right around the time I noticed regrowth :( :(. I'm going to take a few days off, supplement with topical minoxidil in the meantime (which never really worked for me in the past), then restart at a lower dose.

Has anyone had success with very low doses of oral minoxidil?
Has anyone supplemented their oral minoxidil with topical minoxidil?

Jesus, JUST USE MINOXIDIL TOPICAL AND ADD TRETINOIN !!!!!!!!!!
Nobody read studies nowaday ?!

lawyeah

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 month in ( 2,5 mg ) regrowth on the sides and on the temples. Pb is i want regrowth all above on the front and the density is really low at the time. Does anyone know if minoxidil is able to regrow on the whole scalp or not ? i think about increasing the dosage as well

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 month in ( 2,5 mg ) regrowth on the sides and on the temples. Pb is i want regrowth all above on the front and the density is really low at the time. Does anyone know if minoxidil is able to regrow on the whole scalp or not ? i think about increasing the dosage as well

2.5mg has shown in studies to be less effective, up your dosage to 5mg and give it 6-12 months

Kaue carrera

My Regimen
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "lawyeah, post: 1897801, membro: 142093"] 2 meses em (2,5 mg) de rebrota nas laterais e nos templos. Pb é que eu quero rebrotar tudo acima na frente e a densidade é realmente baixa no momento. Alguém sabe se o minoxidil é capaz de regenerar todo o couro cabeludo ou não? eu penso em aumentar a dosagem também [/ QUOTE]

I'm also on 2.5mg of oral minoxidil

what is your report in 2 months of oral minoxidil? positive and negative points

lawyeah

My Regimen
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "lawyeah, post: 1897801, membro: 142093"] 2 meses em (2,5 mg) de rebrota nas laterais e nos templos. Pb é que eu quero rebrotar tudo acima na frente e a densidade é realmente baixa no momento. Alguém sabe se o minoxidil é capaz de regenerar todo o couro cabeludo ou não? eu penso em aumentar a dosagem também [/ QUOTE]

I'm also on 2.5mg of oral minoxidil

what is your report in 2 months of oral minoxidil? positive and negative points
positive points : regrowth on the sites and on the temples
negative points : shedding is still here and i think i'm still losing ground in the frontal area what rlly matters the most for me

lawyeah

My Regimen
Reaction score
no bad side effects, just the puffy eyes but it's not dramatic in my case. I run well, my heart beat seems correct

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
Think I'm about 6 weeks in now on a 1.25mg(ish) a day dose. Really need a pill cutter as a kitchen knife isn't splitting the pills accurately....

So far... my chest is getting hairier! Hoping my scalp also responds soon. Have a derminator being delivered soon to incorporate needling.

Going to stick to this low dose for another 6 weeks before thinking about raising to 2.5mg.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never had any skin issues with oral min and i have been on it since october 2018 or so, i think people should have a good skincare regimen anyway.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After 128 days on oral minoxidil, i notice a lot more wrinkles on hands and feet (i had almost none wrinkles on feet) and a little more wrinkles on forehead and undereyes, but nothing major yet. But on hands and feet, the collagen depletion effect of minoxidil is obvious. I take 20g collagen powder a day, but it seems useless

Eyelashes are crazy long and I am starting to notice thicker head hair, so thats positive. But I am scared of the collagen destruction since I am only 21.
You're the first to mention the non-facial collagen effects of oral min. I notice these too, moreso than on the face...back on hands, inner elbows, and feet. After ~ 3-4 days one can see a visible improvement so at least it seems to reverse.