6 Month Ru Trial - Weekly Photos And Progress

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't pay any attention to anyone who insults you for being here while having good amount of hair. It always starts somewhere. I once was looking for opinions on my hair loss and was told by everyone "you're fine, don't worry."

Take initiative (you already did), and keep your hair and regrow whatever you lost. Most of these people still don't understand that the cure to hair loss is to catch it when you haven't lost much yet. You can wait until you're NW3, 4, to do something but then guess what? Too late, your hair gone, all you can hope is too stop further loss.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is thinning at the sides and back normal as well as part of MBP? I can see the start of a pattern on top and some miniaturized hair (20%) but man my sides and back should I part look the same as the top in terms of thinning? I feel like even the existing hair has miniaturized into a stringing mess, but not just in the top. Thyroid is in check. Still struggling to keep iron up. Otherwise dedicated on the RU and will consider Finasteride. Just not sure it’s 100% androgens at work, I could be horribly wrong though.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update and advice needed.

Still shedding a combination of thick normal hair, Ling dead thinner at the base, and very small new hairs.

The thinnest part is a line down the immediate center of my head and the diffuse is getting worse all over the top. The front once in tact is so thin I can’t comb it back any more.

I’m scared of Finasteride and a shed that will force me over the edge noticeable loss.

Any tips from diffuse thinners, hair cuts, products, treatments please share. I’m using the RU still but doubt any progress.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you ONLY on RU? It's difficult, because if you shed on RU, you may be likely to shed on other treatments. I'm the same - very sensitive follicles. It's hard to say what your next best move would be, but one would assume that the most prudent course of action is to rule out the obvious treatments like finasteride and minor before you try the harder stuff.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @Georgie

The sheds with any treatment have been huge steps backwards that I never recovered any density. At a glance I still have a full head of hair and hairline but it has gotten so evenly thin that I’m afraid scalp will be noticeable if hit with another shed. Been holding on Finasteride for that reason.

It’s weird. I am getting a ton of miniaturized hair but I think there are a few issues hitting at once. My iron is always very low. I’m in perfect shape. Marathons and lift every day. About to hit the two year mark since the loss started before that it was incredible wavy black hair so dense I could barley wear a hat.

The part is where I can’t ignore the the thinning, from almost no gap to over .5 inch. Seems like a female pattern. It’s gotten a lot worse.

2016, late 2017

Attachments

• CABB936C-C913-42BA-9E40-F3601DFC87BF.jpeg
    CABB936C-C913-42BA-9E40-F3601DFC87BF.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 757
  • FE93E513-66E1-4F73-A624-F480D86F3479.jpeg
    FE93E513-66E1-4F73-A624-F480D86F3479.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 776
  • DBB112FD-535B-4769-A5A6-6B364655D239.jpeg
    DBB112FD-535B-4769-A5A6-6B364655D239.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 797

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @Georgie

The sheds with any treatment have been huge steps backwards that I never recovered any density. At a glance I still have a full head of hair and hairline but it has gotten so evenly thin that I’m afraid scalp will be noticeable if hit with another shed. Been holding on Finasteride for that reason.

It’s weird. I am getting a ton of miniaturized hair but I think there are a few issues hitting at once. My iron is always very low. I’m in perfect shape. Marathons and lift every day. About to hit the two year mark since the loss started before that it was incredible wavy black hair so dense I could barley wear a hat.

The part is where I can’t ignore the the thinning, from almost no gap to over .5 inch. Seems like a female pattern. It’s gotten a lot worse.

2016, late 2017
Yeah i’m The same with all treatments. My density has only gotten worse since the day my hairloss began 4 years ago. You do still look like you have wonderful hair. Actually your part is much smaller than mine, but I understand that hairloss is progressive. Have you had a diagnosis from a derm? I have miniturisation all over my scalp too, and the worst is right around the hairline and the very top of my head, but I was diagnosed with menopausal level estrogen. Sadly estrogen still doesn’t fix the problem.’
I would say if your bloods are all good and you are taking good care of your body, the next step is probably fina.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
This nightmare continues. And please spare the ‘you have nice hair’ I’m dropping over 100 every shower, the length hides the absolutely decimated hair density. My hairline is going. Everything I have tried has only made things worse. The only improvement I had was in November 2017 6 months after starting minoxidil. It took terrible turn in December and I’m well below baseline. I have been pouring RU on my head every day and continue shedding, maybe worse than before. I still have not seen one credible diffuse success story on Finasteride and I’m sorry the risk are insane even if it was a guarantee to work. There have been maybe 2 posted and the OP is questionable if not exaggerating. I have no idea what to do. It has ruined my life and it’s not yet been two full years.

Attachments

• CFC5454A-6037-447E-A48D-A3DF689262EB.jpeg
    CFC5454A-6037-447E-A48D-A3DF689262EB.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 703
  • 687F9A36-BC2C-4104-B700-23964B1435F7.jpeg
    687F9A36-BC2C-4104-B700-23964B1435F7.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 699
  • 2087C732-5E02-4D08-BB68-3329AEA079BD.jpeg
    2087C732-5E02-4D08-BB68-3329AEA079BD.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 702

abcdefg

Reaction score
Every single Norwood 6 started off at some point with great hair that looks fine. Slowly over time one day at a time male pattern baldness eats away at your hair very slowly so you dont worry or notice it. Then wham one day years later you realize how much hair went away.
You should wait until your positive its male pattern baldness before doing anything though. No treatment is risk free or works that well so its not worth risking sides if you never had male pattern baldness to begin with

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I have shed the illusion that it is not male pattern baldness. It came on out of nowhere with a major Telogen Effluvium and has declined every day since. The daily shed isn’t coming out of nowhere anymore it is a daily nightmare. I only have Finasteride left to try but with minoxidil making things much worse after the first shed and no results in RU I’m expecting more of the same but with horrible sides.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I have shed the illusion that it is not male pattern baldness. It came on out of nowhere with a major Telogen Effluvium and has declined every day since. The daily shed isn’t coming out of nowhere anymore it is a daily nightmare. I only have Finasteride left to try but with minoxidil making things much worse after the first shed and no results in RU I’m expecting more of the same but with horrible sides.
What’s odd is that I can’t see any miniturisation althoUgh I know it’s sometimes difficult to see in photos. For me though, my miniturisation is pretty distinct from my other hair because it looks fluffy, and ether dull grey-Brown or blonde. My entire hairline looks kind of blurry or frayed because it’s
completed lined with miniturised hairs. They are noticeably thinner than other hairs too. I’ll attach an example. We are similar in our extreme shedding and diffuse loss though. You have no known health problems?

Attachments

• 9BB171FE-7F3D-4222-AE85-AE1C2738A125.jpeg
    9BB171FE-7F3D-4222-AE85-AE1C2738A125.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 688
  • 5F832E7F-7775-4FD0-83B3-C67F83E53845.jpeg
    5F832E7F-7775-4FD0-83B3-C67F83E53845.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 677
  • D6ECE2A5-B2D7-4496-B949-52A1B77E7CA5.jpeg
    D6ECE2A5-B2D7-4496-B949-52A1B77E7CA5.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 657

Danjellyman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd go get a full work up, from a homeopathic physician. Not saying that treating this as male pattern baldness is not a good move, it is. BUT, roll out any other causes. Just hearing you are loosing hair on the sides and back of the head is alarming. DHT will not impact hairs under occipital bone, they IN MOST CASES are completely resistant to that. Like I said, a general practitioner will do too basic of a work up.

Maybe start eating clean too. See if your body is reacting to something in your diet.

Make sure this is male pattern baldness before you start subjecting your hair to the heavy hitters.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks all. I’m trying to move as if there are more than a few factors at play. I can’t ignore my age and that some male pattern baldness is most likely the number 1 factor. I do believe some degree of thyroid, digestion due to over prescribed antibiotics, and nutrition play a role.

The shafts are much thinner. There is miniaturized hair all over. The pattern is bizarre like an arrow right down the center though now the sides are also thinning out. What’s weird is that the sides and back have thinner but not miniaturized like the DHT effected top.

Debating stopping all medication. I already eat clean, paleo I am a fit and under weight.

Labs were the opppsite profile for MBP other than low ferritin.

Attachments

• 2CE7614F-3335-467D-86FE-5A7F59A59485.jpeg
    2CE7614F-3335-467D-86FE-5A7F59A59485.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 549
  • 0D270914-767C-4797-8D5F-46628D633A32.jpeg
    0D270914-767C-4797-8D5F-46628D633A32.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m freaking out. Since December the change has been dramatic. It’s not just he 50 hairs per shower it is the quality of what’s there. All of the healthy normal hair is gone and I’m living with this doll hair falling out all over. The sides and back are definitely much better thank the crown. My temples are fading fast. I have been heavy on RU and and AI plus oral minoxidil.

Is trearment hair all thin garbage? I’m still under two years since this started.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 381161B1-FE60-4A4B-AFD3-2CCC76BE2EA0.jpeg
    381161B1-FE60-4A4B-AFD3-2CCC76BE2EA0.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 642
  • A0F662E2-ED0F-4A38-870C-F5A5AD4D00CD.jpeg
    A0F662E2-ED0F-4A38-870C-F5A5AD4D00CD.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 637

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I’m freaking out. Since December the change has been dramatic. It’s not just he 50 hairs per shower it is the quality of what’s there. All of the healthy normal hair is gone and I’m living with this doll hair falling out all over. The sides and back are definitely much better thank the crown. My temples are fading fast. I have been heavy on RU and and AI plus oral minoxidil.

Is trearment hair all thin garbage? I’m still under two years since this started.

Any ideas?
Have you got your thyroid under control yet? What are you new lab results since last time?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you got your thyroid under control yet? What are you new lab results since last time?
Nothing new. Last labs came back normal. I’m on a low dose Tirosant (26mg) diet is the sane but the hair, even the normal hair has changed in thickness and color. Still using the low dose RU and oral minoxidil. Ferritin is still under 40. I am almost desperate enough to try Finasteride but I think it’s going to cause a shed I’ll never recover from... other idea is stopping EVERYTHING.

Concerned the long hair is making it worse but think it hides a lot. My crown below the comb back is crazy thin. Just a ton of hair everyday and a huge decline since mild improvement in November.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Nothing new. Last labs came back normal. I’m on a low dose Tirosant (26mg) diet is the sane but the hair, even the normal hair has changed in thickness and color. Still using the low dose RU and oral minoxidil. Ferritin is still under 40. I am almost desperate enough to try Finasteride but I think it’s going to cause a shed I’ll never recover from... other idea is stopping EVERYTHING.

Concerned the long hair is making it worse but think it hides a lot. My crown below the comb back is crazy thin. Just a ton of hair everyday and a huge decline since mild improvement in November.
I would try finasteride. If your hair loss is due to DHT, you MIGHT improve. If not, it will just keep thinning.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is insane. My labs had DHT below minimum range already. It hasn’t even been two years from insane hair to this mess. Hair is breaking off and it’s some insane mix of hair types with constant fall. I go 40 years and it’s going to all fall out in under two?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish I could get a clear answer from any doctor on DHT related thinning versus other factors (thyroid, nutrition). My labs all point to the opposite androgentic profile but I will assume it could be a change/increased sensitivity.

1. Can miniaturized hairs be related to low ferritin? Vitamin D or are velus/miniaturized hairs strictly related to DHT?

2. How long do these cycles take for the follicles to die? Meaning is there hope for these hairs to go terminal/regrow now that won’t be possible in a few cycles?

3. Anyone hair experience with low ferritin? I have read that hair will fall out sub 40 and simply cannot grow sub 70?

4. Can RU work for diffuse loss?

The thinning is my entire head but the thinner quality of hair and miniaturized hairs are diffuse only on the top.

@DoctorHouse @hellouser

Attachments

• A4C61919-8593-4ABA-9AD9-B7EE2A294FD2.jpeg
    A4C61919-8593-4ABA-9AD9-B7EE2A294FD2.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 542

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I wish I could get a clear answer from any doctor on DHT related thinning versus other factors (thyroid, nutrition). My labs all point to the opposite androgentic profile but I will assume it could be a change/increased sensitivity.

1. Can miniaturized hairs be related to low ferritin? Vitamin D or are velus/miniaturized hairs strictly related to DHT?

2. How long do these cycles take for the follicles to die? Meaning is there hope for these hairs to go terminal/regrow now that won’t be possible in a few cycles?

3. Anyone hair experience with low ferritin? I have read that hair will fall out sub 40 and simply cannot grow sub 70?

4. Can RU work for diffuse loss?

The thinning is my entire head but the thinner quality of hair and miniaturized hairs are diffuse only on the top.

@DoctorHouse @hellouser
I said this before and I will say it again. Some people start to lose density due to the hair diameter getting thinner due to age. It seems like 40 is the magic age for some full heads. I have seen this in many people I know for many years before they were 40. It happened to me too. I am just grateful I have as much hair as I do at my age because the guys on here have it really bad.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get it. I’m just trying to get a better understanding of my odds shouldn’t i try Finasteride. To me the biggest risk is a remarkable shed with no recovery rather than riding out a natural decline. I made he mistake with minoxidil and having similar results with RU.