40 steps to completely reverse M.P.B.

barcafan

Reaction score
Bryan said:
amsch said:
Is there a topical estrogene product out there without systemic absorption?

Not to my knowledge. An early study by Kligman tested topical estrogen, but he found that it was almost entirely absorbed systemically. Of course, he wasn't able to test every possible estrogenic compound and in every possible topical vehicle, so we can't state definitively that's it's impossible to have a topical estrogen product without systemic absorption, but the odds don't look very good.

any clues as to why estrogen gets absorbed systemically and not, say, spironolactone?

HairDont

Established Member
Reaction score
Man Bryan you really need to get out more. You are one angry soul.
I said some estrogen is noted as being good for the hair while I also said "I believe too much estrogen is bad for the hair"
Geez!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HairDont said:
I said some estrogen is noted as being good for the hair while I also said "I believe too much estrogen is bad for the hair"

Really? So how much is "too much"?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Bryan said:
HairDont said:

Really? So how much is "too much"?

It’s all about which pathway estrogen takes. Ori Hofmekler, author of The Warrior Diet and The Anti-Estrogenic Diet claims the secret is to switch the ratio to 2-hydroxyestrogen instead of 16-hydroxyestrogen. The reason I believe he says that is because 2-hydroxyestrogen is the protective estrogen, the one that replaces estradiol on S.H.B.G., 16-hydroxy estrogen is the inflammatory estrogen, the one that causes bloating, weight gain, inflammation and balding! ! 16-hydroxystrogen increases the effects of D.H.T. Remember that D.H.T. is an estrogen antagonist, meaning it responses to estrogenic activity... if estrogenic activity is low, then D.H.T. activity is low. The more estrogen in the body means that there will be more 16-hydroxyestrogen. The less estrogen in the body means more 2-hydroxyestrogen.

Also, another point I wanna point out. The American Diet is notorious for having an excess amount of fat, especially saturated and trans fat (not to mention refined carbs!). All this fat consumption increases cholesterol production, which in turn increases testosterone, like I said, when testosterone levels are too high, the body starts to convert!

So the question is how to switch the ratio...right? Well two ways to do it are by flaxseeds and D.I.M. and also a low fat/high fiber diet. A low fat/high fiber diet will also reduce cholesterol levels, which will reduce testosterone production (which will put it in balance with S.H.B.G., instead of having excess free testosterone!) and also increase Growth Hormone!

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
I can see a little bit of bryan and misterE's points here. I just appreciate misterE trying to advance our fight on male pattern baldness whether wrong or not. Even if wrong he's tryin to dig up answers and maybe might finally hit on something to help us here. Nothing wrong in questioning his theories either, all checks and balances.

BTW, what is D.I.M. and S.H.B.G.

legion00

Reaction score
its not "advancing the fight" if his theories are totally arbitrary and lack any, or are contrary to, scientific evidence.

btw, "wash your head with cold water" is my favorite piece of hairloss advice ever.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
legion00 said:
its not "advancing the fight" if his theories are totally arbitrary and lack any, or are contrary to, scientific evidence.

Exactly. What speaks volumes about his anti-estrogen diatribe is his utter inability to acknowledge or confront the scientific evidence I've cited for him. I suggest that people simply ignore him.

HairDont

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually Bryan I think we should ignore you.
Anytime someone brings up a discussion about excess Estrogen you come crying like a baby. (This happens on every hair related site)
Show me one study that proves excess estrogen is good for a man and good for his hair.

Just because you think you are the E expert is almost too funny.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
HairDont said:
Actually Bryan I think we should ignore you.
Anytime someone brings up a discussion about excess Estrogen you come crying like a baby. (This happens on every hair related site)
Show me one study that proves excess estrogen is good for a man and good for his hair.

I agree. Bryan is absolutly closed-minded when it comes to estrogen.

cuebald

Reaction score
That's because this "estrogen being bad for hair follicles" is a load of sh*t.
Have any of you even answered "why don't women go bald" ? yet?

Also, I want to know how long you've all been on anti-estrogenic medication, how much hair you've grown back, and how much weight you've lost.
Otherwise, it's all toss.

:shakehead:

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
What about red meat, what do you think about it ? She is good or bad for your hair ? A diet with lean red meat and at least 1x per week would be a good idea?

HairDont

Established Member
Reaction score
An interesting study showing that blocking estrogen caused new hair growth while adding estrogen blocked hair growth.

Estrogen-Blocking Compound Found to Cause Hair Growth
EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE AT 5 P.M., OCT. 28
Scientists at North Carolina State University have found that an estrogen-blocking compound used in their studies has an unexpected side effect: It induces hair growth in laboratory mice by stimulating inactive hair follicles.
Treating the mice with a biologically active estrogen was found to have the opposite effect: It blocks hair growth by locking follicles into a resting mode.
The discoveries suggest estrogen plays a much more important role in hair growth than scientists previously thought -- knowledge which ultimately could lead to new, more effective hair-loss treatments for humans.
"Our findings indicate that an estrogen receptor pathway in specific cells of the mice's hair follicles somehow acts as a switch, essentially turning on and off hair growth," says Dr. Robert C. Smart, associate professor of molecular and cellular toxicology. "It's a novel finding, because a great deal of past research (on hair loss) has focused on androgens, but not estrogens."
Smart and Hye-Sun Oh, a doctoral candidate in toxicology at NC State, made the discoveries during a three-year study that began as an investigation of the carcinogenic effects of a pesticide on mice, and of estrogen's role in the process. After links between estrogens, estrogen-receptor inhibitors and hair growth became evident, they shifted their focus to that.
Their findings will be published in the Oct. 29 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA.
In the study, small doses of an estrogen receptor antagonist (a substance that blocks the protein interaction necessary for estrogen activity in a cell) called ICI 182,780 were applied to the skin of shaved mice twice weekly, Smart says. Tissue studies of treated hair follicles showed that hair follicle growth began within a week of the first application. "By two weeks, the visible hair growth on treated mice was about the same as on mice who had never been shaved, while mice that were not treated with ICI 182,780 grew no hair, " he says.
A patent for the use of estrogen blockers for treating hair loss and promoting hair growth has been applied for by NC State.
Smart and Oh also found that twice-weekly topical treatments of a biologically active estrogen called 17-beta-estradiol had the reverse effect -- they locked the mice's hair follicles into a resting phase and prevented hair growth for as long as treatments were continued.
No adverse side effects were observed, and the results were the same on both male and female mice, and on mice of various ages.
Whether the treatments will have similar results on humans is not yet known. Smart and Oh are now working with a dermapathologist at Wake Forest University's Bowman-Gray School of Medicine to determine if the estrogen receptor that regulates hair growth in mice also is present in man. "If it is there, then it's a good bet these treatments will have the same effect," Smart says.
If found to be safe and effective on humans, the treatments could be used for hair loss caused by chemotherapy, male pattern baldness or gradual thinning, as well as for treating hirsutism, the excessive growth of unwanted hair. Smart estimates it could take five years or more before the testing is completed and the treatments are available commercially.
A more immediate benefit, he says, is the new light the research sheds on estrogens' role in regulating the hair-growth cycle. "Hair follicles are complex, self-renewing structures composed of different types of cells. Dermal papilla cells at the base of the hair follicle have long been known to regulate the transition between the growth and resting phases of the hair- follicle cycle, but no one was exactly sure how. We didn't know what signals were given out by
these cells to trigger other cell types into proliferating and forming an active follicle. Essentially, it was a black box," he says.
Smart's research team, which includes both graduate and undergraduate students, answered part of this question by demonstrating that it is an estrogen receptor pathway, located in the nucleus of the dermal papilla cell, that regulates the growth cycle. Now, Smart says, scientists can proceed to the next level of investigation: "What are the genes involved?"
His team's findings about how estrogen regulates the follicular stem cells responsible for hair growth may also open new avenues of investigation in cancer research, Smart believes.
"Follicular stem cells may represent the precursor cells for certain skin cancers. If we can understand the nature of the signals that stimulate or inhibit their growth, we may then be able to block or interrupt the signals in abnormal cell growth," he says.
Smart and Oh's research was funded by the National Cancer Institute and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. The estrogen inhibitor ICI 182,780 is produced by Zeneca *, which provided it to the NC State researchers for the study.
-- lucas --
NOTE TO EDITORS: An abstract of Smart and Oh's paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences follows on the next page. For a copy of their paper, contact Smart at (919) 515-7245 or Tim Lucas, at NC State University News Services, at (919) 515-3470.
"An Estrogen Receptor Pathway Regulates the Telogen-Anagen Hair Follicle Transition and Influences Epidermal Cell Proliferation"
by Hye-Sun Oh and Robert C. Smart,
North Carolina State University Department of Toxicology
Published Oct. 29, 1996, in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA,

s.a.f

Reaction score
Brian knows his sh*t, I'd listen to him over some m.p.b theorists.

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
MisterE - what a load of cack bullshit.

Whilst that advice is basically live a healthy life and have a healthy diet, your claims that is 'reverses' hairloss is complete bullshit.

Are there any recorded stories or even legends of people having their hair grow back?

Why is it that out of 100 people eating similar western diets, 50 will go bald for example and the other 50 wont?

Why is it that some very healthy people still go bald?

Whilst it can delay baldness, perhaps to an extent stop baldness if you are very lucky, reversing it though? thats cack.

You are implying that baldness is not natural. male pattern baldness happens when it happens there isnt much you can do about it.

cuebald

Reaction score
I never understand these mice studies,
they say they shave the mice, apply some potion to their skin, then wait and see hair grow.
Because they've only shaved these mice wouldn't hair grow anyway? if I shave my hair regrows in.

Do they deactivate or destroy follicles on these mice after they shave them?

Nicky

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Nicky said:
amsch said:
Is there a topical estrogene product out there without systemic absorption?

Estrocare phytoestrogen cream

Check out this link:

http://www.womenlivingnaturally.com/product.php?id=72

What ON EARTH makes you think that product doesn't have systemic absorption?? :woot: :dunno:

That product is specifically intended FOR systemic absorption!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

wtF...?
I asume this is for your head,

Topical phytoestrogen cream is not absorbed systemically. I believe the reason is that it's metabolized almost completely in the skin and/or surrounding tissues.

So unless you're using an extremely potent carrier (which would likely be counterproductive unless it was somehow targeted to the follicle), there's almost no chance of systemic absorption.

That said..