Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say they stopped at 1600 holes because it wasn't practical to keep trying to add more.

Try drawing 1600 little dots on a square centimeter of paper. You realize that's A TON of holes in a tiny space. It's effectively carpet-bombing the area. And pushing needles into skin is not as precise as making dots on paper with an inkpen. The skin is softer. After a certain point the needles will just be landing back into previous holes.

That tipping point will be different for different individuals but you get the idea. To do clinical trials they had to decide on a specific number and stick with it.

For our experimenting purposes, I really doubt it would cause any harm to overshoot past 1600. Dermabrasion does more damage than any amount of poking holes, and even that is not harmful with adequate recovery time afterwards. Just use common sense.

Last edited:

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. The quorum sensing study shows that if you pluck every hair then nothing grows back. Also, if you create the effect of one large wound you will get scarring with only hair in the center of the wound. That is unless you use an shh agonist. If you look at the Follica studies they show demabrasion doesn't work nearly as well as microneedling.

That said, you're more likely to underwound than to overwound.
Can you even get scarring from needling at depths 2.0 mm and under? I think I read that in another thread, but I may be wrong. I needle pretty thoroughly at 1.75mm weekly, and hope I haven't screwed myself.

Nikola237

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where should I buy Dr Pen? It is dirt cheap on eBay, so it is obviously fake. Then, Amazon is cheaper than drpen.com webshop? And there is some drpen.co website, looks like a scam too?

Losingitsince14

My Regimen
Reaction score
been using finasteride by 5 and a half years, romaine for 6 years before I added needling weekly at 1.5mm with Dr. Pen 6 months ago. Has done nothing lol, but romaine never worked for me anyway. Starting to think about a hair transplant as I approach 24 and have maintained for almost 7 years now

Tamiko

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using a combo of finasteride and minoxidil thats been working pretty well.

Got it from this site that prescribes solutions by doing an online questionnaire and visit: MensBaldingSolutions.com

newdutuser10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1-s2.0-S2352647520301672-gr1_lrg.jpg

newdutuser10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Patients underwent 6 treatments, over the course of 3 months

The device was passed over the treatment area twice at each session, extending outward from the central part in the direction of hair strands to avoid tangling.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, the Follica protocol: every two weeks.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Two things that bother me:
- No control group in the study, so there's no way to see whether all the heavy lifting was done by minoxidil (nonetheless, the study's results are quite impressive - improvement by one integer in just four months on the scale is pretty good)
- The fact I still don't manage to get any results microneedling. I am much less strict about my regimen that I used to be in the first 9 months, but I still needle occasionally, imitating the Follica protocol as closely as possible. All this time, no positive changes.

I am wondering if maybe the parameters in the Follica patent for the "one specific embodiment" they always quote are, actually, a ruse. The patent covers a lot of parameter configurations. While it often singles out one specific set of parameters (see my thread on the patent), maybe a different set is actually the real deal?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The women were on treatment previously for at least six months. If they were on treatment for exactly six months then the improvement could be a result of minoxidil alone. If they were on minoxidil for 12 months already before starting treatment then their gains would already be maxed out, and any further improvement could be assumed to be from microneedling.

It won't be long before we get the phase 3 results, we should know more then. I don't think it's a ruse, the patent is written to protect their method, not to hide it. Some people just aren't going to respond. Maybe your levels of sulfotransferase are too low, or maybe your hair loss is too aggressive.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Phase 3 is supposed to start in 2021. That would mean that starting in December 2021 would still be on schedule. Average duration for phase 3 trials is IIRC 24 months. Then results need to be evaluated and analyzed to prepare the FDA application; these data would then be published as well, probably. That's still almost 3 years from now, assuming a start in the second half of 2021 and average phase 3 trial duration.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Phase 3 is supposed to start in 2021. That would mean that starting in December 2021 would still be on schedule. Average duration for phase 3 trials is IIRC 24 months. Then results need to be evaluated and analyzed to prepare the FDA application; these data would then be published as well, probably. That's still almost 3 years from now, assuming a start in the second half of 2021 and average phase 3 trial duration.

Phase 3 should be starting any moment. They aren't using a new drug so I suspect it will only be 12 months, but we'll know soon enough. We'll probably find out more when they begin too, so that could be any day now. I think we'll get topline data in early 2022, and we may even find out more about the protocol when they begin the trial. Let's have some optimism on here for once, Follica is moving along quickly unlike other companies.

Nikola237

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I can literally see that with bare eyes. Dr Pen price from eBay is more than twice cheaper than from the official website, something has to be wrong. I'll order new one I guess.

Nikola237

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was talking about device price, $74 vs $156.
Cartridge price on eBay is $18 for 10 pcs ($55 on drpen.com)