Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Bitless

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can anybody summarise what Chen's method is?

Length of needles. Roller Vs pen. Frequency. Proximity to minoxidil application. Intention (whether to wound or just make red).

Sorry, I read through about 30 pages after Google searching for Chen's name (absorbing an unhealthy amount of transphobia in the process - btw, thanks for kicking down on us, guys) and didn't see much beyond "it's like Somebody's mehodm but not exactly" and "high frequency".

Thanks in advance if anybody summarises.

Obviously it'll help other newcomers / lurkers too.

I wonder how many people end up here in passing and never see the regimens before moving on...

Surely there needs to be a master thread of regimens, each in their own post on page one and edit-updated as new data / results come in?

(Maybe there is such a thread and I just don't know about it.)
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/microneedling-photo-results-summary.121072/

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can anybody summarise what Chen's method is?

Sorry, I read through about 30 pages after Google searching for Chen's name (absorbing an unhealthy amount of transphobia in the process - btw, thanks for kicking down on us, guys)

I find this + any other microneedling related threads to be really useful and informative/inspirational but pretty much every other thread on here seems to be full to the brim with incel edgelords / 4chan kids

Reaction score
I am going to use Chen's daily regimen of needling on my right temple for at least the next six months before I decide whether or not to use the same frequency for the rest of my scalp. I have been needling with a derminator since November at a depth of 2mm every two weeks without success. I check the same areas on my scalp with a digital microscope every month and sadly I've only continued to diffuse. I've been stalking this forum since 2003 and have been on and off Finasteride and other treatments since then. I was nearly cured in early 2018 thanks to RU58841 but adding oral minoxidil to my regimen resulted in a massive loss of nearly half of my hair on the sides and top of my head from which I never recovered.

Current regimen - ru58841 5% 2x daily
Minoxidil 5% 2x daily
Derminator 2mm 1x every 14 days
Finasteride 1mg EOD

Attachments

• 20190329_132050.jpg
    20190329_132050.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 768

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Feels like I've been shedding a bit more the last few weeks. It's not thin / weak hair, but mostly thick long hair. Been changing the needling depth from 1.5 mm to 2.0 mm since 2 months ago, but I'm not sure if it has to do with that or if it's a seasonal shedding thing? Not sure.

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So far I feel like this is a bust for me. Haven't really seen anything noticeable other than some faint hairs in the temple point area. I've only done 9 sessions as of today since january, though, so I'll stick with it

Ludachris Batbak

My Regimen
Reaction score
Feels like I've been shedding a bit more the last few weeks. It's not thin / weak hair, but mostly thick long hair. Been changing the needling depth from 1.5 mm to 2.0 mm since 2 months ago, but I'm not sure if it has to do with that or if it's a seasonal shedding thing? Not sure.

I could say something similar. Since January, I have the feeling that my hair has not changed. Some days I lose no hair. On other days I have about 30 hairs in the washbasin after I go through my hair. But when I look under the light at my hairline I discover a lot of long Vellus hair and feel it with my hands. I believe that the initial quick results are a result from the hair getting thicker, after that you have a sheeding phase and need to be
patiently. Time will fix it.

In addition, I lose many hairs because I always scratch the flakes from my head and then always hang a lot of hair on it. I hope I can stop it one day but it is addictive: D

In addition, I have now started a 5 minute massage before minoxidil use. I hope that the scalp cleans faster and the flakes gone faster and it strengthens the minoxidil in the effect.

so that was my update

Last edited:

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going to use Chen's daily regimen of needling on my right temple for at least the next six months before I decide whether or not to use the same frequency for the rest of my scalp. I have been needling with a derminator since November at a depth of 2mm every two weeks without success. I check the same areas on my scalp with a digital microscope every month and sadly I've only continued to diffuse. I've been stalking this forum since 2003 and have been on and off Finasteride and other treatments since then. I was nearly cured in early 2018 thanks to RU58841 but adding oral minoxidil to my regimen resulted in a massive loss of nearly half of my hair on the sides and top of my head from which I never recovered.

Minoxidil 5% 2x daily
Finasteride 1mg EOD

That's an impressive amount of hair for someone who's been here since 2003

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to say it again for those not getting results:

YOU NEED TO ROLL HARDER / WOUND! TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO IS GETTING DRAMATIC RESULTS!

For those thinking about quitting: Try what i just stated for 3 months and then report back.

To answer the inevitable question that's bound to pop up "BUT NUMBERS GUY AND THE STUDY AND OTHERS DIDN'T AND THEY GOT RESULTS SO WHY DO I HAVE TO AND REEEEEEE"

Who knows. Perhaps they have softer skin and they are actually wounding with less effort? Point to one user who has drawn blood and went hard and hasn't gotten results. I'll wait. The same can't be said vice versa. If you aren't wounding, unless you have some very soft skin texture, you are more than likely just giving your head a massage with a dermapen/roller and are wasting your time.

If you aren't getting results and you aren't rolling hard, you must roll harder. Science proves hair grows on wounds. Dr. Ray Peate also discusses wounding and hair regeneration. Follica or whatever is literally designing a system around wounding with 5MM NEEDLES.

How bad do you want your hair back?

Last edited:

tressful11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

YOU NEED TO ROLL HARDER / WOUND! TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO IS GETTING DRAMATIC RESULTS!

Or if they don't want to roll hard they can try daily mild rolling with 1mm roller. Chen's regimen basically. I am noticing improvement on it.
I guess in some cases the fibrosis is so high that weekly rolling doesn't cut it. So you either need to roll really hard or you need to mild roll daily.

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How badly do you need to wound! Just redness? Or with some blood spots?

You need to draw blood spots. As long as you properly santize (you can literally walk to the store and get what you need for cheap) you won't have any issues.

Gooner184

My Regimen
Reaction score

For those thinking about quitting: Try what i just stated for 3 months and then report back.

To answer the inevitable question that's bound to pop up "BUT NUMBERS GUY AND THE STUDY AND OTHERS DIDN'T AND THEY GOT RESULTS SO WHY DO I HAVE TO AND REEEEEEE"

Who knows. Perhaps they have softer skin and they are actually wounding with less effort? Point to one user who has drawn blood and went hard and hasn't gotten results. I'll wait. The same can't be said vice versa. If you aren't wounding, unless you have some very soft skin texture, you are more than likely just giving your head a massage with a dermapen/roller and are wasting your time.

If you aren't getting results and you aren't rolling hard, you must roll harder. Science proves hair grows on wounds. Dr. Ray Peate also discusses wounding and hair regeneration. Follica or whatever is literally designing a system around wounding with 5MM NEEDLES.

How bad do you want your hair back?

Do you think 2mm on dermapen on fastest setting can be done every 7 days? When my dermapen arrives that's what I'm planning, drawing blood each time. I genuinely don't care how much it hurts if it brings my hair back. No pain no gain

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think 2mm on dermapen on fastest setting can be done every 7 days? When my dermapen arrives that's what I'm planning, drawing blood each time. I genuinely don't care how much it hurts if it brings my hair back. No pain no gain

You're actually going to see results because you have the right mindset. Congratulations. Now just put everything into action and don't be complacent. When you start seeing results, don't coast. Turn up the intensity and passion.

I think you should gauge how your scalp feels and how you recover. If it's still tender by the next session, there is nothing wrong with waiting until the next week to wound heavy again. You can still needle, just go lighter.

The point is, whether it's weekly or bi weekly, heavy wounding has to be part of the regimen.

I also have no idea how the pens work. I use a dermaroller

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

I have a dr.pen ultima a6, i use it at 2.5mm fastest speed setting and my scalp is fully healed by day 7 for another session. Nothing wrong 10-14 days if yours isn't though.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
[...]
Point to one user who has drawn blood and went hard and hasn't gotten results.
I wish it worked that easy, I really do.

I am rolling since Oct 22 2018 and still haven't gotten results. Started with 1.5mm, quickly worked up to 1.75mm, and now I am at 2.00 mm since beginning of February. Needled weekly (with the THBP electric pen or whatever it's called) till beginning of February 2019, now needling every two weeks. I apply minoxidil 5% once a day.

Zero regrowth so far, neither vellus nor terminal. Needled areas are always full of blood after a session (though the last month less so, don't know why, as needle length is still at 2.0 mm)

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish it worked that easy, I really do.

I am rolling since Oct 22 2018 and still haven't gotten results. Started with 1.5mm, quickly worked up to 1.75mm, and now I am at 2.00 mm since beginning of February. Needled weekly (with the THBP electric pen or whatever it's called) till beginning of February 2019, now needling every two weeks. I apply minoxidil 5% once a day.

Zero regrowth so far, neither vellus nor terminal. Needled areas are always full of blood after a session (though the last month less so, don't know why, as needle length is still at 2.0 mm)
Photos or it didn’t happen ;)

And how can you really tell. I hope for all our slow responders that one year or more does the trick!!!

Makaveli1988

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Minoxidil 5% 2x daily
Finasteride 1mg EOD
Any sides from ru?

Ronen

My Regimen
Reaction score
No sides. Buying RU is a pain in the *** and mixing 5 day batches is annoying too. That being said, 15 years of Finasteride use slowed down my already slow diffuse thinning but the addition of RU was the first time I ever saw actual regrowth.
I was going to order ru anyway but you added to my certainty :)
Also why do you need to mix?
I saw at Anagenic several month-stable RU solutions k&b or pg