Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, i'm 90% sure i had a slight improvement.
My hair looks darker, healthier and a tiny bit thicker.
Yesterday i happened to look at myself in a electronics store mirror, and i couldn't believe how much darker my hair looked in such harsh lights.
Hell i almost could not tell that i'm balding.

Granted, my hair is now very long, so it looks darker, but still...
I will cut my hair next week probably, so i will be able to snap some more pics.
Sorry if it’s already been asked, but what’s your regimen? Are you on min?

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
holy sh*t..........

i have a new hair growth wave 3-4 months into my current regimen

I can feel with my fingers hundreds/thousands of new terminal hairs growing all over my crown area..... WTF..... and i have no shed

i will do an update with pictures in 30 days (for more obvious gains in pictures)
(update will be on april 25th-30th)

regimen : microneedling 1.5mm every 2-4 weeks and doing scalp massages ( no minoxidil ),
i might add a quality hairloss shampoo or something very soon.
Congrats man. What is your massage routine? How many times a day? And do you do it manually?

tressful11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

bluesuedeshoes

Established Member
Reaction score
Add scalp massages to your regimen if you haven't already. I dermarolled for around 7 to 8 months with no results. Now I am following chen's regimen and do scalp massages daily. My hair has improved.
https://www.amazon.in/Robotouch-Smart-Scalp-Relief-Massager/dp/B07G9JGMJ4/

Just bought this. It's pretty good but I wish it was more powerful. Be great if they released one that runs off AC power and goes to town on the fibrosis. Using it has made me realise how inflamed and sore my scalp is. Hopefully this calms it down a bit (though a touch concerned that pressing hard against these sore areas will encourage more loss).

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I just saw in the RepliCell thread someone posting a screenshot with a schedule from this hair congress thing, and one of the talks was about microneedling, so hopefully they'll have some scientifically rigorous data to present that might give us all a better idea of optimal frequency + regimen details. I'm not sure if they release the content of the talk to the public though or how it works? I know people in that thread were talking about sending to someone to it, is that the only way to really have an idea of what the talks are?

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys actually change the needle cartridges with every session ? They are rather expensive and I would like to know if they can be used on an extended time period without changing them. Thanks !

INT

Reaction score
Do you guys actually change the needle cartridges with every session ? They are rather expensive and I would like to know if they can be used on an extended time period without changing them. Thanks !

I don't. Have used it 4-5 times in the last 3 months. I just let then needles sit in some ethanol and clean it with a little brush.

ghosthairkillah

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
D585A122-F116-44E0-B41F-B7079583772A.png 7E3DC737-DC19-4ECF-8D37-952149C1E5DA.png

Left: March 14
Right: Now

What do you think?

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its so cool to see microneedling and minoxidil working for so many people. More and more pics showing regrowth at every stages.

Pretty interested to know what people like @That Guy think about this increase in success cases.

Last edited:

Yepesyellow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its so cool to see microneedling and minoxidil working for so many people. More and more pics showing regrowth at very stages.

Pretty interested to know what people like @That Guy think about this increase in success cases.

It’s difficult to deny that microneedling does something, personally I’m very interested. I think what people with negative views question is whether 1) cosmetically significant results, like the results of the poster that inspired the thread, are common 2) maintenance beyond the minoxidil average of 1-2 years is common, 3) the extent to which micro needling not minoxidil is doing the heavy work. I think these are a fair questions and although I think this thread and the related thread are the most exciting thing going on here at the moment, the most compelling evidence remains the actual scientific studies. I’d love to see larger scientific studies looking at microneedlinh.

Trinky

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s difficult to deny that microneedling does something, personally I’m very interested. I think what people with negative views question is whether 1) cosmetically significant results, like the results of the poster that inspired the thread, are common 2) maintenance beyond the minoxidil average of 1-2 years is common, 3) the extent to which micro needling not minoxidil is doing the heavy work. I think these are a fair questions and although I think this thread and the related thread are the most exciting thing going on here at the moment, the most compelling evidence remains the actual scientific studies. I’d love to see larger scientific studies looking at microneedlinh.

Totally agree. We have seen some examples of great results, but it still to be seen if these are exceptions or common results. According to the chinese study everybody had success, but I am still unsure if this is really the case. I started one and half month ago only, but so far zero results. I know way too early, I am planning to stay in for at least one year, more probably two.

I also have the impression that it takes longer to recover for hair lost long time before, while people showing very early results seems younger and lower norwoods. Just speculation, its needed more investigation.

And yes, a new scientific study over a large sample of people would be great. Also for understanding the which extent microneedling itself works OR increased minoxidil absorbsion instead.

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think one issue is also a lack of standardization re: frequency, depth, type of needling (e.g. roller vs pen vs derminator) etc etc. Could very well be that it just doesn't do anything unless it's within a certain frequency+depth range.

Also it seems like a lot of the best respondents are people who started balding very early (<20) and started doing this almost immediately, meaning might not work well if you've been balding for a long time.

Last edited:

Trinky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think one issue is also a lack of standardization re: frequency, depth, type of needling (e.g. roller vs pen vs derminator) etc etc. Could very well be that it just doesn't do anything unless it's within a certain frequency+depth range.

My understanding is that microneedling every 10/14 days is done for wounding: creating blood spots all over the scalp. Every person has a different sensitivity and feel more or less pain. So for somebody is better 1.5, for other 2. I personally do it at 1.5 on the frontline and 2 elsewhere. The goal is wounding. Speed also is only a variable in order to achieve wounding. Once wounding/blood spots are achieved, I guess it doesnt matter the exact depth and speed. Only my two cents, far from scientific, only speculation based on what read here so far.

Soft/daily dermarolling (Chen style) is done to achieve redness without wounding: it looks like 0.5/1 is the range here.

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, the Chen case also throws a wrench into any attempts to be 'scientific' about it since he was one of the best responders (if not THE best) and did the polar opposite of what seems to be the consensus of high depth+low frequency.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Very interesting post. About point 1 and 2 I think we have good anecdotal evidence pointing to effectiveness and long term mantainance. But it could be possible that some form of antiandrogenic protection may be needed at some point though. Cells migrating to the wound site come from dht sensitive follicles.

About minoxidil doing the heavy lifting, mmm... it all depends the depth and frequency of wounding. The chinese study had a microneedling arm only with an increase of 23 hair per cm2 and follica's abrasion only results were similar (25).

For those using 0.5 mm - 1 mm dermarollers, yes of course but for longer needles the wound healing response plays a very important role.

Someone posted a study about minoxidil impact on wnt beta catenin pathway, which is critical for hair regrowth. If this signaling pathway is overexpressed on superficial skin wounds, the regrowth chance increases.

So it seems to be more a synergistic thing rather than better absorption of the drug.

I agree we need more research but remember big pharma companies arent interested on this because there isnt much money to be made.

Last edited:
M

Member 139756

Can anybody summarise what Chen's method is?

Length of needles. Roller Vs pen. Frequency. Proximity to minoxidil application. Intention (whether to wound or just make red).

Sorry, I read through about 30 pages after Google searching for Chen's name (absorbing an unhealthy amount of transphobia in the process - btw, thanks for kicking down on us, guys) and didn't see much beyond "it's like Somebody's mehodm but not exactly" and "high frequency".

Thanks in advance if anybody summarises.

Obviously it'll help other newcomers / lurkers too.

I wonder how many people end up here in passing and never see the regimens before moving on...

Surely there needs to be a master thread of regimens, each in their own post on page one and edit-updated as new data / results come in?

(Maybe there is such a thread and I just don't know about it.)