Update: Follica's Presentation At The 2017 Aad Meeting

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But isn't the extent of the wound correlated to the amount of growth factors? If I scratch my skin, growth factors will occur. If I cut the skin, more growth factors will occur since the damage to the skin is greater. If I cut the skin deep enough, scarring occurs. So if you wound deep enough but not too deep, wouldn't you maximize the level of growth factors? I'm not sure because I have no biology training. But I can't help but wonder if microneedling at 1.5 mm yields limited results because it's not deep enough to trigger the best response.

Sure, but below a certain depth and you will get scar tissue (fibrosis) and not normal skin, hair does not grow in scar tissue.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To talk about Follica is to explain, and re-explain, and re-explain, that they aren't going to be scalping people. That idea will continue to dominate the topic until this thing is released. There is no keeping it down.

Baldybald1

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys the secret revealed :)
It's going to be dermapen with minoxidil ( as swoop said ). The chemical application will be minoxidil 15% once a week in office and minoxidil 5% at home two times a day.

KJ1982

Reaction score
Guys the secret revealed :)
It's going to be dermapen with minoxidil ( as swoop said ). The chemical application will be minoxidil 15% once a week in office and minoxidil 5% at home two times a day.

Where did you hear this, Baldybald1? :)

Trouse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're right that is a pretty terrible business model. Who the hell has time to carve out a doctors appointment every week?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no way people are going to go into the office once a week, unless the results are quick and spectacular.

Baldybald1

Established Member
Reaction score
Look at this clinic. It is one and only clinic is preforming cots technique and they recently announced it. No it's not a scam it's real and their technique makes a lot of sense. There is no picture of their results still because they just published the service. Please take a look at the website below.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
this is old and has nothing to do with follica. cant afford to put minoxidil in morning on my head, would make my hair look shitty. if that would be cots holy grail after 20 years of research, should you laugh or cry? furthermore minoxidil gives you 1-3 years at maximum good results.

You have me stumped. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. If this turns out to be his treatment I would definitely be shaking my head.

Trouse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That website is so low budget and scammy. The results look too good to be true for 12 weeks and the graph they have on there doesn't even make any sense.

And I agree with @Bad_Wolve. Twice per day application of minoxidil in 4 hour intervals is virtually un-doable for any 9-5er. You can't wear minoxidil during the day unless you can wear a hat to work. And say you work till exactly 5, throw some rogaine in, wait even just 3 hours. Now it's 8 and you need to apply again and wash it out right before bed if you even stay up that late. All while having your hair look like a greasy rats nest when you're trying to eat dinner with your family or do anything social at all.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And I agree with @Bad_Wolve. Twice per day application of minoxidil in 4 hour intervals is virtually un-doable for any 9-5er. You can't wear minoxidil during the day unless you can wear a hat to work. And say you work till exactly 5, throw some rogaine in, wait even just 3 hours. Now it's 8 and you need to apply again and wash it out right before bed if you even stay up that late. All while having your hair look like a greasy rats nest when you're trying to eat dinner with your family or do anything social at all.

What you comparing it to? Even the "disappointing" data on Follica's treatment suggests it could give the results of a moderate transplant session.

A shaved-down FUE transplant leaves you looking embarrassing & fugly for months afterward. You wait for the redness to fade, the shockloss recovers, and eventually some new hairs grow. You aren't looking much better for most of a year.

I agree that Follica probably won't sell a treatment that is such a PITA if they can possibly help it. But in theory if that's what it takes then we are in no position to be picky.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look at this clinic. It is one and only clinic is preforming cots technique and they recently announced it. No it's not a scam it's real and their technique makes a lot of sense. There is no picture of their results still because they just published the service. Please take a look at the website below.

Did they put up this recently? Do you know this for sure baldybald?

Anyway even if it wasn't follica their method they believe it falls under their IP lol.

Trouse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What you comparing it to? Even the "disappointing" data on Follica's treatment suggests it could give the results of a moderate transplant session.

A shaved-down FUE transplant leaves you looking embarrassing & fugly for months afterward. You wait for the redness to fade, the shockloss recovers, and eventually some new hairs grow. You aren't looking much better for most of a year.

I agree that Follica probably won't sell a treatment that is such a PITA if they can possibly help it. But in theory if that's what it takes then we are in no position to be picky.

Fair enough, but at least you deal with those side effects up front and then are done with it. I guess it's just a pity that they haven't managed how to tweak minoxidil's formula allowing for once daily application. If I can get my hair back with Follica, will I be willing to walk around all night like my head is doused in bacon grease? Sure, but that doesn't make it practical, it just means I'm desperate AF.

br1

Reaction score
The Foam version is not grease at all. I tried the liquid, my god..

Back to the foam, after just 1 application of the liquid.

Toccata

Banned
Reaction score
it's just a pity that they haven't managed how to tweak minoxidil's formula allowing for once daily application.

Oh, but they have! Trentinoin increases minoxidil's absorption which in combination once daily produces an
equivalent efficacy rate to standard minoxidil twice daily. What is noteworthy about that finding is one of the authors of the study, Ohsang Kwon, has worked with Cotsarelis in the lab.
The chemical application will be minoxidil 15% once a week in office and minoxidil 5% at home two times a day.

Follica describes their at-home treatment system as a "range of compounds". Either that range is combined
into one applied twice daily (morning sun-orange, evening moon-blue) or there are two separate formulas:
Follica.jpg

or as the dispenser mock-up suggests, multiple nozzles:
Follica2.jpg

'hard to believe in though, Dr. Cots.
Screen_Shot_2017_03_23_at_8_57_08_AM.png

hard. to. be. lieve. in.