Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Hey Casperz, how soon did you notice shedding? I've only been on this for about 4 or 5 days and i'm shedding like crazy. I feel like a couple more months of this type of shedding and i'll be bald! Can't believe how many hairs i just cleaned off the bathroom sink. And i feel like the density of the hair on my head has changed. It doesn't seem likely that using a treatment for only four days would cause that, so maybe it was supposed to happen naturally. But, damn!

I know it's a small consolation, but those hairs that have shed were going to bail on you anyways -- and probably within the next couple of months or so....I believe I have shedded quite a bit as well, but like I said, those little bastard's were going to leap shortly anyways...nothing to lose, going to keep applying and see where the shed ends...it will be telling just how far my baldness has gotten this far

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Sounds like the right stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Casperz, how soon did you notice shedding? I've only been on this for about 4 or 5 days and i'm shedding like crazy. I feel like a couple more months of this type of shedding and i'll be bald! Can't believe how many hairs i just cleaned off the bathroom sink. And i feel like the density of the hair on my head has changed. It doesn't seem likely that using a treatment for only four days would cause that, so maybe it was supposed to happen naturally. But, damn!
My shedding started very quick as well and lasted about 3 weeks... severest shed I've ever had. Not sure what that means but I'm hoping it means
I'll be seeing the severest regrowth I've ever had as well.

Does everyone agree that shedding is a good sign?

- - - Updated - - -
I know it's a small consolation, but those hairs that have shed were going to bail on you anyways -- and probably within the next couple of months or so....I believe I have shedded quite a bit as well, but like I said, those little bastard's were going to leap shortly anyways...nothing to lose, going to keep applying and see where the shed ends...it will be telling just how far my baldness has gotten this far
I believe this is the correct thinking, only compromised hairs shed and they come back stronger.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not expect to be reporting as much as I am but things are changing very quickly.

I noticed for the first time today that the vellus hairs have gotten large enough to see from the top view. Also I've got
many dark terminal hairs at the point where my hair line was when I was 18. It's possible that I've just not seen these
but I really don't think I overlooked them. I think they are just popping up faster and faster now.

These were all taken around where my 18 year old hairline would have been, you can see a few vellus hairs now and all the terminal hairs.

Attachments

• 20121029_0011.jpg
    20121029_0011.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 411
  • 20121029_0014.jpg
    20121029_0014.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 418
  • 20121029_0015.jpg
    20121029_0015.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 20121029_0036.jpg
    20121029_0036.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 435

what

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I guess I realize those traitors were going to jump ship anyway. It's just hard to see it happen so fast! Makes putting on the medication very tough. If those are hairs that will end up coming back stronger, then we should be in good shape in 6-12 months. But, it definitely takes a leap of faith...on a treatment that's never really been tested.

Thanks for all the respones - and i hope everybody gets some good growth from this!

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about the safety of this method, as it is so unexplored, and my body seems to be very sensitive to hair loss treatments. You guys are brave for being pioneers about it, and you're doing a great job raising awareness that blocking pgd2 does in fact work. I call this evidence. I am hoping that it is not too long before a company would start selling a pgd2 blocking hair loss product. I am still concerned about the safety, but I will be watching this thread attentively.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about the safety of this method, as it is so unexplored, and my body seems to be very sensitive to hair loss treatments. You guys are brave for being pioneers about it, and you're doing a great job raising awareness that blocking pgd2 does in fact work. I call this evidence. I am hoping that it is not too long before a company would start selling a pgd2 blocking hair loss product. I am still concerned about the safety, but I will be watching this thread attentively.

Since oral Zyrtec (cetrizine) is safe I suspect that topical application is as well but your point is well taken. Everyone should be cautious about this since it is unproven.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Have you guys noticed that your scalp is drier than normal?

nope...but what is reeeeally interesting is that I haven't had a Niacin flush since I've been going topical...this means CET is getting into my system...my skin has also not had any rash breakouts either...now I am just waiting for my hair to start regrowing where it's needed!

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The half life of cet is 8.5 hours (give or take) according to Wiki. Wouldn't Cet need to be applied 4 times a day? The other question I have if this is a 'cure' would this be required for life? Cet works on inflammation correct? If it fix's the inflammation for a period of time you shouldn't need to apply it everyday.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
The half life of cet is 8.5 hours (give or take) according to Wiki. Wouldn't Cet need to be applied 4 times a day? The other question I have if this is a 'cure' would this be required for life? Cet works on inflammation correct? If it fix's the inflammation for a period of time you shouldn't need to apply it everyday.

the half life of a drug doesn't indicate the length of its biological effects.
for example, oral minoxidil has a half life of 4.2 hours in the average human but its effects in the human body last last least 24 hours; so you would only need to take it once a day.

Stefan_88

Reaction score
Guys, One of my friends said to me that his results improved on his temples after using 1% Hydrocortisone cream on his temples, it might be true or is it placebo effect or something?

spiritaufe

Reaction score
For about one month I've been trying Zyrtec Oral Solution topically on frontal areas. Before 2 years of minoxidil, I was something between Norwood 5 to 6. Now that looks like Norwood 4 to 5. Zyrtec helped some intermediate hairs to grow longer on frontal areas. And I can say that there are more vellus and intermediate hair than before on the area I tried it. Before Zyrtec those intermediate hairs were falling when they got about 2~3 mm long. Some of them grew to about 1 cm now. Not great but I can say that cetrizine is working somewhat.

The problem about oral solution is that it leaves a greasy and badly smelling stain. I will go for another month with oral solution topically and see how things will go on. Meanwhile I'm still on generic minoxidil two times a day and sometimes I use Aminexil which I believe helps to make hair thicker and healtier.

nograde

Reaction score
Hi guys! Im a long time lurker here and also on the German forum alopezie.de. Im using the suggested soultion from the german forum and I'm three days in,
so nothing to report at the moment. I wanted to note that the vodka based solution I use yields a 1% ceterizine concentration. I looked up the
zyrtec solution mentioned by spiritaufe which has 0,1% concentration. So maybe you should use a more potent solution to get even more regrowth.

For about one month I've been trying Zyrtec Oral Solution topically on frontal areas. Before 2 years of minoxidil, I was something between Norwood 5 to 6. Now that looks like Norwood 4 to 5. Zyrtec helped some intermediate hairs to grow longer on frontal areas. And I can say that there are more vellus and intermediate hair than before on the area I tried it. Before Zyrtec those intermediate hairs were falling when they got about 2~3 mm long. Some of them grew to about 1 cm now. Not great but I can say that cetrizine is working somewhat.

The problem about oral solution is that it leaves a greasy and badly smelling stain. I will go for another month with oral solution topically and see how things will go on. Meanwhile I'm still on generic minoxidil two times a day and sometimes I use Aminexil which I believe helps to make hair thicker and healtier.

spiritaufe

Reaction score
It is 10mg/ml so it should be 1%.

Hi guys! Im a long time lurker here and also on the German forum alopezie.de. Im using the suggested soultion from the german forum and I'm three days in,
so nothing to report at the moment. I wanted to note that the vodka based solution I use yields a 1% ceterizine concentration. I looked up the
zyrtec solution mentioned by spiritaufe which has 0,1% concentration. So maybe you should use a more potent solution to get even more regrowth.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there nograde, by "vodka based solution" do you mean an ethanol/PG/water vehicle?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have you guys noticed that your scalp is drier than normal?

Mine has never looked healthier, it's not dry at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think for optimal results you would want to apply it every 8 hours. Not sure if that is possible for me or even more effective.
Yes, I would assume it would be something you do for life. Maybe some of the stronger PGD2 blockers will be a pill you take
each day, who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, One of my friends said to me that his results improved on his temples after using 1% Hydrocortisone cream on his temples, it might be true or is it placebo effect or something?

I think Hydrocortisone is worth trying, I was using it when I had some of my best regrowth.

- - - Updated - - -

Great news! Another person is showing results in a short time. I'm using water and cetirizine only and it does not smell or stain. Are you using the actual Zyrtec liquid?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey great! Tell those German guys thanks from all of us, I really think they are on to something! Keep us updated on your results, the more data we can
collect the closer we can get to an optimal solution.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Hydrocortisone is out of the question for diffuse thinners....and at the temples, unless it regrows full-on hairs of old, I don't see the point of using it...

Reaction score
I read somewhere that extended use of hydrocortisone thins the skin which would not be good for male pattern baldness sufferers.