Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

yasser

Reaction score
just tell me simply how i can make this solution plz i have read alot but cant understand !!!!

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
^ same here, I'm absolutely clueless about making basic vehicles and there is little data anywhere, the people I've asked have been kind enough to provide information but assumed too much prior knowledge! Some of us haven't used experimentals before. ;)

In the meantime, I've been using cet just with distilled de-ionised water, with the tablet 'filler' filtered out by hand, in a spray bottle, twice a day. My main concern at this point is that the water will just sit on my hair (thin as it is) and evaporate rather than allowing the cet to get to the scalp properly.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^ same here, I'm absolutely clueless about making basic vehicles and there is little data anywhere, the people I've asked have been kind enough to provide information but assumed too much prior knowledge! Some of us haven't used experimentals before. ;)

In the meantime, I've been using cet just with distilled de-ionised water, with the tablet 'filler' filtered out by hand, in a spray bottle, twice a day. My main concern at this point is that the water will just sit on my hair (thin as it is) and evaporate rather than allowing the cet to get to the scalp properly.

I crushed 60 10mg Zyrtex (generic) pills, added them to an empty minoxidil bottle, filled the bottle with tap water. Shook it up good and let
it stand overnight. I draw off the top of the bottle with the minoxidil dropper leaving all the fillers in the bottom. Seems to be working but
the use of PG, etc might allow for better absorption. Others have point out that distilled water would be a better choice over tap water.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you use it? Everyday? EOD?

Once a day at night, about a pea size amount.

- - - Updated - - -

I found this on hydrocortisone: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=61871

And this by Dr Lee:
"Although male pattern baldness has elements of an auto immune disorder, corticosteroids would have to be administered in dangerously high doses to have any beneficial effect. Cortisone is used to treat alopecia areata by injecting cortisone directly into the scalp of the bald areas. Cortisone is not a viable medication for treating male pattern baldness. It would be unwise to use hydrocortisone or other corticosteroids in concentrations sufficient to reverse hair loss.

Richard Lee, M.D."

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Once a day at night, about a pea size amount.

But you're just applying to your frontal temples, right?? Hell, I am putting about 1.5mL each night, if not more...across my whole scalp...screw it, I'm gonna nuke that crap PGD2!

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But you're just applying to your frontal temples, right?? Hell, I am putting about 1.5mL each night, if not more...across my whole scalp...screw it, I'm gonna nuke that crap PGD2!

That was hydrocortisone I was taking about in that reply. I'm not using hydrocortisone currently but when I did I used it on the entire scalp.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
..ok...CET must really be getting into my skin...I have taken 250mg of Niacin, twice a day now for the last few days, and I haven't had a niacin flush,....500mg of Niacin is a LOT...it used to fry me....

...I really doubt that you need to use alcohol to get better absorption...I have been using the derma-roller so that is most likely helping me get better absorption..

..as far as my hair goes....I am not sure what is going on...I was freaking out going for a hair-cut yesterday because each cut these days just shows more thinning...but it wasn't as bad this time...subjectively, I think my loss is slowly down, and my hair is getting darker...I was losing on the vertex with a bullet, but this hair-cut it appeared as I stood some ground...

...also, I am taking 4 caps of prostizone/day..that's about 25mg Equol each day..and I have been taking Equol pretty steadily for the past 2.5 months

..I think all of this is starting to kick in...

kamikaze2803

Reaction score
So i stopped by walgreens after work, I picked up 60 tabs of citirizine, i got home smashed it all up and put it in an old minoxidil bottle, and i mixed in 50 ml of sterile water. Is the mixture ready? Do i have to let it sit for a certain amount of time before my first application? I'm excited but also scared of trying this, well actually just scared of the shed that might happen? any input would be greatly appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

so i went ahead and applied my first application, does anybody know how long i have to keep this on my hair before i can wash it out?

what

Established Member
Reaction score
Today is the one week mark for me using Cetirizine, minoxidil and dermaroller. Still shedding and haven't really noticed to much going on in the recessed areas. Will try to limit my observation periods to once a week as any change would be more obvious then if i look everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

So i stopped by walgreens after work, I picked up 60 tabs of citirizine, i got home smashed it all up and put it in an old minoxidil bottle, and i mixed in 50 ml of sterile water. Is the mixture ready? Do i have to let it sit for a certain amount of time before my first application? I'm excited but also scared of trying this, well actually just scared of the shed that might happen? any input would be greatly appreciated

- - - Updated - -

so i went ahead and applied my first application, does anybody know how long i have to keep this on my hair before i can wash it out?

I put it on before i go to bed and then wash it out in the morning. I think you would want it in contact with the skin for as long a period as possible.

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
do you guys apply this before or after minoxidil? how long do you wait before applying the other?

what

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been putting on the cetirizine first and follow it with minoxidil foam. Sometimes i allow the cetirizine to completely dry. However, sometimes i just don't have time for that and i put on the cet and then the minoxidil immediately after. I half think that the vehicle for minoxidil foam will help the cetirizine get absorbed better; but, don't know for sure.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

Do expect severe shedding but it does not last long, maybe 2-3 weeks for me. I think it's commonly thought that shedding is a good thing, all the hair that sheds was going to anyway soon.

I let my mix sit for 24 hours to let all the fillers settle to the bottom, then draw off the top. The fillers are no solvable
in water the Cet is. It's ok to use right away but when it drys your hairs will be stuck together because of the
binders in the tablet. After I apply it (morning and night) I leave it on I do not wash it out.

- - - Updated - - -

do you guys apply this before or after minoxidil? how long do you wait before applying the other?

I do Cet first, wait about a minute and then do minoxidil. Since I'm using water/Cet only I think the PG in the minoxidil will help with the absorption.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Today is the one week mark for me using Cetirizine, minoxidil and dermaroller. Still shedding and haven't really noticed to much going on in the recessed areas. Will try to limit my observation periods to once a week as any change would be more obvious then if i look everyday.

Yeah...you need to just commit to it and forget about looking for results until you're like a month or two in...I believe I am just starting to see the effects of Equol after pushing 3 months here

Jaded

Reaction score
So you guys convince me to add this cetirizine that you talk abou to my regime, i went look for it on my country and look what i found:
http://www.infarmed.pt/prontuario/navegavalores.php?id=1003&edcipt=1&flag=1

apparently there is already a liquid solution, i then googled for Cetirizina Generis, and found this,

"What is the composition of Cetirizine Generis
The active ingredient of this drug is cetirizine dihydrochloride. Each ml Cetirizine
Generis oral solution containing 1 mg of cetirizine.

The other ingredients are methyl paraben (E218), propylparaben (E216), sorbitol solution
(E 420) 70% glycerol, sodium citrate, propylene glycol, monoammonium glycyrrhizinate, Singapore aromade pineapple, orange flavoring and sweet No. 1 purified water.

What aspect of Cetirizine Generis and contents of the pack
Cetirizine Generis 1 mg / ml oral solution, is presented in amber glass bottle containing 150 ml of oral solution."

Google translate, so might have errors.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yesterday i tried this for the first time, my scalp felt great - the best in months- throughout the day...
However I really doubt that CET is dissolving well, some of it yes maybe, but most of it seems not... I used both water (distilled) and alcohol (98%) and a bit of PG at the end before i apply.
I saw CET capsules that are supposed to bne"Delay release" and they seem in the form of liquid gels wouldn't that be better ?? has anyone tried this instead ?

finally, how many have reported some form of growth with this >?

crankyhair

Reaction score
Wait. There's LIQUID Zyrtec? Why is anybody messing around with crushing pills and playing home scientist when there's a liquid version of the ingredient already available? Am I missing something?

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe because no one knows if it dissolves properly? It's suppose to be taken orally after all.

what

Established Member
Reaction score
Wait. There's LIQUID Zyrtec? Why is anybody messing around with crushing pills and playing home scientist when there's a liquid version of the ingredient already available? Am I missing something?

Are you suggesting to just apply the gel directly to your head?

The gel is not formulated for topical application. So,it might work but, i would guess absorption wouldn't be as good as with a vehicle formulated for topical application. Zyrtec is very soluble is water, crushing up the pills and adding an excess of water should be more than enough to get the drug out away from the filler material. From there it's easy to make the topical with ethanol and PG.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
^ Please explain how, someone, for noobs like me who've never made an ethanol/PG vehicle before. :)

monkey4004

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster. I have found this to be the most exciting thread around. I am 24 now, and when I was in my undergraduate engineering my hair started to fall. I believe it is a mix of pressure and genetics, because I can see my brother being in better shape than I am and he is 6 years older than me. He hasn't taken the heat of engineering and all nighters, low carb diets, and general suicidal behavior that comes with being in engineering. Now that being said, I will be starting liquid Zyrtec + minoxidil 5%. I am going to start at the temples like the German dude. I am not in the mood for a lot of shedding right, also I am a little cautious after all I am putting medication on the very few valuable sailors I have left on my head. I'm a realist, and even I feel a bit excited due to the German and Casperz's results. I shall post monthly pictures (or when I see craziness) when I start, wish me luck. :)