Tinder, Bumble, And Other Dating Sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have any other tinder users here been surprised by how tinder is ranking their photos as per the "smart photos" feature?

@zircon @davesmith420

I find that it picks between like the same 2-3 pictures. Weirdly enough it picks this picture of me that I don't look as attractive as my other ones, but is very professional/artsy looking as my main one a lot.

I'm actually talking to a girl that I would legitimately take on a date but I think I'm blowing it lol

zircon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Warning: Long post incoming

I for one am incredibly frustrated with Tinder/Bumble and the like. I live in NY and have absolutely ZERO success on these apps. Bear in mind that I'm at least a 7.5 even now at age 38 after having been balding/thinning since age 16 (I'm currently somewhere between a Norwood 2.5-3.0 with diffuse thinning and a huge patch which is 75-85% bald on my vertex if I had to estimate; I use concealers to look more normal). I fairly regularly receive unsolicited compliments on my looks in real life and have good success in real life with women in terms of their responsiveness to me etc. But for whatever reason - be it the inherent social dynamic of these apps or that I look better in real life than in pics (several folks whom I've met from online have told me this) - I get no play on these apps. At all. Zero. Some bullet points:

- Started using Tinder about 1.5 years ago. Tried the typical guy strategy of "swipe right on everyone and then weed through your matches." Result: Perhaps ONE match every 4-6 weeks, if that. And the girls who I would match with were WELL below me in terms of physical attractiveness. In the 5-6.5 range. I even hid my age because I know that in itself will dissuade some girls from matching with you (I'm 38 now, but people tend to say I look like I'm 33-35; if I had more hair, they'd say 30 since my actual face/skin looks very young :p).

- Learned a couple of months ago that Tinder has some new-ish algorithm which will limit your visibility to women if it detects that you're swiping right on all profiles. Apparently the only way to reset/recalibrate this is to create a new profile, so I deleted my account, created a new one, and began only swiping right on folks I was legitimately attracted to (if I had to estimate, I'd say 85% of these girls were 7.5+, and seldom below a 7). Result: ONE match in the last 6 weeks. And it was a girl I had "super liked," so who knows how that affects profile visibility or a particular woman's response to it (e.g., some may be put off by it, some may find it flattering that you "super liked" them, making them more inclined to match back etc.). So basically still ZERO success despite changing my tactics.

- Started using Bumble 2-3 weeks ago. Only swiped right on girls I was legitimately attracted to (probably a couple hundred girls at this point). Result: ONE match, who let the time expire without messaging me.

I know the obvious conclusion to the above is "you probably don't look nearly as good as you think you do" - but that's incorrect. If I'm off in my self-estimate (I'd put myself currently around an 8), it's only by +/- .5, maybe 1.0 if you feel like docking me more for the sake of argument. But even assuming that, a 7 should get way more matches than I've gotten. It's absolutely baffling to me, and very frustrating. I do go out every weekend and have decent success (I'd have more success if I'd ever open my mouth, but that's a different matter entirely lol), and girls do approach me on their own. But at my age I'd LOVE to have another avenue to meet people without doing the whole bar/lounge/club, which is tiring (not least of all because of the amount of time I spend preparing my hair :rolleyes::p). Today, that avenue is online dating - but it's been nothing but sh*t for me.

Last year, at age 37 on a singles cruise, the three most attractive girls on the boat all approached me on their own - these girls were all 8-8.5+, from 23-27 years old, and were getting mobbed by men as you could imagine. I ended up dating all 3 for a while; they all made it very clear that they found me very physically attractive. Three other girls on that cruise (in the 6-7 range) also approached me on their own. A month prior to that, a hot 26 year old who hooked up with me the first night we met (definitely fueled by alcohol, granted) who I was dating for a while asks me on our first actual date "how are you single?" I said that I had gotten out of a long term relationship several months prior and haven't found the right girl yet, and she goes "that's crazy - you're so good looking that you can get any girl you want." I regularly got asked if I modeled between ages 16-25 before my weight gain got really out of hand and my hair loss kept increasing. And even after that (as the above stories attest to), I still got/get attention for my looks. Not as much as when I had more/all of my hair and was younger/thinner, but I do.

There are other recent stories I can tell, but I'll spare you. I don't tell you all this to brag (seriously - I'm not like that at all), but only to illustrate that my self-appraisal of my looks isn't that far off-base, if it's off-base at all. And that's why my utter lack of success on online dating is so frustrating to me: because it's not congruent people's reaction to me in my ACTUAL life. Like I said earlier, I do know that I don't photograph well and look better in person, so maybe that's the entirety of it. But even docking my pics a FULL POINT from what I believe myself to look like in real life (so from a 7.75-8.0 down to a 6.75-7.0), I should still get more than 4 matches in a year when I'm swiping literally thousands of girls (and again, those 4 matches were 5.0-6.5's for the most part). It's just bizarre to me. :(:mad:

A very attractive female friend of mine whom I hadn't seen for a couple of years invited me to her birthday party when I was 27. In that time, I had put on about 35-40 pounds (I'm 6'1" with a broad frame, so it doesn't look as bad on me as it would on many folks, but it's still 40 pounds - your appearance changes). We were talking and she goes "you look great!" I said "Really? Thanks. I've put on a lot of weight since I saw you last." And she goes "Bklyn_23, let me tell you something: I don't care if you were 300 pounds, when you walk into a room, people notice - believe me. Whatever 'it' is, you have it."

So who knows - maybe it really is just something that doesn't come across in pics. But as someone who would LOVE to forgo the bar scene at least once in a while and meet people through other avenues, my lack of success (or, more accurately, abysmal failure) with online dating apps is incredibly frustrating and perplexing.

Cheers to whoever got all the way to the end of this lol. :D PS: If anyone is wondering what I look like, I look pretty much like Ben Affleck in the below pic (in fact, all my life people have told me that I look like him). I do think that I have better features than him (hazel/blue eyes, a substantially stronger jawline/chin and higher cheekbones for instance), but there's a definitely a strong resemblance. Minus his near-perfect hair/hairline, of course, which I would die for right now lol :p:

Affleck%2B1209.jpg
That does sound odd, seeing as you are obviously somewhat good looking and based in NY, which is by all accounts a complete fish market.

I will say that on Tinder it really helps to stand out visually, which is both a function of how you look and how you present yourself (pic construction and pic selection). First thing I would do is try to find a first picture that really, really "pops", in a way that you would make you instantly noticeable as a thumbnail in a row of guys. IMO this should be just your face, a selfie is okay but if you can get someone else to take the photo then even better. Then for the other pics you can add some full-body shots, pics with animals, action shots et.c.

Take real care in picking out the photos and don't be afraid to spend some time using filters or otherwise editing the photos to make them seem more appealing. But the key thing is that first photo. It needs to really cut through the noise and make someone who's just browsing the aisles stop up and say "hmm, he looks good/interesting". The rest of the pics should support the decision to right-swipe you (I am cool/interesting/sociable), but my impression is many women won't see them at all. I should note here that I have a very distinct look, which is both a blessing and a curse in general, but definitely turned out to be a blessing on Tinder and other dating apps.

Other things you should do is to put some key pieces of information about yourself in the profile, such as your height, your profession, and some good zingers that make the women laugh but also tell them something about you. This is just more supporting arguments to convince somebody you have hooked with your photos.

Your age is a big drawback if you're looking to meet the hottest women. Many of the younger women operate with a cutoff of 30, which is why you will see a lot of guys older than that lying about their age on the app.

You should check out Heat for Tinder. As you've already noticed, batch swiping is a bad idea; swiping selectively tends to give better results. What Heat does is it shows who has already liked you so you don't need to like them back to find out. This way you can be very selective in rejecting/accepting women who have shown interest in you, which enhances your value in the Tinder algorithm and puts you more at the front of each girl's stack. Another thing it does is to give you a mosaic of available women that you can like/dislike in batches or individually. This way you don't need to sift through and waste your swipes on women you might not be that interested in.

If you do all this and still get nowhere, then I've got nothing. You might truly be unsuited for dating apps.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hear ya. I am in the US as well and have similar results as yours in online dating.In real life, I have been able to go out with some super attractive women without issues. I suspect that success in online dating varies by location. I may be wrong though and may be some people really do look better in real life than pics.

I definitely do, which I suspect is part of the issue with me and online dating. Many girls (including a few recently) whom I've met offline over the years have explicitly told me as much. One girl a few months ago said 45 minutes into our first date that "You look a lot better in person than your pics. I thought you were cute enough in your pics or else I wouldn't have agreed to meet up, but you look way better in person. I wasn't nervous about this date at all, but when I walked up and saw you standing there I was intimidated - you're very good looking."

What doesn't translate to pictures I have no idea, but even I see the difference, which is why I hate taking pictures - I never feel like I look remotely as good as I do when looking in the mirror lol. I've somewhat come to chalk that up to a mental congruence issue (since one's mirror image is reversed, and we become accustomed to seeing only that every day), but third party observations at least seem to agree that me in real life > me in pics. Sucks for me. :(

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That does sound odd, seeing as you are obviously somewhat good looking and based in NY, which is by all accounts a complete fish market.

I will say that on Tinder it really helps to stand out visually, which is both a function of how you look and how you present yourself (pic construction and pic selection). First thing I would do is try to find a first picture that really, really "pops", in a way that you would make you instantly noticeable as a thumbnail in a row of guys. IMO this should be just your face, a selfie is okay but if you can get someone else to take the photo then even better. Then for the other pics you can add some full-body shots, pics with animals, action shots et.c.

Take real care in picking out the photos and don't be afraid to spend some time using filters or otherwise editing the photos to make them seem more appealing. But the key thing is that first photo. It needs to really cut through the noise and make someone who's just browsing the aisles stop up and say "hmm, he looks good/interesting". The rest of the pics should support the decision to right-swipe you (I am cool/interesting/sociable), but my impression is many women won't see them at all. I should note here that I have a very distinct look, which is both a blessing and a curse in general, but definitely turned out to be a blessing on Tinder and other dating apps.

Other things you should do is to put some key pieces of information about yourself in the profile, such as your height, your profession, and some good zingers that make the women laugh but also tell them something about you. This is just more supporting arguments to convince somebody you have hooked with your photos.

Your age is a big drawback if you're looking to meet the hottest women. Many of the younger women operate with a cutoff of 30, which is why you will see a lot of guys older than that lying about their age on the app.

You should check out Heat for Tinder. As you've already noticed, batch swiping is a bad idea; swiping selectively tends to give better results. What Heat does is it shows who has already liked you so you don't need to like them back to find out. This way you can be very selective in rejecting/accepting women who have shown interest in you, which enhances your value in the Tinder algorithm and puts you more at the front of each girl's stack. Another thing it does is to give you a mosaic of available women that you can like/dislike in batches or individually. This way you don't need to sift through and waste your swipes on women you might not be that interested in.

If you do all this and still get nowhere, then I've got nothing. You might truly be unsuited for dating apps.

Thanks for the detailed response. :) Busy now but I'll reply in more depth later.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely do, which I suspect is part of the issue with me and online dating. Many girls (including a few recently) whom I've met offline over the years have explicitly told me as much. One girl a few months ago said 45 minutes into our first date that "You look a lot better in person than your pics. I thought you were cute enough in your pics or else I wouldn't have agreed to meet up, but you look way better in person. I wasn't nervous about this date at all, but when I walked up and saw you standing there I was intimidated - you're very good looking."

What doesn't translate to pictures I have no idea, but even I see the difference, which is why I hate taking pictures - I never feel like I look remotely as good as I do when looking in the mirror lol. I've somewhat come to chalk that up to a mental congruence issue (since one's mirror image is reversed, and we become accustomed to seeing only that every day), but third party observations at least seem to agree that me in real life > me in pics. Sucks for me. :(

Tinder emphasizes static facial attractiveness, and you're a bald guy.

In real life, in contrast, you may be benefiting from factors like height, frame, body language, and voice, which are important to genuine attraction but not communicated by tinder. Perhaps you even smell good and that helps you get women in the real world.

zircon

My Regimen
Reaction score

In real life, in contrast, you may be benefiting from factors like height, frame, body language, and voice, which are important to genuine attraction but not communicated by tinder. Perhaps you even smell good and that helps you get women in the real world.
He's not bald, he's Norwood 2.5-3.0. But facial attractiveness, and I will also add, distinctiveness, is indeed a really big factor in Tinder success.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm not bald, though (not in pics, at least, since I spend a ton of time and use a ton of concealer to look more normal). My hairline is definitely higher than normal, though, since you cant disguise that, but I sport a deft combover/spiked look to largely hide the temple recession. I do know that the height of my hairline (or, alternatively, the size of my fivehead) would put some folks off - I don't see how it would put EVERYONE off, though, when my experience in real life says otherwise (your other points notwithstanding).

Regarding those other points/qualities you mention, yes, I agree that my general stature and comportment help me more in real life and can't be adequately conveyed in pics. I've been told I have a very regal bearing (yes, a couple gals actually used those words lol), and men - even men who are larger than me - tend to give me a wide berth and unusual amounts of respect for some reason even when I don't know them. I frequently get asked if I'm a bouncer, police offer, or security guard when I go out despite not lifting weights until the past couple of years (these comments were made years ago into the present).

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
White knight.

I think it's time to talk about women on hair loss talk.

There are 3 women here on hair loss talk now (I do not count @Joan since I haven't met her in topics a enough, but respect her and she messaged me in PM when I had a mental breakdown, I appreciate it).

They dilute sausage party here and that's nice. Nevertheless they do not have equal value at least for me.

Personally, I would rate as following:

1. @hairblues – drops redpills here and there, life stories, no reddit talks or worthless consolations, solid humour, good taste and looks ratings. Top value for hair loss talk I think.

2. @EvilLocks – same as @hairblues but a bit more harsh, abrupt in a good sense possible because she is almost twice younger. Not as interesting as @hairblues. Rate her value as second.

3. @Pasbrillantebrunette – a lot of "positive" bullshit, female analog of notorious @telelrsquill, adds reddit smell to the threads she posts. Good taste in tv shows, sometimes delivers decent posts but they lost in reddit-styled "sweet" talking. Lowest value despite highest post-per-day ratio.

Still all of them add their impact on blend of characters on hair loss talk so I do not judge anyone. Just saying.

you just want to start an international cat fight on HairLossTalk.com.

;)

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not bald, though (not in pics, at least, since I spend a ton of time and use a ton of concealer to look more normal). My hairline is definitely higher than normal, though, since you cant disguise that, but I sport a deft combover/spiked look to largely hide the temple recession. I do know that the height of my hairline (or, alternatively, the size of my fivehead) would put some folks off - I don't see how it would put EVERYONE off, though, when my experience in real life says otherwise (your other points notwithstanding).

Regarding those other points/qualities you mention, yes, I agree that my general stature and comportment help me more in real life and can't be adequately conveyed in pics. I've been told I have a very regal bearing (yes, a couple gals actually used those words lol), and men - even men who are larger than me - tend to give me a wide berth and unusual amounts of respect for some reason even when I don't know them. I frequently get asked if I'm a bouncer, police offer, or security guard when I go out despite not lifting weights until the past couple of years (these comments were made years ago into the present).

I think your response is consistent with a lot of what you wrote.

You do have a receded hairline, which you can't imagine to be that drastic in importance. However, it's much more important on tinder than in real life as tinder emphasizes static facial attractiveness -- how your face appears in a motionless photo. This is some subset of genuine attractiveness. Given the diluted factors of otherwise critical variables like being tall or having a nice ***, factors like hairline and teeth quality are amplified in importance. They consume the remaining weight.

Do you have perfect teeth?

I don't know you, I haven't seen your photo, but I do know that if men give you space in the real world then that's a sign of commanding respect. You're an authority figure. If you start speaking at a dinner party, other people might instinctively stop speaking just because hearing what you have to say is important, as everybody will want to respond to that. You have a gift. That's the kind of social influence a lot of women find attractive, you can use whatever term you like: popularity, social influence, presence, social status, class, etc. All of them denote slightly different things and it sounds like you have it, and it's difficult to communicate that over tinder.

I'm not sure how you could communicate that. Perhaps a picture of yourself in a snazzy well-tailored suit, where there are two people slightly shorter than you standing on either side of you.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lauren Urasek became a minor celebrity a while back as it turned out she was the most popular woman in the world on OkCupid. She was averageing 56 messages a day from men.

She has the tattooed, blue-eyed Cleopatra with large breasts look going on:

enhanced-17771-1397372456-1.jpg

MTI0ODczNDg3NjI5MzM4NjM0.jpg

Among other things, I think her popularity supports @zircon's theory.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lauren Urasek became a minor celebrity a while back as it turned out she was the most popular woman in the world on OkCupid. She was averageing 56 messages a day from men.

She has the tattooed, blue-eyed Cleopatra with large breasts look going on:

enhanced-17771-1397372456-1.jpg

MTI0ODczNDg3NjI5MzM4NjM0.jpg

Among other things, I think her popularity supports @zircon's theory.

i like her face and hair and nice body but the tattoos my opinion way too many and i don't like the style of them.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
A better looking version of Ben Affleck can't get matches on Tinder?

Something doesn't add up. We could be looking at Rick Ross levels of distorted self image

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.