Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The company will be long bankrupt and extinct if it takes 15 years, they have no other products. I would say take the person who actually developed the process/sciences' word for it over the business people who need to generate hype. 3-5 years before preformed commercially, if all goes well in trials.

The success of the pig trial will be pivotal. Alexei even says in that video that mouse models are a poor proxy for human skin, so it's success in pig skin will show where the process is headed.
Ah, a scenario I had in mind was more along the lines of if they showed efficacy in pigs and human trials, but they're held up by regulations for a decade. They'd likely still receive funding through it all if they prove early it works 100%, I'd assume.

I have faith in their science and I feel like their main hurdle is regulatory roadblocks. Even if all the trials go well. 3-5 sounds way too fast to be true, but possible if they get the same treatment as PRP, exosomes, etc.

Last edited:

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The company will be long bankrupt and extinct if it takes 15 years, they have no other products. I would say take the person who actually developed the process/sciences' word for it over the business people who need to generate hype. 3-5 years before preformed commercially, if all goes well in trials.

The success of the pig trial will be pivotal. Alexei even says in that video that mouse models are a poor proxy for human skin, so it's success in pig skin will show where the process is headed. If they fail at getting proper hair growth in a pig then they wont be going anywhere near humans.
I don’t see reason what’s stops them now to try their technology on 4-5 pig models and see if it works. Human skin and pig skin are very similar and identical in many aspects. Plus, pig skin has more fat than human skin, so if they can grown human hair on pigs, then they can grown on humans 100%.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Funniest part of that video for me is the disconnect between the science (Alexie) and the business itself. He openly says that they have a long way to go before this might be available (3-4 years and probably longer in his own words as of late 2020), yet in the business calls with the VC backers they sound like they are racing forward towards clinical trials and quick commercialization.

The biggest take away from it though is that he states that the challenges they still face are not fundamental, but rather small and technical. I think most people will be able to wait 3-4 years for a perfect hair of hair, though.
When I will see Alexie with perfect hair, then I will believe in his science.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t see reason what’s stops them now to try their technology on 4-5 pig models and see if it works. Human skin and pig skin are very similar and identical in many aspects. Plus, pig skin has more fat than human skin, so if they can grown human hair on pigs, then they can grown on humans 100%.
That's pretty much what they're trying to do now, it looks like.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, a scenario I had in mind was more along the lines of if they showed efficacy in pigs and human trials, but they're held up by regulations for a decade. They'd likely still receive funding through it all if they prove early it works 100%, I'd assume.

I have faith in their science and I feel like their main hurdle is regulatory roadblocks. Even if all the trials go well. 3-5 sounds way too fast to be true, but possible if they get the same treatment as PRP, exosomes, etc.
It depends on the trial structure I guess.
Do you think they're doing all of their science on one single pig or something? That's what they're literally doing right now. Still will require human trials after. No one said it's going to take 2-3 years, they were talking about potentially starting human trials in 2021.

Last edited:

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stemson is in the right direction and has a viable, possible solution.

The biggest barrier we have between us and the cure now is the lack of funding in this space.

For a paradigm shift of the magnitude of hair cloning to happen, it is strictly necessary hundreds of millions to billions of dollars in funding.

See Moderna. They took more than US$ 5 billion of capital before they could even try to deliver a mRNA-based solution to the market, and it only finally happened because of the hail mary (for them) created by all this Sars-CoV-2 mess.

So if our Stemson friends manage to somehow make hair cloning a reality with just like a dozen millions in funding, it will basically be a miracle. A pyramid should be built for Dr. Terskikh and planets should be named after each one of their founding members if they pull this thing.

I'm a believer. Alexey "The Great Hair Pharaoh" Terskikh is the one. He will deliver. Have faith.

Last edited:

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stemson is doing - or at least planning to do - research with human skin before they start clinical trials.

From a mid-2020 job posting ad:

Required Skills
  • Advanced tissue culture capabilities
  • Genomic and protein analysis tools and protocols
  • Willingness to work with rodents and pigs as well as human tissues
  • Applicant must be a highly motivated self-starter
  • Good oral and written communication skills
  • Strong organizational skills
  • Strong team collaboration and interpersonal skills
  • A desire to contribute ideas and share opinions

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stemson is in the right direction and has a viable, possible solution.

The biggest barrier we have between us and the cure now is the lack of funding in this space.

For a paradigm shift of the magnitude of hair cloning to happen, it is strictly necessary hundreds of millions to billions of dollars in funding.

See Moderna. They took more than US$ 5 billion of capital before they could even try to deliver a mRNA-based solution to the market, and it only finally happened because of the hail mary (for them) created by all this Sars-CoV-2 mess.

So if our Stemson friends manage to somehow make hair cloning a reality with just like a dozen millions in funding, it will basically be a miracle. A pyramid should be built for Dr. Terskikh and planets should be named after each one of their founding members if they pull this thing.

I'm a believer. Alexey "The Great Hair Pharaoh" Terskikh is the one. He will deliver. Have faith.
It won't be just a dozen millions before they pulled this off. There is a Series A and probably a much larger Series B round of funding in the future, followed by an acquisition or strategic partnership to leverage Allergan for commercialization.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It won't be just a dozen millions before they pulled this off. There is a Series A and probably a much larger Series B round of funding in the future, followed by an acquisition or strategic partnership to leverage Allergan for commercialization.
Do you think investors would be pouring in for Series B if pig trials go well?

H

Reaction score
Just watched that interview Alexey seems like a down to earth guy. He also doesnt seem too confident that this will be out in 4 years and will take longer which is honest. Too bad David was working on Windows 95 with dial-up but the message got through.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's on their Series A deck. They basically think they can get clinical trials-ready with just more $15M.

Even if they get $50M, we're just splitting hairs here (no pun).

Paradigm shifts of such magnitude in the biotech sector usually demand much, much more capital.

It will sound counter intuitive, but Stemson should go for $100M at least. It will be easier to raise bigger amounts than smaller.

Geoff needs to open his mind, grow some balls and up his game.

Last edited:

H

Reaction score
I think he is talking about Dr. Bradley Wolf, the interviewer (and got his first name confused)
f*** it is Bradley my bad I dont know where I got David wtf. See this is the problem with hairloss I get names wrong now. This wouldnt happen if I had my hair back.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
f*** it is Bradley my bad I dont know where I got David wtf. See this is the problem with hairloss I get names wrong now. This wouldnt happen if I had my hair back.
That's the reason why I can't watch this without rage-quitting. Sound quality is worse than horseshit.

"Bradley needs a shot of testosterone pronto" made my day tho. lol

Reactions: H

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's on their Series A deck. They basically think they can get clinical trials-ready with just more $15M.

Even if they get $50M, we're just splitting hairs here (no pun).

Paradigm shifts of such magnitude in the biotech sector usually demand much, much more capital.

It will sound counter intuitive, but Stemson should go for $100M at least. It will be easier to raise bigger amounts than smaller.

Geoff needs to open his mind, grow some balls and up his game.
You're just pulling random numbers out here. By Stemson's own admission, this process is very cheap on a per hair basis and initial trials will be on literal 1cm squared patches of a human head.