Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

poopfeast420

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wouldn't the skill be the same? Sure you have more density to work with and the technique wont be as extensive to look good, but you still need the hairs to be placed as if they were natural or it will still look like sh*t.
No need for follice extraction and maybe no need for the incisions that surgeons currently make when implanting? Ideally they're sitting there making a series of injections, you probably wouldn't need a doctor for that.

Your point regarding the hairline is a good one, that seems like it would still require a good amount of skill

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wouldn't the skill be the same? Sure you have more density to work with and the technique wont be as extensive to look good, but you still need the hairs to be placed as if they were natural or it will still look like sh*t.

The excision process will be no more, and the rest will be automated. Designing the hairline is the only part that will still require any skill, and even that will be easier, you don't have to hide lack of density and worry about large incisions. These incisions will be smaller. For just the hairline you can go to the most expensive surgeons for 15,000.

They could bilk the super wealthy for a while if they kept it at a small scale, but they'll make more money if they scale up and mass market it. In the long run they'd make more money by keeping the price as high as possible for as long as possible if they had no competition, but everyone wants to maximize profits as quickly as possible and competition won't be far behind. If they're smart they will try to treat as many people as they can before competition hits the market, and they aren't going to do that at a price of 100k.

Last edited:

Shush

My Regimen
Reaction score
We are speculating on something that does not exist yet. I really hope pigs will be flexing on us soon, it would mean it works

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
We are speculating on something that does not exist yet. I really hope pigs will be flexing on us soon, it would mean it works
REally? I thought we were speculating on something that was already here which would defeat the purpose of speculating. Phew! Thanks for clearing that up

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, it exists, they've already grown human hair in the scaffolds. What we don't know yet is the quality of the product once actually inside a human.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
The excision process will be no more, and the rest will be automated. Designing the hairline is the only part that will still require any skill, and even that will be easier, you don't have to hide lack of density and worry about large incisions. These incisions will be smaller. For just the hairline you can go to the most expensive surgeons for 15,000.

They could bilk the super wealthy for a while if they kept it at a small scale, but they'll make more money if they scale up and mass market it. In the long run they'd make more money by keeping the price as high as possible for as long as possible if they had no competition, but everyone wants to maximize profits as quickly as possible and competition won't be far behind. If they're smart they will try to treat as many people as they can before competition hits the market, and they aren't going to do that at a price of 100k.
Oh I agree, like I said, this procedure is designed for scale. They're going to want it in as many hair transplant clinics as possible globally. I don't think they want to bilk the super wealthy for too long either but its their own pitch where they admit they plan to.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Imo the timeline is going to be way more important than the cost. Do you guys have any opinions on whether they can commercialize with just a few chats with the FDA, the way exosomes and prp did? Their pitch product 1 and 2 make it seem like they think that if it's using the patient's own cells then it won't require extensive trials, whereas it will if they implant someone else's.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
one might think, but somehow I can't imagine it without knowing it.

if it were, they wouldn't make their preclinical phase that long. They would experiment directly on people. Risks appear to exist and if there are risks, studies are likely to be required.

I even think that a phase 2 study will also be necessary. That was also the case at intercytex. they only worked with their own cells too.
but i have no idea are just my thoughts.
That was before the 21st Century Cures Act though, which is what allows me continue to dream we might be cured within this decade: https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/selected-amendments-fdc-act/21st-century-cures-act

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Something to consider with hair follicle multiplication is that the value of each follicle would be going down as this technology advances. This means that the preparation process is much less intensive and costly. There obviously has to be care given into mapping out the right amount of follicles per square inch, but that’s less of an “art” with multiplication and more of a brute force type of thing.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Important Question:

could a normal hair surgeon transplant the hair afterwards, like a normal bad hair transplant?h Or is the hair so specially coated that only a stem cell expert could?
Eh expert hair transplant surgeons are in the team. They transplant the scaffold into the scalp.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
but maybe they have dealt a lot with the theory behind it. Would a normal hair surgeon, for example, also be able to adjust the hairline afterwards?
Oh sorry, I was missinterpreting your post. They definitely will be able to repair the transplant, as they would with a normal one.

I posted back then a quote from the cache, about; implantation, maintenance and repair.

Tho I wonder what was meant by maintenance...

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Important Question:

could a normal hair surgeon transplant the hair afterwards, like a normal bad hair transplant?h Or is the hair so specially coated that only a stem cell expert could?
In one of the videos linked somewhere in this thread, Geoff says that they have hair transplant surgeons advising them, who are representing the hair transplant surgeons that will carry out the operation, so this leads me to think that this just requires some extra training but not expertise in some area regarding stem cells.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great. you guys don't know how much I'm looking forward to Stemson.

It's pretty obvious given how you've changed your profile picture to our god haha. I'm going to use w/e drugs I can to maintain but all my hopes are on Stemson. Only when Stemson comes out will I be able to truly stop thinking about hair, worrying about sides, etc. If they fail it's probably over for a lot of us. We'll get hair when we're 50-60 and it won't matter nearly as much.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@trialAcc You said Stemson will announce funding in the first half of the year. should be ready in a month at the latest? do you think we will then learn more about entering the market?
That's just a guess, no way anyone without inside information can definitively answer that. For all we know, they might not have gotten a penny for their series A.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes, but trialacc is a professional management consultant (or something like that). He can assess things better.
That's just a guess, no way anyone without inside information can definitively answer that. For all we know, they might not have gotten a penny for their series A.
I'm a sovereign debt analyst lol, I have no more information on this then you would. I just took the information that's publicly available. They won't have a problem raising their series A, though. Could probably be announced at anytime.

I wouldn't care about the series A though, you can get a better gauge of when they will ramp up into trials by looking at their hiring section. Most companies will start to post openings when they are 3-6 months from starting to scale. It's possible they have everything they need already but unlikely.

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
you are like the magic conch shell in Spongebob, you can simply answer all the answers satisfactorily. Maybe you're just smarter than me.

But wouldn't it make more sense to hire employees for scaling after the clinical studies?
Who's going to conduct the trials? The researchers themselves?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont know. But even if they did, they wouldn't need many employees for the studies. Because you don't need them until you are approved. Then they would pay unnecessarily salary for 2-3 years? would be my thought
Most companies hire employees to conduct trials. The researchers themselves do not conduct them.