Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
The IND application is submitted by the company or research group responsible for developing the drug to the FDA. The FDA reviews IND applications and decides whether they are safe for companies to progress to the clinical trial stage.

But basically every company is doing that, doesn't mean much..
Companies do that when they are about to launch clinical trials and their pre-clinical data is 100% complete. It definitely means means something in the sense that they are preparing for human trials in the short term.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see where you guys pulled the info from, but if they are preparing right now to submit an IND it means we'll see see human trials in H2 2021 or H1 H2022. If they are just doing IND enabling work it means that they're still doing pre-clinical research.
Does this mean we could get a timeline this year!?

I know that you're not god and dont know EVERYTHING, but you seem to know pretty much about all this regulation topic haha :)

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does this mean we could get a timeline this year!?

I know that you're not god and dont know EVERYTHING, but you seem to know pretty much about all this regulation topic haha :)
I'm sure they'll give forward guidance on when they expect to start human trials when they announce the closure of their next round of funding. In the Fortunis investors video the CEO said it would be announced this spring. That funding would be for initial human trials.

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see where you guys pulled the info from, but if they are preparing right now to submit an IND it means we'll see see human trials in H2 2021 or H1 H2022. If they are just doing IND enabling work it means that they're still doing pre-clinical research.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.37.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.37.56 PM.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 105

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's pretty vague, but it would still indicate they are approaching human trials, though perhaps not immediately. The one under it simply states "mouse studies published".

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. This clearly shows us that Stemson collabroates now with Cellino. Cellini developed a technology to multiplay iPSc and many other cells for a little price in a short period of time. This is a huge step for me! It would lower the cost a bunch if I had to guess.

Also, is it true that they can take skin samples from the occipital area!?
I don't recall them talking about taking skin samples except to test on. Their technology uses blood samples.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score

One of many Stemson Therapeutics' scientists is listed as an author on this article of pubmed.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another question, you guys might not be able to answer, but it would be cool to discuss it...

I saw an interview again and Alexey or well Hamilton said that they customize the hair to the need of the patient!? Does this mean Androgenetic Alopecia is treaten differently than... AA?

Does this mean they try to make the follicle permanent and not susceptible to Androgenetic Alopecia!? This would match then with the Fortunis guy, making claims that it will give a natural density/hairline, that the hair will stay permanently and won't bald ever. Someone remember that phrase and can elaborate it!?

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another question, you guys might not be able to answer, but it would be cool to discuss it...

I saw an interview again and Alexey or well Hamilton said that they customize the hair to the need of the patient!? Does this mean Androgenetic Alopecia is treaten differently than... AA?

Does this mean they try to make the follicle permanent and not susceptible to Androgenetic Alopecia!? This would match then with the Fortunis guy, making claims that it will give a natural density/hairline, that the hair will stay permanently and won't bald ever. Someone remember that phrase and can elaborate it!?
I'm pretty sure they'll try to make hairs immune to AA regardless of the patient, if it's possible. By customization I think they were referring to thickness, texture, color, etc.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they'll try to make hairs immune to AA regardless of the patient, if it's possible. By customization I think they were referring to thickness, texture, color, etc.
I don't think it's possible for them to make hair "immune" to AA. Even our donor hair is not immune to AA, so I don't really know how they would program the genetic predisposition of the follicle to be any different then if you were to move a follicle from the donor to the Norwood area.

Best we could hope for is that the hair is "resistant", meaning maybe it thins over time like someone who wasn't predisposed to AA would experience anyways. If this were to work though, would it even matter? Eventually it would be available everywhere with reduced prices and you could just go top up your hair as you needed.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
99% of people are already immune to AA, that's an autoimmune disease that happens when the follicle loses its immunoprivileged status. A.G.A. is caused by the androgen receptor shutting down Wnt signaling. There aren't many androgen receptors in the donor area in people with DPA, which is a form of A.G.A., but some 10% of A.G.A. sufferers have DUPA, meaning their hair thins even in the donor region. Everyone has age-related thinning in all areas, even Native Americans who are not susceptible to A.G.A., but that is a completely different thing and only leads to poor quality hair, not baldness. If you remove the androgen receptor, or clone hairs that do not have it, then you get follicles that are immune to A.G.A.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
And now the million dollar question stays in the horizon if Stemson tries to achieve the same hair follicles which are located in the occipital area...

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
99% of people are already immune to AA, that's an autoimmune disease that happens when the follicle loses its immunoprivileged status. A.G.A. is caused by the androgen receptor shutting down Wnt signaling. There aren't many androgen receptors in the donor area in people with DPA, which is a form of A.G.A., but some 10% of A.G.A. sufferers have DUPA, meaning their hair thins even in the donor region. Everyone has age-related thinning in all areas, even Native Americans who are not susceptible to A.G.A., but that is a completely different thing and only leads to poor quality hair, not baldness. If you remove the androgen receptor, or clone hairs that do not have it, then you get follicles that are immune to A.G.A.
Right, we meant Androgenetic Alopecia. How does one remove the androgen receptor? Even in people without Androgenetic Alopecia, their follicles still have the receptors.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, we meant Androgenetic Alopecia. How does one remove the androgen receptor? Even in people without Androgenetic Alopecia, their follicles still have the receptors.
It is unlikely that the horseshoe pattern thins out dramatically. If they are able to create the same follicles as the ones from the back area, they would work as a "new" follicle, means starts as a completely new one + aren't susceptible to androgens.

I wonder if this approach can give non Androgenetic Alopecia grandpas and grandmas full density back, as they have age-related thinning. Lol

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Occipital follicles don't have enough receptors to reach the threshold for triggering a shutdown of Wnt signaling. That's why hair transplants last forever in 90% of people. It's only the unlucky few with DUPA that are screwed.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Occipital follicles don't have enough receptors to reach the threshold for triggering a shutdown of Wnt signaling. That's why hair transplants last forever in 90% of people. It's only the unlucky few with DUPA that are screwed.
So based on this, hair follicles are inherently immune to miniaturization but miniaturized because of androgen receptors? Do you predict Stemson's cloned hair would have sufficient androgen receptors to be susceptible to miniaturization?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's what I was referring to in less specific terminology in my previous post. My question of how they would "choose" what type of follicle they create still stands though, because they said this process is done from a blood sample, not occipital follicle extraction.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
So based on this, hair follicles are inherently immune to miniaturization but miniaturized because of androgen receptors? Do you predict Stemson's cloned hair would have sufficient androgen receptors to be susceptible to miniaturization?
I'm not familiar enough with their process to say. Could be.