South Korean Scientists Has Developed A New Type Of Biochemical Material To Prevent Hair Loss

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That reminds me something...
BMP antagonists: chordin, noggin, cerberus, follistatin.. already discussed here and there are studies showing their importance.
and they talk about noggin in the study.
Anyone? @InBeforeTheCure

Last edited:

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When PGD2 binds to the CRTH2 receptor, it triggers a inflammatory response... So, with this receptor being blocked, there is less inflammation present. I suspect that with less inflammation in the scalp, it promotes better circulation, and allows the Wnt signaling pathway to behave normally, inducing angiogenesis and therefore better conditions for the hair follicle?

Here's the problem: Different levels of CRTH2 signaling do affect response of hair follicles to PGD2, but they don't affect A.G.A risk. SNPs that dramatically reduce CRTH2 mRNA stability (reduces half-life by 2.67x or so) are highly associated with sensitivity of hair follicles to PGD2, but have zero effect on A.G.A as I explained here.

Compare that with pathological expansion of polyglutamine repeats (encoded by CAG repeats in DNA) in the Androgen Receptor (AR) in Kennedy's disease. Men with Kennedy's disease have something like 40-52 CAG repeats compared to the average 21-23 (source). 40-52 repeats reduces activation of AR target genes to around 75-85% that of the average (source). Men with Kennedy's disease have a reduced risk of A.G.A (source).

Here's another one: A famous missense mutation, rs3827760 T -> C (Val370Ala), in a gene critical for hair follicle development and cycling called EDAR (Ectodysplasin A Receptor). The mutation increases EDAR-mediated activation of NF-kB by about 1.5x (source). This mutation also reduces your chances of A.G.A. dramatically (odds ratio = 2) according to this study (Supplemental Data 9).

supp9.png

Well, hopefully you get the idea. Differences in the relative activities of certain genes/pathways that have some impact on causing a condition should affect chances of having that condition. If a large biological effect doesn't push the needle on someone's chances of having some biological trait, then logically that effect is unlikely to play much of a causative role. In other words, it's a symptom, not a cause.

You didn't answer - if VPA induce CXXC5 - which cause hair loss and inhibits WNT\b - than how does result from this studies is possible (increasing WNT\b, much hair regrow)

VPA induces CXXC5 because it activates beta-catenin. Beta-catenin induces several negative feedback regulators (as well as positive feedback) - it's completely standard. For example, here's a short list from a study that profiled genes activated by Wnt3a in human dermal papilla cells.

wnt_feedback.png

Red are negative regulators of the Wnt pathway, green are positive regulators. Your question is like asking: "Dkk1 causes hair loss, so why is Wnt signaling not bad for hair?"

Here's a graph from the Lee study showing nuclear (i.e. activated) beta-catenin in mice treated with either nothing, PTD-DBM, VPA, or VPA + PTD-DBM respectively.

lee1.png

The VPA group is around 25%, the nothing group is around 10%. 25 > 10. That's why.

Also - where is your proofs, studies?
Because for now, all your sentences look like totally unjustified ...

Anything in particular you want references for?

That reminds me something...
BMP antagonists: chordin, noggin, cerberus, follistatin.. already discussed here and there are studies showing their importance.
and they talk about noggin in the study.
Anyone? @InBeforeTheCure

Which study?

Anyway, about Noggin, here are a few studies for you:
Generation of the primary hair follicle pattern - Mou et al.

Shh maintains dermal papilla identity and hair morphogenesis via a Noggin–Shh regulatory loop - Woo, Zhen, & Oro (possibly because BMP inhibits Edar expression as shown in the previous study, as well as in some microarray data that I have, and Shh is an Edar target gene)

Bone Morphogenetic Protein Signaling Regulates Postnatal Hair Follicle Differentiation and Cycling - Guha et al.
(loss of hair with overexpression of Noggin - therefore, blasting hair follicles with BMP inhibitors 24/7 also not an option)

mecevik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's the problem: Different levels of CRTH2 signaling do affect response of hair follicles to PGD2, but they don't affect A.G.A risk. SNPs that dramatically reduce CRTH2 mRNA stability (reduces half-life by 2.67x or so) are highly associated with sensitivity of hair follicles to PGD2, but have zero effect on A.G.A as I explained here.

Compare that with pathological expansion of polyglutamine repeats (encoded by CAG repeats in DNA) in the Androgen Receptor (AR) in Kennedy's disease. Men with Kennedy's disease have something like 40-52 CAG repeats compared to the average 21-23 (source). 40-52 repeats reduces activation of AR target genes to around 75-85% that of the average (source). Men with Kennedy's disease have a reduced risk of A.G.A (source).

Here's another one: A famous missense mutation, rs3827760 T -> C (Val370Ala), in a gene critical for hair follicle development and cycling called EDAR (Ectodysplasin A Receptor). The mutation increases EDAR-mediated activation of NF-kB by about 1.5x (source). This mutation also reduces your chances of A.G.A. dramatically (odds ratio = 2) according to this study (Supplemental Data 9).

View attachment 72932

Well, hopefully you get the idea. Differences in the relative activities of certain genes/pathways that have some impact on causing a condition should affect chances of having that condition. If a large biological effect doesn't push the needle on someone's chances of having some biological trait, then logically that effect is unlikely to play much of a causative role. In other words, it's a symptom, not a cause.

VPA induces CXXC5 because it activates beta-catenin. Beta-catenin induces several negative feedback regulators (as well as positive feedback) - it's completely standard. For example, here's a short list from a study that profiled genes activated by Wnt3a in human dermal papilla cells.

View attachment 72933

Red are negative regulators of the Wnt pathway, green are positive regulators. Your question is like asking: "Dkk1 causes hair loss, so why is Wnt signaling not bad for hair?"

Here's a graph from the Lee study showing nuclear (i.e. activated) beta-catenin in mice treated with either nothing, PTD-DBM, VPA, or VPA + PTD-DBM respectively.

View attachment 72934

The VPA group is around 25%, the nothing group is around 10%. 25 > 10. That's why.

Which study?

Shh maintains dermal papilla identity and hair morphogenesis via a Noggin–Shh regulatory loop - Woo, Zhen, & Oro (possibly because BMP inhibits Edar expression as shown in the previous study, as well as in some microarray data that I have, and Shh is an Edar target gene)

Bone Morphogenetic Protein Signaling Regulates Postnatal Hair Follicle Differentiation and Cycling - Guha et al.
(loss of hair with overexpression of Noggin - therefore, blasting hair follicles with BMP inhibitors 24/7 also not an option)
Are you studying Biochemistry or anything regarding medicine?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 72932

View attachment 72933

View attachment 72934

Which study?

Great work. Thanks for post. We might consider the possibility of hair cloning in conjunction with genetic modification as was recently done in cases of adrenoleukodystrophy. The prospect of potentially having any type of hair characteristic is exciting and will be possible. God knows when.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me like I'm five years old why this find, if it amounts to any sort of treatment, would actually work?

Because as far as I can tell, it would do nothing to address the DHT problem (which mice do not have) and your follicles would still shrink regardless of using the compound.

As I recall, in-vitro experiments show that susceptible hair has the same negative reactions to the hormones.

The idea that we just have this protein binding to another and "inhibiting hair growth", which I read to mean "stops it cold turkey" in a very particular pattern is dubious at best.

kingjohn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me like I'm five years old why this find, if it amounts to any sort of treatment, would actually work?

Because as far as I can tell, it would do nothing to address the DHT problem (which mice do not have) and your follicles would still shrink regardless of using the compound.

As I recall, in-vitro experiments show that susceptible hair has the same negative reactions to the hormones.

The idea that we just have this protein binding to another and "inhibiting hair growth", which I read to mean "stops it cold turkey" in a very particular pattern is dubious at best.

it addresses the dht problem because cxxc5 activity is the mechanism by which dht inhibits hair growth/destroys follicles. therefore, by inhibiting cxxc5, you take dht out of the game, so to speak, and it is rendered essentially useless. think of dht as the messenger and cxxc5 as the message; by inhibiting the message (cxxc5), you spare the messenger (dht) and preserve follicles

ZenHead

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it's funny, a few years ago saying "DHT is not the main problem in male pattern baldness" would cause an uproar. Now we know that DHT is upstream of so many other factors that cause male pattern baldness

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it's funny, a few years ago saying "DHT is not the main problem in male pattern baldness" would cause an uproar. Now we know that DHT is upstream of so many other factors that cause male pattern baldness
definitely. There are people who look to maintain without fighting dht itself. but others have to jump on anti dht .
so this is complicated, and hard to understand . there must be several reasons/factors. Maybe this discovery is the angle to look at ?who knows

ZenHead

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
definitely. There are people who look to maintain without fighting dht itself. but others have to jump on anti dht .
so this is complicated, and hard to understand . there must be several reasons/factors. Maybe this discovery is the angle to look at ?who knows

DHT / Prostaglandins / WNT/B-catenin pathway must all be related somehow, because otherwise, we wouldn’t see success of other people treating this condition through those different methods. We know that prostaglandins are attributed to anti inflammatory or inflammatory responses, and are directly related to circulation and bloodflow. I have a theory that the WNT pathway cannot function properly when there is chronic inflammation due to excessive PGD2. Can anyone shed some light on this? Does lack of circulation cause a disruption in the WNT pathway?

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Totally agree.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT / Prostaglandins / WNT/B-catenin pathway must all be related somehow, because otherwise, we wouldn’t see success of other people treating this condition through those different methods. We know that prostaglandins are attributed to anti inflammatory or inflammatory responses, and are directly related to circulation and bloodflow. I have a theory that the WNT pathway cannot function properly when there is chronic inflammation due to excessive PGD2. Can anyone shed some light on this? Does lack of circulation cause a disruption in the WNT pathway?

You should look up DKK1.

mecevik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys I have been following this thread since its beginning with being obsessed because this seems legit. Respected Dermatology Foundations referred to this study. Their study paper seems logical. We saw it in the news much more than the other treatments.
We find out from the study that a protein called CXXC5 is negative regulator of Wnt Pahtway which is important for hair growth and that they developed a compound called PTD-DBM. They are testing it on mice for toxicity.
So, Let's come to the point that I want to say. We don't know exactly if it will work on humans. In clincals %80 of the compounds don't work on humans. Therefore, We must make them aware of this study and encourage them to work on new CXXC5 inhibitors as alternative to PTD-DBM by contacting them.
I'm going to start by mailing the pharmatics in my country. So, I want your help. You can help me (also yourself) by contacting them about this.