South Korean Scientists Has Developed A New Type Of Biochemical Material To Prevent Hair Loss

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2017/11/20/0200000000AKR20171120080600017.HTML

They mention full regrowth.

Edit:

SEOUL, South Korea (Reuters) - South Korean researchers have developed candidate hair loss products,

The Ministry of Science and Technology announced yesterday that a professor at Yonsei University's Department of Biotechnology and Bioengineering discovered a candidate protein that inhibits the function of hair protein.

The researchers noted that the amount of protein called 'CXXC5' is high in the scalp tissue of a person who has hair loss.

This protein is a key component of the intracellular signaling pathway (Wnt signaling pathway) that plays a role in hair formation and wound healing.

To better understand the function of the protein, the researchers studied human hair follicle cells, confirming that this protein binds to other proteins and inhibits hair growth.

This suggests that if the binding of the two proteins is blocked, hair can be properly formed.

The researchers actually produced a biochemical (protein fragment) 'PTD-DBM' that blocked the binding of the two proteins and confirmed its efficacy in mice.

Applying PTD-DBM for 28 days to the hairless area, the hair follicles will be healthy and the hair will come back.

If you apply VPA (valproic acid), a chemical that activates the winter signaling system, the hair growth effect is higher.

Existing hair loss treatments use the principle of promoting the growth rate of hair, so it is not effective when hair loss has already progressed. In addition, there were side effects because of the simultaneous use of drugs that inhibit male hormones.

The researchers said the candidate for hair loss treatment has the potential to solve all of these problems.

The researchers are now testing animals for toxicity to this candidate drug.

Professor Choi Kang-yeol said, "We have developed a novel material that regulates the function of hair proteins and controls the function of hair to regenerate hair." I hope to contribute, "he said.

The research was supported by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MOCIE), and the research results were published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology on the 20th of last month.

Last edited:

Jonnyyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dang the WNT pathway is way more important than ever thought can someone translate the entire article? My phones not letting me and it's barley translating any of it.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
Theres a couple articles in english but this one has more info in it. You guys should use chrome and google translate if u can. If @Admin can get an interview that would be sweet. Would very much like to know what the trial situation would look like.

abra

My Regimen
Reaction score
Losing hair since 2005. At that time so many new "breakthroughs" were being made. Some new discovery every other month or so. When someone told us that cure would come by 2009, we were so depressed. We hoped cure would be here by 2007 or so. Who need hair in 30s?:mad:
Here I am in last days of 2017, still hoping. No matter if you r teen, in twenties or in sixties, you will always miss you hair. But f*****g cure never comes:(

UberBaldaten

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Best option might be a small molecule inhibitor like the one identified in this study, to use along with a GSK3-beta inhibitor like LiCl or VPA and wounding.
"In conclusion, we identified the indole‐containing small molecules as candidates of orally deliverable anti‐osteoporosis agents, activating the Wnt/β‐catenin signaling via inhibition of Dvl–CXXC5 interaction."

There's our winner. How do we obtain this?

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice find
Add CXXC5 to the list of abnormal biochemicals levels in balding scalp, this list never stop god damn

OFXMBLD

Reaction score
There's our winner. How do we obtain this?

In the study they purchased 5‐benzyloxy indole‐2‐carboxylate ethyl‐ester, from that they synthesized KY-02061 and then KY-02327. Looking over their process, it's pretty long and complicated. Using a magnetic stir bar they're stirring reactants in solution for up to a day and then purifying the product with column chromatography after each step, of which there are 6. All together they used 9 different solvents and 7 reactants over 6 steps. That's not a full list of the required chemicals, either. It might be possible, but not easy. The other problem is the study administered KY-02327 orally and it decreased Dvl-CXXC5 interaction systemically, so there is a higher chance of side effects and we don't know if it will work topically. I think the possibility of duplicating their work and ending up with reasonably pure KY-02327 is pretty small outside of a commercial lab, there's too many things to go wrong.

Last edited:

Mage

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is the same pattern we see in every research paper:
1. Researcher finds something that is causing hair loss in mice.
2. They either add a compound or inhibit some biological activity.
3. Rat regrows hair.
4. Researchers conclude they've hit a breakthrough and the media goes wild.

Something ain't right with this approach. The only thing it could mean to humans is that they need to add something else to their regiment. I don't think one compound will do it anymore - we need to attack this as a complex.

OFXMBLD

Reaction score
The entire mouse study system is flawed. If we keep studying mice we're going to cure every possible mouse disease, but 80% of drugs that work in mice don't work in humans. How many that don't work in mice would work in humans? We need to study humans if we want to find human cures, but that's never going to happen. So we have to make-do with our furry friends and hope that eventually we run into something that works on both mice and humans.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
It's crazy a year ago it seemed samumed was so close to starting phase 3. Lol I thought histogen would be out by now. I even thought follica would be out by now. If this is going to take a decade before it's released, it's probably of no use to us. I was more or less curious if there was any way for them to expedite their trials.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the study they purchased 5‐benzyloxy indole‐2‐carboxylate ethyl‐ester, from that they synthesized KY-02061 and then KY-02327. Looking over their process, it's pretty long and complicated. Using a magnetic stir bar they're stirring reactants in solution for up to a day and then purifying the product with column chromatography after each step, of which there are 6. All together they used 9 different solvents and 7 reactants over 6 steps. That's not a full list of the required chemicals, either. It might be possible, but not easy. The other problem is the study administered KY-02327 orally and it decreased Dvl-CXXC5 interaction systemically, so there is a higher chance of side effects and we don't know if it will work topically. I think the possibility of duplicating their work and ending up with reasonably pure KY-02327 is pretty small outside of a commercial lab, there's too many things to go wrong.

Maybe too expensive then.