Solution: Grow some facial hair, and wear a hat

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
SMP only looks presentable on dark hair or dark skinned guys. Even then, it should be a last resort.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
SMP only looks presentable on dark hair or dark skinned guys. Even then, it should be a last resort.

Id go wig before SMP at least then when people find out you can just take it off instead of having to be stuck with it indefinitely and move to a new town.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that SMP can be useful to make hair appear thicker or to cover a donor scar.

I just feel like it looks seriously obvious. Maybe on black skin its passable but I think once beyond NW5 SMP is a stretch. If there is NOTHING up there for texture its going to be awkward when a woman rubs your head and wonders why your hair is so smooth. Even with zero guard when I shaved you still felt something up there.

They really need to work on some kind of artificial transplanted hair. That would rock.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
I just feel like it looks seriously obvious. Maybe on black skin its passable but I think once beyond NW5 SMP is a stretch. If there is NOTHING up there for texture its going to be awkward when a woman rubs your head and wonders why your hair is so smooth. Even with zero guard when I shaved you still felt something up there.

They really need to work on some kind of artificial transplanted hair. That would rock.

Nope and nope
Have smp done
Granted im Norwood 2.5
But i was highly skeptical.
It looks realistic as **** no one ive shown knows any better
I have enough hair that if anyone touches my head they xan feel it
But you are right at nw5 id just get a hair transplant for the stubble feel with smp

Also how many girls will touch your head anyway? Do you get your hair touched daily? Lol

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Id go wig before SMP at least then when people find out you can just take it off instead of having to be stuck with it indefinitely and move to a new town.

You can get temporary SMP apparently. I'm glad you mention wig because I put it into that category. Should always max out scalp hair transplants, finasteride first. Even beard/body hair. At least it's hair even if it's a different consistency. For me personally I can't look past using donor hair from my scalp. I have that choice and it sits well with me.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also how many girls will touch your head anyway? Do you get your hair touched daily? Lol

when I had hair, lots.

But I would think if you had a shaved head and thats "what a girl was into" she would be touching it quite often, otherwise shes prob not that into them. There is def a distinct feel to them, like i said even mine had that sandpaper feel to it and I would rub against it for kicks.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol Fred, every time someone puts those shaved head pictures up before a transplant or SMP procedure, I see you :) Yes I guess it looks okay? I haven't seen these in real life so not sure. I'm personally uncomfortable with the idea of getting tattoos on my head to represent hair, if it was a tattoo elsewhere it can look cool in moderation. Each to their own. I think with my dark hair if I went to a good place it would work pretty well, just it's something I would only do as a very very last resort.

Agree Swing, on gluing a permanent wig ;)

- - - Updated - - -

when I had hair, lots.

But I would think if you had a shaved head and thats "what a girl was into" she would be touching it quite often, otherwise shes prob not that into them. There is def a distinct feel to them, like i said even mine had that sandpaper feel to it and I would rub against it for kicks.

My gf plays with my hair even when I drive at times. In the past girls have too generally. Still, you could just explain it's a tattoo lol. I guess for me I am uncomfortable with the idea itself. Agree on someone wanting to rub a shaved/bald head, that happens, their own group mates may try and rub it lol

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good post. I'll be going for a "mature hairline" look so it should appear natural. Celebs are more scrutinised.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
Ill get a hair transplant ina few years. I just cant afford a hair transplant atm, so i got smp which im very happy with since im shaving my head anyway

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ill get a hair transplant ina few years. I just cant afford a hair transplant atm, so i got smp which im very happy with since im shaving my head anyway

have you ever posted pics of it. I honestly feel it lacks dimensional depth. Like when I had stubble I still knew it was there and tangible, cast some shadow even microscopic. Maybe Im being nitpicky.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
have you ever posted pics of it. I honestly feel it lacks dimensional depth. Like when I had stubble I still knew it was there and tangible, cast some shadow even microscopic. Maybe Im being nitpicky.

Yes
It does lack dimensional depth
Its 2d not 3d so if you were nw5 you couldnt let it grow out
But as i said im Norwood 2.5 with pretty severe diffuse thinning so smp makes your hair looks thicker.
Would go well with a hair transplant if you want the stubble feel and thick hair appearance
But if you do shave your hair everyday its gr8. I recommend if you were interested look at skalp on youtube or hishairloss and vincihaie clinic. Get smp plus hair transplant and itll make a huge difference.
Not cheap but its the best solution imo if you cant grow your hair out cause its thin or something

Also i live with 3 other people and i didnt tell them and they didnt notice any difference even though i went through 3 sessiond over a month

And as fred has said many times having a hairline visible makes a huge difference pepople wont think your actually bald shaven but shaven coz u want to

tkster95

Reaction score
People treated me different while wearing a hat, same with using concealers (while they worked) and wearing a hair piece (while I could stand it). Whenever I'd leave the house without one of those coverups, and people could see that I was suffering from hair loss, that's when I'd get disrespected, made fun of or flat out ignored. With those coverups I was treated like a normal person. That's what I've always hated about loosing my hair, and the reason I've looked for ways to hide it, because of how others treated me different. Throughout the past 10-15 years of hair loss, I tried to explain that to full heads but no one ever understand.

I'm 32, a NW6, and have been struggling with hair loss since I was about 18. I had enough of living life like that and have been yearning for a permeant solution. As a NW6 I felt that SMP was my one last shot. I spent almost a whole year considering and researching the procedure. It was a very difficult decision make it, but ultimately decided to try it out. Two and a half weeks ago I received my second SMP treatment.

Its still settling a bit, and I'm not sure if I'll need a 3rd (I don't think I will, hopefully I won't have to go for another touchup in 5-6 years) so its tough for me to give a full review of the procedure at this point. I will say that right now, 2.5 weeks after the second treatment, I'm happy I had it done.

It is a bit of a roller coaster ride (as I expected it to be from reading testimonials). I shaved for the first time about a week after the 2nd treatment and when I saw it the first time I did regret it. At that point it was still pretty dark and the dots were noticeably bigger than they are now, it really freaked me out. Now that its settled I'm really liking it.

Leading up to the treatment I had been wet shaving every day for about a year. The transition of going from someone who has to shave because they lost their hair, to someone who looks like NW1 and decides to shave, has been somewhat difficult to go through. I didn't think it would bother me at all, but it has a bit. Its a pretty extreme look and not many people choose that hairstyle. But besides struggling a bit with looking like a guy who decides to shave, It does look good. For the first time in awhile I'm getting excited about life again instead of just feeling meh. I don't think its perfect, and I don't think it looks great in every lighting situation.. the best way I can explain it so far is like this; when looking in the mirror as a regular NW6, I liked what I saw looking back maybe 3 out of 10 times. With SMP I like what's looking back at me in the mirror maybe 7 out of 10 times, if that makes any sense.

I told 3 people before the treatment I was going to do it and they all tried to talk me out of it. After the treatment, they all said it looked great. I've made a point to leave the house without a hat on as much as possible to gauge peoples reactions and its been good so far. I've been in large department stores with very bright lights, outside, in dimly lit bars and have not received any strange looks or comments yet.

SMP won't turn blue because of the what the inks are comprised of. If you go with a SMP provider who uses SMP specific inks you won't have to worry about it changing color on you. Also, if your worried about someone being able to feel the difference, don't be. If you wet shave your head (against the grain) than there is virtually no difference between side horseshoe and top SMP even for me as a NW6.

As I mentioned, its still new to me so I'm not able to give a final review yet. I plan on writing up a testimonial in a month or two after I've lived with it for awhile.

SMP is defiantly not for everyone. Diffuse thinners are probably better off with concealers. NW2-4's are probably better off with hair transplants. But for those in the NW5-7 range, SMP is pretty much the only option right now, that or get used to living with hair loss. I too consider it a last resort. But with that being said, its a pretty great last resort to have. SMP may be a expensive tattoo, but a cheap hair loss solution.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Really interesting post, tsker.

Good luck with the SMP. You have tried everything it seems and I hope this gives you some peace and a better outlook on life. I know exactly what that meh feeling about life is. I hope you keep posting or start a new thread about your experiences with this. My only issue with this treatment is that whilst I can usually tan in the summer ok, I am very pale in the winter months - long hard climate here, so not sure how it would look on a pale skinned blue eyed guy, (although my existing hair is very dark)

Enjoying reading the perceptions on hats. I am a receding NW3-5/pretty much 4, with diffuse now. I have gone through the cycle (apart from a transplant).

22/started receding I grew the hair out - worked until that NW1/2 ended up in a NW3.

25 noticed my hair was slowly thinning at the back - concelear work(s)/ed but now at a crucial point. Even got to a stage where I would wear sweatbands for playing sport.

28 got fed up of thinning and ****ty receding hair. Tried a wig. I lasted a day in it - it was more my fault than the wig, but I kept over thinking. In those 20 odd hours I had it on my head, I deliberately went shopping into the mall, the main street, and brightly lit dept stores to see if I got looks/stares at the hair - I didn't, and even got carded when I decided to order a beer in the evening. I just couldn't handle it at the time.

28, decided to shave my head after the wig episode. I am/was even more so back then skinny, and whilst it was a massive relief. No more concealer, sweat bands, hats, wigs, social anxiety about going to places where I may have to take my hat off etc. I got mostly good feedback although I have large ears, and it was summer. I felt older though, and it felt awkward wearing things like flannel shirts, hoodies - ended up wearing more sweaters, or plain clothes.

Then I quit a job and went traveling for a few months. I grew the hair back in gradually in between caps. I have always had caps, beanies, sweatbands, whatever at the time of hair loss needed to wear.

And now back to the start again. I work and have worked jobs often outdoors, on my own, or from home - so have been lucky that I could wear a cap when I wasn't feeling it, but there certainly is an awkwardness to wearing a cap a lot. And for the last few years, when I need to - social functions, meeting people, I cut up that wig and made two frontal hair pieces, with some liberal concealer.

After experimenting with a few options, I'm now basically using everything! Sometimes I'll even through a beanie over the top of the two frontal pieces - if I cannot be bothered with concealer.

You ain't deceiving anyone. People will be curious as to why you continue to have a hat on 24/7. Wearing a hat is not a solution, it like concealers is a stop gap for a short period. You need to research, and decide what option you feel is best for you. You may end up getting social anxiety/nervous about situations like going to a bar (where they may have a dress code, and you'll need to take that cap off), you'll never feel comfortable dating unless you tell your date everything or she is very understanding. Wearing hats constantly will also draw more attention to you than not

I have been in a couple of situations through the years where I've taken a hat off. Once after a night of chatting to a girl at a party then it came off - let's say things weren't the same and she didn't seem as interested as she once thought.

It sucks really because there is no one size fits all solution for everyone.

blackg

Reaction score
It sucks really because there is no one size fits all solution for everyone.
THIS!!!! The just shave it, brah's really need to get this through their unimaginative minds.

alphamale

Reaction score
women use make up
they are not that good-looking. they are frauding.

They make US think they are good-looking when they are not.

why can't we make them think we have hair? are we held to higher moral standards of being honest and keeping it "real"?

what the **** guys

62932b05271431c034a8c189b4b2ad5b_story.jpg

d45788afaa056d44b00b12811fc4693b_story.jpg

blackg

Reaction score
They look better without the make up. I like natural looking skin.