Skin Needling

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My last dermaroller knockoff, MTS roller, stayed perfectly sharp for around 10 months. I too apply topicals immediately after needling, as the puncture wounds only stay open for a fairly brief period, like an hour or two.

xxenergyxx

Reaction score
AAA: a question for Joseph or anyone else would help me:

- in this topic we all try skin needling and his association with topical lotions.
I want to know how many between us tried dermaheal with dermaroller and if they saw any result.

Your experiences are very important for me, I hope everyone reading this message will help me in my research!

Thanks to everyone!

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
so what depth needler should i start with?

i'm going to buy from ebay, which one of these:

0.5mm 1.0mm or 1.5mm ???

JWM

Reaction score
Joseph,

Did I read correctly? You apply retin-a cream BEFORE minoxidil? Aren't you concerned that the cream will form a slight barrier, preventing minoxidil from being absorbed?

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
where do you guys buy your rollers? do you think these ones they sell on ebay for like $12 are crap or do you think they'll get the job done?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd just add my experience dermarolling with minoxidil.

Been doing it for a few weeks. 5% minoxidil 2x daily, once with needling before bedneedling once daily). My hair was growing in nicely, but I was also on finasteride so who knows..

I just recently stopped dermarolling, because my face was looking like hell. My forehead wrinkles were puffed and deep, and I got dark baggy eyes also. At first I was freaking cause I thought it was the finasteride...But alas the issues resolved after a few days of halting the needling(but still continuing the minoxidil). I look back to normal now, but I imagine over the long term the effects might become harder to reverse.

Unless you are desperate I would not recommend dermarolling with minoxidil. Mostly because it was found that 4% min is the maximum effective dose anyway(i saw a study somewhere, sorry I didnt bother looking for it now). And to be honest, I have never had any success with higher dose minoxidil(i was on 10% for a bit, I've also tried double dose 5%, and all sorts of other combos).

Also in the time I was derma rolling with minoxidil I got mad hairy hands...hahah sick.

One thing I would suggest, is trying derma rolling on its own, in between minoxidil treatments(the holes are supposed to close up in about an hour. I believe it could rejuvenate the scarring of the hair follicles that lead to finer hairs, and needling is known to aid hairloss on its own anyway.

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
just ordered my first roller....should be using it by this time next week.
Got it off ebay....do these things usually come with instructions? I have no idea how many times im supposed to roll this thing on my head. And is it safe to roll it through hair? is it like gonna pull out existing hair?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
flamingpie said:
just ordered my first roller....should be using it by this time next week.
Got it off ebay....do these things usually come with instructions? I have no idea how many times im supposed to roll this thing on my head. And is it safe to roll it through hair? is it like gonna pull out existing hair?

Its pretty simple. mine came with instructions. You roll it over the same spot at different directions. You can adjust the pressure you use. If you press too hard it will cause some bleeding, but that is mostly useful for getting rid of acne scarring or deep wrinkles. For minoxidil application you dont want it to bleed, but the area will turn pink/red.

Its safe to go over hair, and will not pull it out unless it gets tangled. its best to part the hair where you are needling, unless your hair is sufficiently short that it does not matter.

Good luck.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Bit of an update:

Noticed a couple of new hairs along the front of my hairline, that were not there before. I generally only keep notice of this part as it's the most visable for me to see...Hopefully this means there is also new hair in other places like my crown, which I can't keep too close an eye on. My temples appear to be closing also, nothing amazing, but slow and steady new thin colourless hair appears, then turns dark in colour, although the new hair on the temples is still thin, as opposed to the new hair at the front which is terminal

Been using the derma roller for 3 1/2 months now 2x a week only, ocassionally I use emu oil with it as well, normally adding the emu oil once a week, and i'm a big fan of it, especially for a dry scalp.

All in all I definitely believe the derma roller works, just like the OP stated, and for me to be seeing new hair, although modest after 8 years of the big 3, is a very encouraging sign.

ps. I also use hair signals, 6 drops mixed with my minoxidil, for 18 months now, and I feel this also helps, and as it's only a few drops in my minoxidil it's no bother to me using it every day. I also only use minoxidil once a day...dropped from 2X about four years ago with no noticeable loss.

Petchsky

Reaction score
0.5mm from ebay :)

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm also using the .5mm from ebay. 1x /week for now (also bought a 1.0mm).

used it about 3 times so far.

no minoxidil, no finasteride. used fresh aloe after needling, will be rotating with vitamin-a.
too early to say if it works, will keep at it.

bben

Reaction score
I ordered one from eBay the other day should be here in a few days. Hopefully this + finasteride + Rogaine will get some regrowth.. :)

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
just got mine that I ordered from ebay.
A little disappointed with the crappy packaging...and it came with no instructions.
How often am i supposed to clean this thing, and how do you clean it?

bben

Reaction score
I finally got mine through the post yesterday so will be starting with it tonight probably. Hopefully it helps :)

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I still use mine everyday but I've no idea if its helping, I've 100% lost ground in 'the battle' this past month but then I've stopped taking minoxidil.

The best my hair has looked since I started this sh*t was when I was using nizoral and needling everyday only, no sheds or loss, just maintenance.

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
IUbball22 said:
i dip it in isopropyl alcohol to sterilize it. its very cheap, like a dollar.

so far ive only been soaking it in boiling water...is that ok for now?
Also i read someone say they put their's in the dishwasher...is that a safe way to clean it?

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone got any updates with their skin needling? any success?

Ive been doing it for like 3 months twice a week and i havent any regrowth

bben

Reaction score
I've also been doing it for about 3 months, probably about twice a week too. I don't think there's been any regrowth but I think it's strengthened the hairs slightly and helped shedding a little.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
130841225938.gif

I was just given a microroller. I had not heard of it before but read some promising things. It seems like they have been around for years with mixed reviews but I found the increased product absorption feature too good to pass up. I currently use minoxidil in the mornings and Revivogen in the evenings. I am going to wash my hair before bed, use the microneedle for a minute, and put on Revivogen. I will probably do the needling 4 or 5 times a week and continue the minoxidil and Revivogen every day. I did it for the first time last night and had no problems. The pain was minimal.

I will keep you updated.