Skin Needling

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This works tremendously for increasing absorption of topicals, such as minoxidil. For the first time since my early twenties, the natural part in my hair has reappeared. I never thought I'd see it again. Also, my hair where it's been needled looks much more luxurious and shiny.

And where the Retin-A/minoxidil combo has been a little slow to grow hair density, basically my crown, needling has helped to fill in nicely. In fact, needling has also helped to grow more little vellous hairs along my hairline; and at this point, it's not even like my hairline is that lacking in density.

As far as the needling procedure itself.... yes, it's slightly irritating and can be a little painful at first. But after a while your skin adapts, and you become used to the whole procedure, in general. I definitely recommend that anyone gives this a shot with their minoxidil treatment. Just make sure to always keep everything sterilized to avoid infection.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
This works tremendously for increasing absorption of topicals, such as minoxidil. For the first time since my early twenties, the natural part in my hair has reappeared. I never thought I'd see it again. Also, my hair where it's been needled looks much more luxurious and shiny.

And where the Retin-A/minoxidil combo has been a little slow to grow hair density, basically my crown, needling has helped to fill in nicely. In fact, needling has also helped to grow more little vellous hairs along my hairline; and at this point, it's not even like my hairline is that lacking in density.

As far as the needling procedure itself.... yes, it's slightly irritating and can be a little painful at first. But after a while your skin adapts, and you become used to the whole procedure, in general. I definitely recommend that anyone gives this a shot with their minoxidil treatment. Just make sure to always keep everything sterilized to avoid infection.

Sounds gross/painful to stand in your bathroom "needling" your hair. I think I'll pass,thanks.

What if the needle lands right at a hairfollicle and destroys it?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
WorldofWarcraft said:
Sounds gross/painful to stand in your bathroom "needling" your hair. I think I'll pass,thanks.

What if the needle lands right at a hairfollicle and destroys it?

I sit in front of the computer screen, actually. :) Though maybe it's just not for you. Although, it's not gross at all, and fairly quick. After a while, it even feels invigorating. My philosophy is: if it works with minimal damage, it works. In fact, I like anything that increases absorption and has a long-lasting effect, it maximizes your time and effort, as well as extends the length of time between applications.

Anyone who's interested, look for a product called Dermaroller. By the way, the needle doesn't migrate very far past the epidermis, much less near the follicle.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
newcell said:
How long have you been needling for?

Do you use minoxidil right after needling?

I've been needling for around 3 months now. On days that I use minoxidil alone, I will apply it immediately after needling.

Although, for the last two weeks, I've limited myself to using a needling/Retin-a/minoxidil combo every other day, and continue to make progress. And I can definitely live with a 4x a week application schedule if this indeed pans out. It means less time worrying about my hair, and more time just enjoying life.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i know some people don't agree with needling but i have also read some pretty good resources and documented progress with peoples needling treatments and i think it works. basically you inflame the area with in turn brings blood and oxygen to the scalp which help the hair grow, some think it helps absorb minoxidil as well.

i took a white eraser, put 3 really long pin-tacks through, have them stick out 1mm or so on the other side, attatch it to your finger and you can just tap away at your scalp for a minute or so, once you get the right depth you won't bleed at all.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dietcola said:
i know some people don't agree with needling but i have also read some pretty good resources and documented progress with peoples needling treatments and i think it works. basically you inflame the area with in turn brings blood and oxygen to the scalp which help the hair grow, some think it helps absorb minoxidil as well.

i took a white eraser, put 3 really long pin-tacks through, have them stick out 1mm or so on the other side, attatch it to your finger and you can just tap away at your scalp for a minute or so, once you get the right depth you won't bleed at all.

Thanks for the feedback. I just didn't see enough skin needling discussions on this forum. And the few existing threads were mostly negative. But I certainly think it's a topic worthy for discussion, just based on the few personal successes reported throuhout the Internet alone.

Basically minoxidil grew lots of hair for me; but it also left my hair looking ratty. Retin-a/minoxidil made my hair look much more vibrant and manageable, and finally started filling in my crown better. But with needling: after getting out of the shower, and seeing my natural part in the mirror -- after all these years -- well, it nearly floored me. Needling has basically taken me to the next level, without realizing this level ever existed. I also notice my hair falls naturally into a more rigid and feathered pattern than before.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dietcola said:

Now why didn't I think of that?!?! It's so simple compared to any of my brain storming solutions.

I actually purchased the Novaderm Scalp & Skin roller today. It has 96 0.75 mm needles. The derm that made it says to use for 1.5 minutes per day and apply minoxidil right after.

I had given needling a go in the past, but I felt it took too long to do properly (to hear the pop), and was too easy to go too deep and make myself bleed. I needled consistently 3x/week for maybe 3 weeks and gave up. In the mean time, I had been trying to figure a way out to make needling easier...Guess I'm lazy, so I just bought the scalp/skin roller. :)

powersam

Reaction score
well the novaderm people did publish a study which showed weekly needling to a depth of 0.6mm increased collagen production in the skin by around 1000%. you have to take these results with a grain of salt as they manufacture a needling device themselves but i feel the idea has merit.

powersam

Reaction score
would fight off the thinning of the skin which quite a few studies have reported in the scalps of men with male pattern baldness. one french study claimed that it was the thinning of hte skin alone that caused baldness, dht etc just caused the thinning skin.

powersam

Reaction score
who knows. the study just said premature thinning of the skin.