Skin Needling

powersam

Reaction score
you need one with needles between 0.6 and 0.7mm long needles, many have 0.3 and that is a waste of time. at least thats what the one study i remember said.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what I've heard as well. I think the Novaderm roller is the only one that has needles of the appropriate length. But I'm wondering if just getting a hypodermic needling would be the way to go because it's so cheap.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Why is there so little interest in this? Based on the anecdotal reports I've seen this actually seems like one of the more promising 'treatments'.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm gettin that 0.5mm one in my link above as soon as I get some extra money (It's like $125.00)!

I plan on starting the needling on the 1st of September.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
mulder said:
Why is there so little interest in this? Based on the anecdotal reports I've seen this actually seems like one of the more promising 'treatments'.

Maybe people don't like sticking needles in their heads.

But anyway I think you are right. I have the feeling that you need something more rigorous then just a topical cream or pill to get some real regrowth on places hair has been gone for a while. (if possible at all)

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Well after reading all the anecdotal reports of success and pretty much no one screaming about hair loss or infection because of it I went ahead and got the Novaderm roller- using a single needle seems like it would take too long and is a little too impercise. The novaderm seems to be about the proper length for this to work- 0.75 mm needles on the roller. Bought it for about $100 USD on ebay.

Silverfox

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been trying needling for about 1.5 months with just a single drawing pin. I have seen new fuzzy hairs around my hairline where I needle. This methods works, althoug my eyes water like mad afterwards!

But I have questions. Will I have to needle forever to keep the new hair once it grows? Can needling cause any damage if used long term? What about infection?

Any replies welcome.

Silverfox

IBM

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures to show the regrowth with needling method?

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A drawing pin?!

Why not just go to the pharmacy and buy a real needle/syringe?

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
That company that sells the "Microneedle" that is in the link I posted above requires me to fill out and mail in a certification form of "professional clinical status" for the CR5 model that I want (0.5mm). Only the CR2 (0.2mm) and CR3 (.03mm) models are available to the personal consumer which, according to everyone here, are not worth using.

I know that you can get a dermaroller that's 0.75mm but I don't want that one. The MTS microneedle rollers are FAR higher quality and the CR5 (.05mm) model is actually cheaper ($88.00).

I think this requirement of theirs is retarded, since anyone can go to ebay and get a much more "dangerous" one. However, I don't want to falsify a document (even though they probably don't verify).

Does anyone here have some type of "professional clinical status" that would be willing to certify and order this thing for me? I would gladly pay you the $35.00 difference in what I would have to for the "consumer" model.

paa5

Reaction score
Renegade - what makes you say that the MTS needles are of higher quality? (I assume it's do with the metal that's used, and I don't understand the science there.) I looked on the web site & didn't see a price for the .5mm needle; how'd you find you out that it's $88? also, the web site says that the "clinical" needle (the 0.5mm one) is good for only 10 applications and then must be replaced. see this this page, down at the bottom:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:pO ... =clnk&cd=1

and in that case, the $88 doesn't seem like such a great buy. Unless you have reason to doubt that that is really necessary.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
Good eye! I didn't catch that. Definitely not worth it then. I revoke my stupid request for someone's certification. Okay, back to Google/Ebay now!

powersam

Reaction score
i think novaderm was the brand most decided on

Silverfox

Reaction score
blaze said:
A drawing pin?!

Why not just go to the pharmacy and buy a real needle/syringe?

Firstly because it does the job, secondly I am a tight arse and don't like arting with money! :lol:

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
Bump - Got another question about this needling thing:

The science behind it is based on the wounding/healing that supposedly triggers regrowth. So, where does that leave the inflamation factor. Wouldn't doing this cause inflammation (which is said to be a major factor of male pattern baldness) and hurt more than help? Please discuss.

BTW - Mulder, have you received/used your dermaroller yet? If so, please tell us what you think. Pain, blood, everything!

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for my roller to arrive...I think it'll take a couple more weeks.

The explanations I've seen for why it might works focus on two possible mechanisms. Mulching up old fibrosis, increasing vascularization and encouraging new collagen; or increasing the ability of topicals to penetrate the scalp... Most people using it seem to think it has more to do with the former.

commanda

Reaction score
In Chinese medicine it's called a Plum Blossom Hammer. Google search will turn up lots of info.

I've just got an eraser with one sewing needle, and just started using it.