Scalp itch - anyone have genuine success?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Are you familiar with 'burning scalp syndrome'?My dad was diagnosed wth that by a very respected? doctor in the Northeast.He was suffering,but he kept most of his hair until his 60s,He was always scratching his scalp,but he was OK when he was lying down.
Burning and itching are not the same symptoms. For example, itchy eyes is more likely due to allergy. Burning eyes is more likely to do with either a toxic reaction to some type of chemical or drop that gets in your eyes or dry eyes. I would equated burning to a possible dry scalp.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
No psoriasis or dermatitis or dandruff,his sca;p was super clean.It was a deep itch,thats what he was saying.
Could be deep in his scalp and not visible at the surface. Or possible some type of reaction neurological in his ganglion cells.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Bro no lie when i got on oral dutasteride and Topical my burning sensation i had on and off near one place only on crown and slight itch on front and hairline totally vanished. Its also hormone related. Other guys say the same. I didnt use ketoconazole only oral dutasteride and Topical. Even now on only oral i still experience no itch or burning sensation. Also my diet wasnt changed at all.
If I am not mistaken could dutasteride have some type of anti-inflammatory mechanism as it blocks DHT? For example although tetracycline or doxycycline are both antibiotics they actually have an anti-inflammatory mechanism as well so it's used for acne and acne rosacea as well as gum disease.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
M
Could be deep in his scalp and not visible at the surface. Or possible some type of reaction neurological in his ganglion cells.

So,from the medical perspective there is no resolution to that,and there is only speculation.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
M

So,from the medical perspective there is no resolution to that,and there is only speculation.
Yes, it would be considered idiopathic as they say in medicine. I guess he would need a deep scalp biopsy but who wants to mess with that. It would be interesting if he took an oral course of Prednisone and see if it helps for a short period of time.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it would be considered idiopathic as they say in medicine. I guess he would need a deep scalp biopsy but who wants to mess with that. It would be interesting if he took an oral course of Prednisone and see if it helps for a short period of time.
Just called,they gave him Doxepin,it worked for 3 days,that was it.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Just called,they gave him Doxepin,it worked for 3 days,that was it.
That is an anti-depressant so poor choice. I would have tried a low dose of Prednisone for two weeks and see how he does.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They did a scalp biopsy as well-l dont know how deep-Dr. said everything was negative

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
They did a scalp biopsy as well-l dont know how deep-Dr. said everything was negative
Doxepin is basically saying you are a hypochondriac so take this medication and it will help.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, so many people report itch pre finasteride and no itch post finasteride…. Either everyone on here is nuts or DHT causes itchy scalp!
derms don’t ever say that’s a thing though. I wish someone would study/verify it. Would be a great finding for diagnosing purposes.
Androgens increase reactive oxygen species in the scalp, which cause itching and hair loss. That's where all the cascade start: DHT > ROS > Itching / cells destruction

You need to reduces ROS in your scalp by using tstrong topical antioxidants (glutathione, melatonine, resveratrol, vitamine c) and to reduce androgens in your scalp (fina/keto/RU ect)

ninarosshairtherapy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, according to me, you first need to identify to find out the exact cause of your scalp itch. If you come to know the exact reason, then it'll be easy to treat your scalp itch by addressing that particular reason.

No worries if your dermatologist hasn't told you about the exact cause for your itch, I'll tell you a few of them. There are possibly two reasons for scalp itch:

1. The first one is your hair product choices. Some hair products dry out the scalp and lead to intense itching if you don't moisturize. Switch to more holistic and natural hair products that don't have so many chemicals in them.

2. The second reason is that you may be suffering from scalp issues like dandruff, folliculitis, scalp psoriasis, and scalp eczema. These conditions cause dry and flaky skin on your scalp which directly contributes to itching.

Do you have dandruff or any other such condition?

By identifying and dealing with the underlying problem, you can take control of your itch. Try to figure out the reason for your itch and try to visit a functional medicine doctor who'll be able to look at your body as a whole and will be able to tell you the root cause of your health issues.

Hope this will help you :)