Saw Palmetto, A Weak Finasteride, Studies And My Experience.

noveau22

My Regimen
Reaction score
man I got the 500 mg saw palmetto complex. Mostly powder and 25% extract. For 2 days been having slight stomach ache. It is bearable but I don't want any bad side effects :X I wonder if I should continue and see if the side effects go away.

Just watched a video that I should get the 85 to 95% extract and that 320 mg is the goal daily...:| and I might buy beta sitosterol as well.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
man I got the 500 mg saw palmetto complex. Mostly powder and 25% extract. For 2 days been having slight stomach ache. It is bearable but I don't want any bad side effects :X I wonder if I should continue and see if the side effects go away.

Just watched a video that I should get the 85 to 95% extract and that 320 mg is the goal daily...:| and I might buy beta sitosterol as well.

Take the saw palmetto with meals. It will help with stomach pain

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
does saw palmetto gives you low semen and watery jizz ? (im usinf 1 daily x 320 MG SAW PALMETTO / 500 mg pumpkin seed oil / 15 mg zinc) all in one pill

I never got it anyway.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using it for over two years, just ensure it’s over 80% fat and sterols, read my original post for my regime.

If the product doesn’t mention fat and sterol content don’t buy it.

You can expect results that are about half as good as finasteride, and about half the risk of side effects.

Why are so important fat and sterols ? If what block the dht is saw palmetto. I dont understand.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im taking 300mg of saw palmetto since February and it did absolutely nothing. My advice is dont waste time and money with this sh*t

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone experience a sudden and increased shedding when stopped Saw Palmetto ?( with sudden I mean after 2-3 days) thanks

Rodolphe Grenier

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey shiny domes
I've noticed since one year ago that i was going bald, at 22. I tried a few things, especially a mix of essential oils, that didn't seem to do much for me. I didn't want to jump on the finasteride because of the dik breaking risks, as i don't really need my hair anymore if it doesn't work. Especially having had some occasionnal dead dick, didn't want to risk it. Minoxidil seemed to have temporary effects, so i didn't want to try that either, whatever.
A few months ago i read about the saw palmetto having 1/2 of the finasteride effects without all the crazy stories, and i bought it as it was really cheap. I rapidly started to see that i seemed to be losing much much less hair on top, whereas previously everytime i shampooed the balding part of my head my hands were covered by 50+ hairs, scary as f***. Now i see 5 to 10, same as the rest of my head.
Also i could pass my hands through my hair and grab 3-4 hairs everytime, now it doesn't do that anymore.
I have been taking it for two months, and haven't had any balding slowdown any other time this year. I don't know if this is gonna last or anything, but as i had basically given up on my hair and was planning to buy hairpieces in a few years waiting for the hair cloning miracle, this gives me a lot of hope.
For those who wonder i'm taking the vit4ever 3000 extract, i took 2 pills a day ( they recommend 3 ) which does 300mg of extract, which was the dosage i read on the study that showed the 35% decrease on DHT.
Good day

Edit : I'm probably something like norwood 2.5

Last edited:

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've done a decent amount of research on Saw Palmetto, I've concluded that it's a weak 5ar inhibitor about half as effective as finasteride for both reducing DHT and halting hair loss. It may be worthwhile for people who got sides from finasteride (like myself).

Although it should be noted that sides are also possible from SP although I'd reckon about half as likely and half as strong. (Complete guess but all studies so far have shown less sides than finasteride)

I take 320mg 90% fatty acids and sterols everyday for 3 months. So far I've noticed decreased shedding (could be completely minoxidil related started both at the same time) and an increased libido. I will post back at the year mark!

It was used as a treatment for BPH, which is what finasteride was developed for. There are studies in vitro and studies on people showing that it inhibits DHT and helps with BPH and male pattern baldness.

Two year study, oral SP compared with finasteride.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23298508

>assessing usage of 320mg saw palmetto over the course of two years in otherwise healthy men with male pattern baldness noted that 38% of subjects treated with saw palmetto reported an increase in hair growth which performed less effectively than 1mg finasteride (66%);

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12006122

>The liposterolic extract of saw palmetto (200mg of 85-95% liposterolic content) paired with 50mg β-sitosterol and some B-vitamins (Biotin at 100mcg and niacin at 15mg) in 10 otherwise healthy men with androgenic alopecia over the course of 18-24.7 weeks found that 60% of the subjects had their hair improved (blinded investigator-assessed) compared to one subject in placebo

Very recent study (2016) backing up it's effectiveness for BPH

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27186566

Another recent study showing it effective for BPH

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26817302

Recent study showing it's topically effective for hair growth over 24 weeks.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26010505

>The topical application of S. repens extract could be an alternative treatment in male pattern baldness in male patients who do not want or cannot tolerate the side-effects of standard medications, but the use of a concentrated S. repens product beyond 4 weeks may be necessary for sustained efficacy.

More

http://www.ehrs.org/conferenceabstracts/2004berlin/researchabstracts/P10-141-Fasulo.htm

>Conclusion: In accordance also with other authors, this study confirms the effectiveness of Serenoa repens extract on hair baldness such as androgenetic alopecia, especially when� connected with 5a reductase activity.

http://examine.com/supplements/saw+palmetto/

If you actually go through these you will conclude that saw palmetto works about half as well as finasteride for BPH and male pattern baldness and block about half as much DHT in vitro and prostatic tissue than finasteride.

If there are any opposing or supporting studies you know off I'd love to see them.
Bro you started minoxidil and saw palmetto at the same time. You can't determine how or if SP is beneficial when you take the #2 rated hairloss treatment alongside.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey shiny domes
I've noticed since one year ago that i was going bald, at 22. I tried a few things, especially a mix of essential oils, that didn't seem to do much for me. I didn't want to jump on the finasteride because of the dik breaking risks, as i don't really need my hair anymore if it doesn't work. Especially having had some occasionnal dead dick, didn't want to risk it. Minoxidil seemed to have temporary effects, so i didn't want to try that either, whatever.
A few months ago i read about the saw palmetto having 1/2 of the finasteride effects without all the crazy stories, and i bought it as it was really cheap. I rapidly started to see that i seemed to be losing much much less hair on top, whereas previously everytime i shampooed the balding part of my head my hands were covered by 50+ hairs, scary as f***. Now i see 5 to 10, same as the rest of my head.
Also i could pass my hands through my hair and grab 3-4 hairs everytime, now it doesn't do that anymore.
I have been taking it for two months, and haven't had any balding slowdown any other time this year. I don't know if this is gonna last or anything, but as i had basically given up on my hair and was planning to buy hairpieces in a few years waiting for the hair cloning miracle, this gives me a lot of hope.
For those who wonder i'm taking the vit4ever 3000 extract, i took 2 pills a day ( they recommend 3 ) which does 300mg of extract, which was the dosage i read on the study that showed the 35% decrease on DHT.
Good day

Edit : I'm probably something like norwood 2.5
Interesting post , me that I am 19 when I started 160mg extract on the fourth day I felt softer erection and I cut it immediately, then somehow hair have thinned more than usual , maybe spiked the dht , I don’t know .. hope the best for you though

Aethas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maca is as effective as finasteride to treat dht related probleme while normalizing your hormone and giving you great libido! It quite helped when i try it for hair loss!

Hope this help

MrTambourine

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maca is as effective as finasteride to treat dht related probleme while normalizing your hormone and giving you great libido! It quite helped when i try it for hair loss!

Hope this help

What? Could you quote any study on this? It's the first time ever that I read that Maca might affect DHT!

Also, how can it affect BOTH DHT and libido positively? There seems to be a inverse correlation, as with finasteride...

Yes, I have tried it and for libido I agree it does a lot lol

INT

Reaction score

Hope this help

Wtf... Stop posting BS like this please. Had a look at your posting history and it is literally filled with posts like this.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro you started minoxidil and saw palmetto at the same time. You can't determine how or if SP is beneficial when you take the #2 rated hairloss treatment alongside.

I know, I can never really know if it's doing anything. I took it in a panic, and my hair is still doing OK. That's all I know.

It has deteriorated a little, especially on the temples, and I'm considering topical finasteride. But for the moment I'm stuck with this. I also use nizoral (properly, leaving in for 5 min) every second day.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
does anyone know this product is good?

10.jpg
11.jpg

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let's approach this logically.

How does finasteride work? It reduces dht levels by inhibiting 5-alpha reductase type II
How does saw palmetto work? It reduces dht levels by inhibiting 5-alpha reductase type II
The more you inhibit 5-alpha reductase, the less hair loss you will have
So it follows that the side effects and results from using saw palmetto will be the same as from using finasteride.
If 580 mg of saw palmetto reduces dht by 20%, and .10 mg of finasteride also lowers dht by 20% then they will have the exact same
effect on your hair, and on your libido. Taking saw palmetto is not a way to get results while avoiding side effects. You likely won't get any side effects, but you won't get any results either. You'd need a higher dose to inhibit 5-alpha reductase enough to protect your hair, and at that dose you'd get the same side effects that you would from finasteride.
thank u for the reply...

Just wanted to know if anyone tried the mentioned product.