Saw Palmetto, A Weak Finasteride, Studies And My Experience.

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey SmoothSailing, any updates on the SP?

Ive been taking it now for about 3 months and my hair is as thin as its ever been in the front... starting to get worried this stuff isnt for me. I'm not having a big shed but the thinning hair in front is really worrysome.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Updates from anyone trying saw palmetto here?
I'm interested to know how things are going.

Still taking Saw Palmetto, more than a year later my hair is far better than it was when I begun.

It's impossible to know if the Saw Palmetto is actually doing much, as I started minoxidil and nizoral at the same time. But I've kept my minoxidil gains, and overall I'm very happy with my hair as it currently is.

The only thing that worries me is reading about other people who start losing their min gains after 2 years, I'm hoping that the Saw Palmetto will extend this.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still taking Saw Palmetto, more than a year later my hair is far better than it was when I begun.

It's impossible to know if the Saw Palmetto is actually doing much, as I started minoxidil and nizoral at the same time. But I've kept my minoxidil gains, and overall I'm very happy with my hair as it currently is.

The only thing that worries me is reading about other people who start losing their min gains after 2 years, I'm hoping that the Saw Palmetto will extend this.

Great to hear, how old are you btw?

How dense was your hair pre treatment?

Have you had any gains beyond the 6 month mark, or are you just maintaining at this stage?

How often do you apply minoxidil, and what type and concentration are you using?

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great to hear, how old are you btw?

How dense was your hair pre treatment?

Have you had any gains beyond the 6 month mark, or are you just maintaining at this stage?

How often do you apply minoxidil, and what type and concentration are you using?

I'm 24.

Pre-treatment my hairline was very weak, it's density had shot down over the course of about 2 years, giving me an NW2.5 with quite thin slow growing hair. I could no longer style it in any hiding manner. I had received comments from friends and family (all knowing that my Dad lost his hair at around the same age now an NW7). Upon inspection I noted that my temples had receded considerably, I had a lot of miniaturised hair, a lot of the hair I did have on my hairline was thin and colourless.

I responded greatly to treatment (likely mostly to the min), after about 6 months of treatment I had regrown many new hairs which were now cosmetically relevant, my thin hairs had thickened up significantly. In fact all my hair thickened somewhat prompting my mother to ask if I had died my hair darker. I then started growing it out more (my hair is curly) and was able to completely hide my now NW2. The only place that didn't improve was the actually balded parts of my temples, but this is now easily hidden.

Since that 6 month mark there certainly hasn't been any major improvement, then again there isn't much to improve on (I think people rarely go from NW2 to NW1). There might have been some improvement although I now grow my hair out and no longer constantly stress over it so I don't know. It certainly hasn't got worse.

5% min twice a day, miss on average one application a week. I started with the foam, then switched to liquid after about 8 months as it was easier when travelling. I used it for 6 months but am now switching back to the foam which is far easier to apply and doesn't make my hair look nearly as bad as the liquid version.

I also use nizoral every 3 days and take zinc supplementation. I've no idea how much each form of treatment is actually responsible for my success so I just continue them all.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 24.

Pre-treatment my hairline was very weak, it's density had shot down over the course of about 2 years, giving me an NW2.5 with quite thin slow growing hair. I could no longer style it in any hiding manner. I had received comments from friends and family (all knowing that my Dad lost his hair at around the same age now an NW7). Upon inspection I noted that my temples had receded considerably, I had a lot of miniaturised hair, a lot of the hair I did have on my hairline was thin and colourless.

I responded greatly to treatment (likely mostly to the min), after about 6 months of treatment I had regrown many new hairs which were now cosmetically relevant, my thin hairs had thickened up significantly. In fact all my hair thickened somewhat prompting my mother to ask if I had died my hair darker. I then started growing it out more (my hair is curly) and was able to completely hide my now NW2. The only place that didn't improve was the actually balded parts of my temples, but this is now easily hidden.

Since that 6 month mark there certainly hasn't been any major improvement, then again there isn't much to improve on (I think people rarely go from NW2 to NW1). There might have been some improvement although I now grow my hair out and no longer constantly stress over it so I don't know. It certainly hasn't got worse.

5% min twice a day, miss on average one application a week. I started with the foam, then switched to liquid after about 8 months as it was easier when travelling. I used it for 6 months but am now switching back to the foam which is far easier to apply and doesn't make my hair look nearly as bad as the liquid version.

I also use nizoral every 3 days and take zinc supplementation. I've no idea how much each form of treatment is actually responsible for my success so I just continue them all.

Cheers, thanks, Im 40 now, and have tried everything from the very moment I discovered my hair thinning at 19/20. That being minoxidil with retin a, and proscar (as propecia was not approved at the time). Anyhow I had success with everything, sides effects aside, and have maintained with zix for the most part. I'd love to get a boost with minoxidil, which definitely worked in the past. I wonder if given my male pattern baldness started 20 years ago, means I'll have limited success though. My thought is that with zix, Ive been holding my loss at bay, will maintain the gains that minoxidil will bring.

Just tinkering a bit with my formula, but I think I may try it in a month, assuming things remain status quo.

Thanks for the reply.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Saw palmetto is trash in Androgenetic Alopecia and lmao, ppl even get side effects from it like massive acne.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Saw palmetto is trash in Androgenetic Alopecia and lmao, ppl even get side effects from it like massive acne.

Thanks for your opinion. Do you have any stories, experiences or studies to back it up?

stupidkoko

Reaction score

Ty for the responses. I read from your first post that you experienced side effects from finasteride (as I did), but do you experience any side effects from the saw palmetto you've been taking for all this time? Have you taken any breaks as to just see if you feel different?

I haven't used minoxidil at all exactly because of that reason.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ty for the responses. I read from your first post that you experienced side effects from finasteride (as I did), but do you experience any side effects from the saw palmetto you've been taking for all this time? Have you taken any breaks as to just see if you feel different?

I haven't used minoxidil at all exactly because of that reason.

No I didn't notice any sides, certainly no problem with my libido.

Never took a proper break though, longest was two weeks but didn't notice anything.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What makes you say that?

Saw Palmetto is just a supplement the industry is trying to get some money off, thus the contrary study papers. Also: I havent seen any results but I read people complaining about adverse effects.

The ultimate solutions gonna be of chemical nature. And most natural solutions come with too much stuff you dont need, so even there a synthetical solution is often preferable. And there are already so many anti-androgens, I am not sure what makes people still cling to this questionable natural solutions. But well, choose your poison to yourself, I personally just dont wanna see newbies come here and think finasteride grows tits and the nature is going to safe them safely with saw palmetto. Thats just making wrong promises or however you wanna call it.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Saw Palmetto is just a supplement the industry is trying to get some money off, thus the contrary study papers. Also: I havent seen any results but I read people complaining about adverse effects.

The ultimate solutions gonna be of chemical nature. And most natural solutions come with too much stuff you dont need, so even there a synthetical solution is often preferable. And there are already so many anti-androgens, I am not sure what makes people still cling to this questionable natural solutions. But well, choose your poison to yourself, I personally just dont wanna see newbies come here and think finasteride grows tits and the nature is going to safe them safely with saw palmetto. Thats just making wrong promises or however you wanna call it.

So studies have found that it's not effective?

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So studies have found that it's not effective?

When I was interested into it, or better said licorice I read a review paper and it stated that the results of studies had been not clear, sometimes it was considered effective sometimes it was concluded being not effective. I dont have the link, but ofc it should be still around. Just get your own impression.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was interested into it, or better said licorice I read a review paper and it stated that the results of studies had been not clear, sometimes it was considered effective sometimes it was concluded being not effective. I dont have the link, but ofc it should be still around. Just get your own impression.
The studies I read indicated effectiveness, albeit not nearly as effective as finasteride.

himynameisj

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was thinking about giving this a shot, what do you guys think? Anyone else tried this?

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score