R.I.P MICHAEL JACKSON :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
ClayShaw said:
Not to side track this discussion, but I would argue that "serious" music has been produced in nearly every genre, including pop.

There is a lot of great music out there...you just have to dig for it.

Could not agree more.

yvakin

Banned
Reaction score
dudemon said:
But, I used to make exceptions for metal bands that weren't into spandex to begin with, and then started wearing it probably because they were told they had to (Metallica, Slayer, etc...).

Metallica rocks!!! :punk: :punk:

dudemon said:
Even back in the 80's I thought MJ was one the gayest acts I had ever seen. His "moonwalk" crap was retarded, and just about anybody can do it. His "thriller" thing was retarded.
You said it! :punk:

s.a.f

Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
The idea that the only "serious" music was made by dead Europeans is patently false. There are rock bands (mostly metal) around now that are writing music exactly the same way the dead Europeans did.

Man I bet Bryans teenage house parties were legendary, all those kids grooving to Chopin and Elgar.
I suppose he has'nt watched any movies either Orson Wells and Alfred Hitchcock died. None of this Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson ect crap.

Dudemon said:
Even back in the 80's I thought MJ was one the gayest acts I had ever seen. His "moonwalk" crap was retarded, and just about anybody can do it. His "thriller" thing was retarded.

No everyone thinks they can do the moonwalk. The retarded thriller is only the biggest selling album of all time. And that style of dancing/ lavish music video's is still being imitated by artists today.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Michael Jackson was not a child molester.

I was shocked and truly saddened at the news.

He did love children, and he always said he did. If you knew more about him and his life, there's not much that doesn't make sense. What's strange is why people find fondness for children in a pure friendly way as something that would ring alarm bells. He was a superstar from the age of 5, always working his dad was very strict and he was deprived a childhood. Then being divinely famous and wealthy, there would be few people besides children, ill people from other nations that could meet him as person and not 'Wacko Jacko' or a worshipping fan obsession type person.

And he was a genius in music, every genre (including pop) has it's geniuses.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, for the win!

Yes indeed. That's one of the most sheerly entertaining pieces of music ever written!

The Gardener said:
But then again, I'm a fool for virtuouso pianists...

Wow, you're a man after my own heart, Gardener!! Ever heard of Leopold Godowski, who was almost certainly the most technically proficient pianist in history?

You're familiar with Chopin's so-called "Revolutionary Etude", right? Godowski wrote his own variation of that, to be played with the left hand alone!! The guy was a FREAK pianist. We'll never see the likes of him again. He was a virtuosos' virtuoso...

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
ClayShaw said:
The idea that the only "serious" music was made by dead Europeans is patently false. There are rock bands (mostly metal) around now that are writing music exactly the same way the dead Europeans did.

Man I bet Bryans teenage house parties were legendary, all those kids grooving to Chopin and Elgar.
I suppose he has'nt watched any movies either Orson Wells and Alfred Hitchcock died. None of this Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson ect crap.

Dudemon said:

No everyone thinks they can do the moonwalk. The retarded thriller is only the biggest selling album of all time. And that style of dancing/ lavish music video's is still being imitated by artists today.

Not only that, but Michael Jackson was definitely NOT gay. He was married to two women and was never linked to a man, ever.
He might have been a pedophile, although I'm not sure. There's no evidence that he was sexually abused as a kid, and thats what it takes. Its more likely that he never had a childhood as was living vicariously through his kid friends. Weird as hell, but not criminal.
People really ought to be more sensitive about what they post on here. I'm sure there are gay posters on here. I always find it funny that racism and homophobia are A-OK on HairLossTalk.com, but we're not grown up enough to say "sh*t". Hilarious.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ClayShaw said:

Clay, I want you to find a nice, quiet place to lie down and take a good, long rest for a while. Maybe take a couple of aspirins, and put a cold compress on your forehead. I hope you'll be feeling better after a while.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
ClayShaw said:

Clay, I want you to find a nice, quiet place to lie down and take a good, long rest for a while. Maybe take a couple of aspirins, and put a cold compress on your forehead. I hope you'll be feeling better after a while.

Bryan, I like to defend you when it comes to hair loss science, but you really ARE as crotchety, unpleasant and boring as you come across in your other posts :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
Michael Jackson was not a child molester.

I was shocked and truly saddened at the news.

He did love children, and he always said he did. If you knew more about him and his life, there's not much that doesn't make sense. What's strange is why people find fondness for children in a pure friendly way as something that would ring alarm bells. He was a superstar from the age of 5, always working his dad was very strict and he was deprived a childhood. Then being divinely famous and wealthy, there would be few people besides children, ill people from other nations that could meet him as person and not 'Wacko Jacko' or a worshipping fan obsession type person.

And he was a genius in music, every genre (including pop) has it's geniuses.

Well the thing with Jackson is that he was always eccentric just because of the way his life was I guess. Nobody who was forced into showbiz since they could barely walk/talk and become a unbelievably wealthy worldwide star as a child would grow up into a totally normal human being.
It was clear that the guy had some deep issues and gay/straight or whatever he was never going to be able to have a normal relationship/marriage ect.

I'll admit that by the time he ended his life he was a fucked up freak who had mutilated his body with surgery and had gained a image as a weirdo with all the oddball thongs he did but although I'm no qualified shrink I'd guess all these things were done in an attempt to change/escape from the person he'd become and the place he'd ended up at.
I think he was a pretty unhappy guy and the only thing he had going for him was the adoration of his fans.
Yeah he went crazy but it does'nt alter the fact that he had a talent to make music and perform that was enjoyed by 100's millions of people.

He was an easy target to ridicule (especialy by internet macho men). Remember many legends end up a shadow of what they once were (Elvis died a fat guy on a toilet) but I'll prefer to remember him as he was in his prime.

[attachment=0:3nli825o]billie-jean-jackson_l.jpg[/attachment:3nli825o]

Attachments

• billie-jean-jackson_l.jpg
    billie-jean-jackson_l.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 150

The Gardener

Reaction score
I'd tend to attribute his personality disorders and his pedophilia to his childhood. Michael Jackson was a victim of child abuse throughout his upbringing. And, I'm not talking about neglect or mental abuse, I'm talking about hard core child abuse... beatings, violent punishments over irrational things, etc. I, and this is just me talking but others have raised this issue as well, wonder if he was also sexually abused as a child. It is often said that victims of abuse have a tendency to grow up and be abusers themselves.

I found this from his Oprah Winfrey interview:
He said that during his childhood he often cried from loneliness and would sometimes get sick or start to vomit upon seeing his father

That sounds to me like someone who probably has some PROFOUND emotional issues.

s.a.f

Reaction score
The plastic surgery was obviously a pschological issue (possibly BDD?) when he looked in the mirror I dont think he saw what everyone else sees looking at him. And wearing facemasks ect could be a clue to some OCD germs fear.
As for his sexuality I dont think he was gay but certainly he probably never had a chance to experience sexual exploration ect as an adolescent.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
ClayShaw said:

I am in a nice quiet place, actually. I finally got home from work.
In college I had a professor who was in Seattle rock bands and also played timpani in the local (not Seattle) symphony. Someone used the term "serious music" in class and he freaked out and went into a long rant.
I guess you didn't say that only dead Europeans write serious music, but that was the impression I got. I mean, forget about rock, it takes a hell of a lot more musical know how to play jazz than it does to memorize and play "classical" (bad term) music. The people who wrote great "classical" (again, I hate that term) music were geniuses (I particularly like Ravel and Brahms), but it takes so much more musical knowledge to improvize on the level of someone like John Coltrane than it does to play the same piece of music note for note for the 400th time.
I mean sh*t, Pet Sounds is as serious as anything ever written.
See? The cold compress (shower) and bowl of weed (asprins) really doesn't help much. I get kind of worked up easily about music.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
I guess you didn't say that only dead Europeans write serious music, but that was the impression I got.

You seem to be preoccupied with "dead Europeans"! :) While a substantial portion of the music I listen to comes from the aforementioned individuals, I do listen to other music, too. For example, are you familiar with the contemporary Russian composer Imants Kalnins (born in 1941)? As far as I know, he's still alive, and I have TREMENDOUS respect for his music. Hell, I even like a lot of Philip Glass, too! :)

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
RIP Michael Jackson, much ignorance , atleast where he is, morons cant reach...(although i wish they would ..)

yvakin

Banned
Reaction score
Bryan said:
For example, are you familiar with the contemporary Russian composer Imants Kalnins (born in 1941)? As far as I know, he's still alive, and I have TREMENDOUS respect for his music. Hell, I even like a lot of Philip Glass, too! :)

I like his music too. Yes he is still alive but he is Latvian originally.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Its kind of ironic how someone I would say is "eccentric" is talking somewhat "negatively" about someone who WAS "eccentric". Michael Jackson was definitely one great dancer. He was of the best "performers" I have seen. I think his perception of his childhood was robbed by his career and family so I think he surrounded himself with children to try to relive it. However, from a psychological view, that was his biggest mistake and downfall. If he wanted to relive his childhood he had enough money to make that fantasy come true without involving any children. No one will ever know the real truth of what Micheal really did with his "accusers" as those secrets are now dead and buried. Michael was definitely a victim of the media and he basically was responsible for a lot of the attention he captured. I think everyone on here needs to realize, Michael may have had a hard time dealing with vitiligo as we all do with hairloss. Vitiligo on an Afro-American is very obvious and maybe it drove Michael "insane" as much as some of the posts I have read on here about hair loss. Hairloss is easier to conceal than vitilgo. I think he wore the gloves to cover his hands from the vitilgo. I definitely know Michael had BDD really bad and he tried to isolate himself alot but he knew his talents had to be shared with the world so he would come out of "hiding" when he was brave enough to do so. I think unfortunately Michael just did not get the psychological help he needed and so he definitely did some very "off the wall" stunts that definitely gave the media a real "thriller". RIP, Micheal. I definitely will miss those great moments in history but I will never forget you on Black History month in February,

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
ClayShaw said:
I guess you didn't say that only dead Europeans write serious music, but that was the impression I got.

You seem to be preoccupied with "dead Europeans"! :) While a substantial portion of the music I listen to comes from the aforementioned individuals, I do listen to other music, too. For example, are you familiar with the contemporary Russian composer Imants Kalnins (born in 1941)? As far as I know, he's still alive, and I have TREMENDOUS respect for his music. Hell, I even like a lot of Philip Glass, too! :)

Ugh... Philip Glass...
My only real point is that it is a fallacy to suggest that only music played by orchestras/symphonies/you know what I mean is "serious music".

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
ClayShaw said:

Now the preoccupation is with a dead African-American.

I hate pop music, but loved Michael Jacksons' stuff.

My favourite music is classical and alternative rock. Nowadays I listen to mostly classical music. Mozart was a kind of Michael Jackson of his day and my favourite composer. He started composing at the age of 5, became a huge name not just in Austria and Germany but throughout Europe and other parts of the world. Then he died prematurely at 35 and financially broke. Over 2 centuries later and he's still a musical genius, with a legacy of an incredible 600 compositions despite his age.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I've been pondering myself why MJ is such an iconic figure. I don't think his songs are all that unique or special, they are pretty much standard bubble gum fare... and the musical tracks aren't all that rich. I could possibly replicate most of the musical backing on my old Casio keyboard if given enough time to tweak the sounds and the loops.

I think his strengths are rooted in him being a great vocalist, lots of passion in his vocals... and, obviously, he's a phenomenal dancer. But its more than that. I think his greatness is in the broader art of production. It's not purely the vocals, or purely the dancing... its how he wraps these all up with his clothing style, background settings, backup dancers, choreography, etc. in such a way as to turn a simple song into a multi-sensory, feast for the eyes and ears, iconic work of art.

The guy was just an amazing all-around entertainer... on par with the legends. One of the best, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.