R.I.P MICHAEL JACKSON :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I would bang Madonna but only with Bryan watching so he'd be able to tell me how I did.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
When it comes to true musicianship

Define "True musicianship".

Bryan said:
Michael Jackson won't even rank as a footnote in history.

Even though you may not like it he already has so just accept it. :)

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan said:
s.a.f said:
And likewise does it matter that Jackson could'nt do opera. Its abit like saying Tiger Woods is crap at tennis.

I think Pavarotti was far, FAR more likely to sing "Billie Jean" successfully than Michael Jackson was to sing "Nessun Dorma" successfully! :)

For the love of god, why are we even wasting time discussing the pseudo-accomplishments of some weird little "Pop" performer whose main claim to fame was being able to walk backwards on a stage? Come on, folks, that's stuff for the little kiddies to get excited about! When it comes to true musicianship, Michael Jackson won't even rank as a footnote in history.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Come on Bryan, tell us how you really feel!!

"For the love of god......" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(I'm a square when it comes to music and hollywood stuff but I had to laugh at that post. I guess you don't like Jackson too much Bryan.)

Cassin

Reaction score
Bryan said:
When it comes to true musicianship, Michael Jackson won't even rank as a footnote in history.

thats just silly.

I cannot stand his music...I love classical and obscure music like Indie Rock and yet I still recognize his greatness.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Bryan said:
I guess I'll have to take your word for all that. Personally, I've never listened to his "music" (notice how I feel it necessary to enclose that word in quotation marks), except for brief snippets of it that I've heard accidentally when I'm changing channels on TV.

Bryan said:
It depresses me that the public pays so much attention to that kind of "music", instead of serious music.

Bryan said:
I suppose my complaint lies more with the people who buy his "music", rather than Michael Jackson himself. Why do people pay hard-earned money for that stuff? What accounts for such poor taste in music?

So lets see, you state you have never listened to his music and then complain because people buy it. Bizarre.

I am impressed how you are able to make an opinion on music you have never listened to. Quite the talent.

Bryan said:
When it comes to true musicianship, Michael Jackson won't even rank as a footnote in history.

How are you making these opinions if you have never listened to his music?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Axl_Rose said:
Bryan said:
When it comes to true musicianship

Define "True musicianship".

I don't feel like writing a page or two just to try to describe a quality that all of us already know and understand. It should suffice to list a couple or three individuals from modern times who had true "musicianship": Arthur Rubenstein had it, as did Vladimir Horowitz. Have you ever heard of Ervin Nyiregyhazi? Nyiregyhazi had "musicianship" IN SPADES.

Axl_Rose said:
Bryan said:
Michael Jackson won't even rank as a footnote in history.

Even though you may not like it he already has so just accept it. :)

Michael Jackson does rank as a footnote in history, but you have to understand that it's not for musicianship. As Andy Warhol said (I believe it was Andy Warhol who first used those words), MJ was "famous for being famous": he could put on a big show with lots of backup singers and dancers, he could do his famous "moonwalk" to put a thrill into the kiddies, he was constantly making the tabloids due to his (ahem) extracurricular activities and his other personal eccentricities, etc. But a true musician in any serious sense of the word, he was not.

Do you remember who Fabian Forte was, or are you too young for that? He was a teen idol during the late 50's and early 60's. He was soooo famous, he just went by his first name "Fabian". He had all the teenage girls simply SQUEELING over him with delight at every public appearance! :) Was he a "musician"? Yeah, about as much as _I_ am a "musician". Does anybody today give a hoot in hell about Fabian? No, and the same will probably be true of Michael Jackson in another 20 years or so.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Who said we were discussing musicianship?
We were discusing Michael Jackson who was probably the most successful entertainer ever and the most famous man on the planet.

Have you ever heard of Joseph Pujol, who used the stage name "Le Pétomane"? He was famous in France during the early 1900's for being able to fart "La Marseillaise" and other musical pieces. Seriously. I suspect Pujol was a better "musician" than Michael Jackson. He was certainly a better entertainer.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Michael Jackson does rank as a footnote in history, but you have to understand that it's not for musicianship. As Andy Warhol said (I believe it was Andy Warhol who first used those words), MJ was "famous for being famous": he could put on a big show with lots of backup singers and dancers, he could do his famous "moonwalk" to put a thrill into the kiddies, he was constantly making the tabloids due to his (ahem) extracurricular activities and his other personal eccentricities, etc. But a true musician in any serious sense of the word, he was not.

Do you remember who Fabian Forte was, or are you too young for that? He was a teen idol during the late 50's and early 60's. He was soooo famous, he just went by his first name "Fabian". He had all the teenage girls simply SQUEELING over him with delight at every public appearance! :) Was he a "musician"? Yeah, about as much as _I_ am a "musician". Does anybody today give a hoot in hell about Fabian? No, and the same will probably be true of Michael Jackson in another 20 years or so.

Now your just making an *** out of yourself. :jackit:

You're either seriously deluded or just plain dumb.
Michael Jackson has sold 750+m (probably closer to 800m now). He has had a 45 yr career. (No thats not serious at all is it?) :roll:
Big Brother contestants are famous for being famous, footballers girlfreinds are famous for being famous. MJ was probably the most famous singer in history. FACT. :hump:
Billions of people on this planet know who Michael Jackson was and can name his songs, can the same be said for your heros Arthur Rubienstien or Vladamir Horowitz? :whistle:
Or maybe you are right - 20 yrs from now MJ will just become another of history's nobody's like that Elvis Pres... (er something) who was apparently abit famous back in the 60's for eating alot of fried peanut butter sandwiches or something.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I don't feel like writing a page or two just to try to describe a quality that all of us already know and understand.

Didn't think you could. I don't think "True musicianship" is even a official term, it's just used for the "My fav band is better then your fav band" arguments, it doesn't work, any artist who has a passion for what they do, a desire to perform and to write music is as much a "True musician" as any of the musicians you have listed and Michael Jackson certainly had all those qualities and lets not forget he has the record for the highest selling album of all time - Thriller, but hey, that's probably just because all the little kiddies at the time ran out and bought it right?

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
For instance, MJ was no where nearly as talented of a musician as Steve Vai is. Nor was he as talented as Joe Satriani...or Yngwie Malmsteen...or...Eddie Van Halen...or Zack Wylde...the list goes on and on.

That's just your opinion and your entitled to it, but that's all this is going to end up being about, opinions, there's no way of deciding who's right and who's wrong in this, you may think Micheal wasn't even as half as talented as people make him out to be but then your going to have millions of others who think that he was, times change and peoples opinions of music change as much as the music does itself, IMO Michael was talented and was a gifted musician and saying that he wasn't as talented as joe satriani or eddie van halen is pretty arrogant, just because you may not of liked what he did (musically) doesn't mean he wasn't as talented as them.

Was he the greatest musician to ever walk the earth? No of course not but he was extremely good at what he did.

This might have to end in "agree to disagree"

s.a.f

Reaction score
askas said:
Did MJ created all the shows by himself? I guess no. So we must appreciate not only him, but other people who put efforts in making him a star. It's not a single person show, as they want us to think and adore the star. He was a great dancer, less talented singer. The show was great, but once again, it's not his own achievement, but of the team.

As I wrote previously MJ was responsible for not only performing but writing, producing and most of the time choreographing his dance routines. He also had most of the idea's for his shows and video's.
What did you really expect him to be his own sound technician, lighting rigger and maybe his own band aswell? Of course its all a team effort name 1 single group/artist that is'nt surrounded by a whole team.
Do you think that Mozart ect put on their shows single handedly?

askas said:
The same way we can appreciate Britneay Spears, or Madonna. Those are made stars, with some talent definitely, but to a certain extent, which then is extended by the performance and advertising. The amount of sold albums and known-to-all doesn't mean talent, definitely. Britneay Spears is not less famous than MJ.

You cant really compare Britney and Madonna, are you not aware that Madonna has written nearly all her own songs and had a huge creative input over her look, videos, shows ect. Britney on the other hand is just a talentless puppet.
And although fame and record sales dont = talent (there is no proven formulae for what constitues talent) you cant really argue with 750m+ record sales and billions of fans over the past 45 yrs.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
f*** Michael Jackson...Metallica and Gun N Roses were way better anyways! and none of the members got in court for touching kids penis.... :gay: The King of Plastic surgery!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
askas said:
Once agian, the number of copies does not mean quality. Fame does not equal quality.

Truer words were never spoken. Michael Jackson has gotten waaaaay more than his alloted 15 minutes of fame. It's time to let him rest in peace, and make room for the next kiddie Phenom.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
askas said:
Once agian, the number of copies does not mean quality. Fame does not equal quality.

Truer words were never spoken. Michael Jackson has gotten waaaaay more than his alloted 15 minutes of fame. It's time to let him rest in peace, and make room for the next kiddie Phenom.

I think it does when he is number one in the UK 40+ years after his career started. Old songs going back to number one is a sign of quality.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Bryan said:
askas said:

(LOL once again Bryan is oblivious to how ridiculous his statement sounds in terms of the reality of the situation).
Yeah but its hard to fit 100's of songs and about a dozen albums into 15 mins.
Ps I cant wait for the next 'kiddie phenom' who manages to last 45 yrs and sell 750m+ records. :whistle:

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

facepalm.jpg

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

Oh damn...I realize now the big mistake I made in that previous post. I'm very embarrassed, and I apologize to everybody here for what I said: there are TWO t's in the word "allotted", not just one.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Oh damn...I realize now the big mistake I made in that previous post. I'm very embarrassed, and I apologize to everybody here for what I said: there are TWO t's in the word "allotted", not just one.

It's ok, Bryan. Even the best of us make mistakes from time to time and the fact that you could admit to it...is a real step in the right direction. :)

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Bryan said:

I did notice but couldn't be bothered to bring it to your attention, especially after my recent deliberate grammar errors. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.