R.I.P MICHAEL JACKSON :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between Sir Alex Ferguson and Michael Jackson?

Ferguson will be playing Giggs this August!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I've been pondering myself why MJ is such an iconic figure. I don't think his songs are all that unique or special, they are pretty much standard bubble gum fare... and the musical tracks aren't all that rich. I could possibly replicate most of the musical backing on my old Casio keyboard if given enough time to tweak the sounds and the loops.

EXACTLY. I couldn't agree with you more. But what he could do, I suppose, was put on a show. I guess that's good enough, in this day and age of unsophisticated musical tastes.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Michael Jackson's talent limited - non existant? Whether you like him or not thats abit like saying Da Vinci had little to no imagination.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
EXACTLY. I couldn't agree with you more. But what he could do, I suppose, was put on a show. I guess that's good enough, in this day and age of unsophisticated musical tastes.

Bullshit and...

dudemon said:
As with most pop stars, talent is limited to non-existent. MJ was no different. Any real musician knows this. But most are too modest to say so.

...more bullshit.

While I wish his image and personal life were frozen in time in the late 80's (before he let crazy take over fully) there is no way you can deny his talent.

It's so easy to say, "oh well today people don't know what music is, so what can you expect." It's such a blanket statement and it fits well if you don't want to explain yourself. If you know music, and I mean really KNOW music then you don't limit your understanding to one type or century. It's fine to know music and prefer one genre over the other, but it's not okay to claim to know music with no understanding of the genres. I agree that a lot of music today is infused with electronic noise. It began in the 80's, some real music came back in the mid to late 90's and now we're back to the talentless computed bullshit of the 80's just with better technology and it's got a different sound. I agree that those examples are not music and that type is aimed at people with no real musical taste who love bullshit repetition. I disagree however that Michael Jackson fits into this category. The guy had the vocal range comparable to or exceeding any opera great. And I'm not talking about a second rate hack like Bocelli. He had the talent to dance as well as any respected ballerina, Irish step dancer, or tap dancer. He had phenomenal vocal control and range, and he was a fantastic dancing talent.

By the way to say, any "real musician" knows he had no talent is bullshit. Find me a real musician who'd say this and I'll show you somebody who knows nothing of music and just learned to play an instrument, there's a difference.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of his music. I'm not standing behind the quality of the written music he performed. I'm standing behind his ability to make otherwise unappealing music, appealing to the masses through his showmanship and many talents.

s.a.f

Reaction score
And lets not forget that although he was a mere 'pop star' he was'nt just an industry puppet, he was writer, singer, producer and choreographer and all that was when he was still in his teens.

The Gardener

Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
The guy had the vocal range comparable to or exceeding any opera great. And I'm not talking about a second rate hack like Bocelli.
That's kind of a red herring argument.

There is FAR more to a "great" operatic voice than merely octave range. While I agree that MJ had an extraordinary vocal range, some say it spans 4 full octaves which is amazing, and I do not doubt this... his voice does still not hold a candle to the operatic greats.

Vocal octave range is but ONE quality of an iconic singer. MJ, although having a versatile vocal range, does not hold a candle to the vocal richness nor sheer power that the great operatic voices have.

And whilst I agree with you that Bocelli isn't a classic operatic voice, calling him a "second rate hack" is a bit over the top. I happen to like Bocelli's voice, it has a certain warmth and sweetness about it that I appreciate.

For an obvious example, MJ attempting a cover of "Nessun Dorma" would probably result in a very embarrasing moment for him. While his voice could cover the vocal range required to cover that piece, methinks his attempt would be a self-mockery if he tried to do so.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh dear. If there's one thing I do know it's opera. I'll give Bocelli credit for one thing. He's mastered the art of mumbling through most of a song until he gets to the long comfort note that he's able to hold and impress people with. Although, it's so very transparent I have yet to meet somebody with a knowledge of opera who hasn't picked up on it.

My original argument should have gone beyond range, true. But to expand, I do feel that MJ's voice also had the staying power and strong base needed to support any aria or operatic piece of music. The only reason this wasn't showcased is because he chose to take a more popular route. I'm aware that I am at best speculating, but I do sincerely feel that he had that ability.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
For an obvious example, MJ attempting a cover of "Nessun Dorma" would probably result in a very embarrasing moment for him. While his voice could cover the vocal range required to cover that piece, methinks his attempt would be a self-mockery if he tried to do so.

LOL!!! Gardener, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!! The thought of Michael Jackson trying to sing Nessun Dorma in that funny falsetto voice of his made me laugh so hard, I fell out of my chair and injured myself! :laugh:

To see how ideas of musicianship have changed so starkly over the years, it's instructive to look at famous incidents from the past, and compare them to what we have in modern times. A couple of hundred years or so ago, Niccolo Paganini was such a fantastically talented violinist, it's said that if a string on his instrument broke during a concert, he could continue playing the same pieces on only the remaining strings, smoothly substituting for the broken one. In a famous story from around that same time, Grieg took the score for his newly composed Piano Concerto in A Minor to the great pianist Franz Liszt, who sat down and SIGHT-READ the entire composition (Grieg said later that Liszt played it perfectly, from sight). And there are stories of how Mozart could do similar amazing feats, like extemporize quality music off the top of his head (the movie Amadeus depicted some of those famous stories).

So what musically impresses the public nowadays? Well, when a frail, 112-pound guy with a falsetto voice does the "moonwalk" on a stage, people are impressed as hell, and mourn for days when he dies!! :puke:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Bryan said:
The Gardener said:

LOL!!! Gardener, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!! The thought of Michael Jackson trying to sing Nessun Dorma in that funny falsetto voice of his made me laugh so hard, I fell out of my chair and injured myself! :laugh:

But then again I doubt Pavarotti ect could do a decent cover of Billie Jean.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Since Michael Jackson is 99% plastic. He will be melted into a slide so that little kids can still go down on him

Michael Jackson didn't die of a heart attack. He was found in the childrens ward having a stroke.

MICHAEL JACKSON died of food poison not heart attack yeah he got ahold of some bad 12 year old nuts.

What were Micheal Jacksons last words? . . . "Take me to children's hospital!"

Due to the fact that Michael Jackson is 99% plastic, he will be melted down into lego blocks so that little kids can play with him.

McDonalds has a new burger in memory of Michael Jackson.... Its called the M J its a 50 year old piece of meat stuck between two 10 year old buns.

Sorry guys I had to do it! :woot:

yvakin

Banned
Reaction score
Yeeah! Turned TV on and what a surprise: MJ is still dead.
Stupid media :thumbdown2:

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Then, in a couple years, after having a sex change, and breast implants, he'll re-emerge on "Britain's Got Talent" and become the next female phenom pop star. :mrgreen:
No! He will most definitely be mistaken by madonna.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

He probably couldn't do a decent cover of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips", either. Do you think Pavarotti gave a flying f*** about either one of them?

yvakin

Banned
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Ian Curtis said:
dudemon said:
Then, in a couple years, after having a sex change, and breast implants, he'll re-emerge on "Britain's Got Talent" and become the next female phenom pop star. :mrgreen:
No! He will most definitely be mistaken by madonna.

I know I'm weird, but I would like to :tongue: Madonna.

I hate her music, but I think she's so hot.

I know, I'm weird.

:shakehead:
She use to be hot but now she looks like old body builder. :whistle:

s.a.f

Reaction score
I'd do Madonna just because she's Madonna.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Bryan said:
s.a.f said:

He probably couldn't do a decent cover of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips", either. Do you think Pavarotti gave a flying f*ck about either one of them?

And likewise does it matter that Jackson could'nt do opera. Its abit like saying Tiger Woods is crap at tennis.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Madonna looks like a man! WTF is wrong with you guys! LOL

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
And likewise does it matter that Jackson could'nt do opera. Its abit like saying Tiger Woods is crap at tennis.

I think Pavarotti was far, FAR more likely to sing "Billie Jean" successfully than Michael Jackson was to sing "Nessun Dorma" successfully! :)

For the love of god, why are we even wasting time discussing the pseudo-accomplishments of some weird little "Pop" performer whose main claim to fame was being able to walk backwards on a stage? Come on, folks, that's stuff for the little kiddies to get excited about! When it comes to true musicianship, Michael Jackson won't even rank as a footnote in history.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Who said we were discussing musicianship?
We were discusing Michael Jackson who was probably the most successful entertainer ever and the most famous man on the planet.

Ps while you still continue to downplay his popularity and achievements its been revealed that his funeral will most likely be the biggest funeral in history broadcast worldwide and 1 million fans are expected to travel to LA to witness the event.
Pretty impresive for a weird little pop performer who's claim to fame was being able to walk backwards on stage. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.