Proxiphen - What? How?

Biostudent

Reaction score
question

Hi guys, quick question. I am a diffuse thinner, and i will be shaving my head bald, i just came off of minoxidil for about 5 months now, cus its so inconvenient!! When one stops min overall hair is absolutely garbage. So if i use this and i get the results, and if i stop, will i lose more hair then before, just like minoxidal loss after discontinuing use?? I'm just scared of using that thing again, cus of its life long commitment. thanks guys

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Buffboy said:
Peter (the hair transplant-guy i mentioned earlier) said that Dr. Proctor was the only guy who had been successfull to mix spironolactone and minoxidil. Therefore it's possible for the bastard to charge 100$ for one tube.

I guess Dr. Lee is just jealous... I know, I am! :)

But Dr. Lee's hairline looks better!

drlee.jpg
drproctorbg.jpg

Petchsky

Reaction score
But Dr Proctor ate all the pies!

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LOL, I always thought he was a little tubby for a Doctor.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are basing that "tubby" assessment on just that small head-shot of him? I haven't seen him in person for a long time, but he definitely wasn't "tubby" at that time. I think that small photo gives a false impression of him...

Bryan

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he became "tubby" after you last seen him. Look at the proportions of his face. Homeboy's rockin' a double chin.

BTW, I'm rather "tubby" these days myself.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK, all "tubby" jokes aside, I have a serious question regarding Proxiphen. It's very expensive but you guys say that it takes just a tiny amount applied to the thinningest areas. What about diffuse thinners? Wouldn't a cream be difficult to spread on these areas and wouldn't it require much more of the cream to cover the entire plateau?

Homie

Reaction score
Is the only difference between Proxiphen and Proxiphen-N the minoxidil? If so, I'll just go with -N and use minoxidil seperately.

Please let me know!

And Bryan, which were you using when you maintained (and even regrew) your hair? I forget.

Thanks!

Petchsky

Reaction score
They are other differences between the two.

Bryan used Proxiphen N. :D

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Temples said:
What about diffuse thinners? Wouldn't a cream be difficult to spread on these areas and wouldn't it require much more of the cream to cover the entire plateau?

Dr. Proctor says just to spread it out thinly as best you can. He says it's not necessary to cover every last bit of thinning scalp.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Homie said:
Is the only difference between Proxiphen and Proxiphen-N the minoxidil? If so, I'll just go with -N and use minoxidil seperately.

Proxiphen also contains the following prescription items that Prox-N doesn't: phenytoin, spironolactone, and Retin-A. Also, Proxiphen contains higher amounts of the other things that Prox-N has.

Bryan

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Dr. Proctor says just to spread it out thinly as best you can. He says it's not necessary to cover every last bit of thinning scalp.

Thanks, Bryan.

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies. I do still want to wait a couple of months before adding anything to my regimen. I have been on finasteride for 9 1/2 months now and I have been shedding a lot! I hit another massive shed around month 7 and it's still charging full strength! My hair is looking crappier than ever! damn! I want to ad to my regimen if this doesn't turn around real soon - but I'm loosing hope. I have not yet tried out minoxidil

my questions are:
- Should I try minoxidil before Proxiphen?
- I'm now thinning on the crown/hairline/temples and vertex. Would one tube of Proxiphen still last me a couple of months?

Thanks guys - you have been a great help!

JWM

Reaction score
Proxiphen also contains the following prescription items that Prox-N doesn't: phenytoin, spironolactone, and Retin-A. Also, Proxiphen contains higher amounts of the other things that Prox-N has.

Uh, excuse me Bryan, but I believe Dr. P no longer uses Retin-A in his Proxiphen anymore. I'm also pretty sure that Proxiphen has Tempol(sp?) and Prox-N does not. Oh, if I stumped you on a Dr. P fact it would make my holiday :D

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JWM said:

Uh, excuse me Bryan, but I believe Dr. P no longer uses Retin-A in his Proxiphen anymore.

What he's been doing is steadily reducing the AMOUNT in Proxiphen over the years, until nowadays it's insignificant. He admits that he still keeps a dab in there, apparently just for marketing purposes.

The really interesting question is WHY he no longer thinks much of Retin-A. A poster on another hairloss site made a very similar comment about Dr. Lee: why does HE no longer recommend Retin-A??

JWM said:
I'm also pretty sure that Proxiphen has Tempol(sp?) and Prox-N does not.

Correct. Also some other things, too, like PBN. I didn't SAY, nor did I intend to IMPLY, that there aren't any non-prescription substances in Proxiphen which are not also in Prox-N.

JWM said:
Oh, if I stumped you on a Dr. P fact it would make my holiday :D

Not THIS time, but keep trying! :wink:

Bryan

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

He also said this to me. What do you think he means by this? Is it that the ingredients will spread underneath the skin?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Something like that. Maybe a bit of "systemic" absorption, but somewhat localized to the area of the scalp... I remember when Dr. Proctor stated years ago on alt.baldspot that even HE is not completely sure why it has that effect! :freaked:

Bryan