Proxiphen - What? How?

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm think about adding Proxiphen to my regimen (after recommendation from Buffboy) and I have been surfing this forum in order to find more information about it. I know Bryan was/is on it.

My questions are:
- How much is it and where you go get it from?
- How do you apply it? How often do you apply it?
- How does it come? is it a cream, lotion or a liquid?
- How long does it take to dry?
- How effective is it meant to be - is there any science backing it?
- Is there any irritation connected with it?

Sorry for the long list of questions but I hope you can help me out here!
(and for the record don't tell me to get on finasteride & nizoral because I am and have been for 9 months - and yes, I will give it a full 12 months before adding anything additional).

Thanks heaps!

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LOL, I am very interested in this product as well.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
There are two different versions: non-prescription "Proxiphen-N" and regular prescription-strength "Proxiphen". The rest of my remarks will be addressed specifically to prescription-strength Proxiphen.

- How much is it and where you go get it from?

It's expensive: $100 per month. You should call Dr. Proctor's office to find out how to get it, especially if you're in Australia.

- How do you apply it? How often do you apply it?

You apply it once a day to the thinningest areas.

- How does it come? is it a cream, lotion or a liquid?

It's a cream.

- How long does it take to dry?

Well, it's dry as soon as you apply it. The stuff is a rather tannish-brownish flesh color, so it's not even very noticeable afterwards. At least on MY skin.

- How effective is it meant to be - is there any science backing it?

Dr. Proctor has said in the past that it's "unquestionably more effective than Propecia". However, don't expect MIRACLES from it. I think it's probably the best single treatment currently available, but even then, it's still just on the order of an incremental improvement over the more standard treatments that everyone already knows about (Rogaine, Propecia, etc.). I think an important thing to understand about Proxiphen is that it's excellent to try if you haven't responded well to the other standard treatments. Proxiphen attacks the problem in ways that aren't addressed by those other treatments.

- Is there any irritation connected with it?

Well, a given individual can experience irritation or sensitivity with just about ANY substance, and Proxiphen is no exception. However, it doesn't seem to be a common complaint among Proxiphen users. I've never experienced irritation with it, but then I've never experienced irritation with ANY topical that I've ever used.

Bryan

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Buffboy & Bryan,

I really appricate your answers here - you have both been very helpful!

Buffboy: how much was the shipping cost to Denmark? Can't seem to find this anywhere on Dr. Proctor's site.

Bryan: So Buffboy seems to make his batch last for up to 3 months - how long does yours normally last for?

Is Proxiphen meant to be better at maintaining hair or even regrowing? (sorry, I'm sure I can find out about this on the website you linked to Buffboy - am a bit pushed for time). Thanks heaps guys!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Buffboy said:
Anyways, it's not true that you should call his office. You don't need a prescription because you live outside the US. Just order online.

If he has provisions for ordering overseas on his Web site, then I suppose that's ok. However, I still think it's a good idea to give him a quick call and VERIFY the procedure; in other words, let him know that you're in Australia (or whatever country) and you want Proxiphen, and you want to make sure that there aren't any unforseen consequences or problems that aren't obvious just from reading his site.

BTW, Proxiphen comes in what appears to be a 25 mL vial (I measured it myself with a graduated cylinder). The mass of Proxiphen inside (it comes filled to the very brim) has the exact same density as water, so what you get is 25 grams of the medicine. That's defined as a month's supply, so the amount that you're supposed to apply every day is approximately 25 / 30 = 0.83 grams, or 0.83 mL in volume. That's a bit less than that 1 mL of Rogaine that you're supposed to use at each application.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bryan: So Buffboy seems to make his batch last for up to 3 months - how long does yours normally last for?

Mine lasts a long time, too, because I don't use the full dose, either.

Is Proxiphen meant to be better at maintaining hair or even regrowing?

Either or both! :lol:

Bryan

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

Mine lasts a long time, too, because I don't use the full dose, either.

so a couple of months or even longer? the $100 a month is a bit of a killer price....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Yes" to both the question and the statement! :)

Bryan

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks bryan - (damn you respond fast!)

You have used Proxi for a long time right? Do you now use it every second day or do you still use it every day? Would you recommend using Proxiphen at night or in the morning?

Thanks!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I used Proxiphen-N (the OTC version) consistently from 1995 to 1997. After that time I started using other things, including prescription Proxiphen. However, I don't really use any of them on a consistent basis anymore.

It doesn't matter what time of day you use Proxiphen. Whatever is convenient for you is fine.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Axon said:
Remember, according to common sense, Bryan is Dr. Proctor.

According to my very close friend "Common Sense", I'm about half a dozen different people!! :D

Bryan

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What about mixing spironolactone and minoxidil in the same solution? Dr. Lee says this is not a good idea. I take it Dr. Proctor has a different take.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Never really knew anything about this product, but it sounds good. I will remember to recommend this to people who have not had success with the better known products.

HairLossTalk.com ought to add proxiphen to the product review part of the website.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Temples said:
What about mixing spironolactone and minoxidil in the same solution? Dr. Lee says this is not a good idea. I take it Dr. Proctor has a different take.

Peter (the hair transplant-guy i mentioned earlier) said that Dr. Proctor was the only guy who had been successfull to mix spironolactone and minoxidil. Therefore it's possible for the bastard to charge 100$ for one tube.

I guess Dr. Lee is just jealous... I know, I am! :)