Pros and Cons of a system.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ultimately, would I prefer a hair transplant resembling bum fluff, straw and baby hair with few style options (from what I have seen) or a full head from a hair system delivering any hair style I want? The latter will win no contest, in my humble opinion. But if people want to try a hair transplant go ahead and I hope it works and makes you happy. I have no issue with that.

Of course, if one day we advance for cells to regrow our own hair (and kill cancers), then all the mickey mouse BS on this thread will be irrelevant. Thats the way I look at it. Until then we are all in the same boat so lets sit down and row.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ultimately, would I prefer a hair transplant resembling bum fluff, straw and baby hair with few style options (from what I have seen) or a full head from a hair system delivering any hair style I want? The latter will win no contest, in my humble opinion. But if people want to try a hair transplant go ahead and I hope it works and makes you happy. I have no issue with that.

Of course, if one day we advance for cells to regrow our own hair (and kill cancers), then all the mickey mouse BS on this thread will be irrelevant. Thats the way I look at it. Until then we are all in the same boat so lets sit down and row.

I do agree with you. I think if I ever reach that situation you guys find yourself in, what will I do? Currently I am thinking system over that kind of hair transplant, but who knows once I put a piece on how will I feel. But please remember, everyone is an individual and gets satisfaction/closure over this disease in different ways. Don't forget some people feel better with using clippers and that could even be me one day.

And by the way you are ignorant on transplants. It's not like the ones before. They can look natural and you can get full hair. I am basically a Norwood 2-3 and have enough donor
hair to get my own full hair back, well fullish. It's not like the 90s. Fred also unfortunately had limited donor hair but he knows the look he wanted and that's what he got. So it's not a con.

Also I think people should stop attacking each other: we are in the same boat as you say whether we like it or not.

newmexicohair

Reaction score
Yeah, again, you're correct on all points!! LOL Man, this poor fool can't win for losing!! Hey, I did make a little go at higher education. Of course, nothing like what you are pursuing!!?? I'm sure you're a HUGE financial success - but, again...not enough time for the ladies, plenty of time to troll with us bald boys!!! At any rate, in a few years, you'll have plenty of money for more plugs. Question is...will you have anymore hair to donate to keep the whole receding egg shape dome going??!!! LOL

Love,

Grandpa

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 436

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And by the way you are ignorant on transplants.

Thats a bit harsh :(

Lets say more sceptical as a first choice.

I have read around the subject for a number of years and was very close to going for it about a few years back.

In addition, Ido receive PMs from people that have tried the hair transplant route and it hasnt worked for one reason or other. And now they are pursuing the hair system route.

That said, I do not deny it can give some people a degree of closure they need and thats a good thing.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
We all have our own defense mechanisms I guess, as you're swiping all the negatives I've mentioned many times under the rug.

I know my hair transplant doesn't allow me to have a hair style and that it looks thin. Besides that, I don't see a lot of negative to having a hair transplant if it's done with a top surgeon of course.

Someone mentioned this before: less is more. You don't need a thick teenage NW1 to get by in life. A hair transplant like the one I got will do for 99% of social situations and women.

I remember getting this advice when I used concealers in the past (Yes that's also on my resume): you should never aim for perfection, just improvement. I applied that wisdom to hair transplantation.

PS: I wonder what I would look like if I tried concealers on top of my hair transplant. I think it should look quite good, without a doubt as thick as your hair pieces, with 10x less hassle.

Fred, in my opinion, the very best thing you can do is use your own experience to help those of us that want to go down the hair transplant route with advice and encouragement. That would be a positive and constructive use of your time and knowledge for you and so many others that may benefit.

With concealer I am sure your hair will look thicker, but still limited on style options if thats important to you. That was one of the problems I had with concealers. Otherwise, you seem to be edging nearer closure and thats a good thing.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats a bit harsh :(

Lets say more sceptical as a first choice.

I have read around the subject for a number of years and was very close to going for it about a few years back.

In addition, Ido receive PMs from people that have tried the hair transplant route and it hasnt worked for one reason or other. And now they are pursuing the hair system route.

That said, I do not deny it can give some people a degree of closure they need and thats a good thing.

Have a look at this site

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-transplant-photos/norwood-class/3/

I didn't mean to single you out, just saying good surgeon + good donor density + limited hair loss + Finasteride + 30 or older = perfect candidate and aesthetic result.

There are complications that can happen, but it's rare.

The type of people on forums might be people for one reason or another things didn't work out or look right. It's selection bias compared to real life. On forums people will also moan more about the medication side effects or that they don't work, compared to real life.

- - - Updated - - -

That's only for me but, I don't what a hair style means, in the sense that I wasn't able to style my hair before hair loss.

My hair was a curly mess. So yeah, even if I recovered a full head of hair, a hair style wouldn't even be possible for me.

That's still a style, curly hair just staying in place like that and very long. Hell my British African mate used to have a skin fade and grow it out half an inch or more, that is considered a hair style for blacks. Now he is generic buzzing it temporarily while on meds and not enjoying it.

shep

Reaction score
so first you can't have sex then you can but blah blah blah. and session! you're a bit of a prat arent you.

I don't know what kind of sex you're having, but it must be as vanilla as it gets.

I had a session in my girlfriend's car yesterday and there is no way I would have given that performance with a rug on my head.

At the end, we were drenched in sweat and I was dripping on her from my forehead, almost like a waterfall. <= That's too much information.

If you're telling me that in the same circumstances the wig wouldn't have come off or that it wouldn't have been obvious to her that I was wearing, then you're trying to sell us something.

shookwun

Reaction score
Transplants are good providing you have good hair density and aren't to much on the thinner side. For most we would like a style, and that's the whole point behind getting a system, and hair transplant but like anything variables, and obstacles are involved. I'm very much so happy with my hair transplant, but on the negative side I will never be able to have a low hairline rather always have the prominent fore head appearance, and never be able to have an pompadour hair style. On the plus side my hair is that of my own, and I don't ever have to worry about anything other then styling, and taking finasteride.

As for a system, any option is available asides from a buzz cut which most people including myself don't want to begin with. Like most we want style, a niche, and something that can illustrate our personality within a hair style. On the negative their will always be a anxious feeling towards wearing a peice all though very natural looking, and with time less hesitation, and anxiety.

Both options are great, and to be honest as a transplant patient I'm very happy, but when it comes to having an ideal hairline, and thicker appearance of hair it'll never be an option like a system has to offer. I can see myself within the next ten years sporting a system while being on medication and maintaining my existing hair. Why because? quite frankly I want a thick and lower hairline which only a system can give. Transplants can replicate and give the illusion of density, but under out door sun light without product to the trained eye it can look pluggy in comparison to native surrounding hair. Worst case scenario I take it off and still have a full head of hair that's shaved down, and with time will grow out again.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Enjoyed reading all these posts but to sum it all up we all have learned how to find a way to create the "illusion" that will allow us to look "presentable" to society. Yet, in the long run, it may build some temporary confidence but no matter what you do, its never going change the fact that as you age, there will be something else you don't like about yourself. If you always let society be your " judge and jury" of who you really are, then you will never be happy.

Life is all about "illusion". People put on a "show" to present a certain image and ironically behind the curtain they are just as miserable as the next person who they think has it all. Its human nature to want to be the best yet its also human nature to feel miserable when things just don't go your way. It may take a Hair transplant, concealer, a hair system, or some make up to alter your appearance but does it really ever change WHO you really are? The person who has to live with their true self is only you. Not anyone else.

Confidence is just an illusion you create too. Its something we conjure up in our minds to get over the next hurdle life throws our way. One thing we all have in common here regardless of our Norwood level is we truly know how to feel unhappy and miserable. We have learned desperate solutions to create an "illusion" of confidence so our life will be more positive. However, no matter how hard we try, there is always going to someone out there ready to check your inventory and sabotage the "illusion" and give you a reality check. Everyone has done this on here, myself included. Just another part of human nature. Life is all about "paying it forward" but unfortunately, we have made life into a living hell by only thinking about "what can you do for me". You know why this thread is full of controversy? Simply because it creates a feeling of control and at the same time its makes for some great entertainment. And more importantly, its one of the best distractions to direct all your focus on someone else instead of realizing you are truly the problem. No one here, myself included, will ever know what is like to be genuinely truly happy with themselves 100% because society will never let it happen. If you truly need a distraction, then hit the gym, read a book, watch a movie, do some charity, get an education or whatever it takes to create the illusion of confidence because no matter how hard you try reality will always be there knocking on your door to let you know its time to create a new illusion to hurdle over the next curve life throws your way. So if it takes a hair transplant or a wig to create your illusion of confidence, then do it. But just remember, neither one of them will guarantee a lifetime of happiness or help you win the girl/(or guy) of your dreams and live happily ever after.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Fred thanks for the complement but I was never implying that "something else" is ALWAYS going to be physical. It can be mental. Life will always throw you a curve ball. You have so much life ahead of you and trust me there will be obstacles or as you call "something else" that will divert your focus. I give you credit for portraying someone with a "tough shell" but deep done inside you will aways be vulnerable no matter what. Its what makes us all human. And by all means I am not saying you have never been vulnerable because I have seen that side of you already. I think most of the time most of your debates on here are because you don't have patience for stupidity and nonsense or just don't care to agree to disagree. But let me tell you its so much easier to let it go and let people "go off". Most people can read between the lines and realize the person is spewing nonsense or stupidity without someone pointing it out. People can draw their own conclusions.

What makes most of the posters on this forum different than some members of society is we value hair more than so many other physical traits. Why is that? Why the heck did we pick hair out of all our traits to be the one thing that takes top priority for defining us. Who taught you that? Your parents? Your teachers? Your siblings? Your friends? What exactly did they teach you about hair? Did they say if you are bald you are no good? Did they say if you are bald you will look old? Obviously, for most of us, our penis is not an issue but I guess if you belong to another forum about penis size or function, then that may take priority over hair. Actually, for some who quit finasteride, it actually did take top priority. There is always going to be something that will take top priority.

Fred, your belly fat does not take a top priority simple because its a minor issue that can be solved very simply by diet or exercise. You made hair a top priority because of the fact that its something in your life that became hard to control. Its a tough thing to fight and there are no easy solutions to fight it. We tend to focus on obstacles that are beyond our reach. We tend to focus on things that we cannot control or things we feel we deserve to have but never had the privilege to have. For some it might be perfect hair for others it might be a perfect body but does it really define the real person inside? Who really is Fred the Belgium?:) Who really is Doctorhouse? Who really is Notcool? Is it their hair that is going to reveal who they truly are? I can tell you what we are. We are all a product of our environment. That has defined us. We have let society define us. And why the heck did we do that? I did it because I learned how to do. So if we learned how to do it, can't we learn how to undo it? I think that is something we all need to think about. How can you undo something that is already done? If anyone has the solution to this dilemma please enlighten us. And by the way, little did you know, if you took the time to read this thread, I just got your focus on something "way out there" so now you know if you truly want to you can focus on something beyond your hair:)

- - - Updated - - -

Scottyboy8

Reaction score
I just came back on to this forum to ask about styles for hair systems and I am in disbelief that you are all arguing about what is the best route to go down, with some comments sounding very haughty. Here is what I am personally going to do:

1. Get SMP as a back up, as I can afford it now, so if I ever get to the stage where I can't afford the hair systems then I can just say I shaved my hair off. Also, if it comes off then I can say that I have an enormous cowlick and I shave my hair off and attach a system for better styling options.

2. I will get a hair system, probably every 3 months, and it will be a full lace system. However, even if it is almost undetectable, for confidence issues, I will never wear it slicked back. I will always have a fringe coming down and covering it up.

Nowadays the undercut with an oversized fringe is probably my favourite style so I think this is ideal as if the system isn't perfectly faded in then so be it, and the fringe covers where the lace meets the scalp. Please find the image attached and tell me what you think...

I am open to any recommendations etc and advice on where to buy the systems and what is the best adhesives etc to use. I live in a tropical climate where I work outdoors and am very active, so a good strong bond is necessary I think?fringe-undercut.jpg

ppo8820

Reaction score
Answers

Add yours in here.

Pros

1. You can basically get your hair back, or the hair you've always wanted.
2. They can look very realistic and great if done well. Key is less density, and make sure the colour matches (either by dying the piece and your real hair the same).

Cons

1. At some point people your partner will find out. As some say they are undetectable, yes to the untrained eye they look good, but you can feel the difference between attachment and your growing hair, if wearing a topper.
2. If you are to be secretive about it and room-share, or live with someone who doesn't know. I can imagine that may well be a bit of a hassle. Having to go in to the bathroom with your toilet bag full of wig accessories, and then if your attachment isn't going well - having to hog the bathroom for a long period even if it's just once a week.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword. You can look a lot better, and you can use even partial piece(s) for a thinning hairline if that's your only issue. My main concern would be for potential wearers is that surely at somepoint, your partner will find out. I've read of folk saying they have never been busted, but I find it hard to believe.

I'm all for wig wearing, but some of the hair system sites are a bit like the Sly Bald Guy community with the blind loyality to their cause and propoganda of using a system, but without ever pausing for thought that the more introvert and low confidence guys may deal with stress whilst wearing.

I'd love to hear from wig wearers out there with their views.

I dont get why people worry about people finding out? That has to be torture to constantly worry about it. I am very open about mine. The first day I got it, I posted a pic on FB and said I had gotten "weaved up" and got a ton of likes. I think its like anything, if you are confident, people wont question you. If you lost your teeth, you would buy more right? Why is it any different with hair? I hated being bald and its not a good look for me, so I bought hair............end of conversation. I refuse to worry about it or care if people know. As long as it makes you happy and it looks decent, then you are winning in life.

Scottyboy8

Reaction score
I dont get why people worry about people finding out? That has to be torture to constantly worry about it. I am very open about mine. The first day I got it, I posted a pic on FB and said I had gotten "weaved up" and got a ton of likes. I think its like anything, if you are confident, people wont question you. If you lost your teeth, you would buy more right? Why is it any different with hair? I hated being bald and its not a good look for me, so I bought hair............end of conversation. I refuse to worry about it or care if people know. As long as it makes you happy and it looks decent, then you are winning in life.

Hey PP, any chance you could share with us your pic?

Thanks,
Scott

TheCavemansDiary

Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:

I was waiting for something sensible to this thread. Thanks for being a voice of reason.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong'. Every single hair restoration option have advantages and disadvantages over others - not just the option itself, but for different people.

For example, I have a decent looking hair. But after 5 years of 'decent', I want 'great', which just isnt possible with a hair transplant at my age and hairloss level, as well as remaining donor hair, as I have already had about 6k grafted.

On the other hand, I could care less about the hair belonging to some indian girl, and I would never pass on sex due to anxiety over hairtouching.

Weigh the pros and cons of each option, and choose according to your needs.

Benz9

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a system!

Hey guys I've been reading all your posts and everything I've read has been so helpful thank you! I am 25 with diffuse thinning all over my top n crown recently got fed up with the minoxidil n finasteride and all the side effect and realizing even if I can keep or grow some of my hair back it will never b to where I want it. I Wear hair fibers everyday n it's been working for awhile but even that is taking a role on me with the constant worrying if It looks obvious to others. I been going to local salons specializing in hair replacements and getting information from all sources including you guys and I just am apprehensive about taking the plung. I just want to kno about costs I was quoted at the least 600 goin up to 900 initially and all seems legit with same information and stock and custom pieces. Is 6 to 900 reasonable for initial cost including cut in and ect?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is 6 to 900 reasonable for initial cost including cut in and ect?

For a salon, that seems the going rate.

If you then DIY, you will be doing it around 300. I know many guys are daunted by DIY while others start immediately after a little reading and some vids as its not that difficult. Other advantages include you will learn more and quicker, usually have more control/options and be more independent.

Benz9

Reaction score
For a salon, that seems the going rate.

If you then DIY, you will be doing it around 300. I know many guys are daunted by DIY while others start immediately after a little reading and some vids as its not that difficult. Other advantages include you will learn more and quicker, usually have more control/options and be more independent.

Thanks for the reply grincher!
I eventually will want to go the DIY route after I see exactly what I will be doing from a professional. I went to a couple different salons and two out of the three told me I should have the hair piece permed because I have somewhat wavy textured hair but I have no idea what a perm is lol? Is this normal for them to perm it cuZ I have not read anything on here about anyone getting theres permed? I am advised to take a vacay from work so there wont b an instant transformation which is what I was planning on doing more so for me to get use to it, but I wear caboki so no one has seen me "all natural" so I'm tossing between getting a hair style for my first system of what I want with more density and length 2-2 1/2" or keeping it conservatively shorter.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Benz

Perming is normal, but it is not something you should need to worry about, whether you buy through a salon or a DIY supplier?

All it amounts to is that everyone has a bit of curl in their hair unless they are ethnically Chinese, and it is important that the degree of curl in your hairpiece matches the degree of curl in your real hair so that the two blend properly. The way they create curl in the hairpiece hair is by perming it, but that is something which the factory in China will do. All you (or the salon if you are using one) have to do is send a sample of your hair which shows the factory what curl your real hair has. Then your piece should come back with the right degree of curl.

The vacation idea is a good one. I would tend to go for the density and look you want, unless it would be very different from what you have now (to such an extent that you couldn't plausibly have grown it out during the vacation). You can assume people are not really that observant though, so you have quite a lot of leeway.

Benz9

Reaction score
Hair style and density for new system

Hi Benz

Perming is normal, but it is not something you should need to worry about, whether you buy through a salon or a DIY supplier?

Thanks for the reply Noah. Yeah i wasn't sure since i never was able to have a hair style i was just at a loss when she ran that by me lol. Also she asked me to find out what kind of hair style i would like and i was again dumbfounded because its new for me and i thought she was just going to tell me what i have to get for it to be undetectable but she assured me i can have any style i want because i am young with a good amount of my own hair and these systems are so undetectable with a good cut and routined maintenance. Im more so worried about density because i am not able to actually see it styled onto my head but she again advised me that if no one has really seen me balding then i should go with a medium but i'm not sure. i seen the samples of light medium and medium and i definitely am not gonna oppose to more hair but i just want it to look good and natural.

I have read some posts on here that were very discouraging to me and i am m well aware that this is not a solution more so as it is another form of a concealer but i see it as a viable thing for me. I work in front of people all day and i can sure use a confidence boost in my everyday life and if i only have to remember every other week or so that its not my actual hair i can live with that. I believe research and personal realistic expectations needs to be applied here definitely but I personally think that there is nothing wrong with a man wearing a "system". I think nowadays its more about feeling and looking good than what is actually real on a person, i like to think people are kinder and more understanding than we make them out to be in our heads. :mrgreen:

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Benz

Just google "men's hairstyles" and you will get pages and pages of ideas.

I'm not saying your stylist is wrong - if you are young and have good side hair you can get away with a lot - but if it were my first system I would want a low-key, conservative hairstyle as opposed to some Justin Bieber look that is going to draw attention, no matter how good it looks. Time enough for that later, when you are used to the system. There is always a learning curve, and you want to be able to go up it quietly without a lot of fuss. So if it were me I would go for a "normal" non-eye-catching style, and probably err on the lower density side. You can always adjust later. "Medium" density sounds OK, but you may want her to thin it out, depending how it looks.

The posts on here that are discouraging virtually all fall into one of 2 categories: (1) they are people whose experience of hair systems was 15 or 20 years ago and they are assuming that nothing has changed; or (2) their experience was through a Hair Club, where they were charged a fortune for a thick detectable rug which they had to return every month to have "serviced". The technology and the pricing of hair systems has changed beyond measure in the last 10 years, so information from 20 years ago is now redundant. From reading this and other forums it seems to me most guys who try a hair system (with the exception of Hair Club-type customers) are pretty happy with the experience.