"paying For It" By Chester Brown - Tales From Norwood Cemetery

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I'm naturally skinny, does that mean I have high metabolism genetically?
I stay 97 lbs 5'2" for as long as I can remember but I'm certain I look a bit "fatter" now. I think I definitely put on more fat and lost some muscles over the years. I'm not bothered by my size as I can't be more petite. But my face is really bothering me. I want more defined jaw line and less face fat. And my shoulders are just too narrow.
When I was 17, I was foolish that I wanted to be skinnier. Went on a diet and ran ever day for an hour for a month. Didn't do sh*t to my body. Nothing changed. I wonder if my body can burn fat at all.
Now I want less face fat and broader shoulders. I can't afford to lose more weight but I know I can't burn face fat without burning whole body fat. I used bodybuilding.com for a bit. They insist that I'm not eating enough (I eat like a pig no kidding. My guy friends can confirm). Also said I should train my pecs to get bigger. Don't want that. And friends who are into fitness told me there's no way I can have broader shoulders without developing muscles. Am I fucked?

I'm not sure about you guys but I've never been so obsessed with my body image before hair loss. Even my friends think I'm insane.

It's been shown several times that on average, women don't lose fat on high-duration, moderate-intensity cardio. If anything they gain fat, due to the increases in appetite and decreases in rest metabolism. For men, for whatever reason, the balance is slightly better, high-duration moderate-intensity cardio either leads to no weight change or a minor loss of weight. My general view at this point is that jogging is bad for you: it's bad for the joints, it takes up a lot of time, and it doesn't improve body composition.

If you want less total body fat, your best bets are high-intensity interval training, fewer added sugars, more fats of all kind (instead of rice/grains), and fewer meals even at fixed total calories. If you're eating 1,500 calories a day, try to have it in two meals rather than 3 or 3 meals rather than 4, that will increase your rest metabolism.

You will never get larger shoulders or larger bones from working out. They might appear better though.

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look at this chick, Ashley Graham. Wtf?
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/699004503400513536/XbW5lYhl.jpg
She's practically obese but her jaw line is more defined than mine. It's like her face just wouldn't retain fat at all!

I looked up other photos and her fat seems to be almost entirely in her boobs, butt, and thighs. I can't say for sure but she might just have very, very high estrogen levels.

Have you not heard of some women getting larger boobs after taking the birth control pill? Same idea.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was really so stupid to read all the 30 pages. The "The Impact of Hair Loss" is really one of the worst forum i ever have seen in my life.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

All you guys don't need new hair you need really a good good psychiatrist or stay in a special clinic for really really unstable personality.

This thread is really too much:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I was really so stupid to read all the 30 pages. The "The Impact of Hair Loss" is really one of the worst forum i ever have seen in my life.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

All you guys don't need new hair you need really a good good psychiatrist or stay in a special clinic for really really unstable personality.

This thread is really too much:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
We call this group therapy. And we already know who the "on staff" psychiatrists are in this forum. We have Wolf, Fred, Shook, Swoop, ID, Joan, David, and of course me. What else can you ask for?:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stay 97 lbs 5'2" for as long as I can remember but I'm certain I look a bit "fatter" now. I think I definitely put on more fat and lost some muscles over the years. I'm not bothered by my size as I can't be more petite. But my face is really bothering me. I want more defined jaw line and less face fat. And my shoulders are just too narrow.
When I was 17, I was foolish that I wanted to be skinnier. Went on a diet and ran ever day for an hour for a month. Didn't do sh*t to my body. Nothing changed. I wonder if my body can burn fat at all.
Now I want less face fat and broader shoulders. I can't afford to lose more weight but I know I can't burn face fat without burning whole body fat. I used bodybuilding.com for a bit. They insist that I'm not eating enough (I eat like a pig no kidding. My guy friends can confirm). Also said I should train my pecs to get bigger. Don't want that. And friends who are into fitness told me there's no way I can have broader shoulders without developing muscles. Am I fucked?

I'm not sure about you guys but I've never been so obsessed with my body image before hair loss. Even my friends think I'm insane.
narrow shoulders are feminine. and defined jaw line is masculine.. why do you want to work towards being less attractive?

lol at girl's "looks issues". it usually concerns completely inconsequential stuff like this. and even stuff that will downgrade them. it just blows my mind. looking for a problem where there is none.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score

You can't just spot reduce the fat on your face without also reducing fat from the rest of the body. People who advise you to eat more to reduce fat sound confused to me.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did, along with some HIIT and weight lifting, and I've lost ~60 lbs in 16 months without being perfect in habits. Nearly all of my blood parameters such as cholesterol, estrogen, SHBG, c-reactive protein, fasting glucose, etc, have improved.

I will not be trying the diets from mealplansite.com that you advocate as they unhealthy for both the body and the brain.

Which is why you are unworthy of discussion.

You are set in your poorly-researched incorrect views. You're basing your opinion off people with great genetics, people who do steroids, people who work out four hours a day, and then saying they look good without their shirt off and therefore everything they say is true. You're also ignoring the multitude of athletes who do intermittent fasting or eat low-carb diets.

The people at mealplansite.com aren't experts lol. They're just peddling outdated bro-science that they don't understand. To reiterate, here is their dumb diet plan for all to see, perhaps someone else can explain to you why this poor advice:

Wake 7.30 am

7.30am
1 scoop whey protein in water
8.00am Breakfast
Large bowl porridge made with 250ml skimmed milk + 2 tsp sugar
2 slices granary bread toasted + olive oil-based spread
Serving weight gain drink or MRP
200ml orange juice + 1 tbsp flaxseed oil
10.30am
2 tuna sandwiches (4 slices granary bread)
Large banana
12.30pm
Large chicken breast
200ml fresh vegetable soup
4 slices granary bread + olive oil spread
Salad
Low fat yoghurt
3.00pm
6 oatcakes
Tub cottage cheese
Apple
45 mins pre-workout
Glass skimmed milk
Large handful mixed nuts
TRAIN

Immediately post workout
2 scoops whey protein + 50g dextrose in water
7.30pm
Lean steak or 2 pork chops
2 medium jacket potatoes or 100g boiled basmati rice
Large serving of vegetables
Low fat yoghurt
10.00pm
Large bowl wholewheat breakfast cereal + 250ml skimmed milk + 2 tsp sugar
11.30pm
1 scoop whey protein in 150ml skimmed milk
11.30pm
bed

Read more at: http://www.mealplansite.com/sports/bodybuilding-new-gain.aspx

I am not an expert on this. But this diet plan probably results in elevated blood suger level all day.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not an expert on this. But this diet plan probably results in elevated blood suger level all day.

Yes, that is one of the biggest problems.

The idea of the plan, which includes ridiculous things like 50 grams of dextrose powder in one of the meals, is to raise insulin and glucose levels all the time. It's believe that this will help build muscle and boost energy available for exercise. It will ... at the expense of all the negative consequences of elevated blood sugar and insulin, such as increased risk of diabetes, parkinson's, and alzheimer's.

The plan also couples protein with carbohyrates, largely due to the belief that carbohydrates raise insulin and the insulin is needed to transport protein to the muscles. That's a nice conveyor belt of ideas, however it's been measured in recent years that protein can raise insulin very well by itself, you don't need sugar to raise insulin. Whey protein powder, incidentally, is exceptionally good at raising insulin by itself. So that removes the assumed need for all those carbohydrates, to maximally raise insulin (which is probably a bad idea regardless).

Moreover, even if that were not the case, as the plan includes ~350 grams a day of protein, whereas the body can absorb at most 150 grams/day of protein, probably less. Those extra 200 grams a day of protein will slowly be converted to glucose throughout the day (which may cause kidney disease), which is what the body does to excess protein, it gets converted to glucose.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
narrow shoulders are feminine. and defined jaw line is masculine.. why do you want to work towards being less attractive?

lol at girl's "looks issues". it usually concerns completely inconsequential stuff like this. and even stuff that will downgrade them. it just blows my mind. looking for a problem where there is none.

Because narrow shoulders make you look like a bobble head. My problem is they are way too narrow. I don't want broad shoulders I just want them less narrow.

And newsflash: Women have been using makeup to create more defined jaw lines and cheek bones for decades. Das what we call contouring, bro ;) Look around.

Tbf i didn't ask those question to learn how to please a man visually. Im the one who looks at my body pretty much 24/7 not some guy who prefers a baby face and bobbleheads.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can't just spot reduce the fat on your face without also reducing fat from the rest of the body. People who advise you to eat more to reduce fat sound confused to me.

I think they meant since I'm a bit underweight, I should start eating more and leaner. And combine with exercises to reduce body fat and regain muscles. I kid you not my weight and height stay the same since the age of 13 but my measurements changed over the years. I'm a lazy arse

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been shown several times that on average, women don't lose fat on high-duration, moderate-intensity cardio. If anything they gain fat, due to the increases in appetite and decreases in rest metabolism. For men, for whatever reason, the balance is slightly better, high-duration moderate-intensity cardio either leads to no weight change or a minor loss of weight. My general view at this point is that jogging is bad for you: it's bad for the joints, it takes up a lot of time, and it doesn't improve body composition.

If you want less total body fat, your best bets are high-intensity interval training, fewer added sugars, more fats of all kind (instead of rice/grains), and fewer meals even at fixed total calories. If you're eating 1,500 calories a day, try to have it in two meals rather than 3 or 3 meals rather than 4, that will increase your rest metabolism.

You will never get larger shoulders or larger bones from working out. They might appear better though.

Did you mean things like this? https://www.fix.com/assets/content/14028/Interval-Training-003.png

I don't understand the reducing meals bit. Isn't the opposite which helps reduce body fat?

I think Ashley Graham is one of those people who hits the genetic lottery and can be obese while having a lean face. Birth control pills or spironolactone do give some women bigger boobs and bums.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because narrow shoulders make you look like a bobble head. My problem is they are way too narrow. I don't want broad shoulders I just want them less narrow.

And newsflash: Women have been using makeup to create more defined jaw lines and cheek bones for decades. Das what we call contouring, bro ;) Look around.

Tbf i didn't ask those question to learn how to please a man visually. Im the one who looks at my body pretty much 24/7 not some guy who prefers a baby face and bobbleheads.
sounds like you might have BDD. no one cares or thinks about if someone looks like a "bobblehead" lol. the makeup thing is pointless though. lots of women use too much makeup

wow though i wish my body issues were just perceived flaws (that are likely BDD). i would have it so much easier. i could just go to counseling and realize theyre irrational.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you mean things like this? https://www.fix.com/assets/content/14028/Interval-Training-003.png

I don't understand the reducing meals bit. Isn't the opposite which helps reduce body fat?

I think Ashley Graham is one of those people who hits the genetic lottery and can be obese while having a lean face. Birth control pills or spironolactone do give some women bigger boobs and bums.

1) There is no "one-way" to do high-intensity interval training, but what you see there is a perfectly good example in what you linked. I do something similar. Note that you can do the exact same routine on a stationary bike, so you can alternate between bike and treadmill which will mean more proportional muscle development.

You can also replace the 60 second break with a 30 second plank, 10 pushups, and then a thirty second break. There's an infinite number of variations and since HIIT is new nobody can tell you which is the best one. My suggestion is to do it and do it regularly, and mix it up.

2) Reducing meals is actually more effective than increasing meals. Fifteen years ago it was believed that having lots of small meals was better for metabolism, but that was due to an error in the methodology: there was an increase in metabolism, but it was simply from the digestive system absorbing the food. That's something that will happen anyway if you eat your meals differently, but regular meals means you're more likely to measure that effect in the lab, since those people will have just eaten.

When you reduce meals, you have longer periods of low insulin + high human growth hormone. The combination of those two is necessary for your body to metabolize adipose fat cells into energy. If your insulin levels are high, then the body cannot efficiently metabolize adipose fat into energy.

3) Yes, Ashley Graham won the genetic lottery -- she's a model. It's also a good example of "plus-sized models" being bullshit inclusivity.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
sounds like you might have BDD. no one cares or thinks about if someone looks like a "bobblehead" lol. the makeup thing is pointless though. lots of women use too much makeup

wow though i wish my body issues were just perceived flaws (that are likely BDD). i would have it so much easier. i could just go to counseling and realize theyre irrational.

With respect, @samantha3333 is allowed to worry about her looks regardless. A 10/10 woman has a better life than a 9/10 woman who in turn has a better life than an 8/10 woman, and so on. Not just in terms of how other men treat her, but even how other women treat her. She is also correct about her jawline ... look at the faces of glamour models, they have well-defined jaws. That's because face fat is as gross on women as it is on men.

shookwun

Reaction score
Having a shredded face is a great feeling.
A hall mark for identifying someone who is in shape. Its a certain look that can't be missed. Very distinguished.

The cheeks become hollow, and appear swollen. The eyes socket in deeper around the orbital bones. The jaw line for. The chin is in perfect elongation for visibility. Under the chin and jaw along the neckline looks like it's vacuumed tight

I can tell just by looking at someone's face, neck and Jaw if they are in elite shape or sedentary.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
With respect, @samantha3333 is allowed to worry about her looks regardless. A 10/10 woman has a better life than a 9/10 woman who in turn has a better life than an 8/10 woman, and so on. Not just in terms of how other men treat her, but even how other women treat her. She is also correct about her jawline ... look at the faces of glamour models, they have well-defined jaws. That's because face fat is as gross on women as it is on men.
sure you are allowed to worry about nonexistent "flaws" . . . i just find it a bit infuriating as they aren't flaws, and i have to worry about real flaws.

women seem to have this issue a lot. they worry about this things that literally have zero importance. its like they make up a problem just to have one.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Provided you are sincere, why don't you take the time to expound on why you think we need psychiatric help, rather than this drive by trolling? Can't speak for the others, but I'm very much open to having my views challenged.

Most of us do sound a bit nuts

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sure you are allowed to worry about nonexistent "flaws" . . . i just find it a bit infuriating as they aren't flaws, and i have to worry about real flaws.

women seem to have this issue a lot. they worry about this things that literally have zero importance. its like they make up a problem just to have one.

"It's just hair" -- people with real flaws.