"paying For It" By Chester Brown - Tales From Norwood Cemetery

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
I can tell just by looking at someone's face, neck and Jaw if they are in elite shape or sedentary.

Vasily-Alekseyev-3486.jpg

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
"It's just hair" -- people with real flaws.
yea and theyre lying or in denial. the point is theyre the ones who don't have real flaws. by real flaws i mean people actually see it as a negative

i mean honestly theres a fair amount of objectivity in looks that people dont like to think about. just because tastes differ doesnt mean theres mostly agreed upon things that are considered hot. when the average rating people give you is high, thats pretty close to being objectively attractive.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Those extra 200 grams a day of protein will slowly be converted to glucose throughout the day (which may cause kidney disease).

AFAIK, excess protein has not been shown to negatively effect renal function in adults who have healthy kidneys.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yea and theyre lying or in denial. the point is theyre the ones who don't have real flaws. by real flaws i mean people actually see it as a negative

i mean honestly theres a fair amount of objectivity in looks that people dont like to think about. just because tastes differ doesnt mean theres mostly agreed upon things that are considered hot. when the average rating people give you is high, thats pretty close to being objectively attractive.

I've been called a bobblehead since a young age. Not so much now but from time to time people would still mention it. I'm petite. And my hair was really volumous (a more realistic description is wig-like). And still is even after three years of hair loss. I actually feel that my hair looks a lot nicer since hairloss as when it was so big, it was completely unmanagble. Sadly my hair will be gone soon.
There will be always things you want to improve for yourself. Will people all of a sudden think I can be a supermodel if I have a defined jaw? No. But I'll feel more attractive and confident. Things that you don't consider real flaws can be things that people are really insecure about.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@David_MPN thanks David. Will look more into it :)
Yeah fat acceptance movement can be gross. What's more gross is it only applies to overweight women. If you're a man and obese, you are almost guaranteed to be called a fat arse. What's even moooore gross is skinny shaming after fat acceptance movement. So instead of being petite, feminine, fun-sized, now I'm a 13 yo boy...

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
AFAIK, excess protein has not been shown to negatively effect renal function in adults who have healthy kidneys.

Even if that is the case, there will still be issues of decreased testosterone levels as well as insulin resistance.

If you're eating 350 grams a day of protein as suggested by the morons at meaplansite.com, that will mean at least 200 grams a day gets converted to glucose.

Might as well take a large bag of candy, like the ones from the movie theatre.

Excess protein consumption leads to decreased testosterone, decreased SHBG, increased cortisol
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3573976

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Excess protein consumption leads to decreased testosterone, decreased SHBG, increased cortisol
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3573976

David, you're from a hard science field where papers are more rigorous.
Unfortunately, when it comes to nutritional studies, most are not. You have to take the punchline with a grain of salt.
Case in point, your quoted study:
Testosterone concentrations in seven normal men were consistently higher after ten days on a high carbohydrate diet than during a high protein diet
1. Sample size is 7.
2. "Normal men". Men who engage in serious weight training do not belong to this category.
3. Ten days.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
David, you're from a hard science field where papers are more rigorous.
Unfortunately, when it comes to nutritional studies, most are not. You have to take the punchline with a grain of salt.
Case in point, your quoted study:

1. Sample size is 7.
2. "Normal men". Men who engage in serious weight training do not belong to this category.
3. Ten days.

1) Sample size of 7 is irrelevant if the effect is large. What matters is the product of effect and sample size, that's what determine statistical significance.
2) I had already posted about weight trainers previously.
3) 10 days is what's measured.

If you want to put your health at risk by consuming too much protein, do so. It's not going to build you more muscle if you're going above ~0.8 grams per day per pound of lean body weight, which for most people means that ~120 grams a day of protein is the maximum effective dose, and even then only for newbie bodybuilders. Once you already have a lot of muscle you will be building very little new muscle tissue, so you will need less protein.

If you want to build 20 lbs of muscle in one year, you'll need an extra 25 grams of protein per day assuming perfect inefficiency, therefore a little more due to inefficiency of digestion. The links I included earlier suggest an extra 50-75 grams of protein a day for beginner bodybuilders, not an extra 300 grams a day.

Finally, your points are also moot as the link between too much protein and a drop in testosterone has since been corroborated by other studies.

High-protein, low-GI diets cause a dip in the free androgen index
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17448569

Higher protein, lower monounsaturated fat, lower saturated fat, linked to lower testosterone in men who exercise
http://jap.physiology.org/content/82/1/49

And so on, it's a well-known result and is consistently measured across different studies. Too much protein => low testosterone. It makes sense intuitively: your body is very slow at digesting protein and converting it to glucose. If you're taking 350 grams of protein a days spread in 10 meals over 16 hours, you basically have continuous, massive quantities of glucose entering your bloodstream.

For greater testosterone, I'd recommend replacing some of that extra protein with saturated animal fats. For example, eat a 100 gram lamb steak rather than a 100 gram chicken breast.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sample size is absolutely relevant.

Are you seriously quoting a "study" where the calorie intake between the 12 subjects varied from 1200 Calories to 3100 calories????

The significance goes as the square root of the sample size (did you even know about the square root?), however, it goes linearly with the effect. Contrary to what I wrote earlier, the sample size is actually less important than the effect. What actually matters is the combination (as said before), which leads to a very low p-value in this case.

It's a standard, well-known finding that excess protein lowers testosterone. It's also intuitively obvious, as excess protein increases insulin resistance and additionally you're not going to build 100 lbs of muscle in a year..

Some other studies:
Protein ingestion prior to strength exercise affects blood hormones and metabolism.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16286871

Some bodybuilding articles if you want, those are likely the same sources who would have told you just eat more protein in the early 2000s:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/boost-testosterone-build-muscle.htm
http://www.testofuel.com/tf/too-much-protein-testosterone-side-effects/
They're convinced. The first one is particularly surprising as bodybuilding.com makes money selling protein powder.

I'm sure you'll have targeted critiques, but at the same time:
1) it's a uniform result across the literature that excess protein undermines testosterone;
2) It's intuitively obvious as excess protein => insulin resistance;
3) It's also intuitively obvious as you can't build 50-100 lbs of muscle in a year;
4) There were never any evidence or reasoning for 350 grams a day of protein in the first place, so there's no weight of evidence at the other end to balance the scales.

Last edited: