Nizoral

G

I agree on the 2%. I used it briefly and hated it.

1% is reputed to be just as effective and is very nice on the hair and scalp.

Brucelee

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah bruce, I do like you and use tsal and 1%.

I just pated the dr. lee thingy cuz it had some interesting info on the two shampoos.

However, I take in anything guarded that comes from someone who sells it :roll:

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
BruceLee said:
I1% is reputed to be just as effective and is very nice on the hair and scalp.

nizoral is the shyt. Used it yesterday. Have a new scalp today :wink: .

XL

Marsden

Reaction score
Started using minoxidil over a week ago. So far so good. Possibly had racing heartbeat occasionally but not in the last day or so.
Question...

I have not encountered any serious inflamation, itchiness or flakiness yet and use Head and Shoulders daily. Should I use Nizoral every third day right now anyway?

chuckfrasher

Reaction score
Pahars said:
Started using minoxidil over a week ago. So far so good. Possibly had racing heartbeat occasionally but not in the last day or so.
Question...

I have not encountered any serious inflamation, itchiness or flakiness yet and use Head and Shoulders daily. Should I use Nizoral every third day right now anyway?

Yes, IMHO. I would use it instead of Head and Shoulders. It seems that I remember a study that showed that the ingredient in H & S actually decreased the diameter of the hair shaft as opposed to increasing the diameter as does Nizoral.

ryanfrank

Reaction score
if nizoral irritated your scalp would a 0.5 % pyrithione zinc shampoo be okay ? or should one use nizoral

Stingray

Reaction score
Hmmm, if it irritates your scalp to the point where it's unbearable..it can't be doing any good. I'd try the other one. Or try Neutrogina products...T/Gel...T/Sal. Both good.

G

Try 1% Niizoral and TSAL together every third day. On the other days, Dr Proctors NANO shampoo.

Brucelee

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Try 1% Niizoral and TSAL together every third day. On the other days, Dr Proctors NANO shampoo.

Brucelee

A 3-Shampoo regimen? Jesus! I thought I had enough with 2...

XL

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral alone is doing pretty good work out of my itch and dandruff 3x a week, but those with extreme conditions should consider that option I guess. I just have never liked overflooding my scalp with solvents.

XL

gc78

Reaction score
stop wasting ur money on nizoral

i've been using prescription nizoral 2% 3-4x a week for 6 years since i was 19. i need it for psoriasis on my scalp. i am in serious trouble without my nizoral. my head becomes one big crusty scaly red dry monster. also my hair's thinned during these years. and several dr.'s comments i've read on these hair loss sites all say that it does nothing to stop hairloss. so why bother?

G

No one on this site has suggested that you can treat hairloss with nizoral alone. Read the research section on this site. Fact is, using nizoral with propecia and minoxidil gives you a decent (statistically speaking) chance to regrow and retain hair.

Try it.

Brucelee

jaydead

Reaction score
other problems

does anyone have any other problems with scale elsewhere besides the scalp? basically what i'm asking is not a problem of just sebum, but also white stuff that really needs to be scraped off (forehead, nose, ear, scalp) in order to come off. i spend time with a comb every morning in the shower trying to scrape as much of the stuff off my scalp as i can; otherwise, it builds up and looks like dandruff in my hair. also, the stuff seems to clog the follicles and kill off the hairs--i find fallen out hairs with chunks of stuff at the ends.

i have tried using nizoral/tsal, but perhaps i wasn't using it correctly and for enough time in the shower. maybe if i use these for 5 minutes for REAL, and then scrape, it'll come off easier and not bring as many hairs off with it?

has anyone had luck with any other treatments for the rest of the face though? on a rosacea forum awhile back last year, someone said they'd been misdiagnosed, and really had a condition called pityrosporum folliculitis. the dermotologist prescribed:

"I was put on the ant fungal pill called Sporanox
(just 5 days), given ZNP soap and a topical ant fungal
lotion called Loprox. I have 100% total clearance."

anyone know if these things can help?

thanks jay

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
follow up with a dermatologist.

sounds like your scalp has issues more severe than male pattern baldness

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, this question is a little late, but I have done little research on Nizoral and wanted to see if anybody has a quick reference or explanation. I have read several times that Nizoral has regrowth properties of it's own. I can understand that it improves the environment for Minoxidil and Finasteride to do their jobs, but inn which way can it actually regrow being an anti-fungal?

Xzel

G

I dont have any decent links but to my knowledge hairloss is a disease of inflammation and ketoconazole has anti inflammatory effects. therefore by getting rid of the inflammation the body doesnt attack the follicles allowing the hair to regrow.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

ref saying that nizoral is good for hair... might be of use.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Pretty decent information... Thanks Holly!

XL

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hollywood said:
I dont have any decent links but to my knowledge hairloss is a disease of inflammation
Hair loss is a disease of Hormonal and Genetic reactions that *can* result in an inflammation that worsens the condition. Hair loss isn't a disease of inflammation, except maybe, in part.

Here is a little something on how inflammation seems to be present in most men with male pattern baldness, and may be a contributing cause:

"Quantitative and ultrastructural analysis of inflammatory infiltrates in male pattern Alopecia"

Acta Derm Venereol 1999 Sep;79(5):347-50.

In order to determine whether lymphocytic inflammation around the lower infundibula in male pattern baldness is incidental or a general phenomenon, we performed morphometric and ultrastructural analysis of inflammatory infiltrates in the transitional zones of the vertex and occipital hairy scalps of 19 patients with male pattern baldness. Six normal subjects served as controls. The number of inflammatory infiltrates around the follicular infundibula of the alopecic vertices and non-alopecic occiputs of male pattern Alopecia patients was significantly greater than the corresponding control value. The number of mast cells in the widened fibrous tracts in the vertices of male pattern baldness patients was significantly greater than those in the adventitial fibrotic sheaths of control subjects and the non-alopecic occiputs of male pattern Alopecia patients. These data support the idea that the inflammatory process may be, at least in part, responsible for the development of male pattern Alopecia

HairLossTalk.com

Stingray

Reaction score
Hair loss isn't a disease. It's normal human evolution. Hair has no essential function in human survival anymore, so the body doesn't require it. And what it doesn't need, it doesn't keep.