Nizoral

Axon

Reaction score
Re: Confused

element676 said:
Hello.Im totally confused....Ive read alot of th posts from the general topics..and I dont understand half of this stuff.and I dont wanna oput something in my hair thats gonna make it worse..

I believe many of the people who claim that their hair was worse off after treatments are simply freaking out or suffering from advanced male pattern baldness. Guys on these boards have shattered confidence and it seems like nothing has ever challenged their physical appearance before.

I find that sort of mentality hard to listen to, as most of what they say is clearly based out of anger and fear. I also believe a lot of the younger guys expect far too much from these treatments. If you set out to get the hair you had when you were twelve back, you're going to be very disappointed.

element676 said:
anyone have an thoughts..preferablly something oragnic with no side affects....vitamins..solutions.anything that woud ave no adverse affects..also....anyone know a sit..where u can.email a doctro who may hep with this.I dont wanna go on propecia...or anything just wanna get my hair back on the temples...thanks....

If you find this "organic" treatment that reverses male pattern baldness and causes no side effects, please let us know, as you have discovered the cure! :p Sorry man, that doesn't exsist. (Though there is the Wesada regimen) As Bruce said, your best option is minoxidil + Nizoral + Finasteride.

Deano

Reaction score
Propecia to Proscar

Hello, i am 22 year old male, was on propecia for 6 months then started splitting proscar 5mg's into 4's b/c it was cheaper. Every since i started the proscar, i have noticed more shedding, and testicular pain.

Is this normal?

element676

Reaction score
Axion and BRuce thanks fror the advice and help guys..Im just stressing way to much which only makes thing worse..and also.maybe propecia doesnt work for some of these guys...cause..they stress to much which creates conditions for it not to work.just a thought...as astress is a player in all welness emetional physical ..health etc.....I notice the less i worry the less.my head tingles whatever.which means its mostly just me...worrying way to much....but.Im gonan see a derm as someone suggested...i may have some kind of demrtitis..so...btter saf than sorry....but....yeh..Im gonna try the saw palemtto...give it a try...cant hurt...if i start getting sick i'll just stop.im gonna hold off on the popecia..minodil treatments for awhile.im already using NIzoral...so.and has helped my headfeel cooler...for the most part...but...i appricate the advice.i think these sites just make me worry more.i dont get why guys with a Norwodd 2 freak out so bad....anyway....Im gonna do som hobbys start playing the drums again maybe try to get back ib a band./that will help...thanks..... :)

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got mine last night. I skimmed the study too. I guess at worst it cant hurt and at best it might really help with rogaine and other treatments.

I used it this morning. Let it sit for about 3minutes. Next time I'll try longer. My scalp and hair feel fine after using it, no problems. I'll use it 3 times a week as recommended. BTW, i only got the 1% kind. I figure its just as effective if used reguarly and left on the scalp.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Deano, if you are having testicular pain, I would half your dose again. Remember, you are taking 1.25mg dosages which is significantly higher than 1mg of propecia. I am considering going on it myself. Is it possible to half the 1.25mg quarters? That would yield you an approximate dose of .6mg daily and probably give you benefit without the side effects.

Reasons

Reaction score
Buying Nizoral in the US

What is the best online location to order Nizoral Shampoo from if you are living in the US? I heard that you can only order the 1% shampoo without a prescription, is this true?

Reasons

Reaction score
thanks brucelee.

i picked up the Nizoral 1% this weekend. i'm going to use it along with Rogaine Maximum Strength and see what happens. i've been using Rogaine twice a day for 1 week so far. i've noticed a significant increase in hairs coming out in the shower, but it's nothing to the extent that it's a visibly noticeable difference on my head. according to Rogaine this is normal and perhaps a sign that the medication is working.

i'm 22 and my crown has been thinning for quite some time now. i've decided to try to do something about it, but i'm hesistant about using a systemic treatment like the Propecia/Proscar pill to block DHT formation. i know this may be the most effective treatment for male pattern baldness available, but it's also the most risky. for now, i'd like to go with minoxidil 5%/Nizoral 1% for 6 months and see what happens.

Reasons

Reasons

Reaction score
thanks brucelee.

i picked up the Nizoral 1% this weekend. i'm going to use it along with Rogaine Maximum Strength and see what happens. i've been using Rogaine twice a day for 1 week so far. i've noticed a significant increase in hairs coming out in the shower, but it's nothing to the extent that it's a visibly noticeable difference on my head. according to Rogaine this is normal and perhaps a sign that the medication is working.

i'm 22 and my crown has been thinning for quite some time now. i've decided to try to do something about it, but i'm hesistant about using a systemic treatment like the Propecia/Proscar pill to block DHT formation. i know this may be the most effective treatment for male pattern baldness available, but it's also the most risky. for now, i'd like to go with minoxidil 5%/Nizoral 1% for 6 months and see what happens.

Reasons

G

That is a plan! You can use Kirkland 5% minoxidil and save a ton of money.

Brucelee

Remember, it takes up to a year for some folks to see the real benefits so stick with one routine.

G

i think nizoral doesnt get the acclaim it deserves.
i have only been using nizoral for the past 3 or so months as im still reseaching the different treatments.
i always have my hair cut really short as it makes it look better, ie spikey.
since ive been using it my hair feels thicker.
ive also on the nizoral days off been using head and shoulders anti-dandruff for greasy hair. and that makes it look a lot better aswell.
i think this is especially important in the summer months because last summer my hair went exremely thin, even the hairdresser remarked about it. didnt do my self esteem any good but if my hair goes very thin in the summer, this may be due to more oil being produced by the scalp in these months.
when my hair started falling out it literally stunk of oil despite washing it every day. i would wake up and it would be as if i had dipped my head in vegetable oil.
i have my own theories about hair loss i think excess sebum production has more to do with it than people realise.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah the shiny head syndrome makes male pattern baldness sufferers look even more bald, since you see the scalp shinning through the hair. I don't have it too severely, but on days when I get sweaty and sticky I hate it. I change my head pillow case every 2 days, and it has helped. See what alternatives you may find useful... Goodluck!

XL

Worriedguy

Reaction score
Nizoral didnt help me at all

I bought Nizoral over Internet. I can't remember where now. That was last year but used it this year. Whenever I used it hairs begin to fall right on the spot. I mean whenever I massaged this shampoo into my scalp I saw hairs in my hands!! I usually use Head & Shoulders shampoo. I guess Nizoral is not me.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't worry worriedguy, those are hairs that would of fallen out with any type of shampoo. They are sleeping telogen hairs and any type of friction or stimulation will toss them right off their follicles. There is no proof that Nizoral is a cause for hairloss, only the 2% like T said, and that's only because of excess dandruff, nothing having to do with free radicals or DHT. Peace!

XL

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually I have never been given a satisfactory answer by anyone as to why they have a warning on that shampoo.No others have it as far as I know.My hairloss happend to start while using 2%as well.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral 1% and Progaine combo have worked well for me so far, I love em'. Today is a nizoral day!!! :p

XL

G

Following is from Dr. Lee's web site. I make my own with TSAL and 1% Nizoral. Works like a charm.

Brucelee

As of Thursday, 21 March, 2002, Regrowth Treatment Shampoo is available to Dr. Lee's patients.

Regrowth Treatment Shampoo contains 2% ketoconazole and 3% salicylic acid, so it has the combined benefits of Nizoral 2% shampoo and Neutrogena T-sal. It helps prevent the synthesis of DHT in the scalp and will likewise help to control dandruff. Like all other products featured at http://www.minoxidil.com, it is a prescription item.

We suggest that Nizoral's Daily Conditioner be used after shampooing with the Regrowth Treatment Shampoo. If Nizoral's Daily Conditioner is used in conjunction with Regrowth's Treatment Shampoo, most patients will not notice the 'itchy feeling' generally associated with Nizoral's 2% Ketoconazole shampoo. Please keep in mind that it is not necessary to shampoo one's hair daily, and that the new Regrowth Treatment Shampoo is designed to be used two - three times a week. If you are accustomed to shampooing on a daily basis, use some other shampoo on the days you do not use the new Regrowth Treatment Shampoo.

The price of the new Regrowth Treatment Shampoo is $13.90 per bottle, and is available in a four ounce container. It is reported that Nizoral's 2% ketoconazole shampoo also comes in a four ounce container.

Regrowth's new, prescription 2% ketoconazole shampoo should not be confused with any non-prescription shampoos previously sold by Regrowth, LLC .

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Q. Do you recommend any specific shampoo?

A. Not really. However most patients are benefited by using shampoos/conditioners that contain humectants (moisturizers). It may be to the patients' advantage to use two totally different shampoos in succession or on subsequent days, e.g. use Neutrogena's Clear shampoo, which gently cleanses the scalp, and subsequently or alternatively, Nexxus' Therrapy shampoo. If two such shampoos are used together on a daily basis or on alternative days, the hair will likely look and feel its best. However, it is not necessary to wash your hair on a daily basis.

Q. What about Nizoral shampoo? Hasn't it been proven to destroy DHT?

A. Yes, it has. With the introduction of Nizoral 2% shampoo, there is now a shampoo that does have an impact on hair growth and regrowth. It is a fine shampoo, and produces regrowth results similar to 2% minoxidil solution. However, Nizoral 2% is fairly expensive and requires a prescription in the U.S. Recent studies have shown that the use of Nizoral 1% shampoo is almost equally effective in promoting thicker hair growth.

Q. Is there an alternative that is as effective, or even better, than Nizoral 2% shampoo?

A. Regrowth, LLC has formulated a shampoo that contains 2% ketoconazole and 3% salicylic acid, simply called Regrowth Treatment Shampoo.

Q. How does ketoconazole work to reduce the DHT in the scalp?

A. One of the pharmacological actions of ketoconazole is to inhibit biosynthesis of ergosterols and other sterols. It is this inhibition of sterols that decreases the amount of testosterone and DHT in the scalp, when Nizoral 2% is used topically.

Q. What is the benefit of having salicylic acid in the shampoo?

A. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic, i.e. it loosens and breaks up clumps of keratin (dandruff), allowing them to be more easily removed from the scalp. Salicylic acid is the active ingredient in anti-dandruff shampoos such as Neutrogena T-Sal and Scalpicin.

Q. Why have both ketoconazole and salicylic acid in the same shampoo?

A. Ketoconazole and salicylic acid may act synergistically. Since the salicylic acid can remove some of the dead skin layers of the epidermis, the ketoconazole can be more effective in reducing the DHT in the scalp. Using Regrowth Treatment Shampoo alone gives you the benefits of both Nizoral 2% shampoo and Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo.

Q. How should the Regrowth Treatment Shampoo be used?

A. Apply a small amount of the shampoo to the wet hair and work it into a rich lather, massaging the lather onto the scalp. Allow the lather to remain on the hair and scalp for five minutes before rinsing with warm water. This process can be repeated, if desired. Since the Regrowth Treatment Shampoo has potent cleansing abilities, it will remove most of the sebum from the scalp. You may wish to follow the shampooing with the application of a hair conditioner of your own choice. Nizoral's Daily Conditioner is generally available at large drug stores and pharmacies, and is an excellent choice for use with any ketoconazole shampoo. It comes in a 12 fluid ounce bottle, and retails for around $6.00 in the U.S.

Q. How often should the Regrowth Treatment Shampoo be used?

A. It can be used daily. However, as is true of all shampoos, you may want to alternate its use with another shampoo, so that the cosmetic effects of shampooing are optimal.

Q. Can I use the Regrowth Treatment Shampoo as the sole treatment for male pattern baldness?

A. For those patients who are not sufficiently motivated to apply topical 5% minoxidil or Xandrox on a daily basis and/or have reservations about the use of Propecia due to cost and/or side effects, the use of Regrowth Treatment Shampoo is highly recommended. Since everyone with (or without) male pattern baldness is going to shampoo anyway, it is only rational to use a shampoo that has proven benefits in the treatment of male pattern baldness.

However, for most patients, Regrowth Treatment Shampoo is recommended as an adjunctive treatment for the prevention or reversal of male pattern baldness. Ketoconazole is not a substitute for the use of topical minoxidil, but it may enhance the actions of azelaic acid or finasteride or spironolactone in suppressing DHT in the scalp