New Studies Show Vit D Implicated In Hair Loss And Calcipotriol

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Swiss was using UVB lamp to get sunburn in order to increase pge2 production.
So we can add vit D after dermarolling but, what molecule ? Calciferol?

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Swiss was using UVB lamp to get sunburn in order to increase pge2 production.
So we can add vit D after dermarolling but, what molecule ? Calciferol?

I just logged in for the first time in like a year to say can we use a UV lamp to increase sunlight exposure? I live in the UK so we don't have much sun.

Also, isn't there a risk of increased skin cancer with a UV lamp?

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmmmm, well I think something like this..

1. Take a 5alpha reductase inhibitor to keep Dht from antagonizing VDR.
2. limit wearing a hat, and get direct sun exposure on the scalp.
3. during winter months especially, use topical VDR upregulators like calcipotrol and Laser light therapy, etc.
4. supplements to consider?: cod liver oil, tocotrienals, jarrow's formula sulforaphane, etc.
5. drugs to consider?: Sulfasalazine to increase photosensitivity.
6. Dermarolling before sun exposure to combine wounding with vitamin D ( if that article was correct about VD influences stem cells)

* Pathogens can also decrease VDR, so get yourself tested to make sure you don't have chlamydia. ;)

That's what this article claims.. https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...cience-getting-closer-curing-baldness/323785/
" most promising is a team of Japanese researchers who added vitamin D to stem cells in their final phases of growth and successfully coaxed these cells into becoming hair follicles."

Don't know for sure if it's true. but if it is, I think it would explain Swiss Temple's results, he used dermarolling and sunburns in his regime.
I've written a theory in more detail on this earlier in the thread.

Is active vitamin D, Follica's secret topical??! maybe, hahaha!

It's the vitamin D specifically in the skin that's important and I think that supplementing can actually make things worse for your hair!!

this study says:
"Vitamin D3 or 7-DHC or enzyme p450 inside the skin cells’ and adipose/fat tissue cells’ mitochondria transforms cholesterol through intracellular catalytic production into pregnenolone- the mother of all hormones. Pregnenolone transforms into progesterone or DHEA, plus pregnenolone changes into more vitamin D in a photochemical reaction from sunlight with stimulation of photons of UVB in your skin. Then progesterone transforms into cortisol. And DHEA, a neurosteroid, transforms into aldosterone, estrogen, testosterone, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids, and other essential hormones"

Vitamin D3 that is taken in a supplement is not the active form of Vit D, It has to get converted later. but this says to me that VitD3 converts cholesterol into pregnenolone and then that pregnenolone could get converted into progesterone or DHEA, progesterone is a precursor to many many hormones and although has some 5 alpha reductase inhibiting ability, can also get turned into Testosterone and other Androgens later on, DHEA can also get converted into the various hormones listed above which may or may not help your hair. But exposure to sunlight causes the Pregnenolone to get turned into the active Vitamin D that we want. So, if supplementing, definitely get enough sunlight.

DHT might also atagonize the VDR in the scalp, so I doubt a highly adrogenic man would be too successful without some kind of adrogen surpression/ 5ar inhibitor.
bridgeburn you 100% nailed it in this post you got it ! so many things link to this it cannot be ignored and maybe the main factor in male pattern baldness imho.

note 2 things going on here 1 is the ability to stop further loss and 2 getting regrowth in damaged skin.

low vit D is only an indicator that your scalp has got low vit d and low sun exposure hence why supps dont work as the main thing that matters is vit d in scalp skin and vdr receptors in scalp skin. also on a totaly bald scalp if an 80 yo grandoa extra sun will not help on this wasteland skin.. however i would imagine after 1 to 2 years of scalp massage dermarolling and uv therapy for neogenisis only then would the scalp be able to grow thick hairs again.

re sulpharophane.. im getting ready to grow some broccoli sprouts at home to eat them in my nutribullet... slather it on my scalp for hair and over skin as a sunscreen all round anticancer immune regulator lol

Last edited:

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just logged in for the first time in like a year to say can we use a UV lamp to increase sunlight exposure? I live in the UK so we don't have much sun.

Also, isn't there a risk of increased skin cancer with a UV lamp?
you can use a uv lamp.. uv therapy back in the day was a treatment for male pattern baldness after all ! reason i know was an old grandpa who had skin cancer on his head was saying thats the reason ! uv for male pattern baldness treatments... reason the uv lamps are not safe is that from the sun you get uv but all other light spectrum that heals the skin ! eg red light from lasercomb does exactly this... but also all other colours are missing?? as a minimum if you used a red laser comb strait after UV and topical sulpharophane to minimise skin cancer risk maybe i could recommend it otherwise too risky vs natural sunlight.

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

3. during winter months especially, use topical VDR upregulators like calcipotrol and Laser light therapy, etc.
4. supplements to consider?: cod liver oil, tocotrienals, jarrow's formula sulforaphane, etc.
6. Dermarolling before sun exposure to combine wounding with vitamin D ( if that article was correct about VD influences stem cells)

* Pathogens can also decrease VDR, so get yourself tested to make sure you don't have chlamydia. ;)

That's what this article claims.. https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...cience-getting-closer-curing-baldness/323785/
" most promising is a team of Japanese researchers who added vitamin D to stem cells in their final phases of growth and successfully coaxed these cells into becoming hair follicles."

Don't know for sure if it's true. but if it is, I think it would explain Swiss Temple's results, he used dermarolling and sunburns in his regime.

It's the vitamin D specifically in the skin that's important and I think that supplementing can actually make things worse for your hair!!

this study says:
"Vitamin D3 or 7-DHC or enzyme p450 inside the skin cells’ and adipose/fat tissue cells’ mitochondria transforms cholesterol through intracellular catalytic production into pregnenolone- the mother of all hormones. Pregnenolone transforms into progesterone or DHEA, plus pregnenolone changes into more vitamin D in a photochemical reaction from sunlight with stimulation of photons of UVB in your skin. Then progesterone transforms into cortisol. And DHEA, a neurosteroid, transforms into aldosterone, estrogen, testosterone, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids, and other essential hormones"

Vitamin D3 that is taken in a supplement is not the active form of Vit D, It has to get converted later. but this says to me that VitD3 converts cholesterol into pregnenolone and then that pregnenolone could get converted into progesterone or DHEA, progesterone is a precursor to many many hormones and although has some 5 alpha reductase inhibiting ability, can also get turned into Testosterone and other Androgens later on, DHEA can also get converted into the various hormones listed above which may or may not help your hair. But exposure to sunlight causes the Pregnenolone to get turned into the active Vitamin D that we want. So, if supplementing, definitely get enough sunlight.

DHT might also atagonize the VDR in the scalp, so I doubt a highly adrogenic man would be too successful without some kind of adrogen surpression/ 5ar inhibitor.

I have been taking Vitamin D3 at 5000iu daily for a few months now, I live in the UK where we don't get much sun. Even though I have both fully English parents I have fairly olive skin and very dark, almost Mediterranean features (no, not adopted). Should I not be taking Vitamin D3 like you said? I take it for other health benefits though. I can't really say whether it has slowed or increased my hairloss though. Is there a different type of supplemental Vitamin D that would be more beneficial then?

Also, there is another, very interesting thread regarding the immune system and hairloss. I would be very interested if there was a way of tying these two threads together (providing a link exists, not forcing one of course).

Like I said in the other thread, i'm not very scientifically literate. I enjoy reading about it but when people go into hormones, growth factors, up and down regulation of things I start to get a little lost. This thread is interesting though, I think you could be on to something.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been taking Vitamin D3 at 5000iu daily for a few months now, I live in the UK where we don't get much sun. Even though I have both fully English parents I have fairly olive skin and very dark, almost Mediterranean features (no, not adopted). Should I not be taking Vitamin D3 like you said? I take it for other health benefits though. I can't really say whether it has slowed or increased my hairloss though. Is there a different type of supplemental Vitamin D that would be more beneficial then?

Also, there is another, very interesting thread regarding the immune system and hairloss. I would be very interested if there was a way of tying these two threads together (providing a link exists, not forcing one of course).

Like I said in the other thread, i'm not very scientifically literate. I enjoy reading about it but when people go into hormones, growth factors, up and down regulation of things I start to get a little lost. This thread is interesting though, I think you could be on to something.

Yes take Vitamin D, 5000iu will bring you up to the optimum level without being toxic. Don't bother with the bro-science recomendations above, it's all based on speculation and it won't cause hair loss. I take 5000ui a day with no problems, in fact I'd attribute it to my recent increase in response to minoxidil to it.

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes take Vitamin D, 5000iu will bring you up to the optimum level without being toxic. Don't bother with the bro-science recomendations above, it's all based on speculation and it won't cause hair loss. I take 5000ui a day with no problems, in fact I'd attribute it to my recent increase in response to minoxidil to it.

Thanks. I figured it was a high enough dose to not be toxic but not so low it won't do anything. Honestly, I really believe I was born in the wrong country haha.

I need more sun in my life.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I figured it was a high enough dose to not be toxic but not so low it won't do anything. Honestly, I really believe I was born in the wrong country haha.

I need more sun in my life.

"a significant increase in total testosterone levels (from 10.7 ± 3.9 nmol/l to 13.4 ± 4.7 nmol/l; p < 0.001), bioactive testosterone (from 5.21 ± 1.87 nmol/l to 6.25 ± 2.01 nmol/l; p = 0.001), and free testosterone levels (from 0.222 ± 0.080 nmol/l to 0.267 ± 0.087 nmol/l; p = 0.001) were observed in the vitamin D supplemented group. By contrast, there was no significant change in any testosterone measure in the placebo group. Our results suggest that vitamin D supplementation might increase testosterone levels."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21154195

The more you supplement the more you may need UV scalp exposure.

VitaminD3
l
l
V
Pregnenolone---> progesterone----> cortisol
l
l
V
DHEA-----> aldosterone, estrogen, testosterone, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"a significant increase in total testosterone levels (from 10.7 ± 3.9 nmol/l to 13.4 ± 4.7 nmol/l; p < 0.001), bioactive testosterone (from 5.21 ± 1.87 nmol/l to 6.25 ± 2.01 nmol/l; p = 0.001), and free testosterone levels (from 0.222 ± 0.080 nmol/l to 0.267 ± 0.087 nmol/l; p = 0.001) were observed in the vitamin D supplemented group. By contrast, there was no significant change in any testosterone measure in the placebo group. Our results suggest that vitamin D supplementation might increase testosterone levels."

VitaminD3
l
l
V
l
l
V
DHEA-----> aldosterone, estrogen, testosterone, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids
So vit D increases hairloss (more test = more dht)

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is silly as all available testosterone is not converted into DHT, it is the amount of 5aR that corresponds to DHT.

Additionally increased estrogen will protect against hair loss and even encourage hair growth.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
So vit D increases hairloss (more test = more dht)
I'm not saying it will necessarily. VitD3 potentially increases a variety of hormones that are both good and bad for hair. Depends on the individual's enzymes at the time. An increase in T can also cause more beneficial Estrogen if you have sufficient Aromatise.

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

VitaminD3
l
l
V
l
l
V

Aldosterone, glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids are bad for hair then? Sorry, like I said, I'm not so good at science.

Also it's funny you say I need more UV scalp exposure because 1) My hair still covers all my scalp so I can't get UV exposure until it is too late and 2) If Vitamin D3 supplementing means you need more sun exposure, why do companies sell Vitamin D3 for people who don't get enough sun exposure or work indoors?

Also, if you are correct, surely once you go bald and your hair starts getting all that UV, your hair should grow back but it doesn't?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

this study says:

i use Vitamin C serum on my face...maybe rub it on my scalp where thin

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm the same, dark featured but fully English. Maybe we're Romans, maybe those fuckers gave us balding when they invaded but in any case I don't think taking vitamin D will do anything. The UV light could be something though. The prostaglandin protocol has gone awfully quiet these past few years, maybe the reason is because they didn't take the UV light as seriously as swisstemples did. He got regrowth.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was severly deficient on vit D and one endocrinologue I saw told me it was very important for my hair to grow... I have to supplement in vit D and Iron for at least 2 years. If anything, I think it can help.

Anty has deficient vid D in the ***!

Maybe, but I think it's like this: Calcium is good for bone health but drinking milk won't make you taller.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair got darker instead of continuing graying which goes in hand with the studies.

Btw, the ideal time to get the 15-20 minutes of direct sunlight is when the light is perpendicular, which is around 12:00 to 13:00.

I don't care about grey in fact I would look pretty damn sexy with grey hair. I want ACTUAL hair. His results are not good enough.