New Studies Show Vit D Implicated In Hair Loss And Calcipotriol

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Swiss was using UVB lamp to get sunburn in order to increase pge2 production.
So we can add vit D after dermarolling but, what molecule ? Calciferol?
Calcitriol is the active form, Calciferol gets metabolised into an inactive form much quicker. Calcitriol , Vitd3 and their metabolites are stronger at inducing VDR.

Aldosterone, glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids are bad for hair then?
Possibly too much or too little are as they are involved in many bodily functions including immune response and inflammation, but I really don't know and I'm not aware of any evidence that the above is bad for hair.

If Vitamin D3 supplementing means you need more sun exposure, why do companies sell Vitamin D3 for people who don't get enough sun exposure or work indoors?

You can get an increase in active D throughout your body from supplementation, the vitD3 you consume gets converted into the active form, so supplementing for health is fine for people to do but I was saying needing more sun exposure to benefit Hair, cause increasing VDR specifically in the skin is whats important(for hair). Vitamin D3 gets sold for many health reasons and not necessarily for hair.

Sunlight tells the body to use Pregnenolone and cholesterol to make more vitamin D instead of other hormones. And UVB can also increase PGE2, so thats good too.

if you are correct, surely once you go bald and your hair starts getting all that UV, your hair should grow back but it doesn't?

Of course not. ---> Male hormones cause us to go bald, but just removing or decreasing them doesn't necessarily regrow hair. likewise, I don't expect only sunlight to reverse balding, but it can be a strong part of a regime that does..

This is hard to explain but think about this: old men have decreasing testosterone levels and don't reverse balding, (but it was stated earlier that age can decrease VDR and elderly need more vitD). We know that male hormones are required to grow facial hair.. I couldn't grow a beard before puberty, but an old man with lower male hormones doesn't suddenly lose his ability to grow facial hair.. So I don't think that androgens directly feed the facial hair to grow, but activates the genes to allow it to grow... and even if the levels decrease those genes are still on. kinda like walking into a room turning on a light switch and leaving the room.
So, you need something to walk into the room and turn that switch off, of course it would be essential to block male hormones from entering that room at the same time, cause there will be a "Competition" for the light switch if you had something like Estrogen or VDR trying to turn off the light in the same room at the same time that DHT is there trying to turn it on.

So, you definitely want to block male hormones from your scalp at the same time as VDR activation or it probably won't work.

there's also the Wounding combined with Vitamin D Theory, that wounding might be necessary before Vitamin D exposure to regrow on bald scalp.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe, but I think it's like this: Calcium is good for bone health but drinking milk won't make you taller.

I disagree. I have only anecdotal evidence, but a friend of mine who used to drink ONLY milk as a child/teen and into his 20's amazingly grew 2-3" between age 21-23. As you know, it is very rare for a man to continue growing after age 21. I fully credit the milk for allowing him to maximize his genetic potential that late in life.

Last edited:

bassa

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So what we know now is some people have a genetic defect in the VIT D receptors in the scalp ,so they need a lot more sun than normal to get the same growth effect and more inflammation response from the Sun as someone without it.

Now I'm thinking...
Is this why our bodies drop the hairs.. because it wants to absorp more vit D, since we lack a lot of VDR

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Estrogen protects hair from androgen alopecia. Not sure where people are getting this information.

Lots of women start losing their hair after menopause. Most females lose their hair probably around
twenty years after men start (around 20, for agressive balding).

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
From horrible hair to terrible hair...

I honestly dont hope that anyone would consider this progress or success.
considering that he looks like he's really old. And a Norwood 7. It's a pretty good improvement for an old man with norwood 7.

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will disappoint more than one .
I did a blood test recently and I have a rate of vit D a less than normal
I took hormones during this time and I had a great regrowth despite everything
In France, the majority of people have very low vitamin D levels but they do not loose their hair

Last edited:

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will disappoint more than one .
I did a blood test recently and I have a rate of vit D a less than normal
I took hormones during this time and I had a great regrowth despite everything
In France, the majority of people have very low vitamin D levels but they do not lose their hair
it's not about vitamin D levels directly but the vitamin D receptor. estrogen, for example, activates the vitamin d receptor

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
what's the different ?
Hmmmm, well how to explain, if a hormone attaches to a receptor and activates it, then it causes effects. like sticking a key in the door lock and opening a door.

So, like with estrogen can cause Boobs, but not Every girl has big boobs even if they have high estrogen levels, it's not just the Estrogen levels but the estrogen levels And the amount of receptors in the boobs, or how well their own receptors are working in that area.

So with Vitamin D, its the activation of the Vitamin D Receptors that according to studies, is involved with starting the anagen phase of hair growth.
The Active form of Vitamin D can activate the Vitamin D Receptor, but it's not the only thing that does that. The vitamin D, you get from diet has to be converted by your body to the active type in order to upregulate the VDR. There are Vitamin D Receptors throughout the body, but of course, the ones in the scalp skin specifically is what we'd want to focus on for hair.

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmmmm, well how to explain, if a hormone attaches to a receptor and activates it, then it causes effects. like sticking a key in the door lock and opening a door.

So, like with estrogen can cause Boobs, but not Every girl has big boobs even if they have high estrogen levels, it's not just the Estrogen levels but the estrogen levels And the amount of receptors in the boobs, or how well their own receptors are working in that area.

So with Vitamin D, its the activation of the Vitamin D Receptors that according to studies, is involved with starting the anagen phase of hair growth.
The Active form of Vitamin D can activate the Vitamin D Receptor, but it's not the only thing that does that. The vitamin D, you get from diet has to be converted by your body to the active type in order to upregulate the VDR. There are Vitamin D Receptors throughout the body, but of course, the ones in the scalp skin specifically is what we'd want to focus on for hair.
u must have a minimum of vit D to upregulate the VDR and what's the VDR ?

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
u must have a minimum of vit D to upregulate the VDR and what's the VDR ?
VDR is vitamin D receptor activity. Several things upregulate it and several other things downregulate it.