New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetsymphony

Reaction score
Hey all! I've been lurking this thread for about a few weeks now, took me a while to read through most of these posts. Lots of good information here and it keeps me motivated to keep going.

Quick background of myself before I continue. I'm a female in my late 20s with male pattern baldness. Receding hairline and thinning crown. I would say I'm about a Norwood 2-3. I first noticed my hair loss when I was 22. Hair loss sucks for guys but it is DEVASTATING for women! I used to have such long, beautiful, thick hair and to see so many hairs falling out through the last few years has made me really depressed and self conscious. I spend so much time thinking about my hair that its an obsession. I've tried so many things and wasted so much money on trying to fix my hair loss situation. I even got a hair transplant 2 years ago. Now, the hair behind my grafts are starting to thin out and fall out and its starting to look a bit unnatural. I can either keep getting hair transplants to chase my hairline (which I do not want to do) or figure out how to fix this once and for all.

I started DR around the end of August before I even found this thread. It was mentioned on another forum and after doing some research, it seemed like a very promising solution. It always made sense for me to roll until I bled even though most studies and forums tell you once you bleed, you've pressed too hard. Started off with a 1mm dermaroller and rolled every 3-5 days with no minoxidil. When I found this thread, about 3 weeks ago, I decided to add minoxidil and upped my DR to a 1.5mm and only roll once every 7-10 days, hard and bloody. Because of my long hair, each rolling session takes over 30 mins for me. Yes, its painful but I treat it like a gym workout (reading your guys' post about how painful this is pretty hilarious for me). Girls know at a young age that pain = beauty. Try wearing 4-6 inch heels for more than 6 hours!! Lol.

Even though I've been shedding more than usual, my overall hair feels thicker and I can see lots of vellus hairs popping up around my hairline (noticed it even before I added the minoxidil but today i realized the vellus hairs getting darker!). However, there is a possibility that these tiny hairs are just my normal hair miniaturizing. I can not be 100% sure so I took a few pictures today to start documenting my journey. I will post pictures later when I figure out how to but you can clearly see the thick transplanted hairs and the small vellus hairs surrounding it.

What REALLY got me excited about DR was when I was watching Tosh.0 one night about a month ago. I'm honestly surprised after going through 300+ pages of this thread that no one has mention Daniel Tosh talking about what helped his hair -- "years of needles, pills and creams". He also shows pics of his hair during season 1 where it was VERY obvious that he was losing his hair. Since I've gotten a hair transplant before, I know for sure his hair is natural and not a transplant, I can tell the difference. Transplanted hairs (no matter how great the surgeon) will never look as natural or dense as your own natural hair.

I'm not able to post the vid yet since I'm new to the forum but google "Tosh.0 extended interviews redemption reunion spectacular---where-are-they-now" and it should be there. If it is the whole vid and not broken up into sections, you should be able to locate it around the 6:30 mark.

I really feel like we're on to something here. Hope this video encourages some of you to keep going. I know real results take time and I'm going to keep doing this for a least a year before I judge if this does not work. This is my last ditch effort, guys. If DR + minoxidil doesn't work for me, I'm seriously considering shaving it all off and wearing a wig.

I should also mention that I just added the 30% glycolic acid a couple weeks ago too. I really believe that exfoliating your scalp is key and DR helps remove years of built up fibrosis. About 2-3 days after rolling (when my scalp isn't too sore), I like to use a good quality boar bristle brush to remove all of the excess flaky skin. A hairbrush is a great exfoliating tool, when I brush, I bend over at the waist and I can see all of my the dead skin fall off. Feels nice for my scalp too.

Good luck guys and keep posting your results! It's been awesome reading all of your thoughts and findings!

Thor9

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have to wait 24 hours to apply any topical or just minoxidil? I don't plan on using minoxidil but I am going to start using topical spironolactone and was wondering if I should also wait 24 hours before applying it?

sweetsymphony

Reaction score
No you don't have to wait 24 hours. I believe the reason they have you wait 24 hours before applying minoxidil is because it could be risky if too much minoxidil gets absorbed into your system. Could be bad for your heart if you have cardiovascular issues since minoxidil was initially created as a vasodilator medicine.

I don't wait the full 24 hours before applying minoxidil. If you don't plan on using minoxidil, I hear emu oil is a great to add to your scalp after a rolling session since it could help increases your subcutaneous fats cells and it penetrates deep into your epidermis.

K

karankaran

I USE soy isfolavones by LEF and I can say that they work good ... THE SOY ISOFLAVONES COME IN TWO FORMS And the readily absorbed one is AGLYCONE Form..which is present in LEF one..

ganonford

Established Member
Reaction score
No you don't have to wait 24 hours. I believe the reason they have you wait 24 hours before applying minoxidil is because it could be risky if too much minoxidil gets absorbed into your system. Could be bad for your heart if you have cardiovascular issues since minoxidil was initially created as a vasodilator medicine.

I don't wait the full 24 hours before applying minoxidil. If you don't plan on using minoxidil, I hear emu oil is a great to add to your scalp after a rolling session since it could help increases your subcutaneous fats cells and it penetrates deep into your epidermis.

Well, the real problem about minoxidil over-absoption, is not the cardiovascular side effects, as if you get those, all you have to do is stop and they will go away. The real problem is that it can affect the collagen synthesis, aging the face. The famous "minoxidil face". This side effect, is not something you get from one day to the other... it may take months to appear (or even more), as it builds up slowly, and just like that, it can take a lot of time to reverse it completely...

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I USE soy isfolavones by LEF and I can say that they work good ... THE SOY ISOFLAVONES COME IN TWO FORMS And the readily absorbed one is AGLYCONE Form..which is present in LEF one..

[SIZE=+1]Soy Isoflavones reduces DHT, increase Testosterone, increases IGF-1 in skin, inhibit VCAM-1 expression. I wonders how much do you need to see visible results?
[/SIZE]

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all! I've been lurking this thread for about a few weeks now, took me a while to read through most of these posts. Lots of good information here and it keeps me motivated to keep going.

Quick background of myself before I continue. I'm a female in my late 20s with male pattern baldness. Receding hairline and thinning crown. I would say I'm about a Norwood 2-3. I first noticed my hair loss when I was 22. Hair loss sucks for guys but it is DEVASTATING for women! I used to have such long, beautiful, thick hair and to see so many hairs falling out through the last few years has made me really depressed and self conscious. I spend so much time thinking about my hair that its an obsession. I've tried so many things and wasted so much money on trying to fix my hair loss situation. I even got a hair transplant 2 years ago. Now, the hair behind my grafts are starting to thin out and fall out and its starting to look a bit unnatural. I can either keep getting hair transplants to chase my hairline (which I do not want to do) or figure out how to fix this once and for all.

I started DR around the end of August before I even found this thread. It was mentioned on another forum and after doing some research, it seemed like a very promising solution. It always made sense for me to roll until I bled even though most studies and forums tell you once you bleed, you've pressed too hard. Started off with a 1mm dermaroller and rolled every 3-5 days with no minoxidil. When I found this thread, about 3 weeks ago, I decided to add minoxidil and upped my DR to a 1.5mm and only roll once every 7-10 days, hard and bloody. Because of my long hair, each rolling session takes over 30 mins for me. Yes, its painful but I treat it like a gym workout (reading your guys' post about how painful this is pretty hilarious for me). Girls know at a young age that pain = beauty. Try wearing 4-6 inch heels for more than 6 hours!! Lol.

Even though I've been shedding more than usual, my overall hair feels thicker and I can see lots of vellus hairs popping up around my hairline (noticed it even before I added the minoxidil but today i realized the vellus hairs getting darker!). However, there is a possibility that these tiny hairs are just my normal hair miniaturizing. I can not be 100% sure so I took a few pictures today to start documenting my journey. I will post pictures later when I figure out how to but you can clearly see the thick transplanted hairs and the small vellus hairs surrounding it.

What REALLY got me excited about DR was when I was watching Tosh.0 one night about a month ago. I'm honestly surprised after going through 300+ pages of this thread that no one has mention Daniel Tosh talking about what helped his hair -- "years of needles, pills and creams". He also shows pics of his hair during season 1 where it was VERY obvious that he was losing his hair. Since I've gotten a hair transplant before, I know for sure his hair is natural and not a transplant, I can tell the difference. Transplanted hairs (no matter how great the surgeon) will never look as natural or dense as your own natural hair.

I'm not able to post the vid yet since I'm new to the forum but google "Tosh.0 extended interviews redemption reunion spectacular---where-are-they-now" and it should be there. If it is the whole vid and not broken up into sections, you should be able to locate it around the 6:30 mark.

I really feel like we're on to something here. Hope this video encourages some of you to keep going. I know real results take time and I'm going to keep doing this for a least a year before I judge if this does not work. This is my last ditch effort, guys. If DR + minoxidil doesn't work for me, I'm seriously considering shaving it all off and wearing a wig.

I should also mention that I just added the 30% glycolic acid a couple weeks ago too. I really believe that exfoliating your scalp is key and DR helps remove years of built up fibrosis. About 2-3 days after rolling (when my scalp isn't too sore), I like to use a good quality boar bristle brush to remove all of the excess flaky skin. A hairbrush is a great exfoliating tool, when I brush, I bend over at the waist and I can see all of my the dead skin fall off. Feels nice for my scalp too.

Good luck guys and keep posting your results! It's been awesome reading all of your thoughts and findings!

Daniel Tosh is a bad ***! he sprays homeless people with fe-breeze LOL!

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Tosh's hair regrowth is amazing. I always figured he got a hair transplant since he's a big time celebrity. The fact he said needles, pills, and creams... wonder if he really meant dermarolling (needles) with spironolactone (cream) and finasteride (pill). :p

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
quick dermarolling tutorial on youtube (not my video)
will prevent most redundant questions on this thread

[video=youtube;mHTdVOvnBB4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHTdVOvnBB4[/video]

roll on:firing:

Lol Norwood negative 1 and that pic,

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score

Welcome aboard sweetsymphony!
Yeah, I saw that Tosh episode and had the same thoughts. Whatever he's doing it worked.
(It's the Afro Ninja clip)

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/2013/10/23/extended-interviews-redemption-reunion-spectacular

Do you have to wait 24 hours to apply any topical or just minoxidil? I don't plan on using minoxidil but I am going to start using topical spironolactone and was wondering if I should also wait 24 hours before applying it?

I have been applying minoxidil immediately after rolling without any ill effects. However, assuming you're male, I would definitely wait the 24 hrs before applying spironolactone. Systemic spironolactone is no bueno for guys.

sweetsymphony

Reaction score
Tosh's hair regrowth is amazing. I always figured he got a hair transplant since he's a big time celebrity. The fact he said needles, pills, and creams... wonder if he really meant dermarolling (needles) with spironolactone (cream) and finasteride (pill). :p

I wouldn't rule out that possibility. Daniel Tosh does seem to have very smooth skin with not a lot of wrinkles so spironolactone seems like a better guess than minoxidiil.

I've always been very curious about how he regrew his hair and when I watched him say that along with showing his before pics it made sense and it made me very excited!! When he says "years of needles to the scalp" what else could it be besides DR? :)

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out that possibility. Daniel Tosh does seem to have very smooth skin with not a lot of wrinkles so spironolactone seems like a better guess than minoxidiil.

I've always been very curious about how he regrew his hair and when I watched him say that along with showing his before pics it made sense and it made me very excited!! When he says "years of needles to the scalp" what else could it be besides DR? :)

Could it also be Platelet Rich Plasma injections?

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
Instead of soy isoflavones you could use phytoestrogens aswell as minimal doses of Estradiol (for not getting sides)

sweetsymphony

Reaction score
Could it also be Platelet Rich Plasma injections?

Haha after I posted my comment, I thought of PRP injections too! That could very well also be the case, I'm obviously just hopeful that he used a dermaroller when he said "needles to the head" since that's what I'm using now ;-)

Acell and PRP injections were brought to my attention when I was researching / shopping around to do my hair transplant 2 years ago. One of the surgeons said it would be an additional $1500 on top of my transplant cost but since he said he couldn't guarantee results due to the fact it was still a new treatment, I opted to skip out on it. He did say it was generating buzz because it was featured on 60 mins or something.

$1500 for something hopeful but not guaranteed just seemed like a quick gimmick to make $$ off of me at the time. However, since it works with wounding and knowing now what I know, it may very well be a viable treatment to restoring hairloss. Completely ruling that out would be pretty ignorant of me and Daniel Tosh does seem to have more than enough funds to get all the PRP injections he wants.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on the dermarolling thread over on BTT today, jeez what a bunch of whiny b****s and noobs over there. This is the place to be.

CharlesXavier

Reaction score
Whats spironolactone!? And whts all this soy isoflovones or whatever how do they work? Should i add thus to my regimen? Im looking for mino alternatives

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score

he did get a hair transplant, thats what he meant by needles, perhaps creams he meant PRP/acell but more than liekley minoxidil (he wouldnt really know what it truly is), and of course he takes finasteride.

Hes got the money for a great transplant.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on the dermarolling thread over on BTT today, jeez what a bunch of whiny b****s and noobs over there. This is the place to be.

Blame the mods. The forum is overrun by restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.