My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

altsequence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just started using zix last week in addition to my 2.5mg of oral minoxidil a day (which I've been on for a year now), and the .6% topical dutasteride once a week I've been on for about two months.

I pretty quickly noticed a decrease in shed on this stuff, almost overnight. This has happened with other treatments I've tried in the past, and then 2-3 weeks into use the effects plummet. Can any other users speak to the sustainability of results with zix? Is it common for it to lose effectiveness? I'm hoping not because the results were quick and drastic.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just started using zix last week in addition to my 2.5mg of oral minoxidil a day (which I've been on for a year now), and the .6% topical dutasteride once a week I've been on for about two months.

I pretty quickly noticed a decrease in shed on this stuff, almost overnight. This has happened with other treatments I've tried in the past, and then 2-3 weeks into use the effects plummet. Can any other users speak to the sustainability of results with zix? Is it common for it to lose effectiveness? I'm hoping not because the results were quick and drastic.
do you have any blood test results before and after dutasteride

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score

The reduced shedding should continue indefinitely. You may go through the odd period where you shed a little more than other times, but this may just be a seasonal thing. Your shedding should always be less than it would be without zix.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score

here is my hair after 5 years of using Zix. The last year (throughout the age of 28), I noticeable receded more on my left temple. hence the widow peak look....

how do you guys think overall that I have maintained?

I just turned 29 last week. What norwood before and after?

That's 5 years! It could be your hair has receded and your crown is thinner. Ive never said it's 100% effective, for me it's reduced my hair loss to a snails pace. And over the past 15 years, it has progressed. But it's so slow that I know as long as Im relatively young (under 60) I'll have a decent amount of hair.

After 15 years of use, I did however jump on minoxidil though 6 months ago (1x a day) as the recession and thinning was starting to be undeniable - I hated getting my photo taken because my hair looked so thin. Needless to day I was just comparing photos from 4 years to now, and ive noticed I look much better in the photos, while my hairline is higher, my hair looks thick. I am happy taking photos these days, I was not a year or even three years ago.

On a day to day basis I find it hard to see the gains, but they are there, and I will continue to use minoxidil with zix. I think so far its been a good combo. Anyhow, maybe adding minoxidil could be an option for you 1x day spread a few hours apart from zix.

I have b6 10 mg, When I break 15 pills, there is a very thick deposit at the bottom.
How many minimum pills should I break.
7 or 8 or 9 ? how many
Does the sediment at the bottom of the bottle matter? , should i filter ?
15 sounds rights if only 10mgs. what brand is it? You can try 14 or 13 even. Have you tried using a pill crusher to get it finer? There is always sediment though. You also need to shake it well before use.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone prepared the formula more than 60ml?

I think after a few weeks the formula starts to work less. I would not prepare more than 60mls at a time.

Maybe storing it in the fridge may help, but in my case I keep it at room temp.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A related clinical study stated that 0.5 mg/day of dutasteride could lower scalp DHT levels by more than 51%, and 5 mg/day of finasteride could lower scalp DHT levels by ~41%.

If these are correct, 5AR1 only converts 10% of the scalp DHT. Assuming Zix blocks 90% of 5AR, it blocks 9% of total DHT and that 9% increase in testosterone will be converted by 5AR2 or 5AR3. Let's assume half of it will be converted by 5AR2 (probably incorrect), So we will only have 4.5% increase in DHT that is converted by 5AR2. From the same study you mentioned, zinc sulfate blocked around 15% I guess, 15-4.5, that makes 10.5% total inhibition. If we also assume that the info I posted above is correct, finasteride can only block DHT2and3 by 41%, again assuming 5ar2and3 are in equal amounts, it only blocks 20.5%, the half of what Zix does. Meaning that finasteride is only two folds more effective than zix. So if someone who is destined to become a nw7 and can maintain a nw1 on fina, the same person may maintain a nw3 on zix. The user stories check in too. This is all probably incorrect to some degree but there you go
Interesting, although the reduced aromatase expression probably contributes to zix's lack of regrowth.

altsequence

My Regimen
Reaction score
do you have any blood test results before and after dutasteride
I didn't do any blood tests for topical dutasteride. In my personal experience, I've been so incredibly sensitive to anti-androgen treatments that any glimpse of the typical sides would be enough for me to call it quits.

I saw noticeable decrease in shed from the once a week application at .06%, but then it picked up a little bit over time - Hence me adding Zix to the mix. I figure combining the two would be more conducing to minimizing sides than increasing the concentration of the topical dutasteride.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't do any blood tests for topical dutasteride. In my personal experience, I've been so incredibly sensitive to anti-androgen treatments that any glimpse of the typical sides would be enough for me to call it quits.

I saw noticeable decrease in shed from the once a week application at .06%, but then it picked up a little bit over time - Hence me adding Zix to the mix. I figure combining the two would be more conducing to minimizing sides than increasing the concentration of the topical dutasteride.
Are you in the topical dutasteride Discord?

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
I check it out from time to time, it's just difficult to not get caught in the weeds of discussion in there.
We are making a spreadsheet, can you summarize your experience with topical dutasteride along with other experiences with antiandrogens in general?

cloudsanrain

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi worm !
I have a question for you . Wich brand of b6 psp are you using from Amazon ? Is it the Pure encapsulation b6 psp brand for $39.99 ?

Shedding91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone point me to where they get their 70% ethyl alcohol from? It’s bizarrely difficult to find for some reason. I found isopropyl but not ethyl

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi worm !
I have a question for you . Wich brand of b6 psp are you using from Amazon ? Is it the Pure encapsulation b6 psp brand for $39.99 ?

Pure encapsulations is good - $40 sounds crazy expensive though. I use ecological formulas - B6 p5p in 20mg tablet form (which i crush up in a pill crusher).

I would search the net for a better deal.

PeterMountain

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I started using Zix about a week ago and immediately noticed an increase in shedding. By immediate, I mean the day after first application and it has not stopped since. Did anyone else experience this?

Templah

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started a month ago and my shedding increased recently.

I also just went through 5 days of ball ache and very increased libido.
Coincidence?

Last edited:

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's 5 years! It could be your hair has receded and your crown is thinner. Ive never said it's 100% effective, for me it's reduced my hair loss to a snails pace. And over the past 15 years, it has progressed. But it's so slow that I know as long as Im relatively young (under 60) I'll have a decent amount of hair.

After 15 years of use, I did however jump on minoxidil though 6 months ago (1x a day) as the recession and thinning was starting to be undeniable - I hated getting my photo taken because my hair looked so thin. Needless to day I was just comparing photos from 4 years to now, and ive noticed I look much better in the photos, while my hairline is higher, my hair looks thick. I am happy taking photos these days, I was not a year or even three years ago.

On a day to day basis I find it hard to see the gains, but they are there, and I will continue to use minoxidil with zix. I think so far its been a good combo. Anyhow, maybe adding minoxidil could be an option for you 1x day spread a few hours apart from zix.

15 sounds rights if only 10mgs. what brand is it? You can try 14 or 13 even. Have you tried using a pill crusher to get it finer? There is always sediment though. You also need to shake it well before use.

same, I think zix needs a boost from another treatment to be effective

LLLT + zix worked well for me, when using either alone l lost ground

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny observation. Not sure what's going on, im noticing my old hair line on my scalp/forehead. I've receded 1-1.5 inches i would say. I dont know what's going on, but I see where the old hairline was, as there are a few errant hairs along it. It's not like their new fuzz or anything, but full longer hairs. I wonder if those are old hairs thickening up perhaps. it actually looks a bit strange as there may be 5-15 hairs in that area, but nothing else until my hairline an inch back.

Also, in the corner/temple area, I think im seeing some newish hair filling in.

My hair has recessed, and maybe it's just old harline growing back in that I shed when i started minoxidil on top of zix, it's hard to say.

Is it actual regrowth? im leaning towards yes, because my hair looks much better (hasnt looked this good in pictures people take of me in several years) after adding minoxidil for the past 6 months. Also my grown has filled in some, and my hair looks way better when it's now than it did 6 months ago, or even 5 years ago.

It's not like ive experienced overnight regrowth though, it's 6 month now, so im not sure how long these possible gains will continue before they plateau. Maybe with zix they will continue past a year or two or more as I have the anti-dht in zix with the growing power of minoxidil - it's all an experiment so hard to say until i go down this path. They say it peaks around a year on minoxidil alone, but im in my 40's, so maybe my gains will be limited. So it's anyones guess, but at the same time im not trying to get my hopes up, despite my being happy with the results so far.

Anyhow, if you find zix works for you. And you've experimented with minoxidil in the past and that's worked in some capacity, it could be applying each 1x a day spread several hours apart may benefit you as well, possible more as you guys are likely several years younger.

I'll keep updating as i have been since day 1.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny observation. Not sure what's going on, im noticing my old hair line on my scalp/forehead. I've receded 1-1.5 inches i would say. I dont know what's going on, but I see where the old hairline was, as there are a few errant hairs along it. It's not like their new fuzz or anything, but full longer hairs. I wonder if those are old hairs thickening up perhaps. it actually looks a bit strange as there may be 5-15 hairs in that area, but nothing else until my hairline an inch back.

Also, in the corner/temple area, I think im seeing some newish hair filling in.

My hair has recessed, and maybe it's just old harline growing back in that I shed when i started minoxidil on top of zix, it's hard to say.

Is it actual regrowth? im leaning towards yes, because my hair looks much better (hasnt looked this good in pictures people take of me in several years) after adding minoxidil for the past 6 months. Also my grown has filled in some, and my hair looks way better when it's now than it did 6 months ago, or even 5 years ago.

It's not like ive experienced overnight regrowth though, it's 6 month now, so im not sure how long these possible gains will continue before they plateau. Maybe with zix they will continue past a year or two or more as I have the anti-dht in zix with the growing power of minoxidil - it's all an experiment so hard to say until i go down this path. They say it peaks around a year on minoxidil alone, but im in my 40's, so maybe my gains will be limited. So it's anyones guess, but at the same time im not trying to get my hopes up, despite my being happy with the results so far.

Anyhow, if you find zix works for you. And you've experimented with minoxidil in the past and that's worked in some capacity, it could be applying each 1x a day spread several hours apart may benefit you as well, possible more as you guys are likely several years younger.

I'll keep updating as i have been since day 1.

it’s probably your old hairline
Same happened with LLLT
Will definitely recommend that you periodically see a derm to double check progress

I see one every 6 months