My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your lord and saviour has the same idea, adding saw palmetto and others.... He obviously thinks zix isn't strong enough.

I would love to tweak it with other sh*t but the trouble is you never know what meds interact and f*** each other up

Agreed, that's why I'm reluctant as well. For all I know though I may be missing out on some really good results by not adding minoxidil for example.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Speaking of minoxidil and zix I came across this post.

http://hairlosshelp.com/FORUMS/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=58856

my results with zix alone were not good, though i did quit minoxidil cold turkey at the same time so that could have thrown the results off.
my results with zix and minoxidil were IMHO quite good. i was once again growing some new hair and halted shedding. with minoxidil & finasteride alone i had experienced a slow decline. twice over the past 3 years i have ran out of zix and was too lazy to make a new batch. each time i shed, but i regained what i lost when i got back on the zix (the first time i ran out). the second time i ran out was back around november and i lost alot of ground(worse than i have ever been). i started super zix w/AA and minoxidil and dropped finasteride completely in the beginning of april. so far my hair loss is as close to zero as it can get. i am beginning to see a few terminal hair sprouts here & there, similar experience to when i started & restarted zix in the past.

i don't expect to regain any more than what i lost since november.

at night i apply 1ml azelaic acid, let it dry, 1ml super zix, let it dry, then 1ml of minoxidil. i do the same in the morning except i use only .5ml of each, as this many topicals leaves your hair looking a mess.

i also feel that the azelaic acid is making my hair look dry & brittle. conditioner helps, but then when you apply your topicals your hair really looks a mess. i may be better off with shorter hair.

side note- i have very oily skin and a problem with clogged pores. i now apply the azelaic acid solution to my "t- zone" (nose & under eyes) twice a day. my skin is not oily any more & the clogged pores seem to be clearing up
face-icon-small-smile.gif

Un quote

INT

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since finasteride was a nightmare for me I am very interested in starting with zix. Can´t believe I never heard of it before since the anecdotal success rate seems to be higher than that of for example RU.

Questions
1) Why is it no longer possible to order normal Zix (without SP)
2) How many months you go with 1 order?
3) Any experiences with hair muck?

Thanks!

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My personal anecdote on this: I practically washed my scalp every day with a tweaked version of the commercial alfatradiol. Used the double of the standard % for months. Guess what? Nothing, of course. Ultra-low doses of finasteride, on the other hand, were perceivable in a matter of 10 days!
How do you tweak it to double its concentration? Distill it to half the volume??

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Most success stories for zix come from a "triple strength" version. This version consists of: 120 ml distilled water, 3 caps of zinc sulphate, and 120 mgs of B6 p-5-p. That's it.

Over the years, people have tinkered with the formula, but the above has the most consistent track record. If you want to use it with minoxidil, my advice would be to apply the zix (preferably to a hydrated scalp if possible) wait a few minutes for it to dry, then apply minoxidil.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most success stories for zix come from a "triple strength" version. This version consists of: 120 ml distilled water, 3 caps of zinc sulphate, and 120 mgs of B6 p-5-p. That's it.

Over the years, people have tinkered with the formula, but the above has the most consistent track record. If you want to use it with minoxidil, my advice would be to apply the zix (preferably to a hydrated scalp if possible) wait a few minutes for it to dry, then apply minoxidil.

I seem to recall this as well. Im actually at the same amounts, except half the liquid (so 2x concentration of 3x zix). I wonder how I will respond if I scale back the b6 - I think I may try this in my next batch by halving my b6.

@JWM2 Do others not use ethyl alcohol?

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall this as well. Im actually at the same amounts, except half the liquid (so 2x concentration of 3x zix). I wonder how I will respond if I scale back the b6 - I think I may try this in my next batch by halving my b6.

@JWM2 Do others not use ethyl alcohol?

Most, if not all success stories I've read over the years do not use ethyl alcohol. For a while there, people were using Zix with lemon juice with good effect, but classic old Zix in distilled water seems to do something.

Kyle889

My Regimen
Reaction score
So far my experience with zix and azeliac acid has been pretty positive. I've only been on it for about a week and a half but I feel like it definitely does something for sure. The itch seems to be much less consistent after I put it on and when I combine it with micro needling (1.5MM) which I've been trying to do every other day, my head won't itch at all for that day. My AA solution is only about 15% ethanol (used 95% everclear to do this) and my zix is just distilled water which is great because my scalp has become pretty sensitive to strong alcohol solutions.

Also just some minor details. I got the mixture on my arm once on accident and it definitely created a pretty strong but non-irritating warming sensation. Additionally, I feel that without micro needling or using some form of minoxidil my scalp will eventually start consistently itching again depending on how long it has been since I did either (usually only a day or two tops). I've been using minoxidil based solutions for too long to completely avoid it I guess. I've also been switching my use of minoxidil on and off in conjunction with the zix/AA and at least a couple times my scalp got a huge blood rush from it, way more than it usually does using just minoxidil alone every night. It might be due to my infrequent use of it or maybe there are some benefits using them in conjunction (which I know goes against the study joe sights on the website so don't take this as truth at all). Also I switched to the foam version of minoxidil maybe a week before starting zix so that might also be playing a factor.

Anyway this is just me speculating at this point. I'll let you guys know in a month or two how it is actually going.

Last edited:

INT

Reaction score
Most, if not all success stories I've read over the years do not use ethyl alcohol. For a while there, people were using Zix with lemon juice with good effect, but classic old Zix in distilled water seems to do something.

How is this possible without a vehicle?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
So far my experience with zix and azeliac acid has been pretty positive. I've only been on it for about a week and a half but I feel like it definitely does something for sure. The itch seems to be much less consistent after I put it on and when I combine it with micro needling (1.5MM) which I've been trying to do every other day, my head won't itch at all for that day. My AA solution is only about 15% ethanol (used 95% everclear to do this) and my zix is just distilled water which is great because my scalp has become pretty sensitive to strong alcohol solutions.

Also just some minor details. I got the mixture on my arm once on accident and it definitely created a pretty strong but non-irritating warming sensation. Additionally, I feel that without micro needling or using some form of minoxidil my scalp will eventually start consistently itching again depending on how long it has been since I did either (usually only a day or two tops). I've been using minoxidil based solutions for too long to completely avoid it I guess. I've also been switching my use of minoxidil on and off in conjunction with the zix/AA and at least a couple times my scalp got a huge blood rush from it, way more than it usually does using just minoxidil alone every night. It might be due to my infrequent use of it or maybe there are some benefits using them in conjunction (which I know goes against the study joe sights on the website so don't take this as truth at all). Also I switched to the foam version of minoxidil maybe a week before starting zix so that might also be playing a factor.

Anyway this is just me speculating at this point. I'll let you guys know in a month or two how it is actually going.

Great to hear, how often do you apply minoxidil then, just once at night? And how often zix?

Kyle889

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great to hear, how often do you apply minoxidil then, just once at night? And how often zix?

I was really just playing around with it for the first week and a half to see what I wanted to do. I am definitely going to applying the zix and AA twice a day. Along with micro needling every other day and maybe just mess around with the concentration a bit and amount of alcohol. Possibly try to micro needle everyday.

Honestly, If I can get away with not using minoxidil I want to because sometimes it will cause my hair to become very dry/brittle even though the itch will go away and when this happens it definitely causes my hair to fall the next day (this has been happening to me just over the last few months I'm assuming it's because of the large amounts of ethanol). But also because of what @JWM2 has just said. Anyway I'll try to keep on course with the above and if I feel I need it eventually I'm going to add minoxidil just at night again. I'm going to try to not use the minoxidil for at least a month because I feel like I've been tinkering too much and it has effected my results. I'll keep a log and keep you posted though if/when I change anything.

stupidkoko

Reaction score
Ok so I have made my zix consisting of worms formula but with the ethyl alcohol replaced with further destilled water, so no alcohols.
I have only used it for 2-3 days so obviously I'll probably need to wait at least 3 months before I can tell if it's working or not.
My initial reaction is just wow, the cosmetic effect is amazing. My hair looks almost twice as thick and stands up nicely with the zix applied, so I might aswell be using it just for the thickening effect. I haven't tried but the often talked sea salt spray might be something comparable with this.
The Zix got a yellowish color to it because of the b6/p5p but this is not visible at all when put on the scalp.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so I have made my zix consisting of worms formula but with the ethyl alcohol replaced with further destilled water, so no alcohols.
I have only used it for 2-3 days so obviously I'll probably need to wait at least 3 months before I can tell if it's working or not.
My initial reaction is just wow, the cosmetic effect is amazing. My hair looks almost twice as thick and stands up nicely with the zix applied, so I might aswell be using it just for the thickening effect. I haven't tried but the often talked sea salt spray might be something comparable with this.
The Zix got a yellowish color to it because of the b6/p5p but this is not visible at all when put on the scalp.

Totally, that's half the reason I use it, it makes my hair look way thicker than it is. It's cheaper than any gel or paste you can buy which only makes my hair look thinner.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on zix a couple of weeks. No benefit yet hair wise but this stuff makes me horny as f***

Zinc is strange, raises test, blocks reductase but also blocks aromatase which is why bodybuilders use it. I've read two cases of PFS-like crashes from zinc on those meat head forums. Seems like there is certainly some merit to this.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this as good as Zix?
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/shop/dht-inhibitors/kourosh-dht-blocker.html

It contains the same ingredients. How much cheaper is it if i make my own? and were can i get the chemicals needed?

Yes, that's absolutely the same. I don't have azelaic (actually I do but don't use it), but the rest seems similar. My formulation is probably stronger, but revivogen is what I thought the most similar. Needless to say, if you order the ingredients, you could keep it likely under $20-25, and those supplies will last you up to 1.5-2 years. So, that's about $2/month instead of $40.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on zix a couple of weeks. No benefit yet hair wise but this stuff makes me horny as f***

Zinc is strange, raises test, blocks reductase but also blocks aromatase which is why bodybuilders use it. I've read two cases of PFS-like crashes from zinc on those meat head forums. Seems like there is certainly some merit to this.
Theres several different test boosters that do this. Maca root, Fenugreek, ZMA. Take em all, don't do sh*t for hair. Also on finasteride which isn't doing anything, so not really suprising tbh.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Theres several different test boosters that do this. Maca root, Fenugreek, ZMA. Take em all, don't do sh*t for hair. Also on finasteride which isn't doing anything, so not really suprising tbh.

I've not seen any studies on those. And I think I trust a chemical element over some plant remedy

Still, different people will have different reactions

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've not seen any studies on those. And I think I trust a chemical element over some plant remedy

Still, different people will have different reactions
There are studies on them showing that they inhibit 5ar, but finasteride is just a more potent ar inhibitor than them. They're weight lifting supplements, not hair loss treatments.