My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I went back to check some of the older studies that zix is based on and it looks like zinc sulfate inhibits over 90% 5AR-1 and around 20% 5AR-2.

From https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7738354/
upload_2020-10-19_20-57-35.png

From https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3207614/ (this study didn't differentiate between the 2 types)
upload_2020-10-19_20-58-27.png

Based on these studies it does seem like theoretically you don't even need the B6 if the zinc concentration is high enough.

Last edited:

dragonjj109

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I went back to check some of the older studies that zix is based on and it looks like zinc sulfate inhibits over 90% 5AR-1 and around 20% 5AR-1.

View attachment 148834
From https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3207614/ (this study didn't differentiate between the 2 types)
View attachment 148835

Based on these studies it does seem like theoretically you don't even need the B6 if the zinc concentration is high enough.

Technically, You don't since 1% Zinc Pyrithione alone has been proven to promote hair growth when used daily. I've also come across anecdotes of people reversing/stopping hair loss after after taking oral zinc, but I've also read many anecdotes of people shedding faster after taking zinc.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does zix goes systemic? Because It's just not easy to get 1.0ml across my scalp, so up till now I've been covering my head with 3.0ml
@dragonjj109 You will likely absorb some % of zinc but who knows how much. This is a benefit of the B6 though I think - you can use a smaller amount of zinc and the B6 will amplify its effects vs 5AR.

Here's a summary of a few studies on topical zinc. It seems like it really depends on the type of zinc, its delivery method, and the type of skin (so probably don't use right after microneedling if you're worried about too much zinc): https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/health-disease/skin-health/minerals

Also, interestingly, it seems like zinc has some affinity for hair follicles?? From https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0148607183007002131:
In conclusion, this investigation has not demonstrated that the applications of 40% zinc oxide ointment results in a statistically significant increase in serum zinc concentration in human subjects over a 3-hr period nor inpatients receiving TPN over 10 days. It is theorized that zinc applied topically to subjects with normal serum zinc concentrations is bound in the hair follicles and slowly absorbed and stored or excreted resulting in no net increase in serum zinc concentrations. In patients receiving TPN who may be hypozincemic, the gradient for systemic absorption from such a storage depot would presumably be greater and therefore result in an enhanced absorption rate. Further research is required to test this theory.

Desolation

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I went back to check some of the older studies that zix is based on and it looks like zinc sulfate inhibits over 90% 5AR-1 and around 20% 5AR-1.

View attachment 148834
View attachment 148835

Vitamin B6 might play a role in down-regulating androgen receptors at higher concentrations according to this study:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1310983/

We next determined if hormone-induced transcription by several other steroid receptors (androgen, progesterone, and estrogen receptors) was analogously affected by alterations in vitamin B6 concentration. Analysis of gene expression mediated through the mouse mammary tumor virus promoter revealed that transcriptional activation of both the androgen and progesterone receptors was reduced by 35-40% under conditions of elevated vitamin B6 and enhanced by 60-90% in deficiency

But it also reduces estrogen receptors activity by 30% under the same conditions.

Desolation

My Regimen
Reaction score
That study is talking about (high concentration of) oral Vitamin B6 right? Do we know if this has the same topical, local effect on skin?

And you were also talking about zinc being an AI but that only happens in very high concentrations of zinc intake I think.

Assuming that some amount of zix is absorbed by the skin, i would guess the effect is the same but localized to scalp tissue. Zinc would both act as an aromatse and DHT inhibitor while B6 down regulates both estrogen/androgen receptors (Androgen more so). This effect is unlikely to occur throughout the body since the amount absorbed is so minuscule compared to the whole body and would "dissipate". This might explain why some people report maintenance with zix but no regrowth? Honestly, i am not sure.

cengci

My Regimen
Reaction score
How i know whats 5 alpha reductase type i have ?? (because zix only effect on type 1 )
i used zix for 20 days and i still continue that .
i feel pain when i used zix for first . (i pull up my hairs and skin was answered with pain .) My english is bad . You probably know what i'm say . I mean that pain is good thing . its evidence of zix effect on 5 alpha reductase right ??

thanks for all of you ...

@worm
@Pigeon

Last edited:

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys think using zix, and finasteride simultaneously is considered overkill? Ive been having itching and inflamed scalp since last year. Hoping that zix would counter those issues.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys think using zix, and finasteride simultaneously is considered overkill? Ive been having itching and inflamed scalp since last year. Hoping that zix would counter those issues.
Absolutely not overkill. finasteride inhibits mostly 5AR-2 and Zix mostly inhibits 5AR-1.

Also, is there even such a thing as overkill in the hairloss game? ;)

baldlygoing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How many mL of ethyl alcohol is everyone using? I've been using Zix for about a year but I bought 90 mL glass dropper bottles so I have to come to this thread every few months when I make a new batch because I forget the formula. I think I was using 50 mL of alcohol, 20 mL distilled water and 20 mL glycerin but now that alcohol percentage seems high based on glancing through some of these pages.

cengci

My Regimen
Reaction score
Best rule is 10% of it being ethanol.

@cengci What do you mean with pain? Explain it more.

before i using zix , my scalp is didn't answer when i was pulled the hair (i wasn't feel anything ). But when i start using zix , my scalp is answer when i was pulled the hair (i was feel the pulled) . Hopefly you understand that sentences.

thanks... @Pigeon

can you explain this ?? : How i know whats 5 alpha reductase type i have ?? (because zix only effect on type 1 )

Last edited:

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

no its not, since they inhibit 5ar type I (zix) and type II (finasteride).
hope your hpg axis can bear that tho

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m curious, if zix uses 50mL of distelled water and 10mL of alcahol then are we sure it is penatrating the scalp enough?

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m curious, if zix uses 50mL of distelled water and 10mL of alcahol then are we sure it is penatrating the scalp enough?
Well zinc sulfate has a small molecular weight (161.47 g/mol), at least small enough to theoretically easily penetrate the scalp.

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just want to get rid of this inflammation. I feel like buzzing my hair because of this heat.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just want to get rid of this inflammation. I feel like buzzing my hair because of this heat
If its an inflammation issue i suggest cetirizine 0,5% Daily (2ml) and most important 3 times a week of hydrocortisone butyrate 0,1% (locoidon)

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used Keto 2% for years and I never felt any oomph from it. I recently added an aspirin-based dandruff shampoo and the zinc based ones have been around forever of course. I do think that dandruff shampoos have traditionally been the only thing that helped with hair loss but still not very noticeable in effects. Keto seems to have poor temporary effects on presentation in that it seems to destroy the moisture in my hair and it takes a day or so for it to recover from being more so lifeless. I wonder about using Polysorbate 60 as a hair dressing but I haven't seen anything except Polysorbate 80 in health outlets.

I am very impressed with the level of discourse on this thread. It seems way more complicated that HRT but that is probably due to the fact that you guys have one arm tied behind your backs in terms of avoiding hormones which makes it a tough road to hoe without combining with other methods.

Last edited: