My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I currently use zix about 3mL each time and I use it 1-2 times a day. I also microneedle weekly at 1mm.
1. Is 3mL at a time too much?
2. Is it ok to apply right after needling or would this hurt the needling process?
I haven’t gotten great results zix 8 months in but I’m still gonna give it a chance since it has likely slowed down shedding even though I haven’t seen any improvement

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I currently use zix about 3mL each time and I use it 1-2 times a day. I also microneedle weekly at 1mm.
1. Is 3mL at a time too much?
2. Is it ok to apply right after needling or would this hurt the needling process?
I haven’t gotten great results zix 8 months in but I’m still gonna give it a chance since it has likely slowed down shedding even though I haven’t seen any improvement
You guys are going to make me figure out what this Zix thing is? Okay, now I see.

Why aren't we using minoxidil? You might be asking someone else but I put minoxidil on both before and after micro-needling. Most people wait until later that day or night. I am not sure that it matters. In the studies, they waited until the next day. I guess it seems like doing it right after might be absorbed better. I am currently using a 2.0 mm roller and I have the next four downward in size and have used them all. I like the 2.0. Somehow it both hurts more and less than the shorter ones. Since my hair is probably longer than yours, the 2.0 helps it not to get caught in my hair.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's the nice thing about zix. Even when it enters your bloodstream it's still only zinc and vit B6, for the vast majority this shouldn't affect anything systemic like for example man made chemical compounds like fina.

If only. Unfortunately something about the idea of using primitive ions (which the body normally likes keeping in a tight range in the blood) to inhibit enzymes just doesn't sit well with me. I can't handle any zinc topically, tried numerous forms (tried the zinc ricinoleate most recently). Even minute amounts make me feel off. Strange because taking oral zinc tablets or zinc from food doesn't do this to me, but then that gets metabolized and bound to transport proteins most likely, whereas topical immediately spikes the blood level.

But then again, I can't handle most things topically due to my ultraporous scalp, so my treatment options are severely limited haha.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys are going to make me figure out what this Zix thing is? Okay, now I see.

Why aren't we using minoxidil? You might be asking someone else but I put minoxidil on both before and after micro-needling. Most people wait until later that day or night. I am not sure that it matters. In the studies, they waited until the next day. I guess it seems like doing it right after might be absorbed better. I am currently using a 2.0 mm roller and I have the next four downward in size and have used them all. I like the 2.0. Somehow it both hurts more and less than the shorter ones. Since my hair is probably longer than yours, the 2.0 helps it not to get caught in my hair.
Zinc sulfate and B6, a replacement for finasteride for some people. Acts as a dht blocker, different method of action than min, i assume a lot of people use it in combination together.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If only. Unfortunately something about the idea of using primitive ions (which the body normally likes keeping in a tight range in the blood) to inhibit enzymes just doesn't sit well with me. I can't handle any zinc topically, tried numerous forms (tried the zinc ricinoleate most recently). Even minute amounts make me feel off. Strange because taking oral zinc tablets or zinc from food doesn't do this to me, but then that gets metabolized and bound to transport proteins most likely, whereas topical immediately spikes the blood level.

But then again, I can't handle most things topically due to my ultraporous scalp, so my treatment options are severely limited haha.
What were your sides from zix? I may have a more porous scalp too as even RU went systemic. But I really want to get off finasteride, my ED mostly has recovered after a week of no RU, but honestly idk what the normal is anymore lol

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score

So what do you use or plan to use.. transplant? Topical liposomal Duta?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
So what do you use or plan to use.. transplant? Topical liposomal Duta?

https://www.researchgate.net/public...tivity_pathways_in_prostatic_epithelial_cells

I am currently trialing this to see if I can use it to any reasonable extent without sides. Not much hope of a transplant if you can't maintain, I'm diffuse + receeding so first I need to have that part figured out.

What were your sides from zix? I may have a more porous scalp too as even RU went systemic. But I really want to get off finasteride, my ED mostly has recovered after a week of no RU, but honestly idk what the normal is anymore lol

The worst is ball ache which I get at even as low as 100 mg per 30 mL, doubt there is much point going below that.

Desolation

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really like the concept of ZIX as a topical, side effect free dht blocker. however, doesn't zinc act as an aromatase inhibitor at higher concentrations? and we all know that estradiol is a potent hair growth promoter.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really like the concept of ZIX as a topical, side effect free dht blocker. however, doesn't zinc act as an aromatase inhibitor at higher concentrations? and we all know that estradiol is a potent hair growth promoter.

Which is part of the problem of attempting to use primitive molecules like ions, fatty acids, etc. to inhibit 5 alpha reductase. They may inhibit it, but they will be non-selective and inhibit potentially other important enzymes as well.

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anybody have any before and after pics to show the benefits of zinc and B vitamin 6?

The thread creator - as well as another user - posted several images, but you should keep in mind this is a very mild treatment. This will be enough for maintenance in very lucky cases. The photos show maintenance or slowed progression rather than actual regrowth

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thread creator - as well as another user - posted several images, but you should keep in mind this is a very mild treatment. This will be enough for maintenance in very lucky cases. The photos show maintenance or slowed progression rather than actual regrowth
Thanks. I will say that you Zix guys are motivated. I keep getting emails about new posts on the thread.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
couple of questions I have came up with while reading through a dozen or so pages here.

1. About the combination of oral finasteride and zix. Do you guys think it has good potential, because I see some contradicting opinions here and there? From my perspective the amount of dht zix blocks is very minimal, and the 30% that finasteride leaves in the system may not be affected by zix at all. On the other hand, there is more dht produced in the scalp, so a topical 5ARIs would help combat that. Has anyone here had experience with the combination and seen improved results compared to monotherapy of finasteride only?

2. Also, it is not recommended to combine zix+min, what if I am taking oral min? Are the combination sides a given in that case?

3. At the very beginning warm did say not to mix it with anything else. I would be interested in trying to add a PGD2 inhibitor like ceti/indo/diclo or Ricinoleic, and stemox. Has anyone had any experience with it? Thinking of making one fat solution but have not thought about how to actually mix it all. 4. Would stemox be a good vehicle for zix?

Last edited:

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. About the combination of oral finasteride and zix. [...]
Since finasteride mostly inhibits 5ar type II, and zix seems to mostly inhibit 5ar type I, I would guess that they would complement each other well.

2. Also, it is not recommended to combine zix+min, [...]
I've been thinking about this, Joe (creator of Zix) references this study, ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/bjd/2003/00000149/00000002/art00019, as the basis for this and I'm assuming he drew his conclusion based on this part:

"No advantage was seen in using both the 5% minoxidil topical solution and the 1% pyrithione zinc shampoo."

I'm not sure that sentence is enough to say zinc (also zinc pyrithione is not zinc sulphate) and minoxidil don't play well together. If someone can find the full study maybe we could get some more details around this.

(sorry, I'm a new member so I can't post full links yet)

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2 questions
- does it really matter that the b6 brand is 'pure encapsulation'? I have another brand in my country, I hope it's ok
- is ethyl alcohol just a standard alcohol? I ask at the pharmacy and they gave me basically the same one I use to disinfect my roller

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 questions
- does it really matter that the b6 brand is 'pure encapsulation'? I have another brand in my country, I hope it's ok
- is ethyl alcohol just a standard alcohol? I ask at the pharmacy and they gave me basically the same one I use to disinfect my roller

1. Not in the slightest. As long as it's pure P5P.
2. Ethanol with no additives. Preferably 96%.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
96% you say... they only have 70% I think. Damn the pharmacies in my country are crap, they only have just the very basic stuff, any product that is slightly uncommon is just not in stock.
Anyway thanks I will try to find in ebay or something.

dragonjj109

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does zix goes systemic? Because It's just not easy to get 1.0ml across my scalp, so up till now I've been covering my head with 3.0ml

feelsbad

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a source for pure zinc sulfate? I am really sensitive to fillers to I would prefer to use a pure version