My Dr. Said No To Oral Minoxidil. Help?

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yes, sure. Cause you say so.
Any study to prove it ?

Search Dr Leona Yip Dermatologist. Won numerous awards for her work in Australia and England on hair loss. She widely promotes oral minoxidil for patients wanting regrowth.

Also sort your attitude out as well cos you come across as an arrogant dickhead and it aint a good look.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Search Dr Leona Yip Dermatologist. Won numerous awards for her work in Australia and England on hair loss. She widely promotes oral minoxidil for patients wanting regrowth.

Also sort your attitude out as well cos you come across as an arrogant dickhead and it aint a good look.

Lol, show me one paper . You want an award ? all you need it to find the right organization, and even an average Joe like you can wins tons of it.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, show me one paper . You want an award ? all you need it to find the right organization, and even an average Joe like you can wins tons of it.

You obviously suffer from hair loss which is why your on this page. What is your regime?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
You obviously suffer from hair loss which is why your on this page. What is your regime?
Topical minoxidil with tretinoin ( 5 % plus 0.01% ) . Every night
Nizoral shampoo ( every day, 2% , leave it for at least 15 minutes )

Anyway, if somebody want to use oral minoxidil ( I am against it ) , but at least do it right .

every 100 ml you have 5000 mg of minoxidil . So if you want 1mg :

5000 mg ------------------- 100ml
1mg -------------------------- X = 0,02 ml

just 0.02 ml . If you use it topically, you apply 100mg daily !!!!!!!! . Hope you now understand, why this oral thing is a none sense.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried topical and had close to no response after about a year of using it. I tried oral and have had significant regrowth after about 6 months. I don't have any awards though, so my input on personal observations might be worthless to some of you.

Is it a cure? No, but it helped, in conjunction with a bunch of other stuff, to give me back some hair and enable me to grow it out enough to wear a little bit of concealer and have the total illusion of a full head of hair. I'd love to not have to use concealer any more, but honestly taking 10 minutes every 3 days to reapply concealer and enjoy how I look is worth it, and was made possible partially from oral minoxidil.

Currently on 10mg. Tried 5mg in the past, but increased dosage in hopes of better results. I'm prescribed blood pressure medication, so the amount it lowers my blood pressure is a non issue, it puts me in the 135/80 range.... down from 160/100. Considering swapping from 1x 10mg at night to 2x 5mg, spread out so I dose every 12 hours.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical minoxidil with tretinoin ( 5 % plus 0.01% ) . Every night
Nizoral shampoo ( every day, 2% , leave it for at least 15 minutes )

Anyway, if somebody want to use oral minoxidil ( I am against it ) , but at least do it right .

every 100 ml you have 5000 mg of minoxidil . So if you want 1mg :

5000 mg ------------------- 100ml
1mg -------------------------- X = 0,02 ml

just 0.02 ml . If you use it topically, you apply 100mg daily !!!!!!!! . Hope you now understand, why this oral thing is a none sense.

I take tablet minoxidil. Would never consider drinking liquid

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried topical and had close to no response after about a year of using it. I tried oral and have had significant regrowth after about 6 months. I don't have any awards though, so my input on personal observations might be worthless to some of you.

Is it a cure? No, but it helped, in conjunction with a bunch of other stuff, to give me back some hair and enable me to grow it out enough to wear a little bit of concealer and have the total illusion of a full head of hair. I'd love to not have to use concealer any more, but honestly taking 10 minutes every 3 days to reapply concealer and enjoy how I look is worth it, and was made possible partially from oral minoxidil.

Currently on 10mg. Tried 5mg in the past, but increased dosage in hopes of better results. I'm prescribed blood pressure medication, so the amount it lowers my blood pressure is a non issue, it puts me in the 135/80 range.... down from 160/100. Considering swapping from 1x 10mg at night to 2x 5mg, spread out so I dose every 12 hours.

Did you experience a bad shed? 10mg sounds like a lot to me. My dermatologist only prescribed me 2.5mg every day.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you experience a bad shed? 10mg sounds like a lot to me. My dermatologist only prescribed me 2.5mg every day.

I'm using tablet also, loniten. I had a shed, but it really wasn't terrible, nothing compared to the shed with topical. I was actually really afraid of oral minoxidil at first. I was splitting 5mg into crumbs because I read in a study it could have a benefit with as little as .25mg. Topical (foam) gave me a really bad rash on my scalp.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm using tablet also, loniten. I had a shed, but it really wasn't terrible, nothing compared to the shed with topical. I was actually really afraid of oral minoxidil at first. I was splitting 5mg into crumbs because I read in a study it could have a benefit with as little as .25mg. Topical (foam) gave me a really bad rash on my scalp.

Yeah im on loniten. Only 6 weeks though so still early. Nothing to report yet.

What was your regrowth like and after how long did you notice?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah im on loniten. Only 6 weeks though so still early. Nothing to report yet.

What was your regrowth like and after how long did you notice?

I gained back maybe 20%. Enough to see a difference, but not enough to feel cured. Around month 9 after upping from 5mg to 10mg I noticed. I'm swapping to twice daily to see if having it active longer helps more than just a bigger dose.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I gained back maybe 20%. Enough to see a difference, but not enough to feel cured. Around month 9 after upping from 5mg to 10mg I noticed. I'm swapping to twice daily to see if having it active longer helps more than just a bigger dose.

Month 9 wow ok. Quite a long time then. Im wondering now if 2.5mg is too small and maybe to up to 5mg.

Youve experienced no sides?

el_duterino

Reaction score
I used 5mg a day
no sides maybe some elevated heart beat in the morning at times, during the first weeks
my main issue was the face skin degradation side effect - due to collagen reduction, a known and documented side effect of minoxidil.

That is why I had to stop oral. Too bad it was cheap and convenient, worked like topical or a bit better
I had these 5mg minoxidil pills from Thailand which are very cheap, like 5 USD for 100 pills

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used 5mg a day
no sides maybe some elevated heart beat in the morning at times, during the first weeks
my main issue was the face skin degradation side effect - due to collagen reduction, a known and documented side effect of minoxidil.

That is why I had to stop oral. Too bad it was cheap and convenient, worked like topical or a bit better
I had these 5mg minoxidil pills from Thailand which are very cheap, like 5 USD for 100 pills

El duterino good to see you again.

I have heard about the collagen issues. I supplementing with collagen tablets.

Did you experience a shed? What were your regrowth results like?

Anyone experience increased body hair growth?

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone explain what this collagen side effect is with oral minoxidil?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Month 9 wow ok. Quite a long time then. Im wondering now if 2.5mg is too small and maybe to up to 5mg.

Youve experienced no sides?

Yea, only side was lowered blood pressure and slightly raised heart rate. I had high blood pressure though beforehand.

el_duterino

Reaction score
El duterino good to see you again.

I have heard about the collagen issues. I supplementing with collagen tablets.

Did you experience a shed? What were your regrowth results like?

Anyone experience increased body hair growth?
no regrowth just thicker hair caliber and faster growth, less shedding. I am a good responder oral or topical
I take collagen supplements but it was not enough to counter the issue, which should not be a deal breaker if you are younger like under 40 of age . Yes body hair growth goes with it but who cares

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no regrowth just thicker hair caliber and faster growth, less shedding. I am a good responder oral or topical
I take collagen supplements but it was not enough to counter the issue, which should not be a deal breaker if you are younger like under 40 of age . Yes body hair growth goes with it but who cares

What do you experience with the collagen issue?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never had any issues with wrinkles or collagen related issues from oral minoxidil. I take 10mg, have been since last October.

Last edited: